Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #57481
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
After removing the cap from the other plug...
True story.

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #57482
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I had a flat on the road and my tire pump was one of those hoses: 'Screw one end on the valve stem and the other end in the plug hole. Kick over until the tire is inflated.' Imagine my surprise when the bike started. Filled that tire right up........................ kinda cooked the tire pump hose though.
Wish I coulda seen the look on your face when the motor fired! I thought of doing the same thing, then thought again, and bought a small 12VDC pump.

Lex
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #57483
chile biker
n00b

Oddometer: 7
@ Porrick

Quote:
Has the ignition switch been moved/modified?

when I got the bike, the screw for the ignition switch was missing, I replaced it ... thank you good idea, I will look at it again ....

@ Garak

Quote:
Have you taken the plugs out and looked at them? It's certainly possible that both are fouled if you've got electrical continuity all the way to the plugs, and its not firing. If you haven't taken them out, its worth doing so, cleaning them up as best you can and trying that.

Its probably a terrible idea, but if you have one of the plugs out, connected to the wire and hold it with something well insulated, you may be able to see if there is spark when you turn the engine over.
Yes, I have done this. Hope new plugs will arrive today in the afternoon.

@ NordieBoy

Quote:
After removing the cap from the other plug...
No, I did take the other plug off .. will try this as well.

Thank you guys, I will check this things out now ... and tell you more in the afternoon

CHILE BIKER
chile biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #57484
chile biker
n00b

Question still no spark

Hola todos,

I still dont have a spark.

cleaned the killswitch. I put new spark plugs in. cleaned all connectors ...

when I checked the ignition, I did not have connection between the orange/yellow and the black/white cables when in position ON. I made an external connection ... but still no spark.

what about the pick up? how to check this? any other ideas?

saludos
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #57485
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
If you are talking about the hose that has the yellow circle drawn around it I'm pretty sure that is the drain for the float bowl.

There should be a screw that you need to close (tighten) and that should fix your problem.

Jon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Took the DR for a ride today with the new TM-40 carb. When I first starting the bike, i let it run for a few mins with the choke on, and when I shut it off, the bike died, Just figured it still cold, so I started again, and just rode with choke off, throttle up. it was all street riding, mostly on the highway, only about 20 miles, and died at one light when I bleeped the throttle. I got home and it felt like the idle was a bit low, so i turned the knob in a little bit it while sitting on the bike. I smelled gas, but thought nothing of it. Got off the bike while it was running, and saw fuel spilling out of the vent hose. I followed the vent hose up, and it was the one under the Idle adjustment (see pic). What is this from? When I shut the petcock off, the fuel stops flowing from the vent hose.

I would like some advice before I start pulling the carb apart, Thanks guys..
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #57486
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by chile biker View Post
@ Porrick

when I got the bike, the screw for the ignition switch was missing, I replaced it ... thank you good idea, I will look at it again ....

@ Garak

Yes, I have done this. Hope new plugs will arrive today in the afternoon.

@ NordieBoy

No, I did take the other plug off .. will try this as well.

Thank you guys, I will check this things out now ... and tell you more in the afternoon

CHILE BIKER

I would also ask if the kill switch has been modified in any way. Don't think it would turn over if the kill was on but who knows what could happen. Sorry your having trouble. You know if you take it to a shop they will most likely find it in 10 minutes and cost you $50. Last resort I would say. Finding it yourself will familiarize you with the bike. Always a good thing.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #57487
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 100
Yes, this. And the question I asked about the ignition switch -- check and make sure that capacitor is still connected within the switch. The bike won't fire if the capacitor is not in line and working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
I would also ask if the kill switch has been modified in any way. Don't think it would turn over if the kill was on but who knows what could happen. Sorry your having trouble. You know if you take it to a shop they will most likely find it in 10 minutes and cost you $50. Last resort I would say. Finding it yourself will familiarize you with the bike. Always a good thing.
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #57488
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrick View Post
Yes, this. And the question I asked about the ignition switch -- check and make sure that capacitor 100 ohm resistor is still connected within the switch. The bike won't fire if the capacitor 100 ohm resistor is not in line and working.
Fixt.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...866&highlight=

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 10:10 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #57489
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Hola todos,

I still dont have a spark.

cleaned the killswitch. I put new spark plugs in. cleaned all connectors ...

when I checked the ignition, I did not have connection between the orange/yellow and the black/white cables when in position ON. I made an external connection ... but still no spark.

what about the pick up? how to check this? any other ideas?

saludos
There are 3 fuses in the wiring harness. One in the starter relay and 2 in a fuse box. I'm not trying to insult anyone's thinking process, but they haven't been mentioned so far. On my wiring diagram, there is also an alternate fuse box showing 4 fuses. This isn't on U.S. bikes, but I don't know about the bike you are working on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #57490
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Hola guys,

after reading here for quite some time, I have my first question to you guys.

I bought an 2005 DR 650 SE in very bad condition and now I am trying to get it running before I do more repairs and upgrades.

OK. I have no spark.

The CDI (nearly new) and the coil are working. Sidestandswitch and clutchswitch are out and the wires are conected. The starter motor turns the engine, the valves are adjusted to specs, the alternator has resistences between the yellow cables of 1,1 Ohm, I guess that means the alternator is ok. The battery is newly charged.

The spark plugs are still the old ones, as I dont have new now, but hopefully tomorrow afternoon. But both spark plugs faulty?

Where else would you start looking for the problem?

Greetings from Chile
It's likely you have screwed up the wiring in attempting to eliminate the side stand switch and/or clutch safety switch.

If the bike is a theft recovery ... or stolen, and the ignition has been tampered with, then that could also be the problem. There is a resistor behind the ignition to ruin the efforts of scumbag thieves.

If you want the bike repaired ... why not take it to a Suzuki dealer? I'm sure they will have it running in under an hour.

But of course they will run the VIN number through Police data base ....
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #57491
chile biker
n00b

still no spark

Hola todos,

still no spark and will have to charge the battery again ...

how do I check the pick up? and how do I know if the stator is ok?

anything else I could try ?

@Adv Grifter

No, the clutch and sidestand switches removal was done by somebody else ... but I have the problem now.

The next Suzuki dealer is more than 1000kms away ... and I dont have a car.

The bike has not been stolen, but it looks like :-)

@Rusty Rocket

I checked the fuses, all ok. yes, it is an US model - 2005

@ER70S-2 and Porrick

I checked the ignition again, yes there is an resistor of 100 Ohm between the orange/yellow and black/white cables. So this means the ignition switch is ok and I connected everything back to original. Thank you for the information.

@asrvivor

no, the killswitch has not been modified. the next suzuki dealer is more than 1000kms away and I dont have a car.

Greetings from Chile
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #57492
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Hola todos,
How do I check the pick up? and how do I know if the stator is ok?
At the top of this page, right above the page numbers, click 'Search this Thread'; then enter "pick-up coil".
Quote:
The next Suzuki dealer is more than 1000kms away ... and I dont have a car.
The bike has not been stolen, but it looks like :-)
Well that sucks.
Quote:
@ER70S-2 and Porrick
I checked the ignition again, yes there is an resistor of 100 Ohm between the orange/yellow and black/white cables. So this means the ignition switch is ok and I connected everything back to original. Thank you for the information.

Greetings from Chile

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #57493
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 100
Thanks for the fix. I must be losing it -- I just soldered a resistor into my new ignition harness last night when I replaced the big, clunky DR key switch/lock combo with a small ATV one (to be mounted under HDB top plate ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #57494
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 212
Mind if I sit in?

Evening all,
I thought I would sign in and say hello. Just bought a Dr650 +1/2. Plan to do most of the cheaper upgrades, especially around the suspension of course. I also hope to convert it over to black cause once you go... oh nevermind, I just like them better. The rider is a 99 and the +1/2 is a 97 that the guy bought for parts just to fix the eploding gear issue. No title, dirt life. I'll use the hubs to make a set of street 17" tires and some of the rest as spares. Just getting started on this. I am working on getting the black tank and side panels already. Anyone have some fenders and a light cover? I have time, so I'll keep looking around.
Attached Images

Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #57495
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
Evening all,
I thought I would sign in and say hello. Just bought a Dr650 +1/2. Plan to do most of the cheaper upgrades, especially around the suspension of course. I also hope to convert it over to black cause once you go... oh nevermind, I just like them better. The rider is a 99 and the +1/2 is a 97 that the guy bought for parts just to fix the eploding gear issue. No title, dirt life. I'll use the hubs to make a set of street 17" tires and some of the rest as spares. Just getting started on this. I am working on getting the black tank and side panels already. Anyone have some fenders and a light cover? I have time, so I'll keep looking around.
Man you are going to love it. And welcome, once my DR gives out I'm buying another and I'll keep mine for parts. Wish I could find a wrecked one now. They just don't break if taken care of.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote