Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #55261
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I have a stock 06 DR650, recently sold some goodies to finance a jet kit, airbox mod, exhaust... when I called to order, was recommended that I go the TM40 route, opening up a whole new set of issues. If you had a 500.00 budget, what would you do and where would you start?
Don't spend money you don't have to. A carb-tuning kit might be perfectly fine for you until you have other areas of the bike set up for you and you still have some money to burn. THEN get a flatslide pumper carb...and a 780 kit with a cam. IMO, if you're near sea-level, you NEED to richen the carbing to get it running right.

Forget Dynojet and the other kits that just have jets. Get the Procycle kit with the main jets, the adjustable needle, the extended mixture screw, the slide-drilling drillbit, and instructions/support. While a pumper carb would be awesome, you can get the DR running pretty nicely with a properly-tuned stock carb. I have stock sprockets and mine gets around 50MPG. Throttle response is ridiculous compared to stock now. It pulls the front wheel with just a blip of the throttle in 1st. 2nd takes a purposeful decel-blip at some revs, but it still comes up without me pulling or clutching. A 14T CS would be silly. I also have an FMF Q2 muffler and a Uni filter, but I haven't ground the header weld yet. It hauls us 2-up with luggage down the slab faster than any legal speed limit in this country, and it pulls higher gears at lower speeds smoothly now. I can shift to 5th at 45MPH (indicated), and it'll still pull it. It also runs cooler, starts easier, and comes off choke quicker.

If you're not getting close to 45-55MPG (hwy), riding somewhat sedately with a DR650SE, something isn't adjusted right. Common tune culprits are the needle position, the mixture screw adjustment, the pilot jet, and the main jet. If the main jet is the recommended one and it test-rides well per Procycle's instructions, I'd start with going leaner on the needle and then adjusting the mixture screw per instructions. If there isn't enough adjustment in the needle and the mixture screw, try a 1-size smaller pilot jet and start testing needle/screw settings again.

You don't even really have to remove the carb to do the Procycle kit. Just drain the bowl into a paper cup and pour that back into the tank, pull the lines and cables, remove the plastics, seat, and tank, then loosen the carb boot clamps, and rotate the carb to access the top or bottom. Use a good #2 Phillips bit, and a cordless drill with the clutch set fairly soft (I used "5" on my drill), to break the OEM screws loose. I had to go up one slot leaner on the needle from Procycle's instructions though, as my idle mix was too rich to adjust with the range the mixture screw affords. The kit is do-able with a stock exhaust too, so you don't have to spend your money there just yet. I WOULD recommend getting a filter better than the OEM or a K&N. Uni or Twinair come to mind.

- Get a decent service manual.
- Get a flat-repair kit and the tools to do it (BeadBuddy, EnduroStar trail-stand, combo 24mm/19mm/12-13mm wrench/levers for axle nuts, spokes and tire beads). Get the tools to check your intake/exhaust valves too.
- Get a skid and case protection if you're riding any dirt...or carry a lot of Quiksteel and spare quarts of oil. Armor is more responsible though.
- Do the DR fixes. Swap the upper chain-roller for a Loc-tited setscrew ($0.90 @ Ace Hardware), Loc-tite and torque the NSU screws and the primary nut, grease the steering and swingarm bearings, and torque all reachable fasteners to spec.
- A lot of people like to get oil filter magnets and magnetic crankcase plugs.
- Loosen the barclamps on your clutch and front brake levers slightly, so they can rotate if hit. Drill the levers near the balls. Tusk handguards are also super affordable and pretty strong.
- ATV Logic tank panniers and tankbag are extremely inexpensive and fit stock or aftermarket DR tanks with just a different adjustable rear strap for the tankbag. Some people also stitch straps to the bottom front of the tank panniers for better retention than the supplied velcro provides. The bags give you a place to carry your registration, maps, GPS, beverages, extra layers, etc., and they weigh almost nothing...for a fraction of the cost of something like Wolfman or Giant Loop tank luggage.
- Set up the suspension for your weight with cargo. You'll likely need heavier springs, fork oil, and shock oil...minimum.
- Ride the snot out of it and decide what else you want to do. Your butt may toughen up enough for the stock seat to be a non-issue. You may prefer no windscreen. You may want even more power.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 09:18 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #55262
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I've jetted my carb with a DJ Kit, cut my air box open, put on a twin air filter, and a GSXR exhaust and on the open road I can get 53 or better MPG! I did 160 miles of paved and FS roads and trails last weekend with a 14T sprocket and got almost 50 MPG!
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #55263
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
SEAT!!!!!!!!! That stocker is beyond a torture rack! Hunt down a better one on ebay or put on a Seat Concepts kit.
+1 on that sentiment - if i had a bone stock dr650 and could do only one mod, it would be the seat. because the bike is absolutely not ride-able w/the stock seat, imo. mine would never get ridden w/the stock seat, so other mods would be a waste.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #55264
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
....there is no complete separate parts listing for California vs. other US markets, and Suzuki makes no distinction between California and other US markets on the carb diagram.....
i'll just paste this post from earlier in the DR650 thread. we're all here to learn, but please if you dont know what you're talking about please keep your ignorance to yourself and try to learn from the cumulative knowledge of others.

thanks. i think it's funny that it's almost the same exact ignorant argument as before.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34842

the factory service manual i have lists the following jet needles: 6F19-3rd, 6F21-4th and mine 6F23

6F23 - is the single position jet needle and according to the manual is for E-03 (USA) and E-33 (California, USA) locations only.

you must have either the 6F19 or 6F21 jet needle in your carb, non-US model. or someone has monkey'd with your carburator.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #55265
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a pretty sweet paint job grifter.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #55266
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Tried putting on my supermoto wheels last night, is there a trick of getting the darn front caliper inside the wheel!?? I'm using the EBC 320mm rotor kit with adapter which is mounted on the fork, but it's almost like I can't fit the caliper between the rim and rotor when I try to put the wheel on.
Grind it!Fits in then!
Attached Images

macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #55267
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 601
Thank you very much for the info.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
Hey TRAVELGUY glad you like my fairing. I ordered my fairing from RALLY RAID INTERNATIONAL.
http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F
It was maid for the XR650R . with shipping and everything it cost about $160 a bit steep but well worth it i think. i have read so many posts on how fellers out there were building there own, or wondering if this one would fit. so got one to if it would fit and share the out come with my fellow inmates. you have cut out the headlamp hole, but once done works very well. the only down fall is when they shipped it , it came in some plastic and a bit of bubble rap. so i did have to do some repair and a paint job on it. It has a fiberglass base and a jellcoat finish much like boat hulls, or air plane bodys. so if you do order one tell them to ship in a box.
let me know how it goes.
chears mott
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #55268
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
That's a pretty sweet paint job grifter.
Not any more. The fuel tank paint all peeled off!@*@
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #55269
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
I know one thing if the DR had 66 hp I would be shifting from second straight to forth every time.

I think Ron Wood the dirt tracker was getting close to 70 on some of the singles long ago. (Honda or Rotax's)

Porter Bros in England were getting nearly 80BHP out of Rotax motors,but that was including
fuel injection,and the "CC's" were away up.Been trying without success to talk to them for over
the last year-they may have folded in the recession.If anyone in England know,let me know!
My mate had Carl Fogertys ex-CCM,Rotax'd one,not a Suzuki,and it was mid 60's.
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #55270
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i'll just paste this post from earlier in the DR650 thread. we're all here to learn, but please if you dont know what you're talking about please keep your ignorance to yourself and try to learn from the cumulative knowledge of others.

thanks. i think it's funny that it's almost the same exact ignorant argument as before.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34842

the factory service manual i have lists the following jet needles: 6F19-3rd, 6F21-4th and mine 6F23

6F23 - is the single position jet needle and according to the manual is for E-03 (USA) and E-33 (California, USA) locations only.

you must have either the 6F19 or 6F21 jet needle in your carb, non-US model. or someone has monkey'd with your carburator.

As you say, a stock '06 US model including California has a non adjustable 6F23 needle in it (in fact '96 -'11 models do). You may want to re-read what I wrote, as I never claimed otherwise. However, the parts diagram I provided is for a US model including California, which means that the order of parts from top to bottom is in fact: diaphragm cover, spring, spring seat, needle clip, shim washer (if you use one), plastic ring, slide.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 12:00 AM
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #55271
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Forget Dynojet and the other kits that just have jets. Get the Procycle kit with the main jets, the adjustable needle, the extended mixture screw, the slide-drilling drillbit, and instructions/support.
I like Factory Pro kits because if dyno testing shows that the needle shape is less than ideal for a given combination of parts, they will generally provide me with alternate profiles.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #55272
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Any rejetted DR650 that is only getting 36 mpg is not set up correctly. When jetted right the fuel economy won't take more than a 2-3 mpg hit.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I noticed very little increase in fuel consumption after fitting the Dyno-jet kit. Even that was probably due to being a bit more heavy handed
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #55273
mercenario27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Grind it!Fits in then!
Then clean it up and have it powercoated.
1996 Suzuki GSF750 Kan.of.tuna & 1986 Honda VF700 Intercepter
mercenario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #55274
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Trials bikes do run extremely low pressures but these bikes aren't trials bikes.

The Pirelli MT43 is rated to 280kg @ 33psi cold.

Leaning on pavement is only an issue if aired down to 12psi or lower.
Then you allow for it.
I am looking for better traction than my IRC GP-1 in loose stuff, without ruining street performance. Plan was to go to a D606 front. Mefo Explorer rear works pretty well, planning to keep it for now.

Most seem to feel DOT trials tires work well enough off-road, but I see them mostly on the rear of trail machines; how well they do on the front of a dual-sport?

Can anyone comment on trials front vs DOT knobbie on the DR650? Also about pressures, since they'll run with more air than on a trials bike (22 on road, 15 off?)

All 3 of these get good reviews and are priced reasonably:
IRC TR-1 Dual Sport Front Tire ($52)
Pirelli MT 43 Trials Front Tire ($69)
Dunlop D803 Trials Front Tire ($62)
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #55275
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Grind it!Fits in then!