Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #54286
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
I swear by RENTHAL sprockets-hard to come by here in the USA(like most decent things in life :p)
No. Any motorcycle shop can easily get Renthal sprockets. All the major distributors carry them but Renthal doesn't make any steel rear sprockets for the DR650.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #54287
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,754
I contacted PBI about a month ago and they said they are setting up to make steel sprockets. I requested a 46T rear for the DR650, but I have no idea if they'll think that's a good size to manufacture.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #54288
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Perhaps unknown to you! Maybe you need to get out more.

PBI has been making high quality sprockets here in the good ol' US of A for over 30 years.
Their sprockets are made here in Oregon by Pesznecker Brother Inc. PBI makes lots of other metal products in addition to sprockets.
One of your competitors sell PBI sprockets. TPI I believe? The reputation among mostly KLR users was not great. This back about 5 or 6 years ago. Like 5000 miles from a countershaft sprocket. Hard to know with DR riders ... not that many distance riders.

What sort of current feedback are you getting from customers on the longevity of PBI sprockets? Will they outlast OEM Suzuki sprockets?
How much are they? (15T / 42T)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #54289
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
One of your competitors sell PBI sprockets. TPI I believe? The reputation among mostly KLR users was not great. This back about 5 or 6 years ago. Like 5000 miles from a countershaft sprocket. Hard to know with DR riders ... not that many distance riders.

What sort of current feedback are you getting from customers on the longevity of PBI sprockets? Will they outlast OEM Suzuki sprockets?
Kientech sells them too. I'm running a PBI 520 CS right now, but I only have 2K on it.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #54290
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
No. Any motorcycle shop can easily get Renthal sprockets. All the major distributors carry them but Renthal doesn't make any steel rear sprockets for the DR650.
And why would you want a steel one........if a Renthal spocket is good enough on a 160BHP Ducati v-twin,it's good enough for a 30 something BHP DR650?
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #54291
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,558
Quote:
And why would you want a steel one........if a Renthal spocket is good enough on a 160BHP Ducati v-twin,it's good enough for a 30 something BHP DR650?
you wont get near the mileage from aluminum
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #54292
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,227
I don't think many 160 HP Ducati's have crossed the Simpson.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #54293
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Yea! Renthal Aluminum! I think you should fit all three of your DR650's with Ally sprockets for S. America! Saves weight too!

(just pack four or five spares ... each! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #54294
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, what they said. And horsepower has nothing to do with it..
Aluminum is good for a race bike or for a high performance setup. The DR650 is neither. Steel makes a lot more sense for dual sport riding. It will last longer which means the chain will last longer. The only benefit to running an alloy sprocket is you can save a pound or so of weight on the wheel. For a pro level MX rider it can make a difference. Most DR riders will be much more interested in drivetrain life than they will be in saving a pound.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #54295
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I have not heard of or seen any issues. I don't know anything about the KLR guys experience but I have to think that was whatever the problem was it was something unusual. I've been selling PBI since I first started in the motorcycle business back in the 80s.
Pricing is right in there with other name brand sprocket companies (Sunstar,Renthal). $18-$22 for fronts. Just like Renthal, they do not make steel rears to fit the DR650.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #54296
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Fng!

Well, I've been riding a 2005 KLR 250 since mid May, my 1st and until today, only steed. Went to take the test today to upgrade my moto permit to a full endorsement. Passed with flying colors. Came home to my wife saying she had a surprise... She told me to grab my helmet and we went for a ride. To my surprise she had purchased me a 2006 DR 650!

So today I joined the club!

That was late this afternoon, So I've not yet got a chance to take any pics. But I will when I get the chance. As I said, It's a 2006 with 3001 miles when I took the keys, a few more now... Has the airbox mod, and jetting done with factory exhaust. That won't last long.

This thing is an absolute night and day difference compared to my 250. But I guess that goes without being said. My only current complaints are the factory Suzuki gel seat, and the suspension. The seat is horrible. Planning on upgrading to a Seat Concepts as soon as I can afford it, have heard nothing bt good about there seats. As far as the suspension, I have to believe it has lowering links... Anybody have the centerline dimensions of a factory link vs. a lowereing link? I would really like it to be a little taller, and I'm nota long legged guy. It's just plain low! I'll start withe the links and go from there, upgrading the suspension as money allows. Is it truly worth going to the hassle and money to convert to USD forks vs. building the factory forks?

Sorry for the long post and crazy talk. Just super stoked about the new bike. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #54297
ungeheuer
DRongo

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Ungeheuer:Curious about the clearance and location. Do you have a pic of the sensor mounted on the bike?
Here ya go..

Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #54298
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
2,000km old PBR sprocket...
Run with a ScottOiler.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #54299
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Oil capacity

Help needed please , can anyone tell me what amount of oil i need for a full strip down ( clutch cover off) and new filters???, i know it says 2300mm on the casing but it usually takes more on full offs
Cheers Phil
Old 09-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #54300
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Help needed please , can anyone tell me what amount of oil i need for a full strip down ( clutch cover off) and new filters???, i know it says 2300mm on the casing but it usually takes more on full offs
Cheers Phil
Oil change 2300 ml.
With a filter 2400 ml.
Overhaul 2600 ml.

The main thing is to check the level as per the manual.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ejuxyilyjd
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote