Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #56536
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
(snipped the other stuff -)

If it wasn't for the fact that I know this bikes owner and it is having this problem I'd chalk all this up to internet hype and hysteria. Shoot in one of the DR carb threads I've read in the last two days there was a guy who disassembled and cleaned the inside of his after each long ride!! WTF! Who needs that? Was considering buying this bike but I think I'll get it running and scurry it right back to where I got it.

I have a set of welding tip wires and I'll try them gently this weekend and hope the earth doesn't stop spinning.

John
This blasted thread has gotten too big for me to keep up with every new tangent so I don't know the background to your question or the responses, but don't give up on the bike. Whatever the glitch, when you work it out the bike will bring you a lot of enjoyment and it's a rock solid reliable piece of machinery.

As an FYI, I rode mine across country to the CDT and back last year. I had some rich-stumble issues at the high elevations but otherwise the performance of the bike was flawless. I don't present myself as one of the resident DR x-spurts but I know enough that I can tell you much of what you read here in terms of DR complaints is the lunatic fringe of mechanical paranoia.

My DR is the bike I typically roll out first for a quick mental health ride around town or over to the national forest. It sits most of the time except for two or three half-days a month. It has never failed to start.

(Before I started running Ethanol free gas) the Gold Wing has sat, at least once, for six months without being started and it cranked on the third try. Then I topped off the fuel tank and hit the road and refueled again at a half tank. The engine smoothed out as soon as fresh fuel was running through the system. Since I don't ride it as much I do keep Stabil in it as a matter of routine.

Somewhere under the mountains of hype and hysteria around here their is a grain of truth about mechanical chores and engine state of tune. Finding the grain takes patience...

Finally, a bit of mathematical insight for your personal edification:

x = an unknown quantity
spurt = a little drip under pressure

expert = an unknown drip under pressure...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #56537
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
Fork Seal Question

I bought my DR a few months ago and when I got it, there were no fork boots on it.
Really it didn't bother me much since I was getting the forks and shock re-sprung and re-valved anyway.
So now I have been running the RSW Racing fork brace and I'm not able to use new fork boots.
I bought the fork skins from Moose, but there is only about 1/2" of the fork to zip tie them to....any ideas?

BTW, i already had to replace the fork seals and dust caps from a ride I did in mud, they got pretty beat up and were leaking like hell.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #56538
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey, what are some of the other speedo/instrument cluster options out there besides the TrailTech Vapor? I've gone through three speed sensors on my Vapor in a year, and the sensorts themselves only have a 90-day warranty (gee I wonder why). I'm about ready to ditch the thing and go with another solution. I know others have been posted here, but who knows where in 56,000 posts.

Thanks. :)

Rob

PS: Shameless plug: I have a Superbrace fork brace for the DR650 in the Flea Market right now.
I've had problems with mine as well. At first I thought it was the sending unit/speed sensor, but not that. Bought a new Vapor. Still didn't work. Changed the freaking magnet and, viola! However, now when it gets cold (like on the ride in this morning 28 F at home and 33 down here in Denver) it doesn't work. Bet dollars to donuts it works fine going home....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #56539
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Cleaning pilot jets is now an "issue"? Really? You guys should spend some time in the vintage 2 stroke universe. Cleaning pilot jets is something you learn to do in your sleep. Between the modern fuels, old tanks with crud in them and long layups where you don't ride much you'd go broke if all you ever did was replace them. They clog often and it's not because they're "old".
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #56540
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Great info Thump. I like the site too. Thanks Much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
When I did my base gasket, the bike was still pretty low mileage (about 10,000 Kms / 6,000 miles, I think). I cleaned everything up nicely, measured the cylinder and piston. Everything was still well within spec, so I just ordered new rings. I had been considering the hi-comp piston kits but it was hard to justify the unnecessary cost (plus, the subquent need for high octane gas). I posted some photos and notes here:

http://www.fy-yff.com/2010/01/winter...e-project.html

http://www.fy-yff.com/2010/02/winter-maintenance-project-and-upgrades.html

http://www.fy-yff.com/2010/02/time-f...-assembly.html
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #56541
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Cleaning pilot jets is now an "issue"? Really?
+++
If cleaning a pilot jet is such a chore, or you are so unsure of yourself that you are worried you will damage it or leave it only half clean, then carb work is probably not for you.
Heck, half of the pilot jets out there would probably be improved with a scratch or two and increased flow (that's a joke -- don't get excited)

Would I replace one? Sure if I have one handy. But lets get real, cleaning one is not rocket science.

I know, I should have let it lie, but I like beating a dead horse as much as the next person

Rumlover screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 07:35 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #56542
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
+++
cleaning a pilot jet

I know, I should have let it lie

That's not the way things are done here.

I believe it's been sufficiently addressed now.

but as to the o-rings in the float bowl, I had the ethanol attack them and it was allowing my carb to flood if it sat for even a few minutes. I got in the habit of turning off the fuel at brief rest stops during rides, so the bike would start. Th only way to start the thing if I forgot, was to shut off the fuel (I have the Raptor petcock) and lay the bike on the ground to drain the carb a but. I figured it was the needle and seat like it used to be in the old days but there are 2 small o-rings on the float mechanism that are the culprits. Put them in and problem went away.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #56543
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

That's not the way things are done here.

I believe it's been sufficiently addressed now.

but as to the o-rings in the float bowl, I had the ethanol attack them and it was allowing my carb to flood if it sat for even a few minutes. I got in the habit of turning off the fuel at brief rest stops during rides, so the bike would start. Th only way to start the thing if I forgot, was to shut off the fuel (I have the Raptor petcock) and lay the bike on the ground to drain the carb a but. I figured it was the needle and seat like it used to be in the old days but there are 2 small o-rings on the float mechanism that are the culprits. Put them in and problem went away.

I have also got in the habit of adding stabil to my fuel all the time (when practical), just because I end up not riding for a couple of weeks sometimes and I don't want any issues (been there done that).
I will be getting a new petcock shortly so I can turn it off every time and run it dry.
Ethanol fuel + time = problems
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #56544
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Dr does maroc

You can follow little donkey here http://www.adventurebikerider.com/fo...oes-maroc.html

Phil
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #56545
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Please don't "wish" for FI. The Internet is already to full of people trying to find different mapping for their FI bikes to make them run right.
FI is great. The existing maps may not be perfect, but unlike a carbureted bike, with FI at least the possibility exists to make the mixture correct at every intersection of throttle position and rpm. Because of the high resolution, it's potentially a lot of work, but you don't have to worry about overlap between circuits, gasoline spills or multiple disasemblies/reassemblies.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #56546
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I've had problems with mine as well. At first I thought it was the sending unit/speed sensor, but not that. Bought a new Vapor. Still didn't work. Changed the freaking magnet and, viola! However, now when it gets cold (like on the ride in this morning 28 F at home and 33 down here in Denver) it doesn't work. Bet dollars to donuts it works fine going home....
When mine acts up, the temperature has been varied quite a bit. The last one quit entirely back in May of this year. I replaced it just before my Death Valley ride. And now that one has started acting up, but hasn't quit yet.

Trailtech wants me to send the Vapor and sensor to them to test... 'course that leaves me without a speedo or odometer, rendering the bike unrideable (since I need the odometer to track fuel usage). My GPS would provide speed. So I dunno what to do. If I can find where to get one of those cheap sensors to put at the wheel, I'll get one and do my own testing first.

Oh and as for the EXT9 battery, I contacted the vendor and they want me to do some tests on it, then take it to an auto parts store for a load test, and then if all that fails, return it and they said they'd replace it. So we'll see.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #56547
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
...Was considering buying this bike but I think I'll get it running and scurry it right back to where I got it....
meh, dont worry about it John. i bought mine in May with 3500mi and it's at 11000mi today, haven't had a problem with the pilot jet, and yeah i did clean it many miles ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
...You guys should spend some time in the vintage 2 stroke universe.....
aint that the truth! probably 25% of this thread is this same old nonsense.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #56548
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
However, I'm unsure just where this pilot jet resides, and how to get it out. ronayers.com shows a pilot jet in the fiche, but not where it fits into the carb. I looked at "The BST-40 Bible" and there's no mention of a pilot jet; there is mention of an idle jet.
Have a look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=10680148. If you search for the term "pilot jet" within the results using your browser's "find" function, you will notice that the term actually appears in the BST40 bible thread a number of times.
Quote:
To get out in front of an answer, I'm guessing the idle jet in the Bible is what we call the pilot jet, and the float needs to be removed to access it from the interior underside of the carb body. Correct?
Yes. The float cage will need to be removed. Looking at the underside of the carb, the pilot jet can then be found in a well downstream and to the left of the main jet.
Quote:
And so, what does the F/A screw, screw into if not a jet? Just a conical area in the carb body? A conical brass fitting in the carb body?
The idle mixture screw, aka pilot screw (which is in this case a fuel screw) screws into a well on the downstream underside of the carb body. The tip protrudes into a tapered bore, which exits in the throat of the carb just downstream of the edge of the butterfly. As delivered, the fuel screw well has a metal plug installed in order to prevent "tampering" (at least in the US).

Regards,

Derek
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #56549
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
N151.067 are the correct ones.

Regards,

Derek
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #56550
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Talking

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...catid=2&iid=26

A little dose of this stuff on a regular basis does wonders for carbies and today's wonder fuels Or witches brews is more like it.

The DR has gotten ridden regular since I got it in July, no issues with the carbie, the BSA's with dual Amal carbies have gotten a dose of the Lucas fuel conditioner for years with no pilot jet issues after sitting.

And if you think DR's have woes with pilot jets, anything with an Amal is far touchier..... Unless you treat your fuel