Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #55201
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 615
It's a trials tire. Even though DOT approved probably not good for pavement - trials bikes run near single digit pressure in the tires and rarely exceed 40 mph. Also note the square profile would make leaning on pavement a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Just when I decided on a D606 front tire to replace the IRC GP-1 I have now, I saw this tire:

IRC TR-1 Dual Sport Front

Anyone used this? I am looking for better off-road traction in sand and rocks than the GP-1, with tolerable road manners.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #55202
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,551
well maybe if you have run out of stuff to mess with.
fat chance of that for me, as 3 bikes all vie for attention
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #55203
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
After struggling with the issue of bringing camping gear I have decided to leave it in Des Moines with the option of either having it shipped when I reach Colombia or simply buying what I need there.

There's just too much stuff and I really want to be in a position to enjoy some off-road riding and not be too burdened down.

I may very well regret this but I can envision being pissed off carrying all the stuff as far as South America and not using it. Then again I'll be equally pissed when opportunities present themselves and I don't have the gear.

So there you go. Thanks to everyone for the valuable input. If I could comfortably bring it I would but that's not turning out to be the case.

Cheers all. Hope to see some of you on the road to wherever.
People can and do overload the heck out of bikes when they head out on a trip,a 650 single works better when not chronicly over loaded especially in the dirt.
Might be handy to have someone ship stuff to you along the way.
Something to be said for having the bare minimum of stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #55204
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
It's a trials tire. Even though DOT approved probably not good for pavement - trials bikes run near single digit pressure in the tires and rarely exceed 40 mph. Also note the square profile would make leaning on pavement a challenge.
Ive used the Pirelli DOT radial trials tire on my DRZe 400,hooks up so good on most dirt its amazing! Like velcro most of the time and gives a real smooth ride on rocks,pavement is not a problem as long as you get the DOT Pirelli,the other full competition trials tires will melt off quickly on pavement.
Leaning over on pavement is not a problem at all,at least for me running 11 to 13 lbs in the tire. The tire deforms enough it doesnt feel weird leaning over on the street. I wouldnt buy one just for street riding though by any means.
Friends have done over 2000 miles of hard scrabble dirt riding with these tires,your results may vary. I wont soon put another knobby on my plated DRZe,trials tire hooks up so good its like cheating!
They only come in 18" so a no go on a DR.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #55205
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
.....never worked on a carb before, but going to man up and go for it... any advice on where else to get the most noticeable improvement, please feel free to let me know......
i did the DJ jet kit, tried it several ways and didn't like the super rich needle, wouldnt' start on choke without alot of swearing, had a mid-range surge, etc etc.

shim your stock needle with a .10 washer and add a 155/160 main jet. that'll put the smile on your face and still let your bike start up in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik View Post
...I kicked up the stand, pulled the clutch, hit the button ... and nothing.....
this is a good time to start removing those "safety" features on your bike, and it's the reason why i did it. when i hit that starter button i want my bike to start.

remove or bypass the side stand switch and clutch switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
Where did you get your wheel/tire/brake setup?...I'm ready for some proper street rubber.
well, i did a fork swap to KX forks so i had to have a front wheel that fit the stock KX hub. i bought a pair of used Sun rims off ebay for $250, bought some spokes from Buchannan's (another $200) and ultimately laced & trued them myself. picked up the take-off tire set here for $100.

i LOVE the extra rubber, corners are a blast on this thing! i used to push my front skinny tire way too hard in the corners and hated that squirmy feeling when i'd get to the edge of the tire, no more with the SM setup! i have more rubber than i know what to do with now.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #55206
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by greener556 View Post
Is there any good write ups on DRZ400sm forks swaps out there??

I've been looking and can't much info.

Anyone know if the stems are the same, do they just bolt right up like the RM forks?? Any clearance issues with the forks and stock factory tank??
can't speak for the drz400, but i do know the rm125 (and i suspect the rm250 as well) is a direct plug-n-play...

oh ya - the hub also came from the rm125; re-laced to the wheel that was on my stock forks...

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 10:34 AM Reason: mentioning the rm125 hub
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #55207
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Ebmott - nicely done. Looks like you're preparing for a journey.....or just don't like stopping for gas.
i have three major trips in the future. the first big one will be the Dalton highway in alaska. the most northern port in the usa.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #55208
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
I'm off to Morocco in a couple of weeks and still have the stock tank on !!!! less than 3 gallons , so i've been looking at plastic tanks but the price frightened the hell out of me
Here's what i did for 17......and that was for the 5lt jerry can, i had the stainless lying about in the garage

Phil
Hey Phil,
Not sure how securely you've mounted the Aux fuel can ... but on rough Morocco wash board I could see the mounting hardware work hardening and snapping off in a couple days of off road hammering.

I would make sure the fuel can is strapped on with bungee cords or Roc straps (STRONG!) to add security off road. 5 liters isn't much but better than nothing. Best to have 19 liters (5 US gallons ... like IMS tank)

Check out Colebatch's latest Morocco ride report. He documents some great places to explore there:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727119
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #55209
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Sergent Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Can somebody please measure there sergent seat for me? I just need the width.. Thanks!!
MY seat measures 11 3/4 inches at it widest seating area. Now having both seats a corban on my 97 dr560 i do have to say i like the sargent better. it fits on any tank combo out there. it fits perfectly on my safari tank with no problem.
hope this helps
chears mott
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #55210
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Tell us more about the fairing please. Did you make it or where they can be purchased. Looks great !

TravelGuy
Hey TRAVELGUY glad you like my fairing. I ordered my fairing from RALLY RAID INTERNATIONAL.
http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F
It was maid for the XR650R . with shipping and everything it cost about $160 a bit steep but well worth it i think. i have read so many posts on how fellers out there were building there own, or wondering if this one would fit. so got one to if it would fit and share the out come with my fellow inmates. you have cut out the headlamp hole, but once done works very well. the only down fall is when they shipped it , it came in some plastic and a bit of bubble rap. so i did have to do some repair and a paint job on it. It has a fiberglass base and a jellcoat finish much like boat hulls, or air plane bodys. so if you do order one tell them to ship in a box.
let me know how it goes.
chears mott
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #55211
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
shim your stock needle with a .10 washer and add a 155/160 main jet. that'll put the smile on your face and still let your bike start up in the morning.
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 01:07 PM
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #55212
vintagespeed
fNg

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide relative to intake velocity.

Regards,

Derek
i believe the shim (washer) that i added was smaller diameter than the base of the spring so would not affect spring preload at all.

but it's a good point and something i'll take a look at to confirm.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #55213
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i believe the shim (washer) that i added was smaller diameter than the base of the spring so would not affect spring preload at all.

but it's a good point and something i'll take a look at to confirm.
It does not matter what diameter the washer is, as the order of parts from top to bottom is: diaphragm cover, spring, spring seat, needle clip, shim washer (if you use one), plastic ring, slide.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #55214
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide relative to intake velocity.

Regards,

Derek
I would think the reduction in lift is pretty small compared to the gain made at the needle and overall performance, especially when talking about shims of .05" or less (which seems to be about average for those that have done it).
Vintages 0.1" is the largest shim I have seen referenced and it seems to be working pretty good.
I could be wrong though, it is an interesting point and one I hadn't considered.

I would like to hear what the consequences of cutting the spring would be also? Would lift be the same, just dampened?
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #55215
vintagespeed
fNg

Eek

Quote:
It does not matter what diameter the washer is, as the order of parts from top to bottom is: diaphragm cover, spring, spring seat, needle clip, shim washer (if you use one), plastic ring, slide.

Regards,

Derek
it does if the shim is above the spring seat and inside the spring thus not affecting spring preload, the stock needle doesn't have a clip.

edit:

i'll have to check mine to be sure, but i wouldn't have put the shim UNDER the spring seat as it'd just fall off and that would be silly. lol

vintagespeed screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 01:10 PM Reason: clarification