Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #55036
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
OK, so maybe it wasn't my last question EVER. Too bad you can't remember how you hooked up the on/off switch for the headlight. That too is on my list because I want to free up as much power as possible to run heated gear.
Doing some flashbacks here: Most of my bikes (Japanese), have had skimpy head light wiring (16, 18ga?), so I went in to replace that with 12ga straight from the battery (fused) through a relay. There are many wiring diagrams running around cyberspace. My fail-safe mode for wiring mods: never cut the stock wiring harness. This complicates my end product, short pigtails etc. But if something I did, fails, I just plug it back together, stock. Well, I will if it ever happens............. knock on wood

Quote:
I have noticed some un-used connectors under the seat and behind the headlight (brown, and black with white stripe).
I have the one behind the headlight pencil marked as 'tach' in my manual and it's run on the same wire as the tail light and license plate light; so it's switched (hot with the key on). I don't know about the ones under the seat.

Quote:
I will endeavour to find out where they are and what they're for. I have a VOM meter with me but not a clue how to use it . My thought was that if I had one someone that knew how to use it might be in a better position to help me, if needed.
Get one of these to use in addition to the VOM, easier to understand and faster in many situations. Just make sure it's clipped to a good ground, cylinder fin, for example. This one's from O'Reilly:

Quote:
Seems to be keeping riders happy on other forums out there on the World Wide Web, not that I'd ever look at those forums because there's soo much great info on ADV,
Two timer...........
Quote:
and I thank all responders for their input.

josdavlar:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #55037
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
do you guys ride around scared that your 3rd gear is going to grenade any second?

The percentages are small, in relation to a bike produced since 1996 and perused rather actively, on advrider's 180,000 inmate strong site. In Australia & New Zealand the DR outsells the KLR and in these regions dualsports quite commonly don't lead sheltered lives, compared to the roles of most mc's in the NA marketplace.

One of the many things I like about the net in regards to motorcycles, is that seemingly small instances of information can be noted, that might otherwise have never come to my attention. The relatively few instances of transmission failures in some 96+ DR's, plays a role in my consideration of motor oil types, oil change intervals, addressing the nsu screws, and my overall useage of the transmission in general.

In the 40 years I've participated in motorcycling, what I've learned and the personal opinions I've formed, all play a role in my appreciation and treatment of the bikes I own and have owned, be they commonplace or exotic. My DR650 is treated with as much respect as any bike I've ever owned, because I admire and respect it's design format and the elegant manner in which it's translated into function.

Therefore in my instance, it's run and maintained probably no differently, than if it was a formally owned Velo Thruxton, or 450 desmo. Good oils, short unit construction oil change intervals, it's shifted unlike a paperboy's 125 motocrosser and cherished as only an old cantankerous mc loving bastard can.

644DR
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #55038
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
My DR650 is treated with as much respect as any bike I've ever owned, ............snipped...... it's shifted unlike a paperboy's 125 motocrosser and cherished as only an old cantankerous mc loving bastard can.
I would not change a word.
Tomorrow I look back on 51 years of motorcycling.
Best and most enjoyable bike I ever rode.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #55039
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Question DR unknown

I was at a local ride yesterday and I saw this wild DR650 with solid alloy rims(not Suzuki GS rims) and a solid fiberglass rear fender, and side covers. It was a yellow greenish color with under slung exhaust. I don't know if he's on this forum or not but I would love to know what kind of rims he used and how he did it!

http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/lifec...?th=450&tw=610

40cu.in.of.furey screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 08:28 AM
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #55040
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
do you guys ride around scared that your 3rd gear is going to grenade any second?

Not me.

Prior to buying a DR I read up on the issue and decided that statistically I stand a greater chance of my sedate, predictable, CPA wife going psycho, stealing my DR, and taking our money and leaving for a RTW trip than I do of 3rd gear blowing.

But you pays you money and takes you chances, eh?
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #55041
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,607
?...How much lighter are the RMZ250 forks vs stock DR forks?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #55042
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
Tomorrow I look back on 51 years of motorcycling.

George
Are birthday greetings in order George ?

996DL
George (small world...)
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #55043
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
I was at a local ride yesterday and I saw this wild DR650 with solid alloy rims(not Suzuki GS rims) and a solid fiberglass rear fender, and side covers. It was a yellow greenish color with under slung exhaust. I don't know if he's on this forum or not but I would love to know what kind of rims he used and how he did it!

http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/lifec...?th=450&tw=610
Not a very good pic of the wheels.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #55044
simonw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have noticed some un-used connectors under the seat and behind the headlight (brown, and black with white stripe). I will endeavour to find out where they are and what they're for. I have a VOM meter with me but not a clue how to use it . My thought was that if I had one someone that knew how to use it might be in a better position to help me, if needed.

the one behind the headlight is an extra acc. its only hot when key is on. few including myself tied grip warmer to it.
the one under the seat is also only hot when key in on, I ddidnt use it but few used it for cig lighter plug in I think.
simonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #55045
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Not a very good pic of the wheels.
Ya I know I just figured if the guy was on this forum or people knew the bike that maybe it would pop up. It almost looks like honda rims My 01 VFR has similar looking rim up front, he also used the original cush hub into the rear rim.
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #55046
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderskate View Post
I'd love to have a yellow one, my favorite color combo.
Let us know how you like the new tires.
I have them on my DR on my "street" wheels. I love em! Went for a ride on the Dragon a few weeks ago and there are officially no more chicken strips. Bike is very predictable with them. You will know if they are gonna let loose. Good for at least 4,000 miles of hard use. Also respectable in most environments except mud. They are about the best bang for the buck in a street oriented DS tire on the market. YMMV!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #55047
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
I have them on my DR on my "street" wheels. I love em! Went for a ride on the Dragon a few weeks ago and there are officially no more chicken strips. Bike is very predictable with them. You will know if they are gonna let loose. Good for at least 4,000 miles of hard use. Also respectable in most environments except mud. They are about the best bang for the buck in a street oriented DS tire on the market. YMMV!
So you have 705's on your street wheel set up? I have 2 sets of wheels and I have the stock trailwings on the 2nd set I picked up, I have them almost wore out and looking for what I should replace them with for the street. I was originally looking at the pricey Avon Distanzias, but I'm hearing some really like the Shinko 705's and there price. Thanks
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #55048
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
705's

Has anyone ran the 130/90-17 on their DR? Currently running the 120/90-17.
Thanks,
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #55049
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
So you have 705's on your street wheel set up? I have 2 sets of wheels and I have the stock trailwings on the 2nd set I picked up, I have them almost wore out and looking for what I should replace them with for the street. I was originally looking at the pricey Avon Distanzias, but I'm hearing some really like the Shinko 705's and there price. Thanks
Yes. I have the 705s on the factory wheels and on my spare set of wheels(18" rear) I have some non DOT knobbies. I get them from a local shop. The guys that race enduro around here change tires after every race so I get their take offs for free. I don't care if they only last 250 miles.

Here is a link to a few pics of how they corner. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot load them here.

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...21316242063018

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=704&pc=877

Like I said for a $100 a set price, you can't beat them.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #55050
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
Here is a link to a few pics of how they corner. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot load them here.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=704&pc=877
Cool that this is you trying out your Shinko 705s, in photo #705!