Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #54991
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
thanks. looks good

looks similar in size to the next generation & larger 05 gsxr 1000 pipe but still effective.
how does it sound? and how is it packed?
the pipe is 23" from end to end - where mid pipe is attached, to the furthest end of the exhaust tip. (the can itself is ~19.25".) 4.25" diameter. inside is a metal screen, (16ga?), perforated w/little round holes, full-length, same diameter as the exhaust tip - 2.375". (actually, mebbe a fraction bigger, as the tip measurement was at the end, and as it's angled, the diameter at the can may be a tad larger.) there must be some sorta packing behind it, but ya can't see it. the seller told me he's never heard of folks having to re-pack these, and that's w/most folks using 'em on gsxr1000's.

the bike sounds great! and not at all too loud. can't really compare to stock, tho - i only rode it stock ~70 miles - from the seller's house home, and then to the dealer. and, that was over a year ago, as after i took it in, i got sent overseas unexpectedly, and ended up staying there for almost a year.

also, i have a buell s2 w/race pipe/can, and a wintage duc darmah w/conti cans; those bikes really sound sweet.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #54992
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Hate to ask a question on sprockets but have a question:

Picked up a 14T and a 16T from ProCycle, not installed yet still using the stock 15/42. I have a set of stock wheels I use for more offroad use and a set of supermoto wheels I'll be using for around town commutes and some highway (rarely freeway).

What size rear sprockets should I go with? Anyone used the SuperSprox brand? I really like their gold color but only available in a 43T for the 525 chain. (I have a 110link 525 X-Ring chain)
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #54993
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
...I'd say (from looking at the pictures) my hid bulb is probably somewhere in the 6000-8000 range. I'll call procycle tomorrow if I remember and see for sure. If it is that high, I'll definitely get a lower rated bulb...
The procycle kit I got was marked as 6000K, supposed to be bright white, (has just a hint of blue). If I can find a 4500K bulb I'll see how I like it.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #54994
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
The procycle kit I got was marked as 6000K, supposed to be bright white, (has just a hint of blue). If I can find a 4500K bulb I'll see how I like it.
want to buy my never-used 4500k bi-xenon hid h4 bulb for not to much money?

doug s.
Attached Images

doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #54995
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
you've been pm'ed
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #54996
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,601
What is the wieght diff between DRZ400 and a DR650?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #54997
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
What is the wieght diff between DRZ400 and a DR650?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201197

About 35 lbs.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #54998
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
carb help

i've tried finding some thread about this with no luck. breaking down and posting...

my basically stock '03 dies a lot when i'm on very bumpy or rocky terrain, especially when that terrain is far from level. sometimes it'll die after a long stretch of highway when i exit and pull in the clutch.

i bought the bike this spring with only 1700 miles on it, so it was sitting for a while. it's always seemed to run well except for this dying thing. it's now at somewhere south of 5000 miles.

any ideas you carb experts?
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #54999
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Hate to ask a question on sprockets but have a question:

Picked up a 14T and a 16T from ProCycle, not installed yet still using the stock 15/42. I have a set of stock wheels I use for more offroad use and a set of supermoto wheels I'll be using for around town commutes and some highway (rarely freeway).

What size rear sprockets should I go with? Anyone used the SuperSprox brand? I really like their gold color but only available in a 43T for the 525 chain. (I have a 110link 525 X-Ring chain)
Well, if you're relatively fluent in math you'll be able to quickly figure the torque difference between sprockets. Although I've never used SuperSprox, anything lower (numerically higher in the rear and numerically lower in the front) would be a step up in my opinion. You have to realize though, power is made by the engine, it is multiplied by the transmission, it is multiplied by the gearing (sprockets) and although few think of this, the tires are the last "gear" in the drivetrain. So, as you change tire size you change torque values at the ground. If your offroad tires are a different size than your Supermotard, then you'll have variables no one can really entertain but you. I would wait, since you have the front sprockets, and try them with either set up. If you need a lower gearing/torque offroad, figure out if the 43T will be enough (not much of a change). Supermotard, you'll like have more torque than necessary with the smaller tire and 14T. I really think what you'll end up with is a 14T on the front and different rear sprockets on the rear to suit the tire size, but who knows, but you. Let us know what you end up with.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #55000
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
i've tried finding some thread about this with no luck. breaking down and posting...

my basically stock '03 dies a lot when i'm on very bumpy or rocky terrain, especially when that terrain is far from level. sometimes it'll die after a long stretch of highway when i exit and pull in the clutch.

i bought the bike this spring with only 1700 miles on it, so it was sitting for a while. it's always seemed to run well except for this dying thing. it's now at somewhere south of 5000 miles.

Not a carb expert, but I would check the side stand switch before moving on to the carb. The bouncing might be causing the side stand to bounce off the switch and cutting out the engine. Basically you can bypass it to see if it cures the problem. Lot of debate on this, so make your own decision to bypass or replace the switch. Might just be a weak sidestand spring as well allowing it to move off the switch.
Good luck!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #55001
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:

I never experienced the engine stalling from bumps or uneven terrain, but I did have an issue for a while when I pulled the clutch in from highway speeds the engine would die. I messed with it for a while, and adjusted the throttle stop screw to adjust idle rpm, only do this when the engine is thoroughly warm though. Since then I've installed a jet kit which helped it run a bit better.

You may consider removing/disassembling the carb and cleaning it in carb cleaner (soaking it), then while your at it install a extended fuel screw so you can adjust idle mixture, and even a step further you could shim up the needle a bit. That's what i would do, but always start with the simple.

edit: checking the float height and float needle for it's condition is another thought... to help you tear one apart get a service manual, and use this link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #55002
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
Quote:

did you clean out the carb? does it pop alot on decel?
you could have a clogged pilot jet from old fuel.
run a strong dose of techron through the tank to start.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #55003
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
if you soak it use the Pine Sol soak method.
it's safe on rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
I never experienced the engine stalling from bumps or uneven terrain, but I did have an issue for a while when I pulled the clutch in from highway speeds the engine would die. I messed with it for a while, and adjusted the throttle stop screw to adjust idle rpm, only do this when the engine is thoroughly warm though. Since then I've installed a jet kit which helped it run a bit better.

You may consider removing/disassembling the carb and cleaning it in carb cleaner (soaking it), then while your at it install a extended fuel screw so you can adjust idle mixture, and even a step further you could shim up the needle a bit. That's what i would do, but always start with the simple.

edit: checking the float height and float needle for it's condition is another thought... to help you tear one apart get a service manual, and use this link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #55004
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
another vote for inspection of side stand switch.

grab a pipe clamp that will make it around the stand and frame. head out to your favorite bumpy trail. install pipe clamp to make sure stand cannot move. See if stalling problem goes away or not.

my DR runs laying on it's side. The carb is pretty tolerant of running at different angles (bumps, jumps, etc). Carb is logical next place to look but as a betting man I'd put my money on the side switch.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #55005
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
right! side stand switch! duh...

i'll totally start there and check back with ya'll. thanks so much.
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote