Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #56356
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
You might try to get stainless steel staples. Might minimize rust issues and restapling down the road.
I used galvanized staples. I had to tap most of them with a hammer to fully seat them. (which is important, because you need the horizontal part of the staple holding the fabric, not just the posts.)

As for preventing rust on non stainless or galvanized, you can also paint them with a little clear lacquer or nail polish.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #56357
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,978
Hi Everyone,

DR650 noob here (but not a Suzuki noob, this is my 4th Zuk). I traded for eldomike's DR650.

I was wondering if the Raptor 660 petcock (like used on the DR350) will work on the stock tank? My DR currently has an IMS tank on it but I wanted to get the stocker back to working condition, if necessary. I'm not a big fan of the vacuum petcocks. TIA - Dave.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #56358
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,410
Hey Dave .....
Yes ... the "Raptor" petcock will work on the DR650SE tanks ..

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#fuelsystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Hi Everyone,

DR650 noob here (but not a Suzuki noob, this is my 4th Zuk). I traded for eldomike's DR650.

I was wondering if the Raptor 660 petcock (like used on the DR350) will work on the stock tank? My DR currently has an IMS tank on it but I wanted to get the stocker back to working condition, if necessary. I'm not a big fan of the vacuum petcocks. TIA - Dave.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #56359
tv guy
Commuter

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Doug is still happily riding that '05 by the way, 41,xxx miles or so on it, he wouldn't let me have it back. Some husband. Thanks everybody!

Sarah
Welcome back, I can't help you with the pipe questions but would love to hear your thoughts comparing your Yammie and the DR. The 250R has been on my short list for my next bike.

cheers!

It's Transportation!
tv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #56360
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,768
mine was off a tad over one notch also

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Yes - Eakins explained it a little better. One of my adjusteris is on 4, the other is on 3. I used the same tool Eakins posted but you can use a string or save your money for rum and use angle stock.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #56361
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Thumb

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv guy View Post
comparing your Yammie and the DR. The 250R has been on my short list for my next bike.

cheers!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #56362
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Hello folks. I made a run up to Ohio yesterday and bought myself a pretty blue '08. I don't think I can make myself tolerate that heavy stock pipe so I'm in the market. I've been happy with a Q4 on the WR and wonder about that vs the GSXR set up, which sounds wonderful but is a bit of trouble. Or what about that less expensive DG pipe with the Khromewerks baffle I read about on DR Riders? If any of you have hashed out the current pipe options I'd sure like to hear what you think. Seems like there's a bunch more choices now than there was back when I outfitted my first DR. Doug is still happily riding that '05 by the way, 41,xxx miles or so on it, he wouldn't let me have it back. Some husband. Thanks everybody!

Sarah
hi sarah,

the only "trouble" w/the gsxr set-up is finding one. or, you could find a tsukigi upgrade gsxr can, which is what i did, after i tired of trying to find one from a gsxr. (i actually stumbled across it in my search for a stock gsxr can.) these solutions are best, imo, if only because these cans never need repacking. i did my set-up with powerbomb hi-flow set-up and kientech hi-flow mid-pipe see details here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t#post16965800
and here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=55106

hth,

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 09:22 AM Reason: to correct grade-school grammar. :>/
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #56363
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Question Time to replace ims petcock -

What's the consensus at this point re: upgrading Petcock? I got by with the IMS one longer than most, but its overdue for the trashbin.
Which one is best to replace?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #56364
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Well, when I had my DR350SEs, I switched to the Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock because it's fits in the stock tank and eliminates the need for a vacuum connection. So, I'm thinking I'll stick with that (for both the steel o.e. tank as well as the IMS tank). I also had an IMS tank on my '99 DR350SE and added another petcock to the right side of the tank (dual petcocks) so I could access the "trapped" fuel without having to tip the bike over on its left side (to get the fuel to spill over).

On my recently traded Transalp, there was a Motion-Pro quick-disconnect which makes removing the tank much, much easier. I'm thinking I'll get one of those for each of my tanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #56365
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
On my recently traded Transalp, there was a Motion-Pro quick-disconnect which makes removing the tank much, much easier. I'm thinking I'll get one of those for each of my tanks.
Those are the dreaded plastic quick disconnects that have been haunting BMW owners for years. The concept is good but ethanol seems to eat them, causing leaks. If you are going to do this, get metal bodied disconnects. BeemerBoneyard has them at a reasonable price (cheaper than the plastic ones in your link, IIRC).

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #56366
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,821
WRR vs DR

I'm not sure what I'd say at this point. At 29,7xx miles the crankshaft counterbalancer bearing failed in the WR. All supposed to be covered by the extended warranty though, so it's in the shop waiting on parts. Nobody has a clue what happened, mechanic says the rest of the engine looks like it has maybe a thousand miles on it. A machinist buddy says I just got a Monday bearing. But the whole thing made me rethink the bike for next year's Alaska trip, so back to a DR.

Thanks for the comments on the DR pipes. For those with aftermarket pipes needing a repack, take a look at the Moose repack cartridges. Made repacking the Q4 on a WR a piece of cake. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #56367
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,074
Quote:
Well, when I had my DR350SEs, I switched to the Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock because it's fits in the stock tank and eliminates the need for a vacuum connection. So, I'm thinking I'll stick with that (for both the steel o.e. tank as well as the IMS tank). I also had an IMS tank on my '99 DR350SE and added another petcock to the right side of the tank (dual petcocks) so I could access the "trapped" fuel without having to tip the bike over on its left side (to get the fuel to spill over).

you have to drill the hole a little bit on the IMS tank w/ the yamaha petcock but that would be a good choice. the pingle is a no drill option.
i've had no issues w/ the IMS one. the stock one will still work just ground a little bit of the motor fin where i just touches.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #56368
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
The supertrapp was relatively inexpensive and works well. You can control the volume with the number of discs you put in. Come to Ohio more often!!!
Along with volume, it also reduces/moves the torque hit.
I tuned my IDS race core to be the same as a GSXR1000 pipe and it had 10 discs. With 8 it was the same as the GSXR600 pipe.
My Nordwest was a bit more highly strung and worked best with 12 discs.

All were too noisy. Especially on the overrun...

Been looking for years but haven't been able to find a quiet core to transplant in.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #56369
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
What's the consensus at this point re: upgrading Petcock? I got by with the IMS one longer than most, but its overdue for the trashbin.
Which one is best to replace?
What fails on them?

Mine is at about 96,000km now.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #56370
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead
Those are the dreaded plastic quick disconnects that have been haunting BMW owners for years. The concept is good but ethanol seems to eat them, causing leaks. If you are going to do this, get metal bodied disconnects. BeemerBoneyard has them at a reasonable price (cheaper than the plastic ones in your link, IIRC).
Interesting. The disconnect came with the Transalp and the only thing I did was to replace the o-ring (it looked like the p.o. installed it without lube and it was a bit ragged). Motion-Pro sent two new o-rings for free. It never leaked. But, if the metal ones are cheaper and less prone to leaks........ Thanks.

EDIT: After checking, the chromed brass units are twice the price compared to the 5/16" single shut-off (dry break) quick disconnect units. I do see that the brass ones use Viton o-rings as opposed to the Buna-N o-rings in the Motion-Pro units. I may stick with what had been working for me. YMMV. But, I appreciate the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
you have to drill the hole a little bit on the IMS tank w/ the yamaha petcock but that would be a good choice. the pingle is a no drill option.
i've had no issues w/ the IMS one. the stock one will still work just ground a little bit of the motor fin where i just touches.
Thanks for the tip on the fuel tube hole in the IMS. The current petcock, in the IMS tank is the IMS unit and it's still working as it should. I just like having a spare so I don't have to scramble of one decides to crap out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
What fails on them?

Mine is at about 96,000km now.
I've seen where the vacuum diaphragm starts to leak so the valve won't open (no gas to the carb) and I've also seen where the internal rubber stops sealing and the petcock itself starts to leak fuel. I'm just a fan of simplicity and would prefer to do away with the vacuum portion altogether. The Raptor petcock may still develop leaks, in the future, but at least there are rebuild kits available for it.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 02:29 PM