Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #54841
Israeli DR
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Clutch problam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Make sure you are not using automotive motor oil. It has friction modifiers that cause wet motorcycle clutches to slpi. Use only motorcycle oil that is made for wet clutches. i.e., no friction modifiers.
I use the same oil used by the suzuki mechanics in Israel
This is not the problam
What I dont understand is the wear on the driven plate
I just hope that it due to the drive plate out of service

If somebody knows something from experience I will appreciate it
Elad
Israeli DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #54842
Israeli DR
n00b

Clutch problam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Three words Elad: Genuine Suzuki Parts! Barnett are crap! Get Suzuki parts and have someone who understands a clutch install help you. Hopefully no serious damage. No Synthetic oil. Shalom!
Are you sure barnett are Crap?
Is it from experience?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #54843
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I broke one on my rear signals and replaced both rear with aftermarket parts - I had constant problems with the ground connections with the replacements and I then I replaced them again with another cheapo set I had on hand (no idea were I got the second set ). They worked great with no further problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Also when one of the earth wires inside the indicator breaks off as happened to me. (L/H rear)
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #54844
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
K&N filters flow air well and give good performance but less than ideal off road. They simply DO NOT filter fine dirt well ... especially Bull Dust or Fesh Fesh. (a very fine dirt like Cake Flower)

An oiled foam filter is the way to go. UNI are very good, also many here use Twin-Air. Pro Cycle sell them and they do international shipping ... FAST! I did not know UNI made a DR650 filter. Make sure it fits and is not for for earlier DR650S. (pre 1996)

If spinning up the rear tire in deep sand all day ... I would clean out the air box every day. Even with the UNI. This more for peace of mind. The filter itself should be fine.

If riding in heavy dust you should be OK for 3 or 4 days of this if Solo. If riding in a group ... and you are 3rd or 4th rider, then you may want to have a look at your filter every day. The good news is if lightly oiled and a bit of grease put along the filter sealing lip, NO DIRT or SAND will get past the UNI or Twin-Air filters.

In severe dust some riders use Filter Skins. These are oiled cloth covers that fit over the filter and work as a prefilter, very effective. When they get dirty your simply pull it off ... and your filter is clean. K&N have something like this too ... but I'm old school, just don't trust K&N off road.
I have a UNI. Fits fine and works well. My buddy who rides a XR650R swears by them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #54845
HemReuter
n00b

Oddometer: 5
HELP! Blown rear suspension in Cusco, Peru

Hey Guys,

I've been on the road six months now on my 2008 DR650. I started in Seattle with Alex Smith (RR: No Jobs, No Responsibilities) in April and now I've finally arrived in Cusco. The bike has performed admirably the entire 15,000 miles so far, although over the last week my rear end has absolutely given out. I carry a lot of gear, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. It also didn't help that I just covered 700 miles of dirt in ten days fully loaded from Huaraz to Cusco on the inland mountain roads. It was a blast, but now I'm paying for it.

Before we set off I replaced the stock spring with a 8.3kg/mm upgrade from Procycle. It stiffened everything up real nice but has since let me down. I'm 6'2" 185lbs; when I left on the trip I could only stand over the bike with my heels off the ground. Now I can sit on the seat flat footed with bent knees. It has sagged a lot. Furthermore, the shock must be gone because after every speed bump the bike bobs up and down three times before leveling out. It's not fun or safe to ride in the current state. From what I've gathered I need a new spring and a new shock.

I've searched the forums quite a bit over the last few days when I had internet, but I can't find what I'm looking for. What do you all recommend I do for a situation like this here in Cusco, Peru? I've already paid a Peruvian mechanic $60 who said he could rebuild it and he ripped me off. The bike sat higher for about ten miles before it sagged again. I was stupid to trust him anyway.

Are there other rear shocks that fit on the DR650 easily? Anyone know if a 2010 Yamaha Tenere stock shock would fit (my current riding partner Charlie has one in California we could ship down). They don't sell many big bikes here in Peru so replacements are hard to find.

Am I best off ordering a brand new Ricor Racing rear shock from Procycle.us and paying (and waiting) for the international shipping? Can anyone recommend an awesome replacement (I hear Cogent is the best, but I don't have time to send my busted piece home and wait)? I'm willing to spend a considerable chunk of cash to put this behind me and have the bike better off for it.

I arrived here Saturday evening which means most mechanic shops are closed tomorrow. I met a guy on a Harley today who knows a real mechanic so hopefully Monday I can go to him with all these questions as well. Any info you guys can offer before I get there would be great. I don't want to get ripped off again and I don't want some junk Peruvian replacement that will blow out another 1,000 miles down the road. Sorry for all the questions, it's just that most threads on this issue don't pertain to people in the third world. I've learned everything I know about motorcycles on this trip, so anything new you guys can teach me would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

HemReuter screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 04:00 PM Reason: New title
HemReuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #54846
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb Gps units

THANX GUYS YOU ALL GAVE GAVE SOME GOOD DIRECTIONS TO GO ON. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WILL END UP WITH, IT IS A MATTER OF $$$. I HAVE BEEN READING THE LAYING DOWN TRAX THREAD, BUT THERE IS SO MUCH TO READ. IT IS MUCH EASYER TO ASK MY FELLOW DR650 BROTHERS WHAT THEY HAVE AND WHY.
THANX AGAIN GUYS.
CHEARS MOTT
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #54847
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
you never had a burned out bulb?
lucky, but it IS very likely in my experience
Sure ... I've had a few burned bulbs. But not many ... especially turn signal bulbs. Never seen a burned turned signal bulb on any of the three DR's I've owned. But mine have gone into "blink fast" mode several times ... and every time its the wiring. On the rear I have the Suzuki rack, which requires the signal wires to have some exposure ... so that is probably the reason. Never a problem up front.

You can see the exposed wire here ... notice it's double shrink tube'd and secured by a Zip Ty ... and it still pulls out from time to time. This mostly because lots of Bungee type hooks get secured around there and sometimes bugger up the wires. All my fault. I've cut the wires several times to try different signals. Went back to stock on the rear ... still using Buell signals up front.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #54848
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli DR View Post
Are you sure barnett are Crap?
Is it from experience?
I know Barnett going back to the 1960's. They make products for Race Cars and bikes. For certain racing applications Barnett are fine. But for the DR650 I don't feel Barnett is the best choice. With Barnett you may end up with a very stiff clutch pull. This is typical of Barnett. STIFF SPRINGS ... which on the DR650 is not needed. Barnett started off making clutch kits for Drag racers.

The stock Suzuki items are superior to anything Barnett makes ... and are made specifically for your DR650, not a "One Size Fits All" approach.

Aftermarket parts rarely fits perfectly and nearly always are compromised in quality over the long term. YES ... the Suzuki items are most likely more expensive but if installed correctly should last a long time.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #54849
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemReuter View Post
Hey Guys,

I've been on the road six months now on my 2008 DR650. I started in Seattle with Alex Smith (RR: No Jobs, No Responsibilities) in April and now I've finally arrived in Cusco. The bike has performed admirably the entire 15,000 miles so far, although over the last week my rear end has absolutely given out. I carry a lot of gear, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. It also didn't help that I just covered 700 miles of dirt in ten days fully loaded from Huaraz to Cusco on the inland mountain roads. It was a blast, but now I'm paying for it.
Thanks in advance,

Tom
Check your PM's Tom.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #54850
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Spark plug 8 ftlbs (96 in lbs)
TDC inspection hole plug 16.5 ft (198).......snip>
Bill:
Did you put this in Krusty's DR Index, where? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemReuter View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Make sure it isn't your suspension linkage, lots of moving parts down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
THANX GUYS CHEERS MOTT
Hi MOTT, please turn off the CAPS, it's hard to read.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #54851
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
With Barnett you may end up with a very stiff clutch pull. This is typical of Barnett. STIFF SPRINGS ...
This opinion does not match my experience with the Barnett clutch for the DR650. Does a new Barnett have a stiffer pull than a worn out stock clutch? Yeah, maybe just a little bit. It's nothing anybody ever comments about.

The stock clutch works nice and maybe has better feel but it won't take very much abuse.

My favorite is the clutch kit from DP. High quality stuff, great feel, and it's still surviving just fine in the DR780.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 09:51 PM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #54852
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,809
Starting to install a set of RMZ forks on my DR650. Anyone having already done this found a 300mm or larger front brake disk kit that will fit the RMZ front wheel?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #54853
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Starting to install a set of RMZ forks on my DR650. Anyone having already done this found a 300mm or larger front brake disk kit that will fit the RMZ front wheel?
http://www.mototraction.com/p/962053...450-05-09.html

There is a pair of DRZ SM brackets here.. fwiw.
eBay 270821069984

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../07RMZ450Fork/
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #54854
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
that ebay link is for headlight brackets, not brake kits...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #54855
Israeli DR
n00b

Quote:
I know Barnett going back to the 1960's. They make products for Race Cars and bikes. For certain racing applications Barnett are fine. But for the DR650 I don't feel Barnett is the best choice. With Barnett you may end up with a very stiff clutch pull. This is typical of Barnett. STIFF SPRINGS ... which on the DR650 is not needed. Barnett started off making clutch kits for Drag racers.

The stock Suzuki items are superior to anything Barnett makes ... and are made specifically for your DR650, not a "One Size Fits All" approach.

Aftermarket parts rarely fits perfectly and nearly always are compromised in quality over the long term. YES ... the Suzuki items are most likely more expensive but if installed correctly should last a long time.
WOW

Thankes for the educated answer
After this i'll surly purchase The stock parts
this was also the answer i got form thumper Talk
Thanks again
Elad