Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #50866
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My DR feels weird on pavement when turning the bars for a slow turn,like into the driveway.
I have T-63's on mine and haven't felt this. Suggest getting the front end up in the air and go lock to lock slowly to see if there's resistance anywhere. Since most turns are "leans" or countersteering, the slow, sharp turn is different.

Had a buddy do this and he actually had a small detent in the upper bearing race from so many miles basically going straight. Couldn't feel it with the bike on the ground.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #50867
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Suggest getting the front end up in the air and go lock to lock slowly to see if there's resistance anywhere.

Had a buddy do this and he actually had a small detent in the upper bearing race from so many miles basically going straight. Couldn't feel it with the bike on the ground.
Had it on a stand and there isn't any resistance.

From initial post... " (Front end is smooth turning when on a stand) "

none on the ground either.

could be an imperceiveable detent in the bearing, but I almost never go straight for any length of time.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #50868
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Turned out to be a bad battery. Some kind of unusual vibration induced internal damage that caused a flaky connection at the ground.

New battery = happy DR

I am now adding a new big-block front tire, bigger CS sprocket, and a simple stand for the summer. Love this bike but still dream of an XT660Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnlight View Post
I was at the gas station during a long ride over the weekend and when I turned the key to get my 2005 restarted, there was no power to the bars and not response from the starter. I went fishing for what seemed like a loose battery connections and after fiddling around for a few the power came back and it started right up. Miles down the road we pulled over for a break and again I got the same lack of power when I went to get going again. Did some more fiddling with fuses, connections, plastic plugs and ended up just push starting the bike for the rest of the day which worked well enough. Dove back into the bike last night and did find a pretty dirty ground side connection on the battery so I cleaned that up and got the power back to the indicator lights and everywhere else! The battery is sitting at 12.7 volts by the way and is one year old. When I tried to start it, I only got a click from the relay and the power went out again. After a few seconds, it came back and I could get another click but nothing else and this happened about 4 times before I was back to no power anywhere.

Is it the relay or the starter? Those could be bad but what would affect the power up front for lights and indicators etc. other than simply a bad battery connection. Is my connection just too weak and would it act this way if that was the case? I need to tear it down tonight and figure this out. I don't normally resort to dealer work but I am starting to feel worthless here.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #50869
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Carb issues

Man if your stumped with carb issues find a local guy with a good running DR650 thats been jetted. I help out locals myself, last week I installed a Procycle jet kit for a fellow I met on DRRiders.

The BST is very well covered here in the BST Bible thread, the DR650 thread and there are threads on Thumper Talk and DRRiders. So, I've used those threads and the BST carb is no mystery now. Jeff at Procycle has helped greatly when I got stumped last year on my TM40 air leak. It ended up being the adhesive on the adapter rings...

Another time I kept having a lean surge on a BST, ended up being crossed threads on my choke nut.. One time I had a BST surging bad and getting horrible economy at the same time... ended up being a poorly installed DJ needle. It had a missing washer. Plus the float height was way off.

Most of the time carb problems are self inflicted. They are very simple devices once you know what the parts look like and how they function. The service manual explains it well.

If its loading up on top and it ran right before the jet kit... you have the proper jets installed, then some thing is wrong with the needle assembly, the rubber diaphragm or the slide or the float level is letting in too much fuel. With ethanol blended fuel, the rubber tipped float weight needle valve takes a beating if left sitting in fuel. I've had to replace mine when I let it sit a couple months with treated e-10. I run my carbs dry now when in storage or use 100% gasoline with stabil and mystery oil or two stroke oil.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #50870
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,330
Quote:
My DR feels weird on pavement when turning the bars for a slow turn,like into the driveway. Almost feels like there is a small detent in the steering (Front end is smooth turning when on a stand) that lets the front go free after a short period of resistance. It's really weird, because it feels almost like there is a small rut in the road trying to keep you straight, then it begins to turn suddenly. kinda like grooved pavement, but with only one groove.

I'm 99 & 44/100's percent sure it's not the steering bearings.
Sounds exactly like steering head bearings to me. Have you checked the races to make sure they aren't notched up?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #50871
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
...worn flat in the center...
my death wings were really flat in the center and had a horrible edge to roll over into turns, felt very unsettling. new tires feel great.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #50872
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
my death wings were really flat in the center and had a horrible edge to roll over into turns, felt very unsettling. new tires feel great.
I have a stock Trailwing front tire and I think I'll try is and see if it goes away. A lot easier than taking the steering head apart.
That's next if the tire doesn't fix it. If it is the tire, I'll just deal with it and be satisfied that it isn't a serious problem, like bearings. Gotta have knobbys for what I ride.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #50873
TDY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
My DR feels weird on pavement when turning the bars for a slow turn,like into the driveway. Almost feels like there is a small detent in the steering (Front end is smooth turning when on a stand) that lets the front go free after a short period of resistance. It's really weird, because it feels almost like there is a small rut in the road trying to keep you straight, then it begins to turn suddenly. kinda like grooved pavement, but with only one groove.

I wonder if it's the tire (Bridgestone ED-03 full DOT knobby) worn flat in the center (not obvious from looking at it) and having to climb back up onto the larger side knobs. Or could it just be the forks needing a brace. Anyone else getting this?
Before you eliminate the steering bearings as the cause it is well worth while to remove the front wheel and both fork tubes and check again. The inertia of the mass of the wheel and forks can easily mask the notches in a half dead bearing. Also remember the load on the bearing is in the opposite direction when the bike is on a stand verses on the ground so a bad bearing may not seem so bad.
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #50874
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Had it on a stand and there isn't any resistance.

From initial post... " (Front end is smooth turning when on a stand) "

none on the ground either.
Doh! No responding before coffee!!!

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #50875
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
Before you eliminate the steering bearings as the cause it is well worth while to remove the front wheel and both fork tubes and check again. The inertia of the mass of the wheel and forks can easily mask the notches in a half dead bearing. Also remember the load on the bearing is in the opposite direction when the bike is on a stand verses on the ground so a bad bearing may not seem so bad.
Probably will do that as long as it's on the stand anyway. It's not fun lifting that bulk.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #50876
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Doh! No responding before coffee!!!

You West Coast guys sleep so late.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #50877
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
You West Coast guys sleep so late.

But, when the Red Sox or the Yankees play on the West Coast, you have to stay up late to watch.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #50878
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I wonder if it's the tire (Bridgestone ED-03 full DOT knobby) worn flat in the center (not obvious from looking at it) and having to climb back up onto the larger side knobs. Or could it just be the forks needing a brace. Anyone else getting this?
It's the "Gritty" tire for sure. Put a street tiire or 50/50 and I'd bet problem goes away. Knobbies are weird enough ... a worn out one is a disaster!
(makes me crazy!)

You could, just for laughs, raise up the front of the bike and grab fork tubes to feel for any movement. It's probably fine ... but pretty easy to check it out.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #50879
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
This was exactly my impression when I tried to get a few extra miles out of the OEM front tire. Replace the tire, steering feel will return to normal.

Just in case you want to check for a detent in the steering head bearing, put the front tire on a piece or two of slippery plastic to decrease the friction between the tire and the ground, and turn the bars slowly lock-to-lock. You'll feel a detent if there is on. Found one on my KLR this way.

Lex

Quote:

Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #50880
dharmasister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
some grifter once suggested I should hang out here some as you guys could use a little female influence. seeing as I can't help with any of the mechanical, here's my contribution..

a little RR on what me and Bezzy have been up to..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701897

Its not an adventure until someone says WTF are we doing here??'
dharmasister is offline   Reply With Quote