Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #57571
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhammer View Post
your going to make a mow=can-eck yet
Yeah man! I'm starting to get REALLY acquainted with this bike! Not to mention my other projects....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Contrary to our wives (or ex-wives), we aren't stupid. We're guys; we're genetically programed to screw-up, but it's because we're always trying something new or different. And we always learn something from it, fix it and try again. It's how we got men on the moon and robots on Mars.
Agreed. It's definitely part of being a man. Let the stupidity continue!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #57572
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Yeah man! I'm starting to get REALLY acquainted with this bike! Not to mention my other projects....

Thats why i name my company manracks, because averything is manly
Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #57573
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Yeah, I get all that - spent most of my adult life designing and building machinery. I guess the gist of the question was whether adjusting to manual spec would typically leave a bit of free play when the three pivot points are in line. In my experience it does, just wondering if others have had problems adjusting to spec, specifically on a DR650.
Yes, on my 650.

Any time I changed the front sprocket for different riding conditions, I wondered why the front sprocket was worn on the outside and the rear sprocket on the inside. I'd check the adjusters and they were even, so I'd done my part and I'd dismiss the sprocket wear; I did this for many thousands of miles. Then I got a new sprocket that came with a circlip. Although I didn't like the loose sprocket concept, it finally turned on a light and I tried the circlip. Sure enough, the sprocket ran closer to the engine than the stock retainer allowed. Ah Ha. So I adjusted the right snail one click shorter (not a whole number) and took a ride, not far enough, so another click shorter. Two clicks aren't quite enough, but much closer than before.

So, I trusted the manual, which seemed prudent; but I turned off my common sense when I did.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #57574
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:

if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #57575
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Agreed. It's definitely part of being a man. Let the stupidity learning continue!
Fixt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Thats why i name my company manracks, because everything is manly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I posted that quite a while back. Glad someone used it. Did you oil the foam? I do. RR
Hi Rusty, glad you spoke up. I don't like plagiarizing others' good ideas. Yes, I do oil it. I use the same 10w40 the manual tells me to use on the main filter, since I already have it.

I got a little behind on my maintenance, pic taken earlier today. You can tell I used plenty of oil, even the outside was collecting dust. Real glad it wasn't just the itty bitty and dry stocker. Eeeewww There was no dust above the slide so it did it's job very well, even when neglected. Thank you very much.

Watch out for this bugger, it's a springy plastic and 10 seconds after this pic was taken, I heard it bounce twice and disappear.

For a visual, and other readers, the stock one is kept too:

After a good cleaning, we end up with

If you lose the plastic ring, look here first. Of course it's easy to see, I lit it up for the photo.
After removing the air box and crawling over both sides of the bike for an hour........

Quote:
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #57576
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for that update. This is timely for me.
When you replaced the Bearing ... did you do replace anything else? Was it only the left side hubb bearing or all rear wheel bearings on both sides?
Did you replace any other parts ... like the sprockets/chain? Or just the bearing(s)?

Glad to hear things have smoothed out ... I'm thinking of doing the same job soon. How hard was it to get the hubb bearings out and new ones in?

Cheers
I replaced the seal on the sprocket carrier and the cush drive rubbers, but nothing else. The wheel bearings still seem smooth and tight, the rear sprocket and chain look okay, and I only have about 500 miles on the new 14t front sprocket. To get the bearing out I pried the seal off with a screwdriver, then laid the sprocket on some pieces of 2x4 and hit the bearing out with a hammer and brass punch. To put the new one in I used the old bearing to drive the new one in, and then was able to drive the old one out with the brass punch. Then just pushed the new seal in and used a small piece of wood to tap it in. Oh, and cleaned and greased everything while it was apart. It wasn't too much work except for getting the wheel assembly back in the swingarm. I guess the new rubbers made it a decent amount wider. I'm assuming they'll be compressed by the time I have the wheel off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
How do you assess those bearing? Just stick your finger in there and see how they feel when you have the wheel off? That's all I've been doing. 32,000 miles on the bike now.
I was able to wobble the sprocket side to side quite a bit, which I knew a bearing shouldn't do. When I took it apart I held the sprocket firmly and wiggled the inner race of the bearing. It's not supposed to move, but mine did. It should also spin smoothly, and not feel like it has sand in it and look like someone smeared rusty sewage in it.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #57577
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
I've been chasing a driveline vibration and after the new chain (DID 525 VM-X) and sprockets, I just replaced the 3 bearings in my rear hub. If you can run a hammer and punch, you're in. The two wheel bearings tap out from the opposite side like any other wheel bearing.

There is one seal in the cush hub and one in the wheel (right side). There's also a spacer in the cush hub, don't forget it. It's hard to miss, about 1-14" dia and 1-1/4" long.

But I wanted to remove my cush hub for a possible re-use (emergency spare maybe). So I made a puller, nothing but threaded rod, a socket, some washers, 3 nuts and a used piece of exhaust tubing large enough for the bearing to slide into; 2-1/4" I.D. This pulled the cush hub bearing easily.

Clever! Thanks for sharing.

Lex
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #57578
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 12-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #57579
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Did my NSU - glad I did

Howdy all,

Kept putting off the NSU task because I wasn't sure that I would do it properly.....

So today, with 30,700klms on the clock, I decided it was time and I found that the screws were less than finger tight.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Tony
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #57580
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rider View Post
Howdy all,

Kept putting off the NSU task because I wasn't sure that I would do it properly.....

So today, with 30,700klms on the clock, I decided it was time and I found that the screws were less than finger tight.

Tony
So my DR now has about 86 miles on it. I just ordered the 14T front sprocket from Procycle, and while I was at it I added a clutch cover gasket to the shopping cart. I plan to get this done along with the break-in / 600 mile oil change.
States left to ride: MI, WI, MN, ND, ID, NV, OR, WA, AK and HI. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #57581
planemanx15
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
It wasn't too much work except for getting the wheel assembly back in the swingarm. I guess the new rubbers made it a decent amount wider. I'm assuming they'll be compressed by the time I have the wheel off again.
I had the same problem getting my rear wheel back on after changing the Cush rubbers. Tool about 45 minutes and that spacer on the brake side kept popping out. I ended up using a pry bar to pull the swing arm out a little bit in order to get everything to fit.
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #57582
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I had the same problem getting my rear wheel back on after changing the Cush rubbers. Tool about 45 minutes and that spacer on the brake side kept popping out. I ended up using a pry bar to pull the swing arm out a little bit in order to get everything to fit.

Ditto, new cush rubbers made it tuff to get the wheel back on. They did wear in though and the next tire change at about 2000 miles was nice and easy.

Sydney Rider Today 02:06 AM Did my NSU - glad I did

Howdy all,

Tony

Did you happen to take any pics of that as you were doing it? Thanks

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #57583
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

NSU Info and Pics

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15

Quote:
Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #57584
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:

Perfect. Gonna get it done tonight. Thanks John

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #57585
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
I replaced the seal on the sprocket carrier and the cush drive rubbers, but nothing else. The wheel bearings still seem smooth and tight, the rear sprocket and chain look okay, and I only have about 500 miles on the new 14t front sprocket. To get the bearing out I pried the seal off with a screwdriver, then laid the sprocket on some pieces of 2x4 and hit the bearing out with a hammer and brass punch. To put the new one in I used the old bearing to drive the new one in, and then was able to drive the old one out with the brass punch. Then just pushed the new seal in and used a small piece of wood to tap it in. Oh, and cleaned and greased everything while it was apart. It wasn't too much work except for getting the wheel assembly back in the swingarm. I guess the new rubbers made it a decent amount wider. I'm assuming they'll be compressed by the time I have the wheel off again.
Thanks for the tutorial!
I've replaced my Cush rubbers twice. Both times it makes getting the Hubb and sprocket into the wheel tougher ... which makes getting wheel on harder. I used a mallet to "persuade" it in a bit so it would "seat" all the way. Over time it will resist less and seat better.

But I've found the Cush Drive rubbers seem to wear out in 15 to 20K miles.

Thanks again!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote