Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #55426
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Last time I was in Colorado, ('93) they were still selling leaded regular in the higher elevations. (Fairplay) That's the good stuff.
Umm...you REALLY don't want to run leaded gas in an engine not designed for it.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #55427
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
If you remove the hose from the hose barb, the edge of the filter is just visible. You should be able to grab it and pull it out of the barb.

Regards,

Derek
Haven't done anything other than dicking around with the air/fuel screw and idle level. Thanks though. I will get to that damn little filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Yeh , tricky little swine to get out !!! took mine out and found it half full of shite !!!! Left it out and fitted an in line filter 3 and you can SEE IT.
Phil
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see mine full of it too Phil. Maybe get a chance tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Sounds like the choke is stuck on to me.
That I did check and the choke is operating as it should.
===========

Just came down out of the mountains today from Denver to Grand Junction. Brutal ride over Vail Pass (10,650) with crappy carb, high winds, snow, rain, cold. Tell me again how much fun riding is ... Please. Bike is running a bit better at these lower altitudes but not the way it should.

Yesterday I switched up rides with another inmate who lives in Denver. His assessment was that my jetting and needle need to be dealt with. His DR had the air box cut, 46 rear sprocket and the correct needle and jets. Man, what a different bike. Those mods I'll be doing when I land in California. I wanted to get mine to sea level before starting to play around with things I know nothing about. Can't afford (time-wise) to screw anything up 'cause I've got miles to cover.

Thanks for all the input. The knowledge base on ADV is incredible. Oh, I've been reading posts about ethanol and mpg in Colorado. I've seen lots of E-gas and my mileage sucks as I may have mentioned a hundred times before.

Tomorrow's another day.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #55428
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
Hey guys, took my 2003 DR650 offroad for the first time today. Every time I ran over something soft, the front tire wants to collapse and take the bike with it. It has the stock trailwings. The rear tire is a brand new trailwing, the front is about half or more worn. Is the front tire the culprit? Is this why I have heard them referred to as deathwings? If so, can I use a non-matching front tire? Which one? I cannot afford both tires right now and the rear is new and seems to provide decent traction. Thanks!
Have you ever ridden dirt bikes? Or any bike off road before? I assume you're riding in that famous Florida sugar sand? That stuff is tough on a heavy bike. Sounds like you need a few lessons on off road riding technique ?

The Trail Wings are no good in deep sand or mud ... but good on most all dirt roads, light gravel and on the street, even in rain. "Death Wing" is the name inexperienced amateurs give these tires. It's BS. They are not dirt bike knobbies but limited dual sport tires. Expecting Moto Cross type performance from them is unrealistic.

Next time you go out there, lower front tire pressure to 14 psi and rear to 15 psi. This should help slightly ... especially in normal dirt as apposed to sand. But the Trail Wings will never be good tires for deep sand like in Fla. but lower pressure may help a bit.

Riding deep sand requires good riding technique and practice .... is best done with knobbies front and rear. Conti TKC80's are very popular among several other brands out there.

If you want to only ride in Sand and off road, get a nice, used 250cc two stroke dirt bike. Great for sand riding and great to learn off road riding on.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #55429
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
Agreed. This tire feels weird when pushed hard on the street, but I was really impressed with how it handled offroad single track today.
Maybe check the air pressure.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #55430
Biker Buzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
oops!

Does anyone know of a good replacement for the stock turn signals? Front and rear? I took a spill and broke a rear turn signal. $68.00 at the dealer...

I'm hoping maybe there's a LED replacement that is also shorter and does't stick out as much as the stock lights.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #55431
tobster9
Sky larker

Oddometer: 118
Thumbs down Hindle - Cheap and shitty

Hi people,

If anyones considering a new pipe, please consider carfeully before you buy a Hindle supposed Off Road one for your DR heres why.

I bought mine a year ago, cos it was $50 cheaper than an FMF, bad move. Have a look at the pic below for a sec....
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #55432
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I have a 01'GSXR exhaust and love it , no repacking and not obnoxiously loud, has a really good thumper tone to it. If you can score one it is well worth it.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #55433
tobster9
Sky larker

R&D my ass

If you look at the clearance between the swingarm and the Hindle supplied Muffler to mid pipe section, you can see it only has 2.25 inches before it starts to bottom out.

Saggy suspension - well this has an eibach HD spring on the back that wound down pretty tight, so she shes nothing like stock for sagginess.

The cool thing about how Hindle designed this, is not only will it bottom out and hit your swingarm but, the rear brake line is routed on top of the swingarm, this means that your brake line gets squashed and burnt thus saving contact with the arm, nice work R&D guys.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #55434
tobster9
Sky larker

So anyway heres a pic of the crack after a regular ride, i ride pretty hard but im not doing big jumps or anything.

The annoying part was that when I contacted Hindle to warn them that the pipe contacts the rear hose and over time this could be dangerous, they accused me of installing the pipe incorrectly and making the story up, this was after weeks of trying to get hold of them.

Not sure about you but there arent too many ways you can install a pipe, I should have installed it up Lee Hindles a**, which is the only good place for it. Having said that, it does sound good and adds a bunch of power.

My rant is complete and my FMF will be here any day.....
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #55435
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Umm...you REALLY don't want to run leaded gas in an engine not designed for it.
Why?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #55436
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Why?
Leaded fuels can foul your plugs but not if the plug burns hot enough, otherwise lead will plug up or cause issue with the catalytic converters in cars, may as well affect the O2 sensors. Lead was/is used a lot to decrease knocking and provide a cushion for the valves, mainly just used in aviation today. For the DR, I've been anxious to try some Av gas 100LL, not pay for it of course, just old sump gas...
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #55437
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buzz View Post
Does anyone know of a good replacement for the stock turn signals? Front and rear? I took a spill and broke a rear turn signal. $68.00 at the dealer...

I'm hoping maybe there's a LED replacement that is also shorter and does't stick out as much as the stock lights.
Any local dealer should have a bunch of replacement/aftermarket options for like $20 bucks.
Also try ebay/cyclegear/motorstrano etc...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #55438
ungeheuer
DRongo

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Be careful with wide band O2 sensors. A brief overview of reasons:

1) There is no direct relationship between O2 content and AFR.
My wideband lambda sensor measures the ratio of fuel to air in the exhaust gasses passing over its little sniffer sufficiently well enough for me to finally have my TM40-equipped DR running far better than was ever able to achieve using the alternative "seat-of-the-pants" method. I admire those who can set these things up be intuition. By feel. I however needed a device to measure the changes I was making and found the AFR gauge a most valuable tool, ending months of frustration.
Quote:
6) an O2 sensor's response time is not zero.
True. Its way more responsive than my ignorant arseDyno though.
Quote:
8) changes in pressure affect O2 sensor accuracy.
Quote:
9) changes in temperature affect O2 sensor accuracy.
Still more accurate than my arseDyno.

ungeheuer screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 06:46 AM
ungeheuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #55439
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
God help us if the DR ever advances technologically. Peoples heads will explode
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #55440
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180