User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #56356
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Superficial or Sinister

I'm in Guatemala and prepping for the last push to Panama before the Stahlratte departs. As I was washing/inspecting my bike, I noticed this on the shifter side of the engine case.

Prior to today, I did not notice any such cracking so it could be new, but not necessarily so. Is this a game ender? Should I start looking for a new lower end or is this just some normal shit that happens in high heat/stress areas on the DR?
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #56357
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyWV View Post
I'm in Guatemala and prepping for the last push to Panama before the Stahlratte departs. As I was washing/inspecting my bike, I noticed this on the shifter side of the engine case.

Prior to today, I did not notice any such cracking so it could be new, but not necessarily so. Is this a game ender? Should I start looking for a new lower end or is this just some normal shit that happens in high heat/stress areas on the DR?
Mine has the same thing in the same place and has always been there. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Under construction

Al Tuna screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 04:44 PM
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #56358
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Mine has the same thing in the same place and has always been there. I think it's normal an nothing to worry about.
Mine has them too.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #56359
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,751
Yep, normal as far as I can tell.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #56360
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyWV View Post

Just casting marks. Nothing to worry about.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #56361
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
if they were cracks they would be oily as hell , use baby powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Just casting marks. Nothing to worry about.
"

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #56362
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thanks everyone. Huge load off my mind. Much appreciated.
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #56363
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Question

Hey guys I am getting the seat concepts kit in the mail tomorrow. i was taking the stock seat apart for the seatpan and noticed its not exactly rocket science.

is any adhesive needed for install?

will a cheap old T-50 stapler work?

if not what kind of stapler is needed?

I thought maybe if its not too much trouble i would try it myself. otherwise ill take it to an upholsterer. I dont have access to compressed air. what do you think?
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #56364
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
No adhesive is required. A hand stapler will work although I am not sure about the T-50, but you can test it to see if it will put a 1/4" staple through the pan. An air stapler is nice, but not a prerequisite. I bought a new Stanley stapler for the job because I was having a hard time getting staples on short notice for my air stapler. I haven't missed it.
i just did the seat on the XRR and the T50 gotter done you will have to push hard , not all will go in but hang in there

Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #56365
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 190
Seat Concepts Stapling

You might try to get stainless steel staples. Might minimize rust issues and restapling down the road.
biosci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #56366
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
You might try to get stainless steel staples. Might minimize rust issues and restapling down the road.
now that i think about it i used contact cement also to hold in place better while stapled it down

Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #56367
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Seat Concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
Hey guys I am getting the seat concepts kit in the mail tomorrow. i was taking the stock seat apart for the seatpan and noticed its not exactly rocket science.

is any adhesive needed for install?

will a cheap old T-50 stapler work?

if not what kind of stapler is needed?

I thought maybe if its not too much trouble i would try it myself. otherwise ill take it to an upholsterer. I dont have access to compressed air. what do you think?
The instructions will tell you to use some adhesive. I did. Regarding rusty staples, I had a seat for many, many years with rusty staples. I just dobbed then with WD40 once in a while to keep them from rusting away. No problem.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #56368
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I think you're going to like the Seat Concepts seat. I'm 10,000 kms into a South American jaunt on mine and no complaints at all.

Cost me $25 at the local upholsterer to have it tacked on but to do it again I'd spend that money on a staple gun that will do the trick and then I'd have one more thing in my toolbox that I'll likely never use again. The T-50 I didn't have much luck with. Some held, some didn't. Might just be my old staple gun though.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #56369
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
I think you're going to like the Seat Concepts seat. I'm 10,000 kms into a South American jaunt on mine and no complaints at all.

Cost me $25 at the local upholsterer to have it tacked on but to do it again I'd spend that money on a staple gun that will do the trick and then I'd have one more thing in my toolbox that I'll likely never use again. The T-50 I didn't have much luck with. Some held, some didn't. Might just be my old staple gun though.
I have a pretty old T50 and have used it many times while trying to figure out my seat, the trick is to hold the seat with your knees and push the stapler to the point where you are bending the seat pan before you tack it in. My solution... a Russell Day Long with an Air Hawk underneath, with minimal staples up front to allow the air hawk to expand properly.. go all day and then when you can't take any more give it some more air and go all night.
My Sargent was a step down from stock as far as I'm concerned but my current setup is pure comfort.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #56370
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,686
Hello folks. I made a run up to Ohio yesterday and bought myself a pretty blue '08. I don't think I can make myself tolerate that heavy stock pipe so I'm in the market. I've been happy with a Q4 on the WR and wonder about that vs the GSXR set up, which sounds wonderful but is a bit of trouble. Or what about that less expensive DG pipe with the Khromewerks baffle I read about on DR Riders? If any of you have hashed out the current pipe options I'd sure like to hear what you think. Seems like there's a bunch more choices now than there was back when I outfitted my first DR. Doug is still happily riding that '05 by the way, 41,xxx miles or so on it, he wouldn't let me have it back. Some husband. Thanks everybody!

Sarah