Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #54436
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
If you go to sites like Ronayers.com and get the DR part number, there is a search feature that using the number tells you all the models that part was on..fwiw
That's worth quite a bit, thanks!

Lex
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #54437
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
I am Back I am out of Vendor ville I still have my cherry , it was close a few times in the shower but , i never bent over
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #54438
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
You were lucky to get back home, what with the condition of the chain/sprockets, and loosing your wallet (lost mine back in '77, never forget the feeling).

Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale with us, I know that I for one need to keep better track of my tire and chain/sprocket wear; having four bikes, I tend to forget how much riding any one of then receives.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike View Post
I picked one up yesterday. '96 in fair-ish condition, 20k miles. I've been reading/hearing about DR reliability for years, so I didn't bother to test ride it. This morning I checked the oil, hopped on for the first time, and went for a 668 mile ride. 15 of those miles were nice twisties through the Blue Ridge, the other 653 were pretty boring. Pretty eventful ride, though. I found out the hard way that my reserve in non-functional. I lost my wallet 300 miles from home with a gallon and a half of gas, and my chain and sprockets (which I knew were borderline at best) deteriorated far quicker than I had hoped. Check it out!

I normally wouldn't do something like this, but I was feeling a bit wild today. Next up is a tear-down to catch up on all the maintenance the PO didn't bother with.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #54439
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163
668 miles in a single day? Gheez... I hope that wasn't on a stock DR seat... My ass would be feeling that for days.

Welcome to the DR club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike View Post
I picked one up yesterday. '96 in fair-ish condition, 20k miles. I've been reading/hearing about DR reliability for years, so I didn't bother to test ride it. This morning I checked the oil, hopped on for the first time, and went for a 668 mile ride. 15 of those miles were nice twisties through the Blue Ridge, the other 653 were pretty boring. Pretty eventful ride, though. I found out the hard way that my reserve in non-functional. I lost my wallet 300 miles from home with a gallon and a half of gas, and my chain and sprockets (which I knew were borderline at best) deteriorated far quicker than I had hoped. Check it out!

I normally wouldn't do something like this, but I was feeling a bit wild today. Next up is a tear-down to catch up on all the maintenance the PO didn't bother with.

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #54440
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,661
Calabogie Boogie - more info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
A terrific 2-day ride this past weekend.... the 21st Annual Calabogie Boogie (Ontario, Canada)

Here are some highlights from the 2nd day.
Looks like fun. The first part looks exactly like what we have around here - lots of rocks.

I rode with Terry (TDY) the whole first day of the TCAT ride this spring. We rode about 150 miles of some pretty gnarly stuff at a pretty spirited pace. He was on a DR650 and I had my DR350 up there. He told me he was one of the organizers of the Calabogie Boogie, and from what he told me about the Boogie it sounded like mostly gnarly single track covering some of the same area we rode on the TCAT ride. I didn't make it up for the Boogie this year, but I'd like to try to make it next year if I can. What was the riding really like and how many miles did you guys cover? Was everyone camping? Was it two days in the same area? Any info is appreciated and might help me decide if I want to make some firm plans for next year. TIA
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #54441
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163
I rode with Terry this past weekend. He puts a lot of work and effort into making the Boogie a success.

The Boogie is primarily for true offroad bikes, but in the last couple of years two "dual sport" routes have been added: 1) the dual sport "scenic" route, and 2) the dual sport adventure route. Last year, I muscled my DR650 through the main trail ride and it was pretty tough for a porky dual sport like the DR... but not impossible.... you just have to accept that the lightweight motocrossers are going to fly past you.

This year, I decided to give my body a bit of a break and I opted to ride the dual sport adventure route.... still some tough sections, but most of the tough trails are linked with a few miles of nice gravel roads, and even a few miles of paved roads between some of the trails. The dual sport scenic route is far less challenging and aimed at those who may not be interested in riding trails (mostly gravel roads, and real easy trails)...

While I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of the main trail ride last year, I think I enjoyed the DS adventure route even more because I wasn't always riding at the edge of my abilities and pushing the envelope like I was last year. For an hour or two, that's fine... but two full days is a bit much. The main trail route would be a blast on a 250 two-stroke...with a DR650, it's a lot of work.

The terrain of the Boogie's DS adventure route is very similar to the TCAT ride from last May. I rode that too, and we may have even crossed paths that weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Looks like fun. The first part looks exactly like what we have around here - lots of rocks.

I rode with Terry (TDY) the whole first day of the TCAT ride this spring. We rode about 150 miles of some pretty gnarly stuff at a pretty spirited pace. He was on a DR650 and I had my DR350 up there. He told me he was one of the organizers of the Calabogie Boogie, and from what he told me about the Boogie it sounded like mostly gnarly single track covering some of the same area we rode on the TCAT ride. I didn't make it up for the Boogie this year, but I'd like to try to make it next year if I can. What was the riding really like and how many miles did you guys cover? Was everyone camping? Was it two days in the same area? Any info is appreciated and might help me decide if I want to make some firm plans for next year. TIA

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #54442
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I replaced the cush rubbers at 15,000 miles and again at 35,000 miles. I don't know how long they will go but it seemed like a good idea. The new ones really make your wheel assembly tight again. (tough to get it back between the swing arms the first time.)

Wheel bearings I replaced at 35,000 miles. They all felt fine, old fronts looked and felt good, sprocket carrier bearing was fine, rear wheel bearings felt fine but there was some rust starting on the dust seal side bearing, so I'm glad I caught that one. I put double sided sealed bearings in the rear as replacements.

...........shu
I'm feeling a roughness for the last 2K, I'm at 16,000 miles now. I thought it was the tire, but the new tire does the same. I feel it in 4th and 5th rolling on the throttle. I'm going to try the cush drive replacement and see if that fixes it. Mine are still fitting well, but they seem rock hard when handling them.

I went ahead and changed my carrier bearing at 15K to a sealed one. It looked fine though, grease was still clean. The wheel bearings spin great still, I have the replacements on hand if they are ever needed though. My bearings look good considering the bike has lived outside since 2007 including living on the beach for a year and riding lots of Alabama dirt and many wet miles. I do try and cover the bike when its not being used every day. I never use a pressure washer either.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #54443
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,661
Thanks for the info. I'm sure we probably crossed paths on the TCAT ride at some point - there was too many people for me to keep track of. I don't even know who half the guys I rode with on day two were, but I camped with bumblebee1 that night. Met many very friendly northern neighbors and really enjoyed it.

I'd be very tempted to bring the DR650 up for the Boogie next year and ride the dual sport adventure route - sounds like fun. The DR350 was great for the TCAT ride, but the 400 miles up to Ottawa and the 600 mile ride back from where the TCAT ride ended were a bit much. Did the 600 mile return trip to ME on the DR350 in 12 hours, and that included one detour around a washed out main road in VT. That's one of the reasons I picked up the DR650 - so I can get to places like that a little more comfortably and still have a decent off-road machine when I get there.

Quote:
I rode with Terry this past weekend. He puts a lot of work and effort into making the Boogie a success.

The Boogie is primarily for true offroad bikes, but in the last couple of years two "dual sport" routes have been added: 1) the dual sport "scenic" route, and 2) the dual sport adventure route. Last year, I muscled my DR650 through the main trail ride and it was pretty tough for a porky dual sport like the DR... but not impossible.... you just have to accept that the lightweight motocrossers are going to fly past you.

This year, I decided to give my body a bit of a break and I opted to ride the dual sport adventure route.... still some tough sections, but most of the tough trails are linked with a few miles of nice gravel roads, and even a few miles of paved roads between some of the trails. The dual sport scenic route is far less challenging and aimed at those who may not be interested in riding trails (mostly gravel roads, and real easy trails)...

While I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of the main trail ride last year, I think I enjoyed the DS adventure route even more because I wasn't always riding at the edge of my abilities and pushing the envelope like I was last year. For an hour or two, that's fine... but two full days is a bit much. The main trail route would be a blast on a 250 two-stroke...with a DR650, it's a lot of work.

The terrain of the Boogie's DS adventure route is very similar to the TCAT ride from last May. I rode that too, and we may have even crossed paths that weekend.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #54444
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Tires...

I don't get very many miles from the Shinko 700 rear, about the same as the TKC-80. I do like the tire, its great for weekend rides on forestry roads and handles great on pavement.

It does better than the 705 when the surface is loose dirt. Tread life is about 50% less than a 705 though. I get 6,000 plus miles easily out of a 705 and 3000 to 3500 on the 700. I have a 5.10 700 on the rear right now.

Both tires are pretty tough for such a cheap price.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #54445
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i have some ruglyde from napa.

made by american grease stick company. seriously.

Harpua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #54446
bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
668 miles in a single day? Gheez... I hope that wasn't on a stock DR seat... My ass would be feeling that for days.

Welcome to the DR club.
Indeed it was the stock seat. Better bars and seat are at the top of my wish list, my old rxc620 was 10x more comfortable than this thing, which just doesn't seem right!
bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #54447
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
A package from Procycle arrived today.

I have to say although pricey the low brackets and Pivot pegz look like quality kit.
The photo does them no justice.
I won't ask why a product made in Australia is cheaper to buy in the USA even with post.

The flywheel puller was in the same package.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #54448
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
A package from Procycle arrived today.

I have to say although pricey the low brackets and Pivot pegz look like quality kit.
The photo does them no justice.
I won't ask why a product made in Australia is cheaper to buy in the USA even with post.

The flywheel puller was in the same package.
Beautiful piece of kit. Didn't know they are made in Oz.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #54449
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx View Post
Beautiful piece of kit. Didn't know they are made in Oz.
The Pivot Pegz are made in Australia (Made since at least 2000 apparently)
The lower peg brackets are Procycle and very nice construction.

I went a bit mad reading the thread weekend before last.
The headlight has always been a bit average so I ordered (and received already) a Eastern Beaver direct power relays/harness and the light switch off option then I was reading the next day ThumpThumps (I think) post on the Canadian HID kit so that should be close in the mail.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #54450
danbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thumb Pivot pegs

Quote:
The Pivot Pegz are made in Australia (Made since at least 2000 apparently)
The lower peg brackets are Procycle and very nice construction.

I went a bit mad reading the thread weekend before last.
The headlight has always been a bit average so I ordered (and received already) a Eastern Beaver direct power relays/harness and the light switch off option then I was reading the next day ThumpThumps (I think) post on the Canadian HID kit so that should be close in the mail.
You'll be happy with them ADV8. Quality units. One of the 1st things I did to mine were the pegs and a VSM footpeg lowering kit. They took a few rides to get used too, but now I love them. For some reason I'm not keen to put them on them on the 200 though. I should really try it out some day.
On a side note, I followed everyone's advice and stuck the engine case guards on the bike on the weekend. Too easy, about 3/4mm of the permatex high temp, a couple of peices of duct tape and all is sweet. I'll put the oil filter guard on next oil change.