Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #57571
gumbometer
hairy reasoner

Oddometer: 32
Adv Grifter, thanks for the input. Do you remember if the pin that fell out of your bike looked like the one I found? I take it you didn't find where it came from, but it didn't interfere with your bike's subsequent operation?

I don't think the clutch side cover has ever been off on my bike. The PO hadn't done anything to it but change the gearing and add bark-busters. It only had 2250 miles on it. I am definitely thankful that the magnet caught this little piece before it caused a catastrophe. I encourage anyone who doesn't have a magnetic drain plug to get one.

gumbometer screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 03:49 PM
gumbometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #57572
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
That little pin......

Looking at my workshop manual it may be the gear shift pawl pin ( PIN, SHIFT POLE (5X8) 09261-05003 )..... there are also the same sort of pins in the cam driven gear ( both of these have springs behind them ). May also be .PIN, IDLE GEAR NO.2 (L:27) 09202-10006.

That ping in the cover looks like it is hollow from the parts fiche.

Sydney Rider screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 04:03 PM
Sydney Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #57573
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rider View Post
Sorry I didn't but I used http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=47274 which was excellent.

Tony
That's a pretty good link and I got the pic from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E Ahnung View Post
Adv Grifter, thanks for the input. Do you remember if the pin that fell out of your bike looked like the one I found? I take it you didn't find where it came from, but it didn't interfere with your bike's subsequent operation?

I encourage anyone who doesn't have a magnetic drain plug to get one.
mx_rob: (about interfering with operation)
"One point though on the screw just gently falling out and settling on the bottom. The hurricane turbulence of the clutch basket and gears in the oil can easily sweep the screw up into places that would be a major bummer for it/them to be."

The top left locating pin stayed in the clutch cover.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #57574
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The top left locating pin stayed in the clutch cover
So the locator pin is hollow - so I think it must be one of the others.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #57575
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Woohoo

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered, it arrived yesterday, I installed it today.

It kicks butt! Oh wait, the stock seat kicked my butt.

It's amazing that a similar sized chunk of foam can feel that much better than the stock seat. Why the heck does the bike come with such a crappy seat?

Anyways... 2 thumbs up for the Seat Concepts kit. I only rode around for an hour and a half or so but it was enough to note a lack of pain in the posterior. I look forward to an all day test soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
15% seat concepts black friday sale going on till sat:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744218
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #57576
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rider View Post
So the locator pin is hollow - so I think it must be one of the others.
Good point. I did this too long ago to remember, but I see it's hollow so can't be the pin in question. Mine fell out ... I've forgotten from where, but at the time I somehow figured out where it went and put it back. No problems.

This kind of stuff is a scary nightmare. Magnetic Drain plug a good idea ... but the last two I had were real POS and STRIPPED out easily. Real junk and almost caused a disaster. (This on my XR250 and DL1000 V-Strom)

Who makes a QUALITY MAGNETIC PLUG?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #57577
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
Loosely hitting the swing arm is what I have been shooting for and it seems to be working pretty good. Chain and sprockets seem to be holding up pretty good. In my younger days I have ruined a new chain pretty quick tightening it up to much.
That's kind of what I do, too. Then I check the top sweep of the chain against the tab on the plastic chain buffer. When the chain seems about right on the bottom, I can lift the top run just barely above the rear corner of the tab.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #57578
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

This kind of stuff is a scary nightmare. Magnetic Drain plug a good idea ... but the last two I had were real POS and STRIPPED out easily. Real junk and almost caused a disaster. (This on my XR250 and DL1000 V-Strom)

That's a good question. I ordered one and started to put it in but quickly took it back out. It is painted and after about the first 2 turns in it got *very tight*. I don't know if the theads were not right or if the paint made it so tight. Anyway, I took it back out and put my stock plug back in. I'm not going to mess around and screw up the threaded hole in the case.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #57579
gumbometer
hairy reasoner

Oddometer: 32
Thanks to everybody for the replies!

I found the service manual online and have been looking at that. Now I see what Sydney Rider was talking about (when I saw the word "cam" earlier, I was thinking "camshaft", i.e. top end). It doesn't look too complicated to check whether both pins, springs, and pawls are in place on the "cam driven gear" under the gearshift cover. I guess I'll keep reading and try to come up with a sensible plan of attack. Another opportunity to get to know the big girl better.

I'm not complaining, but it still seems to me that there should have been some kind of noticable symptom like trouble with shifting if a pin like this isn't where it's supposed to be.
gumbometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #57580
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
I purchased one from ProCycle recently intending to install it during an oil change I did a couple weeks ago, but decided not to use it because the head was much taller than the stock plug and stuck out more than I was comfortable with - didn't want to snag it on a rock. Would really like to have one if anyone knows where to get a good one.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #57581
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I'v had one of these for over 20,000km with no problems

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Mot...lugs/MP05.html

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I purchased one from ProCycle recently intending to install it during an oil change I did a couple weeks ago, but decided not to use it because the head was much taller than the stock plug and stuck out more than I was comfortable with - didn't want to snag it on a rock. Would really like to have one if anyone knows where to get a good one.
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #57582
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,143
What sump plug sticks out beyond the bash plate ?
I have had the one from Procycle for some time,one thing that was noticeable straight away was the thread clearance was much better than the stock one which was looser fitting.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #57583
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
What sump plug sticks out beyond the bash plate ?
I have had the one from Procycle for some time,one thing that was noticeable straight away was the thread clearance was much better than the stock one which was looser fitting.
Didn't say it stuck out beyond the bash plate, just that it stuck out a lot more than the stock plug. It doesn't set in very far from the bash plate and considering there is an opening in the plate there it seems much more susceptible to being struck by a rock than the stock plug. We have a lot of rocks around here.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #57584
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Drill a 4mm deep 6.5mm dia hole in the stock plug and drop in a neo-magnet.

Works for me...

NSU screw...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #57585
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Quote:
Ahoy, everyone,

Last time I changed the oil on my 2002 DR650 with ~8000 miles, I installed a magnetic oil drain plug. Today, I found a small, cylindrical steel pin stuck to the magnet. It is 8mm long, and 5mm in diameter (measuring with a ruler).

I searched around and couldn't find the photos I know I've seen of what others have found stuck to their magnetic drain plugs.
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Also, this pin isn't magnetic.
We'll need to know.

Pic courtesy of NordieBoy: Edit: Lookit there, 205'd by NordieBoy
A magnetic sump bolt found the other screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglee View Post
Help! My DR ran perfect with a Supertrapp pipe, K&N, air box side removed and Dynojet kit. Then like someone on the DR forum says, fix it until it's broke, I put a Procycle kit in it, did the CO & UT part of the TAT - it ran a little rough occasionally but overall did great - especially considering the elevation changes. I richened it back up for the low elevation here in Fayetteville, NC, HOWEVER, it was missing or hesitating at around 60 to 70 mph. But it wouldn't start until I'd run at least 15 miles and the DR was completely warmed up. I've tried changing jet sizes, needle position and the slow speed mixture position, then slowly changed everything back to the way it was before I went to the Procycle jet kit. The problem is very consistent - doesn't do it until completely warm, in the lower mid range of throttle opening, and no adjustments seem to make any difference. While it's missing/hesitating I can roll on the throttle and it accelerates perfectly. Has anyone had this particular problem??? Any ideas??? Thanks!
The DR will run under throttle when it's very rich, but will have fits at lighter throttle. Since it happens when warm, check the choke cable, they have been known to rust and stick. This is where the choke connects to to carb, make sure the plastic isn't broken.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote