Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #54841
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
This opinion does not match my experience with the Barnett clutch for the DR650. Does a new Barnett have a stiffer pull than a worn out stock clutch? Yeah, maybe just a little bit. It's nothing anybody ever comments about.
I've not tried a DR with a Barnett ... but have ridden many bikes over the years with a Barnett clutch replacement. Most all were stiff.

How many miles do you have on your DR650 with the Barnett clutch in it?
Is the Barnett clutch pull as easy as stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The stock clutch works nice and maybe has better feel but it won't take very much abuse.
I've read about a couple worn out clutches this year on this thread ... but over the long run not many DR650 clutch failures reported on this thread ... or elsewhere in DR650 world.

Anyone know how many riders here on this thread have had to replace their stock clutch?

In my riding group of mostly older DR650's (six DR's) we've not had a clutch failure yet. That's about five years riding with these same guys (and gals) Two of our guys pulled the clutch plates doing the NSU fix and both bikes had plates that measured close to stock spec. They both left them in place. No probs thus far. Just lucky I guess.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #54842
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
just did. in 2 place engines & write ups.
Two locations, good thinking.
Quote:
thanks for the idea!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #54843
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've not tried a DR with a Barnett ... but have ridden many bikes over the years with a Barnett clutch replacement. Most all were stiff.

How many miles do you have on your DR650 with the Barnett clutch in it?
Is the Barnett clutch pull as easy as stock?

I've read about a couple worn out clutches this year on this thread ... but over the long run not many DR650 clutch failures reported on this thread ... or elsewhere in DR650 world.

Anyone know how many riders here on this thread have had to replace their stock clutch?

In my riding group of mostly older DR650's (six DR's) we've not had a clutch failure yet. That's about five years riding with these same guys (and gals) Two of our guys pulled the clutch plates doing the NSU fix and both bikes had plates that measured close to stock spec. They both left them in place. No probs thus far. Just lucky I guess.
I think the factory clutch is fine for most riders. Most bikes do light dual sport or ADV touring, but if you ride trails a lot the factory clutch doesn't like the abuse. Mine gets lots of trail duty, and my clutch is almost out of adjustment at 17,000 miles. I know there are many guys wearing out their motors before the clutch. Just my 2 cents. I will be using a tougher clutch next time.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #54844
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Yeah, DR650 clutches don't wear out prematurely. Under normal use the stock clutch will go quite a ways - 30,000 miles or more. It's when the going gets tough (like deep mud) where the clutch has to take some abuse the clutch will overheat and disintegrate.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #54845
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
That's what I was looking for, thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #54846
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Three words Elad: Genuine Suzuki Parts! Barnett are crap! Get Suzuki parts and have someone who understands a clutch install help you. Hopefully no serious damage. No Synthetic oil. Shalom!
You really are a fan of OEM parts!You forget that most OEM stuff is built to a budget by outside contractors
(Suzuki doesn't manufacture clutch plates).I cannot comment on Barnett,but you were saying the same about chains and sprockets,OEM is the last thing i'd use as a replacement,that's why we have things called upgrades.
A decent brand,such as Barnett or EBC will probably be as good if not better than OEM,these companies do massive testing on their products.It's usually the aftermarket firms that show the motorcycle manufacturers the way ahead through testing and racing!It's like shocks,would you rather have OEM over Ohlins or Wilbers?
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #54847
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
K&N filters flow air well and give good performance but less than ideal off road. They simply DO NOT filter fine dirt well ... especially Bull Dust or Fesh Fesh. (a very fine dirt like Cake Flower)

An oiled foam filter is the way to go. UNI are very good, also many here use Twin-Air. Pro Cycle sell them and they do international shipping ... FAST! I did not know UNI made a DR650 filter. Make sure it fits and is not for for earlier DR650S. (pre 1996)

If spinning up the rear tire in deep sand all day ... I would clean out the air box every day. Even with the UNI. This more for peace of mind. The filter itself should be fine.

If riding in heavy dust you should be OK for 3 or 4 days of this if Solo. If riding in a group ... and you are 3rd or 4th rider, then you may want to have a look at your filter every day. The good news is if lightly oiled and a bit of grease put along the filter sealing lip, NO DIRT or SAND will get past the UNI or Twin-Air filters.

In severe dust some riders use Filter Skins. These are oiled cloth covers that fit over the filter and work as a prefilter, very effective. When they get dirty your simply pull it off ... and your filter is clean. K&N have something like this too ... but I'm old school, just don't trust K&N off road.
Cheers ADV G
Great info , always open to good advice i will be checking/cleaning the filter on a daily basis once in Africa along with oil,chain, tyres and the rest.
Had a look at filter skins for the KxN and they wanted $67 delivered out here to France !!!!! screw that !!! better off with some of our lasses tights (pantyhoses), Anyhow the UNI is on it's way for less than half that price.
Is it best to use bespoke filter oil or will 3 in 1 for eg. do ???????
Cheers Phil
Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #54848
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
This is typical. You've got a turn signal wire disconnected somewhere. Pull each one out and check continuity. Probably the rear ones. Will do the same if bulb is burned out ... but this HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
Sweet, thanks a bunch, I'm gonna look over the connections and wiring tomorrow!
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #54849
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,862
hi all
well i fitted a fmf slip on the other day and i think its running a bit lean,the spark plugs look a little grey/white,the bike is stock apart from the fmf slip on

it's bogging a little off idle,and has a small amount of over run,no much just a little,

can i adjust air-fuel screw from the out side of the carb?? if so were is it,a pic would be good,or do i have to get inside and adjust the jetting,

oh and if you like a muffler loud then get the fmf..very nicccccceeee

mickd

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.

mickd screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 05:29 AM
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #54850
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
can i adjust air-fuel screw from the out side of the carb?? if so were is it,a pic would be good,or do i have to get inside and adjust the jetting,
Its at the centre front and underneath the carburetor.
The gap between it and the engine case is fairly tight so you need a short slot screwdriver.

This is a TM40 but the BST40 is at the same position (but not a extended adjuster screw,it is recessed )

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S

ADV8 screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 06:15 AM
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #54851
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Why not?
It is a great and rancorous debate, actually. I have used sunthetic oil in all my bikes on long term basis, and have NEVER had slippage. I stay away from the "energy conserving" oils, and stick with 5w40, 15w50 when I run synth. My 1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ (roughly 2.5 times the HP of a DR @ the rear wheel) has never had anything other than synth Mobil 1 15w50 since I have owned it. No clutch slippage in 50K+ miles, and the bike has just over 80K on the clocks...I am going to try Mobil Delvac 1300 in the GS this go around and get it analyzed by Blackstone to see how it does...

For your thumper, any good Diesel oil (Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Castrol...take your pick) will do just fine at a more economical price. I run Mobil Delvac 1300 in my thumper (I ride a KLR ) I have run Mobil 1 in mine with no issues, either.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.

East Coast Rider screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 06:17 AM
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #54852
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Cheers ADV G
Great info , always open to good advice i will be checking/cleaning the filter on a daily basis once in Africa along with oil,chain, tyres and the rest.
Had a look at filter skins for the KxN and they wanted $67 delivered out here to France !!!!! screw that !!! better off with some of our lasses tights (pantyhoses), Anyhow the UNI is on it's way for less than half that price.
Is it best to use bespoke filter oil or will 3 in 1 for eg. do ???????
Cheers Phil
Filter oil is best, $, but you don't use all that much. A good cheap alternative is chainsaw bar oil. Regular motor oil would be the third choice (the higher the viscosity, the better). 3 in 1 would be a poor choice due to it's light viscosity.
maynard911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #54853
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
You really are a fan of OEM parts!You forget that most OEM stuff is built to a budget by outside contractors
(Suzuki doesn't manufacture clutch plates).I cannot comment on Barnett,but you were saying the same about chains and sprockets,OEM is the last thing i'd use as a replacement,that's why we have things called upgrades.
A decent brand,such as Barnett or EBC will probably be as good if not better than OEM,these companies do massive testing on their products.It's usually the aftermarket firms that show the motorcycle manufacturers the way ahead through testing and racing!It's like shocks,would you rather have OEM over Ohlins or Wilbers?
The aftermarket do some things very well ... as you point out. Racing exhaust systems, suspension, seats and lots of other cool stuff. Wear items are popular too ... like brake pads.

But certain things I stick with OEM. Like internal motor parts. Clutch's are sort of an in-between item. I'm sure some of the aftermarket ones are fine ... but I also know the Suzuki plates are good too and that you don't need stiff racing rate springs on a DR650 clutch. Friction plates are no big deal, but the basket needs to be right. I'll take the Suzuki OEM one if replacing.

One has to know their bike to know when to go aftermarket and when to go with OEM parts. Different on every bike.

Certain OEM things are good ... some not so good. IE: The stock DR650 DID O- ring chain is not bad (good for maybe 15,000 miles) but I've used the DID VM-2 X ring chains for over 10 years and 100,000 miles. I get great service with the VM-2 chain. Over 25,000 miles.

Not sure about every other OEM, but I've had great luck with Suzuki OEM sprockets. I've tried 3 or 4 other brands and OEM are best in my experience ... and sometimes are cheapest. They are made in Japan. Most others are made in Thailand or China and some in the USA or EU. I like the made in Japan parts in general. Higher standard.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #54854
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Is it best to use bespoke filter oil or will 3 in 1 for eg. do ??????? Cheers Phil
I bought a liter of foam filter oil about 10 years ago and I'm still using it!
I prefer it ... it's a bit sticky. Chain Saw oil works too. Motor oil is OK but sort of flows down to bottom on filter and into air box. No big deal. They all trap the dirt ... and that's what is important!

In Maroc I'd just use what's convenient. I do carry a bit of grease to seal the filter lip along the sealing edge where it contacts the air box. The UNI filter will keep the dirt out as long as it's not clogged up. It can be very very dirty and still be doing it's job just fine. So don't over react on this. But don't let it clog. Then dirt will get sucked through.

Have a great trip ! Ride Safe!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #54855
vinik
slow learner

Oddometer: 36
KLX650r front end on a DR650?

hey guys.
I own a 99 DR650SE.
i recently found two KLX650R's in a pretty bad shape, but both have pretty good looking kayaba usd front ends and one even has a brembo front caliper.
what do you guys think? is it possible to do a swap? if it is, how hard will it be?
from searching the web i found only that dr750 (possibly 800 to, not sure which exactly, sr41, sr43?) swaps with the klx pretty easy.