Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #54991
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
I know this is retarded but what do you guys typically do in regards to reserve? Use it when you run out of gas? Isnt that dangerous? Or do you just flip it into reserve at a certain mile mark?
I've never had a bike that didn't transition well from ON to RESERVE, so I typically ride ON until it sputters and then switch. I try to pull in within 15-20 miles.

When I fill, I reset the odo. I usually have a pretty good idea when it's going to start sputtering, but it can vary by 5-10 miles. It's a good idea to ride the slow lane when you're getting close.

If I know I'll need RESERVE soon, and I won't want to stop later, I fill up before sputtering. Ditto if fuel will be a long ways off (out west). I also carry an MSR fuel bottle on trips, just in case the first 3-4 stations I pull into are closed (It's happened).
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #54992
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,388
Hitting reserve for me was like hitting the kill switch. I learned quick to keep an eye on the trip meter. Loosing power in traffic at 70 mph sucks!

I love my translucent fuel tank, always knowing the fuel level is a great feeling. I see the fuel, I know exactly how far I can go. I really like the Safari, I run all day and never look for gas, 400 miles per day is my average DS touring pace.

My overall average this year is 48.6 mpg. I ride mostly two lane roads with lots of stop signs and such. Speeds run around 60 to 70 mph. On trips I see 50 to 52 mpg at speeds under 65 mph. I love my Procycle TM-40. I really like the GSXR exhaust mod too. I'm glad I waited till I found a muffler. I have $280 in my exhaust and 4,000 miles later its a great farkle. The no hesitating pumper carb is probably the best farkle I've done after the Corbin saddle. The exhaust is the next best, should have done it years ago.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #54993
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Hey Sagedrifter, when you planning on doing another ride up into N. Ga. & NC? I go up there quite a bit from Atlanta.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #54994
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
Hey Sagedrifter, when you planning on doing another ride up into N. Ga. & NC? I go up there quite a bit from Atlanta.
I've done lots of DS riding up in the Tellico area this year, did the BRP and a run through GA on forestry roads. About 5,000 miles of fun rides.

I'm going to drive the car up to western NC with the family in early Oct, I doubt I'll do any more long rides this year. I thought about riding the bike up with the family in the car but, I've ridden enough to satisfy my needs this year... I think.

I'll probably camp in Talladega NF one more time before hunting season is in full swing. Then I'll be using my spare time hunting...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #54995
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I've done lots of DS riding up in the Tellico area this year, did the BRP and a run through GA on forestry roads. About 5,000 miles of fun rides.

I'm going to drive the car up to western NC with the family in early Oct, I doubt I'll do any more long rides this year. I thought about riding the bike up with the family in the car but, I've ridden enough to satisfy my needs this year... I think.

I'll probably camp in Talladega NF one more time before hunting season is in full swing. Then I'll be using my spare time hunting...
I was thinking about doing a ride on the BRP, at least from about Boone to back down to Cherokee, then make my way thru some other good roads back to Ga. How was the BRP on the DR and did you camp?
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #54996
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
i have only recently gotten my dr650 on the road; i will be curious about the mileage. it has a 4g acerbis tank, and is set up w/k&n filter (no airbox at all), fcr carb, and exhaust w/fmf powerbomb hedder, kientech hi-flow midpipe and tsukigi titanium can for gsxr1000. it pulls real nice, right from idle. i waited a long time for a gsxr can, but gave up when i found one of these tsukigi titanium cans for $100 shipped. they're still awailable in titanium, but the prices seem a bit high now. one seller has 'em in aluminum for $149:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200539491144

also re: the stock seat; i was miserable after a half hour; it boggles me that suzuki hasn't changed it in so many years, and from the comments, their gel seat isn't any better. i was fortunate to get a decent deal on a used corbin from a semi-local guy; it is so much better....

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #54997
shu

Oddometer: 959
great pics, brake info, ADV8!

thanks............shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #54998
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
I was thinking about doing a ride on the BRP, at least from about Boone to back down to Cherokee, then make my way thru some other good roads back to Ga. How was the BRP on the DR and did you camp?
On my last trip I camped near Joyce Kilmer in the no fee primitive area, camped at Crab Tree Meadows in NC and then in GA, can't remember the place in GA though. It was not primitive, they had water and rest rooms. I usually stay at a primitive site in the Coopers Creek area but I tried something different. The place I stayed was west of Dalonega on 60 at a Forestry CG.

I like the BRP from Cherokee to Mt Mitchel. I try and do that run at least twice a year. I go through Rome and over Ft. Mountain up 68 into Tellico and then across the Cherohala and on to the BRP. I usually come back through Highlands into GA and back across Warwoman, 348 and 60 to Ft. Mountain etc.. My favorite pavement loop.

I spent years living in Alpharetta, GA so I've been around the North GA area. My favorite is probably Cruso at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle CG or a primitive commando style site where ever I feel like.

I'm a sucker for nice CG's with showers sometimes. Cheoh point near Robbinsville has hot showers.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #54999
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk View Post
Renazco did my seat. HUUUUUGE difference. I had him make the actual seat the entire width of the pan (which added another ~2-3" of seat width) and with 1 tier up stiffer foam than normal. 4-500 mile days are much more manageable as my ass no longer hangs off the sides. Custom stitching was a perk as well
And how are things coming for the upcoming ride? Im looking at a 1250 Suzuki Bandit as the Triumph is dead again.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #55000
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110

I should have added putting a little never seize on the pin thread and plug to avoid it getting stuck as can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
great pics, brake info, ADV8!

thanks............shu
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #55001
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,594
Im going to put a 8" light on and there's a couple out there, Baja Designs and Trail Tech that make them. Anybody bought from either one?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #55002
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,117
good catch. got any pics of it mounted?

with the gsxr can supply getting thinner and thinner Jesse should start looking for something like this pipe so he still can sell his product. without a pipe supply his mid-pipe and bracket are useless.
this way he could sell a whole package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have only recently gotten my dr650 on the road; i will be curious about the mileage. it has a 4g acerbis tank, and is set up w/k&n filter (no airbox at all), fcr carb, and exhaust w/fmf powerbomb hedder, kientech hi-flow midpipe and tsukigi titanium can for gsxr1000. it pulls real nice, right from idle. i waited a long time for a gsxr can, but gave up when i found one of these tsukigi titanium cans for $100 shipped. they're still awailable in titanium, but the prices seem a bit high now. one seller has 'em in aluminum for $149:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200539491144

also re: the stock seat; i was miserable after a half hour; it boggles me that suzuki hasn't changed it in so many years, and from the comments, their gel seat isn't any better. i was fortunate to get a decent deal on a used corbin from a semi-local guy; it is so much better....

doug s.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #55003
eakins
Butler Maps

i replace mine with this style brake pin:
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7295
the head sticks out so you just use a 8mm socket on it.
it's on my front and rear brake calipers and makes changing pads a snap.

wierd things is it's gone from the market place???
i think i bought mine at rocky mtn atv and it was either moose or tusk brand but i can't find it there nor does procycle have anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post

I should have added putting a little never seize on the pin thread and plug to avoid it getting stuck as can happen.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #55004
eakins
Butler Maps

Procycle foot peg lowering bracket:
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#controls
for those who have this, does it lower straight down or down and back?
it looks to be straight down but Procycle's webpage does not say nor has Jeff answered my PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #55005
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
good catch. got any pics of it mounted?

with the gsxr can supply getting thinner and thinner Jesse should start looking for something like this pipe so he still can sell his product. without a pipe supply his mid-pipe and bracket are useless.
this way he could sell a whole package.
here's a coupla pics:

everything was plug-n-play. but, i must say, it took a while to get everything installed w/o rubbing on the frame &/or shock spring - that mid-pipe & hedder are fat! note the bolt centered in this pic; it's what attaches the mid-pipe to the frame:

i had to trim the fat rubber grommet inside the frame there, and then use a fat fender-washer underneath the bolt, so as to pull the midpipe closer to the frame so it would clear the shock spring. (anyone else have this problem, when installing the kientech midpipe?) clearance between the midpipe and the frame is ~1/16"; there's ~1/4" clear between the midpipe and the shock spring...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote