Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #55936
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Stupid stupid stupid question......with the fork gaiters, how do you know if you have a fork seal leak....told ya it was a stupid question......you were warned.
The bike will give you a hint...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #55937
steve o 77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
finally got rid of the tin-can stock handlebars (mine were pretty severely bent by the previous owner). The bike now sports some bling gold steel bars of higher quality (unknown brand but they're thicker walled) that were free (thanks dad!).

One question though, should I bother drilling holes in the bars for the kill switch/turn signal clamps? or can I just grind off the little nubs on the clamps? just wondering what most people on here do to remedy this on new bars.

thanks.

here's a pic

Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #55938
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
finally got rid of the tin-can stock handlebars (mine were pretty severely bent by the previous owner). The bike now sports some bling gold steel bars of higher quality (unknown brand but they're thicker walled) that were free (thanks dad!).

One question though, should i bother drilling holes in the bars for the kill switch/turn signal clamps? Or can i just grind off the little nubs on the clamps? Just wondering what most people on here do to remedy this on new bars.

Thanks.

Here's a pic

first of all you must be single if your parking in your living room. I remember those days.
I prefer to grind the nub out of the switch housing. Making sure to leave a small bit to bike the bar. I have drill a lot of bars and it is to much of a pain in bum to drill those holes and get it right. People might dis agree with me but i never had a problem. ANOTHER THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO IS ROTATE YOUR BARS FORWARD A LITTLE BIT TO GET THEM LESS IN YOUR LAP AND GIVES YOU MORE LEVERAGE
Chears mott

EBMOTT screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 04:46 PM Reason: WANTED TO AD MORE
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #55939
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Some DR video. This was just outside Waihi in the Coromandel area of New Zealand. I mounted my standard resolution GoPro facing backwards on the DR, there's about 5 other DR's on the ride.

It starts off as some farm tracks but after about 2 minutes we get into some muddy and boggy tracks and at 5'40" we got to ride through an old gold mining trail tunnel.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #55940
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,436
Nice... the tunnel at 6:30 looks great.

I happened to be working in Aukland about 6 months ago and finished my work a couple of days ahead of schedule, so I rented a DL650 and toured around the Coromandel Peninsula -- strictly paved road riding, no trails.... but what an awesome road for motorcycles. The scenery was a series of non-stop, breath-taking vistas. And the twists, turns, ups and downs.

Would love to get back there and explore some more -- especially off-road.

http://www.fy-yff.com/2011/04/back-h...or-riding.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Some DR video. This was just outside Waihi in the Coromandel area of New Zealand. I mounted my standard resolution GoPro facing backwards on the DR, there's about 5 other DR's on the ride.

It starts off as some farm tracks but after about 2 minutes we get into some muddy and boggy tracks and at 5'40" we got to ride through an old gold mining trail tunnel.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #55941
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Hey folks. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying a DR that I can taste it....

Anyway I was hoping someone could do me a favour and measure the width of the stock seat? According to Corbin's web site their seat measures 11.5 inches wide....Is this quite a bit wider than stock?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #55942
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
What is the trick?

I have read many posts on you guys riding 6,000 plus miles on a trip and doing 75 mph for 10 hours let me in on the secret.
I have the sergeant seat and HIway pegs and cant take it for more then a few hours.
I need to know!
Do I sit on broken glass or what.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #55943
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I have read many posts on you guys riding 6,000 plus miles on a trip and doing 75 mph for 10 hours let me in on the secret.
I have the sergeant seat and HIway pegs and cant take it for more then a few hours.
I need to know!
Do I sit on broken glass or what.
Stand up, sit down, move around, fidget, swing your legs, put your feet up on the passenger pegs: I have a Sargent, it's not a lounge chair but it's tolerable. Get a small windshield to block some of the air trying to blow you back. Take a lot of breaks. Get off the interstate and ride where the riding is more interesting. 300-350 miles/ day is a decent day. Once you start throwing in dirt roads 250-300 miles can be an all day ride. But you can ride day after day that way.

75 mph for 10 hours, though, is not fun. What's the point?

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #55944
steve o 77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMOTT View Post
first of all you must be single if your parking in your living room. I remember those days.
I prefer to grind the nub out of the switch housing. Making sure to leave a small bit to bike the bar. I have drill a lot of bars and it is to much of a pain in bum to drill those holes and get it right. People might dis agree with me but i never had a problem. ANOTHER THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO IS ROTATE YOUR BARS FORWARD A LITTLE BIT TO GET THEM LESS IN YOUR LAP AND GIVES YOU MORE LEVERAGE
Chears mott
Awesome, thanks. Yeah Im 21 and still in college so I park my bike where I want lol.

I will probably end up doing that, especially since there are holes in them already (in the wrong places) from when they were on my dad's ZRX1100.

Ill also try rotating them forward a bit. The bike really needs higher bend bars for me (im 6'2) but these will do for free.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #55945
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Why I ask,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Stand up, sit down, move around, fidget, swing your legs, put your feet up on the passenger pegs: I have a Sargent, it's not a lounge chair but it's tolerable. Get a small windshield to block some of the air trying to blow you back. Take a lot of breaks. Get off the interstate and ride where the riding is more interesting. 300-350 miles/ day is a decent day. Once you start throwing in dirt roads 250-300 miles can be an all day ride. But you can ride day after day that way.

75 mph for 10 hours, though, is not fun. What's the point?

.........shu
The reason I am asking is I have talked my son into going to Kilgore TX to do the Corrosion and cathartic protection class at Kilgore collage on the GI Bill he is a Iraq disabled Army Vet.
I work for the local gas company in AZ plan B get him on here, Plan A staying in TX and getting on with a oil Company.
Kilgore is 1190 miles form my house and I may tool over on the DR650 and see my two grand kids.

I have a small windshield and do some of the things you said, but I have found the more interesting the better.
I am also looking at the 2012 DL650 or 2012 Jeep
Wrangler Rubicon with the new V6 or use my many air miles. Paul
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #55946
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Hey folks. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying a DR that I can taste it....

Anyway I was hoping someone could do me a favour and measure the width of the stock seat? According to Corbin's web site their seat measures 11.5 inches wide....Is this quite a bit wider than stock?
Stocker is about 7" at the widest. So yes....plus the Corbin is scooped a little instead of crowned like the stock seat. The Corbin does take up a little inseam due to it's shape so my son's (with Corbin & lowered) gives me about the same amount of foot on the ground as mine (PC suspension kits & Seat Concepts)

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #55947
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post

It's a bit wider than stock...'don't have the stock measurements handy though. I'd get a Corbin for a streetbike, but not a bike I might be picking up in the dirt several times a ride. There are much lighter options that are also all-day comfortable. Corbins are built on a heavy seatpan and are well-suited for road bikes, where weight is not a real issue.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #55948
Commander Crash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
3 rd gear blow ups

Does anyone know if the 3rd gear blow ups are on stock gearing 15-42 , or if they are from lower gearing , 14 -45,48 ?
Commander Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #55949
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
There are much lighter options that are also all-day comfortable.
Any examples Kommando? I know for a fact that the stocker isn't going to do it for me so a new more comfortable seat is a must for me...

And I think going with a well built WIDER seat is the way to go for me as well....I'm pretty big boned if you catch my drift
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #55950
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have also wanted a lower fender for my 'tarded dr650. but, mine, w/usd forks from an rm, requires a different solution. i have seen pics of a yamaha r6 fender mounted to the mudguards of usd forks on a honda; this looks to be the way i will go, and i will do w/o the upper "sail" altogether.

but, one major point about how you spent your time and money last night - you wasted BOTH!!! here's a suggestion: do not EVER proxy bid on ebay. doing so yust drives up the price - folks will bid against your proxy bid, bumping the bid price higher and higher, until they either give up, or become high bidder. if your proxy bid ain't there, they will stop bidding a lot sooner. and, if you are really wanting something, there is no need to stay up half the night. simply use a snipe service - decide what is the most you are willing to pay, put the bid in w/the snipe service, and it will automatically put your bid in 5 seconds before the auction closes. that way you can be fast asleep when your bid goes in, and you don't have to worry about your bid being out there on ebay, for everyone to be bidding against. prolly exactly what the winner of those forks you were wanting did. either you win it or not, but you don't waste time & money in the process. here's the service i use - you don't even have to pay if you don't want, but even if you use their paying service, it's still way cheaper in the long run than proxy bidding on ebay:

http://www.gixen.com/index.php

doug s.
Believe me,i know how to eBay,just got 'out snipered'!
U.S.D forks/guard!Have a look at the Honda FMX650 set up.......dont know if that helps you!
Attached Images

macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote