User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #55351
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,046
http://homepage.mac.com/rg500delta/T...resonance.html

By your own description, more air is getting in due to removing the snorkle. Yes, only so much air can go thru the carb but if it doesn't have to fight so hard to get the air due to the removal of a restriction, more's going to go thru. Not an expert by any means, but I think those that are would say "more air, it's leaner".....

I know pulling the snorkle was noticeable on my stock bike & cutting the box, modifying the exhaust, etc was very noticeable.

yup, it's an air pump.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #55352
Biker Buzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
http://homepage.mac.com/rg500delta/T...resonance.html

By your own description, more air is getting in due to removing the snorkle. Yes, only so much air can go thru the carb but if it doesn't have to fight so hard to get the air due to the removal of a restriction, more's going to go thru. Not an expert by any means, but I think those that are would say "more air, it's leaner".....

I know pulling the snorkle was noticeable on my stock bike & cutting the box, modifying the exhaust, etc was very noticeable.

yup, it's an air pump.

Nope. Not more air...faster air. Volume is not increased... but velocity is increased. The restriction, as you mentioned, is not the size of the snorkel, it's the shape of the snorkel. Volume remains the same. (If the inside diameter of snorkel is same as hole in which snorkel is inserted...or close in size.)

Biker Buzz screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 10:46 PM
Biker Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #55353
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buzz View Post
Ok. I just bought a new 2011 DR650 this weekend. While checking out different postings on this much exhaused subject, I have a theory...like everyone else. At the risk of beating a dead horse here's my take on the subject.

Makes sense, huh?

What do you think?

However, I do think the shape of the snorkel is helpful in keeping debris/water out of the airbox.
I see you've smelt the coffee brewing...

DR650 + cut air box + TM40 carb + K&N + New Exhaust + $800 = Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow.... Faster in/Faster out, more power to ya....
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #55354
Biker Buzz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
I see you've smelt the coffee brewing...

DR650 + cut air box + TM40 carb + K&N + New Exhaust + $800 = Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow.... Faster in/Faster out, more power to ya....

That is the way it works!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #55355
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Nope. Not more air...faster air. Volume is not increased... but velocity is increased. The restriction, as you mentioned, is not the size of the snorkel, it's the shape of the snorkel. Volume remains the same. (If the inside diameter of snorkel is same as hole in which snorkel is inserted...or close in size.)
nope, not faster air - MORE air. even if the opening is the same size, the snorkel is still a restriction, letting less air in. prolly is putting the airbox into a slightly negative pressure situation. less air is being pulled in w/the snorkel. cut open the air box, and you will let even more air in.

actually, w/the snorkel, the air in that situation is likely moving faster - yust not as much of it. making air travel further, which the snorkel does, makes it move faster. yust like making air travel faster over the longer dimension of the top of an airplane wing vs the shorter distance it travels under the wing, which provides the lift. but in the case of an airplane wing, it IS faster air, not more air, cuz there's no restriction - the wing is out in the open.

because the snorkel puts bends in the path of the air, the air is traveling faster than w/o it. unfortunately, it's also restricting the quantity of air. which is why removing it, and cutting a hole in the airbox means you will likely have to re-jet so you won't run too lean - MORE AIR not "faster air".

actually, there will be faster air going thru the carb itself, if there's more air, cuz the carb itself is a specific size. when it moves more air, it has to also be faster.

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 11:24 PM Reason: clarification
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #55356
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
...As long as you don't mind replacing the parts a bit more often.

See:
Slide guide, used
Slide guide, new
Slides, new and used
Emulsion tubes, new and used
Jet needles, new and used

Scroll down for description and links. Click image for high-res view.

Consider that there is an intake pulse every 720 degrees, which is what raises the slide. Between those pulses, the slide spring and gravity try to push the slide back down. In order for the slide to be allowed to be pushed back down, the vacuum above diaphragm has to bleed off through the slide lift holes. The larger the slide lift holes, the faster that vacuum can bleed off, and therefore the greater the distance the slide can be pushed down before the next pulse. At the next pulse, the slide has to be pulled back up by the distance it fell (more if there is acceleration, less if there is deceleration). Conversely, the smaller the lift holes, the slower the vacuum can bleed off, and therefore the smaller the distance the slide can be pushed down before the next pulse, and therefore the smaller the distance the slide has to be pulled back up at the next pulse.

My opinion is that the perceived benefits of slide drilling may be at least somewhat related to resultant changes in fuel metering rather than to the speed at which the slide is allowed to move, in which case one should instead concentrate on achieving the correct float height, pilot jet, needle profile and clip position. Then most if not all of the benefits could be achieved without additional wear on a carburetor that is already chronically wear prone.

Regards,

Derek
Excellent stuff Derek. I hope anyone who ever wants to have a clue about what really is going on in a carb is paying attention. It's complicated ... and
every change affects something else ... but your explanations and clear and precise.

PLUS ONE on the wear prone reference regards the BST40. I'm on my 2nd carb due to slide and jet needle wear ... which was causing a stumble off idle. Instead of pulling the old carb apart & buying very expensive stock parts ... I simply bought a nice near new used DR650 Carb for $60. Installed my jetting and DJ needle into it ... All good. The first carb went 30,000 miles before showing wear and affecting running very slightly.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #55357
Biker Buzz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
nope, not faster air - MORE air. even if the opening is the same size, the snorkel is still a restriction, letting less air in. prolly is putting the airbox into a slightly negative pressure situation. less air is being pulled in w/the snorkel. cut open the air box, and you will let even more air in.

actually, w/the snorkel, the air in that situation is likely moving faster - yust not as much of it. making air travel further, which the snorkel does, makes it move faster. yust like making air travel faster over the longer dimension of the top of an airplane wing vs the shorter distance it travels under the wing, which provides the lift. but in the case of an airplane wing, it IS faster air, not more air, cuz there's no restriction - the wing is out in the open.

because the snorkel puts bends in the path of the air, the air is traveling faster than w/o it. unfortunately, it's also restricting the quantity of air. which is why removing it, and cutting a hole in the airbox means you will likely have to re-jet so you won't run too lean - MORE AIR not "faster air".

doug s.
The Size of the snorkel determines its volume...not its shape! For instance: A 1"x12" pipe bent in an "S" shape will have the exact same volume as a 1"x12" pipe that is straight. In other words, 12" is 12"...doesn't matter what shape it is. Which weighs more? A ton of feathers or a ton of rocks? See what I mean? Even if you took the airbox off completely and ran the engine, the lean/rich mixture wouldn't change. It would get the air in and out easier because of less restriction. That's why people use K&N filters and free flowing mufflers. Easier in and out.

"because the snorkel puts bends in the path of the air, the air is traveling faster than w/o it. unfortunately, it's also restricting the quantity of air."

How can it restrict the volume of air when the snorkel diameter is the same as the size of hole left after removing it? (pretty close in size, anyway.) I didn't mention anything about cutting another hole in the airbox.

I think by merely removing the snorkel it wouldn't have any significant change in the air/fuel mixture ratio. The hole in the box is pretty close to the size of the snorkel. I agree that the snorkel will restrict the velocity of air.

That's why building codes only allow so many bends in pipes, ducts, etc..in a given length. Bends restrict velocity of flow...not volume.

Biker Buzz screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 12:19 AM Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #55358
sander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
The Size of the snorkel determines its volume...not its shape! For instance: A 1"x12" pipe bent in an "S" shape will have the exact same volume as a 1"x12" pipe that is straight. In other words, 12" is 12"...doesn't matter what shape it is. Which weighs more? A ton of feathers or a ton of rocks? See what I mean? Even if you took the airbox off completely and ran the engine, the lean/rich mixture wouldn't change. It would get the air in and out easier because of less restriction. That's why people use K&N filters and free flowing mufflers. Easier in and out.

"because the snorkel puts bends in the path of the air, the air is traveling faster than w/o it. unfortunately, it's also restricting the quantity of air."

How can it restrict the volume of air when the snorkel diameter is the same as the size of hole left after removing it? (pretty close in size, anyway.) I didn't mention anything about cutting another hole in the airbox.

I think by merely removing the snorkel it wouldn't have any significant change in the air/fuel mixture ratio. The hole in the box is pretty close to the size of the snorkel. I agree that the snorkel will restrict the velocity of air.

That's why building codes only allow so many bends in pipes, ducts, etc..in a given length. Bends restrict velocity of flow...not volume.
Try sucking through a long drinking straw and then cut a short piece of and suck through that. It's harder for the motor to suck air through the snorkel so it needs a bigger pressure differential, so there has to be a lower pressure in the air box. So although the volume of the air box remains the same, there is less air in it.
sander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #55359
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
This thread SUCKS
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #55360
Pickled Amnesiac
ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer: 1,251
Question side cover protectors

hi guys... where do you get the stick on side cover (case) protectors?

search seems reluctantat the moment...

cheers fish.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #55361
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
The only way to increase velocity without increasing volume/cfm is to restrict the aperture.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #55362
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post

cheers fish.
procycle
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #55363
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Bikerbuzz.... it is more air. It is the same volume but it is more air. Confused yet. Air is a compressible substance so anything you do to restrict its flow causes a loss of pressure which means less molecules are present in the same volume. Bikes that have major modifications to exhaust or intake without changing the jetting typically run very badly because the air fuel ratio is way off.

PV=nRT is the ideal gas law which isn't strictly applicable here but it may help. P= pressure, V= volume, n = mass, R=universal gas constant, and T = temp. Ever notice your bike run differently when it's cold. Cold air is more dense given the same mass, pressure and volume (atmospheric pressure is fairly constant, but is affected by elevation and to a lesser extent weather). If you have the same volume and same temperature but less pressure you also have less mass to make the equation balance.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #55364
Dyno
Tilts at Windmills

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Makes sense, huh?
What do you think?
It's a helmholz resonator. The tube and box work in conjunction with one another to solve whatever problem the designer had in mind. In this case, it may have been to get the motor to run lean enough at one RPM range to allow it to pass an EPA test cycle. It may have been to get the airbox to be quiet enough to pass some test. It apparently wasn't designed to increase power.

From the Wikipedia:

It can be shown[2] that the resonant angular frequency is given by:
(rad/s),
where:
  • γ (gamma) is the adiabatic index or ratio of specific heats. This value is usually 1.4 for air and diatomic gases.
  • A is the cross-sectional area of the neck
  • m is the mass in the neck
  • P0 is the static pressure in the cavity
  • V0 is the static volume of the cavity
For cylindrical or rectangular necks, we have
where:
  • L is the length of the neck
  • Vn is the volume of air in the neck
(Boring density stuff deleted for brevity....)

thus, the frequency of the resonance is:
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #55365
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post

cheers fish.
Bad form to quote myself, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Might be prudent to add case savers. These should help in case of a tip over. They install in 10 minutes with a heavy bed (cushion) of hi-temp silicone (clean and degrease with isopropyl alcohol first).

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html