Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #55246
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I have a stock 06 DR650, recently sold some goodies to finance a jet kit, airbox mod, exhaust... when I called to order, was recommended that I go the TM40 route, opening up a whole new set of issues. If you had a 500.00 budget, what would you do and where would you start?

What are you planning to use it for. Offroad?

Skidplate first. Then handguards & better handlebars. Then tires. DynoJet kit in the carb is fine, cut the airbox and drill thr second hole in the slide.
14 tooth sprkt. You're up to about $400 now.

On road? I'll let someone else speak to that.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #55247
Biker Buzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Got it!

Picked up my first Dual Sport today. A new 2011 DR650!
Biker Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #55248
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buzz View Post
Picked up my first Dual Sport today. A new 2011 DR650!
Very nice. The white ones are the fastest.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #55249
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,738
70/30 on/off... already replaced the tires with Shinkos, sorry, should've mentioned that
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #55250
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
I have a stock 06 DR650, recently sold some goodies to finance a jet kit, airbox mod, exhaust... when I called to order, was recommended that I go the TM40 route, opening up a whole new set of issues. If you had a 500.00 budget, what would you do and where would you start?
I've got pro cycles jet kit installed, it's a nice improvement over stock jetting. If you just want a little more pep, a jet kit is the best thing you can do. If you want to lift the front wheel, you may need more "oomph". Just depends. If I can get my carb dialed in right I'll be perfectly happy with it. I've still got some fine tuning I'm trying to figure out but even as it sits now, it's a lot better than stock.

If you don't have luggage, crash protection, a seat, etc... yet, I'd get a jet kit and spend the rest on other upgrades. You could probably deal with a jetted factory carb until you had another $500 to get the pumper. Then just sell the factory carb/jet kit for more upgrades.

I wanted the most bang for the buck, so I opted to wait to get the pumper carb. After the jet kit install, I'm not even sure I'll get the pumper.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #55251
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 145
Save the Jet kit idea

Well, if 36 mpg. is okay, down from 50 mpg,...then jet kit knock yourself out. I was sorry I did it. At todays gas prices, and long ride in Baja Outback, I was the fuel worry problem child riding with KLRs and BMWs in remote areas. I love that big single torque just as stock gave me, But I'm an old fart. On my new DR.....50 mpg, and only drilled out the idle jet plug and enrichened that circuit.
14 tooth sprocket, Bash Plate, Hand Guards, Bar Risers, REAR RACK, ....and most important a Coleman ATV Seat Cover with 1 inch of foam underneath that. (not in the pic. that follows though)
Attached Images

rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #55252
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
never tried the tm40, but i really like the fcr39 which i had installed on my bike, so that's what i'd do. but, i am cheap; i found an fcr39 already set-up for the dr650 on ebay for ~$130 delivered, which included merge racing spring.. i bought a new fmf hi-flow power bomb hedder for $140 shipped, a new hi-flow midpipe from kientech for $193 shipped, and a new tsukigi gsxr1000 can from a gsxr website blog for $100 shipped. a little over $500, but the performance is way sweet!

if i coulda found a used kientech & fmf, i'd have done that for sure. i gave up looking for a stock gsxr1000 can when i found the tsukigi for about the same price... i hate buying stuff new! i paid $1300 for my '00 dr w/8k on it, and it awreddy had acerbis tank, trail tech vapor dash, sm wheels/tires... it has a coupla dings, but that's ok...

this bike will be +95% street, as it's 'tarded.

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 06:18 PM Reason: grammar, son...
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #55253
tobbik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Just to say thanks, TravelGuy was spot on it was the kill switch. Now I just don't know what pisses me of more, that someone pushed i my killswitch while being parked down town, or that they actually got me with that stupid prank. Oh well, I guess I learnt my lesson ...

-t
tobbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #55254
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
I'd start in ME, and I could probably make it all the way to CA on $500. Go for a ride.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #55255
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
Well, if 36 mpg. is okay, down from 50 mpg,...then jet kit knock yourself out. I was sorry I did it. At todays gas prices, and long ride in Baja Outback, I was the fuel worry problem child riding with KLRs and BMWs in remote areas. I love that big single torque just as stock gave me, But I'm an old fart. On my new DR.....50 mpg, and only drilled out the idle jet plug and enrichened that circuit.
14 tooth sprocket, Bash Plate, Hand Guards, Bar Risers, REAR RACK, ....and most important a Coleman ATV Seat Cover with 1 inch of foam underneath that. (not in the pic. that follows though)
I got 20km/L from stock.
18-19km/L from DynoJetted with 2nd slide hole, shortened diaphragm spring, header weld ground, aftermarket pipe etc...
Now 18-20km/L with the FCR39...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #55256
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
Yah,Ive some how gone 25000 miles on my DR with a totally stock carb,with a 14 tooth countershaft I can get the front tire off the ground ok.
Airfilter stays clean a long time with uncut airbox,always 50 mpg at least. I just didnt get this bike to spend time with the wrenches or ride it on technical trails where a pumper carb might be better.
I have another bike for dirt thrashing that doesnt weigh 400 lbs. Ive had a blast every time Ive ridden my DR somewhere,what sort of carb it has doesnt enter my mind. I mainly want it to run a long time,suspension is what really helped mine out,now that is horrific stock,as is the seat,and tires,and bars,gas tank,grips,taillight,footpegs,my Corbin seat finally broke in with this many miles on it and is good for 600 miles at a sitting.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #55257
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Skid plate and case savers should be at the top of the list. Remove top chain roller (free). 14t sprocket. Maybe a seat. If it is running good I would wait to get into the carb. You may find suspension is more important to you. Ride it awhile and assess its performance for your style of riding. You will have a lot better idea of what you want after some miles. Good luck
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #55258
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
It's a trials tire. Even though DOT approved probably not good for pavement - trials bikes run near single digit pressure in the tires and rarely exceed 40 mph. Also note the square profile would make leaning on pavement a challenge.
Trials bikes do run extremely low pressures but these bikes aren't trials bikes.

The Pirelli MT43 is rated to 280kg @ 33psi cold.

Leaning on pavement is only an issue if aired down to 12psi or lower.
Then you allow for it.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #55259
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What are you planning to use it for. Offroad?

Skidplate first. Then handguards & better handlebars. Then tires. DynoJet kit in the carb is fine, cut the airbox and drill thr second hole in the slide.
14 tooth sprkt. You're up to about $400 now.

On road? I'll let someone else speak to that.
SEAT!!!!!!!!! That stocker is beyond a torture rack! Hunt down a better one on ebay or put on a Seat Concepts kit.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #55260
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik View Post
Just to say thanks, TravelGuy was spot on it was the kill switch. Now I just don't know what pisses me of more, that someone pushed i my killswitch while being parked down town, or that they actually got me with that stupid prank. Oh well, I guess I learnt my lesson ...

-t
Just be happy
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote