Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #55951
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
help pwease

hey ya'll

i've done searches but can't quite find out... i'm doing a home job mod to the choke cable and mine never worked to begin with.

when the choke is ON is the little brass piston BACKED OUT of its little cylinder? or is it the other way around?

one more thing while i got the bike torn apart...

the header weld everyone talks about, is it located INSIDE the pipe?

thanks a lot!
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #55952
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
does anyone know where to buy stock carb mainjets individually? i have a 145 installed, but now the carb is modified, header weld grinded, modded airbox, and a new DG exhaust on the way. Does a 155 sound about right? where to buy individually? i already have the slide drilled and adjustable needle jet. thanks.
Jets R Us seems to have a decent selection. They offer OEM or aftermarket choices. They have been prompt with shipping.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #55953
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
hey ya'll
the header weld everyone talks about, is it located INSIDE the pipe?

thanks a lot!
Yes.

-- alonzo
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #55954
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
When the choke is ON is the little brass piston BACKED OUT of its little cylinder? or is it the other way around?
The choke is not like a old school butterfly in the carb inlet tract.
On the BST and TM 40 it is more of a controlled leak.
It is as you say.
The brass plunger has a seal on the end which covers a fuel passage,when you pull the choke lever on the plunger uncovers the passage allowing fuel to flow to another passage that exits into the carburetor inlet tract creating a rich mixture.
When the choke lever is returned to the off position,the cable allows the plunger to move inward again via the small return spring,covering the passage.
One reason to make sure it is in good working order to avoid the plunger not seating properly and the resulting poor mileage.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #55955
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Alright. Educate me .

My Corbin seat fits my stock tank.
My stock DR seat fits my stock tank.
My stock DR seat fits an IMS tank.
How come my Corbin seat which fits my stock tank wont fit an IMS tank then?

I guess what I'm asking is whats the actual diff between the Corbin seatpan for stock and the Corbin seatpan for IMS?

And can I make Corbin-for-stock fit an IMS? I mean how different can they be?

Cheers .
IMS has seen fit in their wisdom to make the angle on the back of their tank different...

A bit like Clarke bringing out a tank for the TT350 Yammy that's exactly the same capacity as stock but 10 times more expensive.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #55956
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
shameless plug

Gang the turnsignal relocator is selling well. would like to get enough of these out there to fund the "Type 2" which will be 4-bolt size with knockouts for switches and Accessory socket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110753607721#ht_1261wt_1185

despite whats in the ebay listing, we do have some units in Australia and Canada if you'd prefer to buy from those inmates, and I can arrange ship wherever and just pass through the incremental cost... the worst part is that I have to get a human at the USPS to stamp the customs forms, and I don't live close to any of them... Just another excuse to kick the tires and light the fires
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #55957
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
flex and NO flex

The stock seat pan has some flex to it ... the Corbin seat pan is hard as heck - has NO flex to it ..
Quote:
Sooo then....how come the stock seat fits the IMS's different tank slope-angle then?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #55958
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Sooo then....how come the stock seat fits the IMS's different tank slope-angle then?
Corbin seat pan is very stiff. It won't just bend into place like the stock one.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #55959
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,855
Quote:
hey ya'll

when the choke is ON is the little brass piston BACKED OUT of its little cylinder? or is it the other way around?
Check this : http://www.kientech.com/DR650HandChokeConv.htm

I was having trouble with my cable operated choke so I went with the hand choke. Same as every bike ever owned. You know it's closed cuz you push it shot.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #55960
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Question Help with Cogent Shock Install

I'm finally getting around to reinstalling my upgraded rear shock after getting it back from Cogent and I am stumped. It's too late to call Rick tonight so thought I would check here for help before calling him in the morning.

Basically I can't get the shock's mounting holes to line up so that I can get the mounting bolts thru. It "seems" like the shock is 1/16-1/8" too long.

I can get the upper mounting bolt in OK. But I can't get the cushion lever, where the lower bolt goes, into a position where the holes line up with the shock's holes. I've got the cushion rods (dogbones) disconnected from the cushion lever so that the lever has maximum play. But in its lowest position (maximum distance between shock mounting points on the bike), the lever's mounting holes are above those of the shock.

What am I missing here? I consider myself a pretty good bike wrencher.

If somebody has a stock, Cogent or any other DR shock that is set up for standard ride height and not currently mounted on your bike, can I get you to measure the distance between mounting holes on the shock (center to center). My distance is 18-3/16" or about 462mm.

Thanks.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #55961
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I'm finally getting around to reinstalling my upgraded rear shock after getting it back from Cogent and I am stumped. It's too late to call Rick tonight so thought I would check here for help before calling him in the morning.

Basically I can't get the shock's mounting holes to line up so that I can get the mounting bolts thru. It "seems" like the shock is 1/16-1/8" too long.

I can get the upper mounting bolt in OK. But I can't get the cushion lever, where the lower bolt goes, into a position where the holes line up with the shock's holes. I've got the cushion rods (dogbones) disconnected from the cushion lever so that the lever has maximum play. But in its lowest position (maximum distance between shock mounting points on the bike), the lever's mounting holes are above those of the shock.

If somebody has a stock, Cogent or any other DR shock that is set up for standard ride height and not currently mounted on your bike, can I get you to measure the distance between mounting holes on the shock (center to center). My distance is 18-3/16" or about 462mm.

Thanks.
Lifting the bike higher so the swingarm angles down more doesn't gain you enough room?

A stock shock is about 17-7/8"
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #55962
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Lifting the bike higher so the swingarm angles down more doesn't gain you enough room?
I disconnected the dogbones so the swingarm isn't a factor here. The spine of the cushion lever is against the frame in the max (lowest) position. I can't get anymore distance without getting out the grinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
A stock shock is about 17-7/8"
Hmmm. That's a 5/16" difference. I think that length would fit easy. I'll have to talk to Rick about this tomorrow. Thanks for the measurement.

joefromsf screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 05:51 PM
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #55963
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
My Ohlins is about 6 mm longer than stock and I had to do some trimming to get it it fit, 461.5mm long with 134mm of shaft travel.The stock DR shock is 455mm long with 128mm travel.

Seems like yours has been lengthened.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=54

Steve
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #55964
Fabone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post

If somebody has a stock, Cogent or any other DR shock that is set up for standard ride height and not currently
mounted on your bike, can I get you to measure the distance between mounting holes on the shock (center to center). My distance is 18-3/16" or about 462mm.

Thanks.

Mount up the bottom end first, then shoehorn the top in. That's what I did.
Fabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #55965
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
My Ohlins is about 6 mm longer than stock and I had to do some trimming to get it it fit, 461.5mm long with 134mm of shaft travel.The stock DR shock is 455mm long with 128mm travel.

Seems like yours has been lengthened.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=54

Steve
Thanks Steve. Another confirmation my shock is too long.