Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #55216
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
I'm off to Morocco in a couple of weeks and still have the stock tank on !!!! less than 3 gallons , so i've been looking at plastic tanks but the price frightened the hell out of me
Here's what i did for 17......and that was for the 5lt jerry can, i had the stainless lying about in the garage

Phil
Hey Phil,
Not sure how securely you've mounted the Aux fuel can ... but on rough Morocco wash board I could see the mounting hardware work hardening and snapping off in a couple days of off road hammering.

I would make sure the fuel can is strapped on with bungee cords or Roc straps (STRONG!) to add security off road. 5 liters isn't much but better than nothing. Best to have 19 liters (5 US gallons ... like IMS tank)

Check out Colebatch's latest Morocco ride report. He documents some great places to explore there:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727119
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #55217
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Sergent Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Can somebody please measure there sergent seat for me? I just need the width.. Thanks!!
MY seat measures 11 3/4 inches at it widest seating area. Now having both seats a corban on my 97 dr560 i do have to say i like the sargent better. it fits on any tank combo out there. it fits perfectly on my safari tank with no problem.
hope this helps
chears mott
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #55218
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Tell us more about the fairing please. Did you make it or where they can be purchased. Looks great !

TravelGuy
Hey TRAVELGUY glad you like my fairing. I ordered my fairing from RALLY RAID INTERNATIONAL.
http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F
It was maid for the XR650R . with shipping and everything it cost about $160 a bit steep but well worth it i think. i have read so many posts on how fellers out there were building there own, or wondering if this one would fit. so got one to if it would fit and share the out come with my fellow inmates. you have cut out the headlamp hole, but once done works very well. the only down fall is when they shipped it , it came in some plastic and a bit of bubble rap. so i did have to do some repair and a paint job on it. It has a fiberglass base and a jellcoat finish much like boat hulls, or air plane bodys. so if you do order one tell them to ship in a box.
let me know how it goes.
chears mott
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #55219
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
shim your stock needle with a .10 washer and add a 155/160 main jet. that'll put the smile on your face and still let your bike start up in the morning.
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 12:07 PM
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #55220
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide relative to intake velocity.

Regards,

Derek
i believe the shim (washer) that i added was smaller diameter than the base of the spring so would not affect spring preload at all.

but it's a good point and something i'll take a look at to confirm.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #55221
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i believe the shim (washer) that i added was smaller diameter than the base of the spring so would not affect spring preload at all.

but it's a good point and something i'll take a look at to confirm.
It does not matter what diameter the washer is, as the order of parts from top to bottom is: diaphragm cover, spring, spring seat, needle clip, shim washer (if you use one), plastic ring, slide.

Regards,

Derek
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #55222
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
As shimming the needle clip preloads the slide spring beyond standard, it results in lowering the slide rather than raising the needle. I would not shim the needle clip unless the goal is actually to lower the slide relative to intake velocity.

Regards,

Derek
I would think the reduction in lift is pretty small compared to the gain made at the needle and overall performance, especially when talking about shims of .05" or less (which seems to be about average for those that have done it).
Vintages 0.1" is the largest shim I have seen referenced and it seems to be working pretty good.
I could be wrong though, it is an interesting point and one I hadn't considered.

I would like to hear what the consequences of cutting the spring would be also? Would lift be the same, just dampened?
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #55223
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,518
Eek

Quote:
It does not matter what diameter the washer is, as the order of parts from top to bottom is: diaphragm cover, spring, spring seat, needle clip, shim washer (if you use one), plastic ring, slide.

Regards,

Derek
it does if the shim is above the spring seat and inside the spring thus not affecting spring preload, the stock needle doesn't have a clip.

edit:

i'll have to check mine to be sure, but i wouldn't have put the shim UNDER the spring seat as it'd just fall off and that would be silly. lol

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 12:10 PM Reason: clarification
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #55224
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
it does if the shim is above the spring seat and inside the spring thus not affecting spring preload, the stock needle doesn't have a clip.
australian model does have different clip positions, just in case anyone is living the right-side-up hemisphere.
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #55225
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I would think the reduction in lift is pretty small compared to the gain made at the needle and overall performance, especially when talking about shims of .05" or less (which seems to be about average for those that have done it).
How do you figure?
Quote:
I would like to hear what the consequences of cutting the spring would be also? Would lift be the same, just dampened?
Cutting the spring increases the spring rate, but reduces the preload. The general trend will be sightly less force required to get the slide to move off of the stop, but more force required to get it to open all the way. The spring rate and preload do not affect damping in any way. Damping is controlled by slide lift hole number and size.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that the additional preload from shimming the needle will make the slide come off the stop at a later point in terms of rpm and throttle position (i.e. more velocity will be required to get it to come up off of the stop).

Regards,

Derek
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #55226
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...Many aren't doing the ride to "integrate" with local culture, and just yell louder in English to be understood. For them, it's all about them and furthering their Adventure career (film, book, website) ... and collecting stickers on the panniers and stamps in passport are of paramount importance. These are the "achievers"...
That is probably the single most salient point ever made on advider! Thank you!

What's travel if you don't immerse yourself in your surroundings and the local culture!

On a week-long ride through British Columbia last year, my wife said, "I never want to travel by car again! On a bike, you're in the environment, experiencing it. In a car, you're just a tourist."

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #55227
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
How do you figure?
Regards,

Derek
Not very well. Like I said I could be wrong. My thought is/was that even though the slide is rising less for any given air velocity, the needle is still higher in relation to the needle jet for any given slide height (because of the shim -- same as changing a clip position on a needle that has more then one). The end result is a richer mixture in the midrange.

I retain the right to be wrong
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #55228
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

edit:

i'll have to check mine to be sure, but i wouldn't have put the shim UNDER the spring seat as it'd just fall off and that would be silly. lol
If the shim is above the spring seat, it can't raise the needle, unless you say you installed the clip above the spring seat as well (a stock needle does come with and is supposed to have clip installed). If you installed the needle with the clip above the spring seat the needle will be free to bounce, as the seat bearing on the clip is supposed to hold it captive. Once again, the shim must go under the clip (which is under the spring seat). This should help:

Regards,

Derek
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #55229
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Not very well. Like I said I could be wrong. My thought is/was that even though the slide is rising less for any given air velocity, the needle is still higher in relation to the needle jet for any given slide height (because of the shim -- same as changing a clip position on a needle that has more then one). The end result is a richer mixture in the midrange.

I retain the right to be wrong
Think of it this way: Lowering the clip position raises the needle relative to the emulsion tube (without lowering the slide), whereas shimming the needle clip lowers the slide relative to the emulsion tube (without raising the needle). Now, there is an exception to this, and that is when the slide is against the stop. During that condition, a shim does raise the needle in relationship to the emulsion tube.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 02:22 PM
Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #55230
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone View Post
Thanks. I think it would be difficult to find. DR is not the most popular motorcycle in Russia. :)
Sorry, Bro. I didn't even look to see where it is you are located. Maybe you can find some on ebay or something. Good luck!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote