User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #53686
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
PMB saddlebag rack prevents use of helmet lock

Crap - I went to Princess Auto today, wanted to lock my helmet, and noticed for the first time since I installed it last weekend that the PMB saddlebag rack prevents the use of the helmet lock.

Not sure how easy it would be to relocate the lock. Probably more effort than it is worth.

Might be possible to drill the rack so the key passes through it.

Has anyone else solved this issue?

jon_l screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 03:15 PM
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #53687
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
PC has you covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Crap - I went to Princess Auto today, wanted to lock my helmet, and noticed for the first time since I installed it last weekend that the PMB saddlebag rack prevents the use of the helmet lock.

Not sure how easy it would be to relocate the lock. Probably more effort than it is worth.

If you have bought a hand gun lately you may have the perfect lock already.

Small and compact enough to fit in your pocket, jacket or on our belt loop, HelmetLok is designed to lock your helmet to ANY make of bike using the handlebar or frame as an anchor point.
Don’t be weighed down carrying your helmet around anymore! Just use the simple to operate, carabineer-style HelmetLok and you can secure your helmet using the outward opening mechanism which conveniently fits any model bike. The combination can be reset to the number of your choice. Enjoy the security and freedom of HelmetLok.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #53688
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I am not going to

Quote:
Would like to hear feedback on the 705s.

The Wolfman tank bag is great - I love mine.
Put them on till I put 2,000 more miles on the stock tires and it has been very hot here in Phoenix, today 114 so I am inside on the computer under the a/c and fan with a cold one in hand waiting for football to start.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #53689
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Helmet Lock

[QUOTE=jon_l;16726396]Crap - I went to Princess Auto today, wanted to lock my helmet, and noticed for the first time since I installed it last weekend that the PMB saddlebag rack prevents the use of the helmet lock.

Yes, had the same issue. You can grab that sucker with a large wrench or channel locks and bend it out or in for better access with the key without breaking the weld. At least I did. You can then buy a short security cable, as is used to lock bicycle seats to the bicycle. This is just a cable with a loop at each end, no lock incorporated. You don't want a lock incorporated, because you're going to loop one end through your helmet chin bar or D-ring or where ever you want, and lock the other loop to your frame mounted lock.
If you want you can buy a longer cable, as you would to lock a bicycle to a post. These are also available as a thin cable without a lock incorporated, so they coil up small enough to stick in your pocket or stow somewhere on you bike. This is useful if you want to pass it through a sleeve and lock your riding jacket along with your helmet. These cables are cheap enough, that I have both.
The advantage of these cables is, of course, that you already have the key, the ignition key.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 08-27-2011 at 03:51 PM Reason: add title
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #53690
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

Yeah...........I've carried my helmet and jacket around where ever I go for 40 years now. It never seems to be an issue.

I never leave it on the bike unless I'm going hiking and then I use a small bicycle cable lock.

..........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #53691
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Helmet lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Yeah...........I've carried my helmet and jacket around where ever I go for 40 years now. It never seems to be an issue.

I never leave it on the bike unless I'm going hiking and then I use a small bicycle cable lock.

..........shu
I can understand a thief not wanting to steal a 40 year old helmet..

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #53692
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
I can understand a thief not wanting to steal a 40 year old helmet..

Art

..........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #53693
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:

I never used the stock helmet lock anyway as the surrounding area was always dirty, which got my Arai dirty. I use the same thing I've used for years - a small luggage type combination lock like the Master Lock 630D. The hasp goes through the D-ring and over the clutch or brake lever. It will fit over the lever but is too narrow to slide past the ball on the end. Fits easily in a pocket, transfers from bike to bike and no key to lose.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #53694
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I posted this yesterday, but in the "DR650 Pictures" thread; meant to post here. Fast guy on his DR650 (from Bay Area Rider's Forum)... http://www.youtube.com/v/M3QZu211oZE&hl
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #53695
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
i'm trying to figure out what that side rack piece even does for you?

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #53696
greenzx9r
n00b

Oddometer: 1
dr 650 questions.....

Hi all, first post for me.... does anyone know if there are any front disk covers that fit the dr 650? Lots of things i want to do to mine but i will try and find the info in this forum before i start asking too many questions..... Thanks people.
greenzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #53697
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenzx9r View Post
Hi all, first post for me.... does anyone know if there are any front disk covers that fit the dr 650? Lots of things i want to do to mine but i will try and find the info in this forum before i start asking too many questions..... Thanks people.
Procycle has them.
Use this link then scroll down to the bottom of this section. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #53698
JMR
ridgerunner

Oddometer: 44
I pulled the trigger on a brand new DR today!

Did a 24 mile break-in run then did an oil change at sunset...

Oil is pretty discolored...

And had this crud hanging out after draining all the oil...

It looks to be loose gasket sealing material.

And more crud on the filter...

And there was no drain plug washer! (Could feel this when untightening.)

Sure glad I changed it right away!

Also the chain was too loose with a good 2-inches of play. I tightened it up a smidge for a bit more than 1-inch play. Axle nut seemed a bit too tight (had to use a mallet on the Suzi tool kit cheater bar to loosen it).

First ride impression:
----------------------
I LOVE THIS BIKE!

EDIT 2011-08-29: I was wrong about the missing gasket. It is actually there, but it is a metal crush type. FALSE CALL!

JMR screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 08:41 AM
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #53699
Bruizer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wicked

First time poster, have been looking through the thread and decided to add some pics of my bike and list my mods. I bought my 05 model second hand in 09 with almost 7000k's on the clock. The first thing was tyres Dunlop 606's front and back. (Awsome tyres rain or shine, dirt or road) I added a Two brothers pipe and ground out the weld on the original header pipe. Then the rear sprocket got changed to a 45t and i have 3 front sprockets i change for different types of riding a 13t for serious bush adventures, a 14t for dayweekend trips, and the 15t for daily commuting to work.They are all very basic and easy mods to improve the bike, but the suspesion needed attention,So here is the best modification you can do to your DR650 (in my opinion anyway). It is putting Drz400 Forks and triple clamps, got them and the stock rear shock resprung and vavled by Jay Foreman of RG3. and the improvement in this bike is incredible. They should come factory with this suspension i reckon..It now has 25000k's on the clock and i get nearly 250 k's out of a tank of fuel to empty. Standard engine has plenty of grunt for me(especially with the 13t onthe front) and now it handles good too. oh and i have a twin air airfilter, bark busters on renthal bars with 1 inch risers a 2006 RM 250 front guard and a homemade bash plate.....
Attached Images

Bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #53700
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i'm trying to figure out what that side rack piece even does for you?
They help keep the saddlebags out of the left wheel-well and further off the exhaust on the other side. They are small, but they seem to do the job, and unlike TCIs, they look fine without luggage, which for me is most of the time.