Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #56491
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Bike onto Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I'm with Shu on the good and bad...

I'll give you my secret technique for lifting onto the center stand.

1. Stand on the left side of the bike
2. put center stand down with your right foot and hold it down. I just step on the pad part.
3. Holding the left handlebar with left hand and grabbing the square frame below the seat, rear of the petcock. Grab frame with knuckles out and forward...your thumb should be down.
4. Pull backwards (Grunting loudly helps). If you are holding the center stand firmly with your foot you shouldn't have to lift...the rearward movement will pivit the bike up onto the stand.
5. Enjoy your work! Drink a beer
Post 34019 on page 2268

Yes, I also have the center stand from Procycle (been on for several years). Love it too for chain maintenance and flats, but the tire is just skimming the ground. Have found a small rock, stick or scrap of 2"x4" under each foot will raise the tire off the ground. Sometimes, the saddle bags need removed and hung on the handle bars to get the front tire down and the rear tire up.

Putting the loaded bike on the center stand:

1. Stand on the left side of the bike
2. Put center stand down with your right foot and hold it down. I just step on the pad part.
3. Grab tank at front edge with left hand, palm down
4. Grab passenger hand grip with right hand
5. Pull the bike backwards with left hand and lift with right hand at same time
6 Grunt and maybe push back on saddle bag with right knee.
7. Continue about your business

This procedure has developed by trial and error.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #56492
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
Speaking of the Procycle stator, anybody using it? Any issues? I could use the extra 50 watts as well. Need a higher capacity rectifier to go with it?
Mine should arrive any day. I'll let you know.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #56493
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Bog off idle

When I installed my dj kit from keintech along with the gsxr muffler mod and airbox cut, I had a just off idle bog if I whacked the throttle quickly. I cured it by dropping the needle from the 4th slot from the top (the recommended slot) to the 3rd slot from the top. Off idle bog is gone and bike runs WAY better than stock.

Chris in Topeka
cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #56494
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
D606s for the DR650 are $87 rear, $84 front, with free shipping from Motorcycle Superstore:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...res-Tires.aspx
$81/$83 here (these places affiliated); free shipping on orders over $99, which would mean you need to order both tires. (which you would need to do at the m/c superstore,as their free shipping is for orders >$89.):
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...&sizeAttr=1491

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDet...dFamilyId=4399

save $7 - yahoo!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #56495
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemory View Post
When I installed my dj kit from keintech along with the gsxr muffler mod and airbox cut, I had a just off idle bog if I whacked the throttle quickly. I cured it by dropping the needle from the 4th slot from the top (the recommended slot) to the 3rd slot from the top. Off idle bog is gone and bike runs WAY better than stock.
Hello Chris,

As I'm sure you are aware, needle clip position is responsible for operation at 1/4 throttle opening. Pilot jet size is responsible for 1/16 to 1/8 throttle openings.

I would consider 1/16 to 1/8 throttle opening to be off idle, whereas I would consider 1/4 throttle opening to be too far away from idle to be considered off idle.

I guess there are a few possibilities:

Perhaps you consider 1/4 throttle opening to be off idle.

Perhaps the problem spanned all the way from 1/16 to 1/4 opening, and the overlap between circuits was enough to cure 1/16 to 1/8 while having the greatest effect on 1/4 opening.

Perhaps the problem was in the 1/16 to 1/8 area and lowering the needle helped because the overlap between circuits had enough of an effect.

If the last possibility fits most accurately, then perhaps it might be better to consider a smaller pilot jet instead of lowering the needle.

All of that said, it's quite rare for a late model bike to come with a pilot jet that is too rich. I would therefore check the float height as well as inspect the slide guide and emulsion tube for wear.

How many miles are on the carb?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #56496
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Same issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Hey dudes, my DR650 now has about 12,000 miles on it and recently it smokes on start up. After sitting for a day, about 2-3 seconds after firing it up, it smokes, oil burning in the exhaust. After a few minutes of riding around it goes away. Its not consuming lots of oil overall. I searched the boards for some answers, my thought is oil pooling around the valve guide seals getting burned, so likely the seals are getting worn?

How big an effort to replace valve guide seals? Other thoughts? Thanks!

Same thing,6000 miles Is this a common issue with this motor?? I'd like to not worry about it! thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #56497
Bobthebiker
not normal

Oddometer: 493
just picked one of these up today for $700. needs a killswitch, and some small stuff, but not in terrible shape. I'Z BACK!

error 404: common sense not found.
Bobthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #56498
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Same thing,6000 miles Is this a common issue with this motor?? I'd like to not worry about it! thanks
Mine, now at about 34,000 kms, occasionally blows a puff of oil on cold starts. Has done since I got it, and no measureable consumption between oil changes @ 3-4,000 kms. No consistency when it does it, may be related to where the piston stops, dunno.

Steve
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #56499
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Eek Oil filter inspection

Hey guys, I just posted a new thread describing how to inspect your oil filter for signs if abnormal wear. I did it showing a dr650 oil filter, and it's simple to do. I was going to post the info in this thread but didn't want to add it to an already overwhelmed thread. Check it out and let me know what you think. I think it's a pretty handy thing to do, especially on a rainy day.

Here's the link:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739876
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #56500
steve o 77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
mine has never blown smoke.

I only have 4900 miles though
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #56501
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
I have over twice that mileage, mine burns no oil, uses no oil, transmission is a joy to shift. However, my bike is ridden with care and predominantly on mountain asphalt roads, with no "off road" usage or overly hot running, so we may be comparing apples and oranges.

Lex
Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #56502
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
New owner needs some advice

I have picked up a 2009 DR650 with around 6000 miles that's currently not running and need some advice. The battery was weak so I put it on a charger first thing and it seemed to charge up and cranks pretty strong. The gas looked and smelled old so I drained it and put in fresh with some Seafoam. When trying to start it will fire for maybe ten seconds with full choke and then die. Wait a few seconds and try again and same result. Any throttle kills it immediately. Moving the choke kills it. Any choke position but full it won't do anything. Good flow from petcock and I've opened the carb drain and got good flow there. Owner says he had service done at dealer less than 100 miles ago and road it home and ran fine. Been sitting for a month or so since. Air filter looks clean and removing it has no effect. Plugs look good. It wants to run but just can't get going. It has a Safari tank on it and the gas could have been year old given the size of the tank and the miles on it.It's not been ridden much. Thoughts??

John
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #56503
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
31,000 miles no oil burning isssues

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #56504
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Try replacing the pilot jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I have picked up a 2009 DR650 with around 6000 miles that's currently not running and need some advice. The battery was weak so I put it on a charger first thing and it seemed to charge up and cranks pretty strong. The gas looked and smelled old so I drained it and put in fresh with some Seafoam. When trying to start it will fire for maybe ten seconds with full choke and then die. Wait a few seconds and try again and same result. Any throttle kills it immediately. Moving the choke kills it. Any choke position but full it won't do anything. Good flow from petcock and I've opened the carb drain and got good flow there. Owner says he had service done at dealer less than 100 miles ago and road it home and ran fine. Been sitting for a month or so since. Air filter looks clean and removing it has no effect. Plugs look good. It wants to run but just can't get going. It has a Safari tank on it and the gas could have been year old given the size of the tank and the miles on it.It's not been ridden much. Thoughts??

John
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #56505
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1
Just did not want you to have the problem I had.
Thanks, I appreciate the head's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1
My next PC order I am going to pull the trigger on the shop repair manual it would be nice to have it next to the bike.
I've dedicated an old IBM ThinkPad to garage duty. It has three shop manuals, in PDF, on it. It's pretty handy to have that close by while working on the bikes. However, some times it's beneficial to have a printed copy handy as well.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote