Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #55951
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I have read many posts on you guys riding 6,000 plus miles on a trip and doing 75 mph for 10 hours let me in on the secret.
I have the sergeant seat and HIway pegs and cant take it for more then a few hours.
I need to know!
Do I sit on broken glass or what.
A few tips:

- Work your way up to it. Start with 200-300 mile days, then 400-500, then 500-600, and so on. You wouldn't run an Ironman without training for it, would you? My DR still has the stock seat, and I just covered over 200 miles of mostly dirt roads on it today...2up, with tankbags and topbox. I could hop on again tomorrow and ride to another state and back. I'm used to it.

- Throttle lock and/or crampbuster for your throttle hand.

- Sort your carbing. If your bike surges at constant throttle, or lugs badly at low RPMs, it can grate on you trying to run a relaxed pace in a tall gear. If your DR pulls low RPMs nicely, and drones at constant throttle smoothly, mileage will rack up much easier.

- Sort your suspension for weight and usage. You want it plush yet controlled. A harsh or sloppy suspension will wear you out or even hurt you.

- Stay hydrated, and maintain good electrolyte and sugar levels. Take a hydration pouch. Alternate water and Gatorade. Eat a banana once in a while too. Towards the end of the day, try to drink some cherry juice. It's good for alleviating sore muscles the next day.

- Dress comfortably. If your helmet causes hotspots, your feet are always sweaty, your hands are always cold, the seat of your pants chafe, and your jacket bunches up in places, you're gonna fatigue quickly. Choose your layers carefully. Make sure your helmet fits your head properly before you buy it. Many swear by powder on the bum, padded cycling shorts, and a wicking T-shirt. I swear by versatile gear, like the Tourmaster Flex, Fieldsheer MotoMorph, or similar, jacket and pants. With waterproofing treatment on it, you can be comfortable in the same gear from riding in snow, through 50-70F rain, to above 90F with the sun beating down. Wear wicking socks and waterproof/breathable boots. Carry (an) appropriate set(s) of gloves for weather you're likely to encounter. If cold is a possibility, bring a wind-resistant neck-gaiter or balaclava.

- Lower your pillion pegs too. With the touring pegs on as well, you can then lean forward, lean back, and sit up straight. You may also want to avoid seats that slope fore or aft. Flat seats don't make you fight to stay in position.

- A lot of people swear by earplugs. I listen to the radio or MP3 player via my ScalaRider. I also talk a lot with my passenger.

- Get in decent shape if you're not already. Train your core and your flexibility. Many kicking martial arts (kung fu, karate, etc.) are good for this, and you can also learn a valuable skillset. Look for an affordable school that trains more for self-defense and overall fitness, rather than competitions or forms.

- Put good mirrors on your bikes. I swear by the FAR tall, foldable, KTM-style mirrors. They aren't the most durable, from what I hear, but they're lighter than stock and...I don't have to bob and weave to see around me. I can use mostly just peripheral vision while looking directly ahead, yet still see pretty much 360 around me. I can ride aware, yet still ride relaxed, which cuts down considerably on fatigue, especially in heavy traffic and/or having to stop/slow much for intersections while wondering if the drivers behind me are paying attention.

- Sort your bar position.

- Get a good shower and good rest at the end of the day.

- Figure out what still bothers you and why, then address it directly.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #55952
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I have read many posts on you guys riding 6,000 plus miles on a trip and doing 75 mph for 10 hours let me in on the secret.
I have the sergeant seat and HIway pegs and cant take it for more then a few hours. I need to know! Do I sit on broken glass or what.
A lot depends on how much you ride and what distances you're used to. Also, a big part of doing big miles is in your head. Your have to be "in the groove" to do 10 hour days. Our riding group frequently do 3 day weekend rides ... averaging about 250 miles a day, sometimes stretching to 350 or more on the last day getting home. Like from Death Valley to San Francisco. I have managed to do a solo ride doing Four, 400 mile days back to back. In Mexico I take it easy and try to knock off by 3pm and have a Beer or Margarita in my hand shortly thereafter. But I'm used to riding distance and have done it non-stop for the last 15 years.

Sometimes it can take a day or two to get yourself into that mental "Groove". State of mind is everything. A good seat is a must and a buzz free bike helps too. I can't recommend highway pegs ... they put your feet forward and place more weight on your spine ... and very bad thing.
If anything, you want to maintain a slight forward cant. Relax your hands and arms ... lean into wind. Change position, move around, stand occasionally ... whatever works.

Windshields are another question mark. If your shield is at all noisy then that will ruin any chance at stringing long days together. You'll be totally hammered after the first day from wind noise ... and will never recover.
(even with ear plugs ... which of course are a MUST)
I ride with NO shield and never without good ear plugs.

Longest day on DR650? 1000 miles in about 16 hours.

Being fit really helps. (I am not) Young guys do long days easily. I'm 63 and have to work at it. Here's how I do it:

1. Stretching and Breathing. (Yoga training) I stretch at every gas, pee or food break. Really comprehensive stretching ... I was a gymnast as a kid ... so I know how. Breathing brings back focus and energy. I take frequent breaks ... about every 150 to 180.

2. Food. The less the better, but a good breakfast helps. Add light, healthful snacks throughout the day. Big mid day meals will ruin your day.

3. Water. A major plus, especially in heat. This will erase fatigue, make your overnight recovery like magic. Water Water Water.

4. The mental part. That "Groove" thing. Can't help with this ... everyone is different. Get there anyway you can. I never take speed or smoke Pot or take any Drugs other than the ones that keep me alive.

Whatever you do ... pay attention ... and if you're nodding off.
Get Off The Bike ... Now! Tomorrow is another day!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #55953
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Any examples Kommando? I know for a fact that the stocker isn't going to do it for me so a new more comfortable seat is a must for me...

And I think going with a well built WIDER seat is the way to go for me as well....I'm pretty big boned if you catch my drift
Renazco, Procycle, Mayer, Russell. There are a lot of people that just get a recover/refoam kit, or have an upholstery shop or cycle shop recover/refoam a seat for them. Seat Concepts offers a kit like mentioned. Check out the options on Procycle's website. The stocker is a 2x4, and I seem to be ok with it, but I can definitely see how it won't work for most.

"Plush" is not a word that could be used to describe it.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #55954
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
The reason I am asking is I have talked my son into going to Kilgore TX to do the Corrosion and cathartic protection class at Kilgore collage on the GI Bill he is a Iraq disabled Army Vet.
I work for the local gas company in AZ plan B get him on here, Plan A staying in TX and getting on with a oil Company.
Kilgore is 1190 miles form my house and I may tool over on the DR650 and see my two grand kids.

I have a small windshield and do some of the things you said, but I have found the more interesting the better.
I am also looking at the 2012 DL650 or 2012 Jeep
Wrangler Rubicon with the new V6 or use my many air miles. Paul
Take a look at some of the other multi-cylinder bikes out there too...F800GS, Tiger 800s, etc. While a DR can surely do big distances, most Adv multis will do them more comfortably. If you're on a tight budget though, your existing DR will be almost impossible to beat for trail/slab versatility, with it's balance of power and economy.

Another thing I do when I'm riding solo is to stretch out on the DR by scooting way back on the flat seat ocasionally. This lets me stretch my legs, arms, and back, while sitting on a different part of my butt for a while. I also cut a bit of additional wind by using a tankbag and tank panniers.

A Jeep won't be nearly as economical...unless you can swap in a 4cyl turbo-diesel or something, but it'll be much better in nasty weather. How likely are you to encounter snow? If you want 4WD and decent MPG, there is also the Suzuki SX4 (with some 215/75R15 siped mudders).
Old 10-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #55955
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
Does anyone know if the 3rd gear blow ups are on stock gearing 15-42 , or if they are from lower gearing , 14 -45,48 ?
Doesn't matter,it's a metal problem in a small number of bikes.Going by the 3rd gear in front of me here,it's also a design fault,they 'shear' though the narrow point between were it's attaches to the shaft in the middle,and the low point in the gear teeth.Had the gear tooth been 'turned the width of a tooth,it might have had a huge difference,thicker metal.I'm no engineer,that's me just going by what i see!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #55956
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
Does anyone know if the 3rd gear blow ups are on stock gearing 15-42 , or if they are from lower gearing , 14 -45,48 ?
Some stock, some modded.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #55957
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Renazco, Procycle, Mayer, Russell. There are a lot of people that just get a recover/refoam kit, or have an upholstery shop or cycle shop recover/refoam a seat for them. Seat Concepts offers a kit like mentioned. Check out the options on Procycle's website. The stocker is a 2x4, and I seem to be ok with it, but I can definitely see how it won't work for most.

"Plush" is not a word that could be used to describe it.
On the subject of.......anyone tried one from Pak Meister?
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #55958
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Believe me,i know how to eBay,just got 'out snipered'!
U.S.D forks/guard!Have a look at the Honda FMX650 set up.......dont know if that helps you!
hey, glad you got the ebay thing down. but, your saying you stayed up half the night watching an auction made me think otherwise; it amazes me that there's still folks out there who actually try to manually snipe auctions, or proxy bid.

thanks for the honda fmx650 idea; i will have to check it out...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #55959
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,365
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #55960
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Any examples Kommando? I know for a fact that the stocker isn't going to do it for me so a new more comfortable seat is a must for me...

And I think going with a well built WIDER seat is the way to go for me as well....I'm pretty big boned if you catch my drift

As another "big boned" DR pilot, I'm very pleased with my Corbin. They start out a little stiff, but they do break-in and get much more comfortable. That, taller bars, an IMS tank and a Parabellum screen make 10 hour days very doable...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #55961
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Cry

What would cause a dr650 to turn its oil into what looks exactly like chocolate milk after only 100-200 miles? I just got this bike 600 miles ago and have to change the oil for the 4th time :( previous owner says he ran bel-ray 90wt gearsaver, oil looked new when bought. been running bel-ray thumper syn blend 10-40 but thats too expensive now so just picked up some rotella t 15-40. also bike had only 3600 miles when i got it, and just noticed the cylinder looks like its been removed before all filters are new.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #55962
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
What would cause a dr650 to turn its oil into what looks exactly like chocolate milk after only 100-200 miles? I just got this bike 600 miles ago and have to change the oil for the 4th time :( previous owner says he ran bel-ray 90wt gearsaver, oil looked new when bought. been running bel-ray thumper syn blend 10-40 but thats too expensive now so just picked up some rotella t 15-40. also bike had only 3600 miles when i got it, and just noticed the cylinder looks like its been removed before all filters are new.
water or condensation , or milk chocolate
just change the oil
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #55963
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,906
How long are your rides? Short hops don't allow the engine to get up to operating temps and moisture will condense inside the engine, causing chocolate oil. I rode 170 miles Friday, and the oil temp was under 200* most of the time. Moisture won't burn off until 212*, (think steam). I have an aftermarket oil temp gauge, sender in the front of the engine case. An infrared thermometer will work for oil temp.

Check the oil window frequently, as soon as the chocolate appears, take a long ride. This will be when there is the least moisture in the oil and it will burn off quickly. If you wait too long after the milky appearance, there may be enough moisture in the oil to cause damage.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 12:12 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #55964
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
How long are your rides? Short hops don't allow the engine to get up to operating temps and moisture will condense inside the engine, causing chocolate oil. I rode 170 miles Friday, and the oil temp was under 200* most of the time. Moisture won't burn off until 212*, (think steam). I have an aftermarket oil temp gauge, sender in the front of the engine case. An infrared thermometer will work for oil temp.

Check the oil window frequently, as soon as the chocolate appears, take a long ride. This will be when there is the least moisture in the oil and it will burn off quickly. If you wait too long after the milky appearance, there may be enough moisture in the oil to cause damage.
rides have been 100 miles on interstate so i can only imagine it got hot enough to burn off.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #55965
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,626
I modded both my 97 seat and my 02 and it worked out so well I don't even think about the seat anymore... that's the best testimony. Flatter, wider in the sitting portion, and 'float' attached.. the bolts pin the seat to the frame so that the frame vibration etc transmits harshly to the pan. remove the bolts and just tie those tabs with wire so the upward [fly-off] motion is constrained a tad, but otherwise it gets to take advantage of the rubber bumpers suzi thoughtfully added
I think I paid 65 for the job - i drew it out and got a boat upholsterer to do the cutting/whacking and very fine middle-firm foam. recovered with the stock cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
If I were buying a DR, I wouldn't worry about the seat, yet.

I have only had mine a couple months, so I need more seat-time before I even think about options. Longest day on it so far isn't epic, just 2 hours each way, same day, to spectate at an enduro. I can say it is better than my DR350 seat.

My '06 came with the gel seat mounted + the stock. I rode briefly with the gel, switched to the stock just for comparison, and have never bothered to put the gel back on. Not sure the gel isn't better, it may be, but frankly, the stock seat just doesn't bother me that much.

Anyway, just saying I wouldn't decide to spend $350 for a seat based on other people's opinions of the stocker.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote