Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #49711
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrunas View Post
Here's me and the missus locked and loaded - will be humping the fuel tank (except when she is driving, hahaha) but we've been tighter (1400miles in Central America on a 250)

Thanks for the quick reply Mongle will do the 25/29 for sure.
I'd be looking at 25f/29r as a minimum.
2up, closer to 25f/32r.

On the seal for any good distance and up the rear to 36 or so.

The front should be good at 25 though.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #49712
ratdawg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
Have a fun trip, and stop posting pictures of your bike before I go out and spend money on black rims and a new front end! That's surely one of the best looking DR's out there.
+1 dongie, that is one sweet bike Good luck on your trip!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #49713
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 806
rear spring

Is this a stock spring? If not, how is the weight determined?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #49714
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
I disagree, absolutely the chain links will flatten out from rubbing the guides, especially if certain types of dirt get ground into the plastic. It works just like sand paper. I will see if i have and old MX chain lying around to take a pic of.
Here are a couple pics of my DID 520 O-ring chain off my YZ250. The chain is up there in hours but still has life left. There is very little play between the links and the side plates are more worn than the OP pics. And notice the groves in the chain guide.

bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #49715
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post

The only other part that contacts the top of the chain is the lower roller.
But when the top of the chain goes around the CS sprocket the top then becomes the bottom and contacts the lower guide right in the front of the swingarm. When looking at the chain as it sits on top of the swingarm the top of the plates will always have more wear.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #49716
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldomike View Post
Is this a stock spring? If not, how is the weight determined?
That's not a stock spring. Normally you can look up the spring rate in Eibach's motorcycle catalog, but I don't see your spring number in there. They don't even list an 800 series spring for bikes.

In their motorsports catalog your part # is listed on page 19 as being 1100 lbs/in, which is about 19kg/mm. That sounds WAAAAY too stiff.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #49717
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Singer View Post
That is incorrect. The pressure listed on a tire as max has nothing to do with seating the bead. The max pressure is "required" when running at the tires max load rating. If the tire pressure is lower then max, then the load rating is also reduced.
Like I said...I never saw anyone do it. Max load rating on most dual sport tires is around 450-500lbs per tire at Max pressure. So yeh, I guess if you can add up 1000lbs some how on a DR you should run max pressure...

He is running the TKC 80s wich have a combined load rating of 1106 lbs at max load/pressure...He looks pretty skinny- I don't think he is going to overload the tire!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #49718
eldomike
Who Cares

Wow...the PO of my bike said that spring was on it when he bought it and it was way to stiff...ya think !

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
That's not a stock spring. Normally you can look up the spring rate in Eibach's motorcycle catalog, but I don't see your spring number in there. They don't even list an 800 series spring for bikes.

In their motorsports catalog your part # is listed on page 19 as being 1100 lbs/in, which is about 19kg/mm. That sounds WAAAAY too stiff.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #49719
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Wow...the PO of my bike said that spring was on it when he bought it and it was way to stiff...ya think !
from what i found on the webernets:

"You can see the number.
For example, 0800-250-1100

0800 means the free height , 8 inch.
250 means inner diameter. , 2.5 inch
1100 means the spring rate , 1100 lbs per inch"

which means you've got one hell of a tight spring on that sucker.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 10:06 AM Reason: simplerfied
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #49720
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Like I said...I never saw anyone do it. Max load rating on most dual sport tires is around 450-500lbs per tire at Max pressure. So yeh, I guess if you can add up 1000lbs some how on a DR you should run max pressure...

He is running the TKC 80s wich have a combined load rating of 1106 lbs at max load/pressure...He looks pretty skinny- I don't think he is going to overload the tire!
Like I said, you are wrong about the meaning of max inflation as listed on the sidewall. It is NOT the max pressure for mounting a tire as you stated. It is the pressure required to obtain the tire's max load rating. That is not to say that it is always the best when under the max load. It is what it is and not what you stated. I simply pointed that out. Learn and move on OK?

I made no comment on the merit or lack thereof in reference to your recomended tire pressure. Why do you feel the need to defend it in a reply to my comment?
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #49721
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
But when the top of the chain goes around the CS sprocket the top then becomes the bottom and contacts the lower guide right in the front of the swingarm.
I assume you are referring to the lower chain roller?

Quote:
When looking at the chain as it sits on top of the swingarm the top of the plates will always have more wear.
Absolutely. Not having dealt with the issue to this extent on previous bikes, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing all I can extend the chain life. Thanks for the pics and the input. matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #49722
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Here are a couple pics of my DID 520 O-ring chain off my YZ250. The chain is up there in hours but still has life left. There is very little play between the links and the side plates are more worn than the OP pics. And notice the groves in the chain guide.
Interesting. I've not seen many chains worn that way without some metal to metal contact. Perhaps that is the competition chain DID offers? My '07 WR250F also runs a 520 O-ring chain (stock), and the original is still on there. The links look normal ... no flattening down at all.

BTW, the thing you describe as a "chain guide" in your pics ... is not a chain guide. It's the rubber strip that wraps all the way round the forward part of the swing arm and extends about half way down. (forgot "official" name for this part) They ALL get grooves in them like yours. They serve two purposes ... they protect swing arm and they quiet things when chain "whaps" up and down at certain RPM and loads. (normal).

The chain guide (on the DR650) is that white plastic thing just below the rear sprocket. It has a replaceable wear block ... as does the one on my WR250F. Take it apart to see how this works.

Can't imagine what has worn your chain link plates so flat. Maybe it's the metal aftermarket chain guard (a good thing) you've got around your countershaft sprocket? Rubbing?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 11:19 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #49723
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Mike,
Jesse at Kientech sells Eibach springs ... he may be able to help.
http://www.kientech.com/

I had a 7.6 kg. spring (now sold) on my shock. (bought from Jesse)
Could your spring be an 8.0 kg. spring? That would be correct for someone over 250 lbs. or going 2 up with luggage. But a spring that heavy would need upgraded rebound damping to handle that heavy of a spring. Make sense?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #49724
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
I assume you are referring to the lower chain roller?

Absolutely. Not having dealt with the issue to this extent on previous bikes, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing all I can extend the chain life. Thanks for the pics and the input. matt
The roller and the guide in front of the rear sprocket.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #49725
eldomike
Who Cares

Yeah that makes sense...just trying to figure it out so I could offer it up to the "heavy" DR650 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Mike,
Jesse at Kientech sells Eibach springs ... he may be able to help.
http://www.kientech.com/

I had a 7.6 kg. spring (now sold) on my shock. (bought from Jesse)
Could your spring be an 8.0 kg. spring? That would be correct for someone over 250 lbs. or going 2 up with luggage. But a spring that heavy would need upgraded rebound damping to handle that heavy of a spring. Make sense?