Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrunas View Post
Hey inmates how goes it! Got a quick question - two dr650s on craigslist:

2007 7,500 miles $3,400 http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2610040677.html
2006 2,000 miles $3,500 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/2604566319.html

which would you recommend and why?

Thanks for the ad-vice!
Chris
I left two voice messages on that 2006 and the guy never called me back. have you tried contacting him yet?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #55427
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I left two voice messages on that 2006 and the guy never called me back. have you tried contacting him yet?
everytime i see a good deal on craigslist it turns out to be a scam, and they get my email i call them so they get my ph number it really piss'y me off to no end
Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #55428
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I think I've heard that Colorado doesn't have any ethanol. This would account for better mileage in CO.
Almost all the gas stations here in Colorado have ethanol mixed in the gas. The pumps all read "up to 10% ethanol". There are a few stations without ethanol in the Colorado Front Range area (Colorado Springs to Fort Collins), but they're never around when I need gas.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #55429
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I could be wrong here, but I know many areas of the country have differing amounts of ethanol blended into the gas. I think I've heard that Colorado doesn't have any ethanol. This would account for better mileage in CO. Someone chime in here as to the facts. In CT we have the most ethanol allowed by law in our crappy gas.
The MPG at altitude topic came up a few months back. I surmised altitude hurt MPG ... but was proven wrong. With the loss of power up high, I was "twisting it" a lot harder. But when I look at my notes from the trip ... this happened at just 7000 ft. Once I was over 9000 ft. MPG was better ... and going over the various passes (over 13,000 ft. MPG was much better)

Several folks that know came forward and stated engines run more efficiently up high and get better fuel economy ... and they explained how this works. Further research on my part proved this to be true. Higher up, better MPG.

I also got better MPG in Oregon and Idaho where a higher Ethanol % was in fuel. This on both my DR650 and Tiger 1050 ... which topped 50 MPG in Oregon! Gets about 45 in California.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #55430
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Almost all the gas stations here in Colorado have ethanol mixed in the gas. The pumps all read "up to 10% ethanol". There are a few stations without ethanol in the Colorado Front Range area (Colorado Springs to Fort Collins), but they're never around when I need gas.

.............shu
http://pure-gas.org/
http://www.buyrealgas.com/

Bob's conoco in steamboat springs, co has ethanol free gas.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #55431
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Work? It's four screws man, takes less than a minute.

I recommend the Dyno Jet kit to go with the cut air box top. The DJ needle is the key,really helps the DR650 run well. A 150 or 155 DJ main jet, stock pilot, 3rd or 4th clip, cut air box top with Twin-Air filter, extended fuel/air screw 1/2 to 1 turn out. 48 MPG, great power and smooth running everywhere.
I said I would take the side cover off-not cut holes. I am curious to see what it does to the A/F if for no other reason then to see it.... Thanks for the jetting start. I do ride off road now and then and do water crossings so I am a little hesitant to cut holes in the air box.

ER- Thanks for the link!

Dyno- Nice welds...mine would look like a bird shit on it if I did it!

My welder guy picked up the mid-pipe today and is going to tig it for me. Had some other work to do as well: I'm going to have him make a new mount bracket by the footpeg to get the pipe away from the heavy spring I run. I am also putting a short baffle in the mid pipe to try and quiet it down some. I got this pipe from another inmate- he wasn't kidding when he said it is LOUD. I even have the quiet/flame arrest insert in the muffler Yosh reccomends. I might try giving it some new packing to see if it helps. People look at you funny when you are setting off car alarms in parking lots!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #55432
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I said I would take the side cover off-not cut holes. I am curious to see what it does to the A/F if for no other reason then to see it.... Thanks for the jetting start. I do ride off road now and then and do water crossings so I am a little hesitant to cut holes in the air box.
You'll end up cutting the top off. Save time and frustration ... do it first!

Yep, water happens. If you go under ... remember that little squeezy rubber thingy at bottom of air box? It's a drain.
1. Shut motor off ASAP. 2. Push bike to dry land. 3. Drain air box.
Even stock, water can easily fill the air box if you go in too far. With the top cut open you can go under to seat height. Deeper than that .... start to bale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
My welder guy picked up the mid-pipe today and is going to tig it for me. Had some other work to do as well: I'm going to have him make a new mount bracket by the footpeg to get the pipe away from the heavy spring I run. I am also putting a short baffle in the mid pipe to try and quiet it down some. I got this pipe from another inmate- he wasn't kidding when he said it is LOUD. I even have the quiet/flame arrest insert in the muffler Yosh reccomends. I might try giving it some new packing to see if it helps. People look at you funny when you are setting off car alarms in parking lots!
That Yosh pipe is one of the most offensive pipes made. I'm not a fan.
You may be pissing in the wind trying to improvise a baffle. At best you'll knock it down a few db ... but lose any flow benefit the pipe may provide.
Repacking won't do much at all to reduce db level. Changes the pitch, not so much the amplitude.

I'd throw it in the trash and start over. Track down a nice GSXR pipe ... it's Titanium, OEM Suzuki, it's light, flows very well and sounds pretty nice ... not too loud. It will last forever ... just my .02 .
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #55433
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Moose hand guards

Got these in the mail yesterday but it looked too involved for my tired ass to tackle then so I tried the install tonight. It went very smooth and I'm mechanically challenged but in all honesty I think the PO had probably done all the grunt work and I didn't have to cut the grips or the throttle tube, it was already done. Otherwise they fit right on, only had to cut one of my balls off, the clutch lever was just a bit too long. Easy enough cutting those off and I probably should have cut off the brake lever while I was tuned in, it just fit. Note to yellow DR owners, the Moose yellow doesn't match the DR yellow, it's a bit more orangish but I put them on anyhow figuring they'll fade next summer, if not who gives a shit, it's a DR and it's usually pretty dirty anyhow. I'd have gone with the white now that I see them though.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #55434
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That Yosh pipe is one of the most offensive pipes made. I'm not a fan.
You may be pissing in the wind trying to improvise a baffle. At best you'll knock it down a few db ... but lose any flow benefit the pipe may provide.
Repacking won't do much at all to reduce db level. Changes the pitch, not so much the amplitude.

I'd throw it in the trash and start over. Track down a nice GSXR pipe ... it's Titanium, OEM Suzuki, it's light, flows very well and sounds pretty nice ... not too loud. It will last forever ... just my .02 .

I got the pipe from another inmate-he traded me for my stock one so I'm not out any $$ to play with it. I did look for a GSXR pipe for a while because that is what I really wanted...but they are getting hard to find and those that do have them are asking a lot for them (I know-I'm cheap! )

I will play with it...if it pisses me off too much I will sell it to some young buck that likes the noise!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #55435
southerndreamer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Zeta bar protectors

[QUOTE=ride4321;17053304]Got these in the mail yesterday but it looked too involved for my tired ass to tackle then so I tried the install tonight. It went very smooth and I'm mechanically challenged but in all honesty I think the PO had probably done all the grunt work and I didn't have to cut the grips or the throttle tube, it was already done. Otherwise they fit right on, only had to cut one of my balls off, the clutch lever was just a bit too long. Easy enough cutting those off and I probably should have cut off the brake lever while I was tuned in, it just fit. Note to yellow DR owners, the Moose yellow doesn't match the DR yellow, it's a bit more orangish but I put them on anyhow figuring they'll fade next summer, if not who gives a shit, it's a DR and it's usually pretty dirty anyhow. I'd have gone with the white now that I see them though.

Just about to fit these but not sure about the removal of the plug in the end of the throttle bar? it's very tight - advice please.
southerndreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #55436
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
[QUOTE=southerndreamer;17053387]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Got these in the mail yesterday but it looked too involved for my tired ass to tackle then so I tried the install tonight. It went very smooth and I'm mechanically challenged but in all honesty I think the PO had probably done all the grunt work and I didn't have to cut the grips or the throttle tube, it was already done. Otherwise they fit right on, only had to cut one of my balls off, the clutch lever was just a bit too long. Easy enough cutting those off and I probably should have cut off the brake lever while I was tuned in, it just fit. Note to yellow DR owners, the Moose yellow doesn't match the DR yellow, it's a bit more orangish but I put them on anyhow figuring they'll fade next summer, if not who gives a shit, it's a DR and it's usually pretty dirty anyhow. I'd have gone with the white now that I see them though.

Just about to fit these but not sure about the removal of the plug in the end of the throttle bar? it's very tight - advice please.
When I bought this bike that was removed, I actually put bar ends on when I bought it to cover the open ends and to help with vibes. According to instructions you cut the end of the grip then cut the throttle tube. I've read other replies that say just use a rubber or wood mallet and lightly pound the end of the grip, the bar will cut the grip nicely that way. Then you can either cut the tube or some say just move it in a bit. I didn't have to do either as it had already been done. There isn't much room to move it in but I think there's probably enough and if that's the case all you have to do is cut the end of the grip. The clutch side was easy but I did have to cut that ball off the lever. The instructions suck, I just googled it and got better info but I hat instructions, that's why I live alone

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #55437
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Question

Hey guys, took my 2003 DR650 offroad for the first time today. Every time I ran over something soft, the front tire wants to collapse and take the bike with it. It has the stock trailwings. The rear tire is a brand new trailwing, the front is about half or more worn. Is the front tire the culprit? Is this why I have heard them referred to as deathwings? If so, can I use a non-matching front tire? Which one? I cannot afford both tires right now and the rear is new and seems to provide decent traction. Thanks!
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #55438
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
Hey guys, took my 2003 DR650 offroad for the first time today. Every time I ran over something soft, the front tire wants to collapse and take the bike with it. It has the stock trailwings. The rear tire is a brand new trailwing, the front is about half or more worn. Is the front tire the culprit? Is this why I have heard them referred to as deathwings? If so, can I use a non-matching front tire? Which one? I cannot afford both tires right now and the rear is new and seems to provide decent traction. Thanks!
Try a KENDA 270 front.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #55439
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Try a KENDA 270 front.
Agreed. This tire feels weird when pushed hard on the street, but I was really impressed with how it handled offroad single track today.

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2004 525 EXC, 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #55440
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRinda505 View Post
I have a problem with electric start not always working, I'm suspecting the neutral start switch.
Here are the details.
I have bypassed and removed the kickstand safety switch and the clutch safety switch.
When the starter doesn't crank...
I turn on the key, and all electronics (lights on...) work.
The starter does not turn over the engine, no clicks or dimming of the headlight.
I can pull the plastic cover on the starter relay, and jumper the high current relay contacts to crank the engine, but it seems like no ignition spark.
After a couple of times doing this, the starter switch will start to work, and the bike fires right up.
It will continue to work normal for a few days, then reverts to the no crank condition, and I can then repeat the process.
I have a new starter relay here, but have not swapped it yet.
My suspicion is something loose inside the cover on the neutral switch?
Do these symptoms makes sense for this?
I know I'm being trouble shooting lazy here, but I'm hoping to use this wealth of experience to solve my problem.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Could easily be your battery terminals.. check if they are clean and tight.
Or the Kill switch on the handlebads...
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote