Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #55246
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I have a stock 06 DR650, recently sold some goodies to finance a jet kit, airbox mod, exhaust... when I called to order, was recommended that I go the TM40 route, opening up a whole new set of issues. If you had a 500.00 budget, what would you do and where would you start?
I'd start in ME, and I could probably make it all the way to CA on $500. Go for a ride.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #55247
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
Well, if 36 mpg. is okay, down from 50 mpg,...then jet kit knock yourself out. I was sorry I did it. At todays gas prices, and long ride in Baja Outback, I was the fuel worry problem child riding with KLRs and BMWs in remote areas. I love that big single torque just as stock gave me, But I'm an old fart. On my new DR.....50 mpg, and only drilled out the idle jet plug and enrichened that circuit.
14 tooth sprocket, Bash Plate, Hand Guards, Bar Risers, REAR RACK, ....and most important a Coleman ATV Seat Cover with 1 inch of foam underneath that. (not in the pic. that follows though)
I got 20km/L from stock.
18-19km/L from DynoJetted with 2nd slide hole, shortened diaphragm spring, header weld ground, aftermarket pipe etc...
Now 18-20km/L with the FCR39...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #55248
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,806
Quote:
Well, if 36 mpg. is okay, down from 50 mpg,...then jet kit knock yourself out. I was sorry I did it. At todays gas prices, and long ride in Baja Outback, I was the fuel worry problem child riding with KLRs and BMWs in remote areas. I love that big single torque just as stock gave me, But I'm an old fart. On my new DR.....50 mpg, and only drilled out the idle jet plug and enrichened that circuit.
14 tooth sprocket, Bash Plate, Hand Guards, Bar Risers, REAR RACK, ....and most important a Coleman ATV Seat Cover with 1 inch of foam underneath that. (not in the pic. that follows though)
Yah,Ive some how gone 25000 miles on my DR with a totally stock carb,with a 14 tooth countershaft I can get the front tire off the ground ok.
Airfilter stays clean a long time with uncut airbox,always 50 mpg at least. I just didnt get this bike to spend time with the wrenches or ride it on technical trails where a pumper carb might be better.
I have another bike for dirt thrashing that doesnt weigh 400 lbs. Ive had a blast every time Ive ridden my DR somewhere,what sort of carb it has doesnt enter my mind. I mainly want it to run a long time,suspension is what really helped mine out,now that is horrific stock,as is the seat,and tires,and bars,gas tank,grips,taillight,footpegs,my Corbin seat finally broke in with this many miles on it and is good for 600 miles at a sitting.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #55249
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I have a stock 06 DR650, recently sold some goodies to finance a jet kit, airbox mod, exhaust... when I called to order, was recommended that I go the TM40 route, opening up a whole new set of issues. If you had a 500.00 budget, what would you do and where would you start?
Skid plate and case savers should be at the top of the list. Remove top chain roller (free). 14t sprocket. Maybe a seat. If it is running good I would wait to get into the carb. You may find suspension is more important to you. Ride it awhile and assess its performance for your style of riding. You will have a lot better idea of what you want after some miles. Good luck
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #55250
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
It's a trials tire. Even though DOT approved probably not good for pavement - trials bikes run near single digit pressure in the tires and rarely exceed 40 mph. Also note the square profile would make leaning on pavement a challenge.
Trials bikes do run extremely low pressures but these bikes aren't trials bikes.

The Pirelli MT43 is rated to 280kg @ 33psi cold.

Leaning on pavement is only an issue if aired down to 12psi or lower.
Then you allow for it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #55251
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What are you planning to use it for. Offroad?

Skidplate first. Then handguards & better handlebars. Then tires. DynoJet kit in the carb is fine, cut the airbox and drill thr second hole in the slide.
14 tooth sprkt. You're up to about $400 now.

On road? I'll let someone else speak to that.
SEAT!!!!!!!!! That stocker is beyond a torture rack! Hunt down a better one on ebay or put on a Seat Concepts kit.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #55252
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik View Post
Just to say thanks, TravelGuy was spot on it was the kill switch. Now I just don't know what pisses me of more, that someone pushed i my killswitch while being parked down town, or that they actually got me with that stupid prank. Oh well, I guess I learnt my lesson ...

-t
Just be happy
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #55253
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Well, if 36 mpg. is okay, down from 50 mpg,...then jet kit knock yourself out.
Any rejetted DR650 that is only getting 36 mpg is not set up correctly. When jetted right the fuel economy won't take more than a 2-3 mpg hit.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #55254
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Trials bikes do run extremely low pressures but these bikes aren't trials bikes.

The Pirelli MT43 is rated to 280kg @ 33psi cold.

Leaning on pavement is only an issue if aired down to 12psi or lower.
Then you allow for it.
I upped my dirt tracking corner speed so much with a MT43 it was borderline dangerous,stop quicker coming in,hook up harder coming out of the corner with no rear end waggling all over the place.
The scary thing is I could have gone faster. This on my DRZe,its been an over sliding sort of bike no matter what back tire I put on it,not anymore. Ive only ran it down to 13 lbs so far,friends get away with 11,Im a little paranoid about flats still,they sure smooth the ride out though.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #55255
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I left a ride report about my trip in the Colorado mountains on my DR650...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post17026939
Trbig67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #55256
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
MY seat measures 11 3/4 inches at it widest seating area. Now having both seats a corban on my 97 dr560 i do have to say i like the sargent better. it fits on any tank combo out there. it fits perfectly on my safari tank with no problem.
hope this helps
chears mott
Thank you much, i think that way the last bit i needed to be pushed to the sargent. Its cheaper and just as wide. My problem is that i ride 2 up, and i dont want to be uncomfortable on the front of the seat. I see the corbin is wider near the front, is the sargent just as good?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #55257
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Thank you much, i think that way the last bit i needed to be pushed to the sargent. Its cheaper and just as wide. My problem is that i ride 2 up, and i dont want to be uncomfortable on the front of the seat. I see the corbin is wider near the front, is the sargent just as good?
There are some good pics of both the Corbin and Sargent on this thread.
Here is an above shot of my Corbin. The Corbin takes ages to break in and get comfortable. At least 2 or 3000 miles of seat time. Mine is now up to 40,000 ... the Corbin is not bad for multiple 400 mile days if you're head is in it.

You may see Corbins for sale used from time to time ... Sargent's too.

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #55258
NordieBoy
Armature speller

If you're running 520 sprockets, go for DR750 ones over pre96 DR650 ones...
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1318042576815.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  90.0 KB
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #55259
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I've owned Corbin's on BMW's, TravelCade's on the Gold Wing, and I have a Sargeant on the DR.

Anything is better than the stock pine rail ... uh, saddle that comes on the DR650.

FWIW, to my thinking the average rider who just needs a bit more comfort for all-day rides or longer tours would find comfort a toss-up between Corbin and Sargeant.

The primary tipping point for me on buying the Sargeant for the DR was because it will fit any aftermarket tank.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #55260
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
The primary tipping point for me on buying the Sargeant for the DR was because it will fit any aftermarket tank.
The Corbin also weights as much as a small child fed on McDonalds.