Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #54286
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenario27 View Post
Is there a thread on radios? what to look? brands?
If you're referring to bike to bike coms....this is from my local riding group. Sorry for the highlights but it pops on there when searching for the word.

RADIO: Yaesu VX-170 (discontinued) or the 170 replacement; FT-270r
(BUY: Ham Radio Outlet)

NEEDED ACC: Yaesu CT91 adapter cable
(BUY: Hame Radio Outlet)

HELMET KIT and HARNESS: The Baja Designs 65-0001 Radio kit without radio.
(make sure to order this kit with a "two prong Yaesu adapter")
(BUY: Baja Designs)

OPTIONAL ANTENNAS for RANGE: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna (tuned to your operating freq) or the COMET SMA24, or the DIAMOND SRH77CA
(JAT is currently testing ALL of these antennas for best range in all freq ranges for our "riding" type use - stay tuned!!!)
(BUY: Smiley Antenna, or Ham Radio Outlet)

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...age__hl__radio

Here's the whole thread and the system is outlined about 4 posts into it. I use the recommended stuff and even though the headset is pricey, the comm is clear and no wind noise, etc. Great to have when out with my son or riding either lead or sweep on a group ride.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #54287
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I've got 21,000 miles out of my stock sprockets/chain, cush bumpers, etc. Has anyone got feedback on what to replace these with, ie, the procycle complete kit,(EK chain). I like the OEM parts, just wondering if there was something a bit cheaper, but still good out there?
Thanks
Opinions will vary on this. Really depends how far you want to go on your next Chain/Sprocket set up.

21K miles on stock chain/sprockets is really good! For reference ... I got just 10,000 miles on one stock set and 12K miles on another. This includes fairly hard riding and about 20% off road.

My last set up went 25K miles (could have gone further) I am running a 525 DID X-Ring, VM-2 chain. OEM Suzuki sprockets. I change front sprocket at 10K miles or so. This adds a bit of life to the chain, IMO.

The EK chains are pretty good and cheaper than DID. JT sprockets are pretty good too but won't match OEM on miles but best 2nd choice, IMO.

"Miracle" sprockets making outrageous claims are fantasy ... they will eat your chain up. (too hard)

Unknown sprockets (Like PBI) should be avoided. If you shop around you can find OEM Suzuki items pretty cheap. Try Babbit's. Same goes for the DID chain. The VM-2 is an older model. Now there is a newer one out there. I'm sticking with the VM-2 for now. The VM-2 is expensive but is really really hard to wear out. In 25K miles mine never needed adjustment.

There is tons here on this and on the Index thread ... which every new DR650 owner should read ... ALL OF IT
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32 .
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #54288
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Thanks Adv Grifter,
I guess I'll stick with the OEM. I would like to try Procycle's complete kit, but just not sure that I will get good as good of life out of them. I'll check Babbits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Opinions will vary on this. Really depends how far you want to go on your next Chain/Sprocket set up.

21K miles on stock chain/sprockets is really good! For reference ... I got just 10,000 miles on one stock set and 12K miles on another. This includes fairly hard riding and about 20% off road.

My last set up went 25K miles (could have gone further) I am running a 525 DID X-Ring, VM-2 chain. OEM Suzuki sprockets. I change front sprocket at 10K miles or so. This adds a bit of life to the chain, IMO.

The EK chains are pretty good and cheaper than DID. JT sprockets are pretty good too but won't match OEM on miles but best 2nd choice, IMO.

"Miracle" sprockets making outrageous claims are fantasy ... they will eat your chain up. (too hard)

Unknown sprockets (Like PBI) should be avoided. If you shop around you can find OEM Suzuki items pretty cheap. Try Babbit's. Same goes for the DID chain. The VM-2 is an older model. Now there is a newer one out there. I'm sticking with the VM-2 for now. The VM-2 is expensive but is really really hard to wear out. In 25K miles mine never needed adjustment.

There is tons here on this and on the Index thread ... which every new DR650 owner should read ... ALL OF IT
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32 .
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #54289
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Procycle complete kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Thanks Adv Grifter,
I guess I'll stick with the OEM. I would like to try Procycle's complete kit, but just not sure that I will get good as good of life out of them. I'll check Babbits.
I've got 36K plus miles on Jack (2006 DR650) and got about 20K on the stock chain and sprockets. Next came the "bargain" chain/sprocket set. That lasted 10K.

Now running the Procycle set with new cush drive, front and rear wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearings for the last 6K miles. All is good and only one chain adjust (and the 2nd adjust with new rear tire installed) during the break-in period. The chain is starting to get a little loose, so the third adjust will be needed soon.

I use 30 wt engine oil to lube the chain often (about 150 mile interval). Seems to be over kill, but seems to make the chain and sprockets last longer. A 2 ounce plastic squeeze bottle makes a dandy oil applicator and doesn't leak in the tool roll. That's enough oil for about 10 chain lubes.

The Procycle center stand makes lubing the chain a quick job, and is a life saver for changing tires or working on the bike... especially in the field.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #54290
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Thanks smilin jack,
Yeah, the center stand makes cleaning the chain so much easier, I lube it about every 500-700 miles. Speaking of cush drive, and wheel bearings, when is a good time to replace them? I was thinking of replacing the cush bumpers when I do the chain. I've had my 2009 for about a yr and a half(new). I'm thinking 21,000 is a lot of miles during that time, but have no idea how long wheel bearings last.

QUOTE=smilin jack;16826036]I've got 36K plus miles on Jack (2006 DR650) and got about 20K on the stock chain and sprockets. Next came the "bargain" chain/sprocket set. That lasted 10K.

Now running the Procycle set with new cush drive, front and rear wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearings for the last 6K miles. All is good and only one chain adjust (and the 2nd adjust with new rear tire installed) during the break-in period. The chain is starting to get a little loose, so the third adjust will be needed soon.

I use 30 wt engine oil to lube the chain often (about 150 mile interval). Seems to be over kill, but seems to make the chain and sprockets last longer. A 2 ounce plastic squeeze bottle makes a dandy oil applicator and doesn't leak in the tool roll. That's enough oil for about 10 chain lubes.

The Procycle center stand makes lubing the chain a quick job, and is a life saver for changing tires or working on the bike... especially in the field.

Dave[/QUOTE]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #54291
MatatuPuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
This sucks for first post but here goes... So I have a new 2011 DR650 which I absolutely love. I ordered the Procycle backside clean up kit and installed it no problem. I'm about a mile away from home when the bike suddenly loses all power and I coast to a stop. There is smoke coming from fried electrical wires under the headlight cowl. I look under the rear fender and the wires leading to the new LED license plate light are fried as well. I apparently did something wrong on the install. Any ideas?

Bummer is this likely won't be covered under the warranty.
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #54292
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
When I installed the DR250 taillight it was a simple plug and play operation. That is a real bummer on a new bike. I hope things work out for you.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #54293
MatatuPuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
When I installed the DR250 taillight it was a simple plug and play operation. That is a real bummer on a new bike. I hope things work out for you.
Yep, the taillight was a no problem plug in. The LED license plate light had to be spiced with the bike's wiring. I'm sure that's where things went wrong.
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #54294
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Unknown sprockets (Like PBI) should be avoided.
Perhaps unknown to you! Maybe you need to get out more.

PBI has been making high quality sprockets here in the good ol' US of A for over 30 years.
Their sprockets are made here in Oregon by Pesznecker Brother Inc. PBI makes lots of other metal products in addition to sprockets.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 02:46 PM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #54295
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Procycle, I know in your 525 set, you provide an EK 0 ring chain, are the sprockets PBI?
I think maintenance is key to long drive train life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Perhaps unknown to you! Maybe you need to get out more.

PBI has been making high quality sprockets here in the good ol' US of A for over 30 years.
Their sprockets are made here in Oregon by Pesznecker Brother Inc. PBI makes lots of other metal products in addition to sprockets.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #54296
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanas View Post

Cutting the tire you need a VERY sharp knife and a very used tire. Off course i would not recommend this if you are planning on just installing a new tube,
Dude! I hope you are cutting AWAY from your crotch!

Lex
Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #54297
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 429
Can't get the carb settings correct? Get a portable gas analyzer. It's what I told scottbed months ago:
"From your posts, you are lost in the woods. The analyzer will light your way."

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Its taken me a while... but at last I have my TM40 sorted. I've had plenty of past experience with EFI fuelling issues, but I really struggled to get this carb nicely setup. As you see from my earlier posts, power delivery was never an issue..... but FMD.. it liked a drink. When I originally fitted the carb - jetted as it came from Procycle, but with the needle clip in the top position - I was down to 36mpg (US gallons). This was while running the stock exhaust and my air box had the snorkel removed and an additional 2" hole cut in the top.

I have great respect for all you seat-of-the-pants tuners.... but I just couldnt get it sorted on instinct alone. So.... I decided to cut the guess-work.

I bought and fitted one of these.....

..... which helped me identify where all the fuel was going. Much too rich down low.

So, to cut to the chase here's the setup I've arrived at:

Stock exhaust (ground header weld, ceramic coated header pipe).
Air box top fully opened up (yeah, I know I said I wouldnt ).
K+N filter (with foam outer filter).
145 main jet.
120 pilot jet.
Needle clip in top position.
Pilot screw 1 3/4 turns out.

5.0lt/100km - 47mpg(US) and still delivers all the grunt you'd expect from the TM40 .

I dont think I could've got this so right without the AFR gauge to quantify what was going on, and I learned a lot in the process.

As many have already said.... its the airbox which restricts the DRs. IMO the stock exhaust isnt too much of a bottle-neck, in fact with the airbox top opened up I'm pretty sure I could run a 150 main jet coz there's room to run a little richer at WOT. But I'll stick with the 145.

So, a long time coming, but finally I'm delighted with this carb.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #54298
danbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroMan View Post
Hey bro,do you have problem with the IMS tank fuel cap? Mine leak badly when riding off road.Anyway nice tank decal you have there.Mine locally done but its ruin when the fuel leak over it!!
Mate, it's never leaked. Have you tried getting a replacement from them?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #54299
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroMan View Post
Hey bro, do you have problems with the IMS tank fuel cap? Mine leaks badly when riding off road. Anyway nice tank decal you have there. Mine locally done but its ruin when the fuel leak over it!!
New generation IMS fuel cap:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=28809

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #54300
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Dude! I hope you are cutting AWAY from your crotch!
Lex
Haha, that is what I was thinking too! As my old boss once told me, "Always cut towards your friend, not your thumb. You can always get a new friend, but..."

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote