Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #55051
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
I was at a local ride yesterday and I saw this wild DR650 with solid alloy rims(not Suzuki GS rims) and a solid fiberglass rear fender, and side covers. It was a yellow greenish color with under slung exhaust. I don't know if he's on this forum or not but I would love to know what kind of rims he used and how he did it!

http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/lifec...?th=450&tw=610
Not a very good pic of the wheels.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #55052
simonw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have noticed some un-used connectors under the seat and behind the headlight (brown, and black with white stripe). I will endeavour to find out where they are and what they're for. I have a VOM meter with me but not a clue how to use it . My thought was that if I had one someone that knew how to use it might be in a better position to help me, if needed.

the one behind the headlight is an extra acc. its only hot when key is on. few including myself tied grip warmer to it.
the one under the seat is also only hot when key in on, I ddidnt use it but few used it for cig lighter plug in I think.
simonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #55053
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Not a very good pic of the wheels.
Ya I know I just figured if the guy was on this forum or people knew the bike that maybe it would pop up. It almost looks like honda rims My 01 VFR has similar looking rim up front, he also used the original cush hub into the rear rim.
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #55054
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderskate View Post
I'd love to have a yellow one, my favorite color combo.
Let us know how you like the new tires.
I have them on my DR on my "street" wheels. I love em! Went for a ride on the Dragon a few weeks ago and there are officially no more chicken strips. Bike is very predictable with them. You will know if they are gonna let loose. Good for at least 4,000 miles of hard use. Also respectable in most environments except mud. They are about the best bang for the buck in a street oriented DS tire on the market. YMMV!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #55055
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
I have them on my DR on my "street" wheels. I love em! Went for a ride on the Dragon a few weeks ago and there are officially no more chicken strips. Bike is very predictable with them. You will know if they are gonna let loose. Good for at least 4,000 miles of hard use. Also respectable in most environments except mud. They are about the best bang for the buck in a street oriented DS tire on the market. YMMV!
So you have 705's on your street wheel set up? I have 2 sets of wheels and I have the stock trailwings on the 2nd set I picked up, I have them almost wore out and looking for what I should replace them with for the street. I was originally looking at the pricey Avon Distanzias, but I'm hearing some really like the Shinko 705's and there price. Thanks
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #55056
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
705's

Has anyone ran the 130/90-17 on their DR? Currently running the 120/90-17.
Thanks,
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #55057
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
So you have 705's on your street wheel set up? I have 2 sets of wheels and I have the stock trailwings on the 2nd set I picked up, I have them almost wore out and looking for what I should replace them with for the street. I was originally looking at the pricey Avon Distanzias, but I'm hearing some really like the Shinko 705's and there price. Thanks
Yes. I have the 705s on the factory wheels and on my spare set of wheels(18" rear) I have some non DOT knobbies. I get them from a local shop. The guys that race enduro around here change tires after every race so I get their take offs for free. I don't care if they only last 250 miles.

Here is a link to a few pics of how they corner. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot load them here.

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...21316242063018

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=704&pc=877

Like I said for a $100 a set price, you can't beat them.

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #55058
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
Here is a link to a few pics of how they corner. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot load them here.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=704&pc=877
Cool that this is you trying out your Shinko 705s, in photo #705!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #55059
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Cool that this is you trying out your Shinko 705s, in photo #705!
I didin't even notice that.

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #55060
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
The Avon Distanzia's have really jumped up in price. Great tires but better deals out there. The Shinko 705 tires won't last quite as long but are way cheaper. I got 5000 out of a 705 rear, 7000 miles on Distanizia, earlier Distanzia used on Cross country tour went 8000. (no dirt, lower speeds)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #55061
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
If I ever get a good weekend, I've got 705's on my DR, you could see how well they work on the local trails.

Mine sees about 95% street use, the other 5% being an occasional gravel road, which they do fine on. I would absolutely hate them in mud, I have noticed that the front likes to wash out on you in real slick stuff like wet grass and pine straw. (but what street oriented tire doesn't?)

What chicken strips?? Mine were gone shortly after I mounted them. I still need a good section of twisties to wear the nipples off though.
My nearly worn out boots are lacking in toe rubber also.

The 705s make great street tires. I can't vouch for them on the trails yet, but I'd imagine they would do well.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #55062
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
If I ever get a good weekend, I've got 705's on my DR, you could see how well they work on the local trails.

Mine sees about 95% street use, the other 5% being an occasional gravel road, which they do fine on. I would absolutely hate them in mud, I have noticed that the front likes to wash out on you in real slick stuff like wet grass and pine straw. (but what street oriented tire doesn't?)

What chicken strips?? Mine were gone shortly after I mounted them. I still need a good section of twisties to wear the nipples off though.
My nearly worn out boots are lacking in toe rubber also.

The 705s make great street tires. I can't vouch for them on the trails yet, but I'd imagine they would do well.
You missed a good ride saturday, I did 160 miles of fs roads paved roads connecting them. I rode from Turners Corner over to Helen and and back over to Suches. Let me know when you can ride, the weather was great!
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #55063
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
You missed a good ride saturday, I did 160 miles of fs roads paved roads connecting them. I rode from Turners Corner over to Helen and and back over to Suches. Let me know when you can ride, the weather was great!
Lucky...I'm dying to get my DR out on some good trails! I'll definitely let you know if I get a free day one weekend.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #55064
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Need helb with wobble

After installing new Kenda K270 tires I now have a wobbley rear tire/wheel combo. Yes the wheels were balanced. Cush drive and bearings seem great. spacers great..........until after 300 mile dual sport day this Saturday. took the wheel off before day 2 and everything looked great but the spacers on each end were chewed up a bit.

What did I do wrong?

What causes the rear tire to wobble? From a close distance my buddies said the wheel and hub looked straight but who knows?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #55065
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
I think you'll find they do better than you'd expect.
Air down to 20f 18r and go anywhere you want...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote