Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #58711
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
There are several references in this thread about DR350 wheels. Far as I know they bolt right up. It's an 18" rear, which some prefer. Not sure if ALL DR350's are minus Cush Drive. Remember, there were 3 different DR350 models. Basically one street legal, one off road.
I've owned two DR350SEs, a '97 and a '99. Yes, there are three different models; DR350, DR350S, DR350SE. The "S" indicates "street" and the "E" indicates "electric start". The DR350S was offered from 1990-93, the DR350SE was offered from 1994-99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Pretty sure the wheels will work, (same swingarm on all 350 models) but I personally wouldn't put one on my 650 that didn't have the cush drive.
You will have to purchase a DR650 brake rotor to use any DR350 wheel.
A quick look at the on-line fiche shows a cush-drive hub on a '95 DR350SE but not on the '96 model. I also see some posts over @ TT that report cush drive rear hubs on 1990-95 DR350S/SE and non cush drive hubs on 1996-99 DR350SE. My two DR350SEs did not have cush drive rear hubs. The DR350 (non-street legal version) never had cush drive rear hubs.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #58712
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
all this suspenion talk is blowing my ming, it sounds so confusing... is there some kind of dummies guide to suspensions online?
Sure beats saddlebags and windshield chatter.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #58713
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
all this suspenion talk is blowing my ming, it sounds so confusing... is there some kind of dummies guide to suspensions online?
I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcyc.../dp/0760331405 but haven't had a chance to get thru it. Lots of tech stuff online but I still like having books.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #58714
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Talking Suspender tuning

Quote:
Here you go...
http://drriders.com/topic3218.html
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #58715
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Ned Suesse (Neduro on ADV) has an eBook that covers it all pretty well. It can be downloaded here for $14. Well worth it. BTW Ned's in the Dakar this year and knows his stuff.
Dual Sport Suspension Ebook

John
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #58716
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Transmission Question / Gears

Hey guys need a little wisdom from those with more DR experience. My buddy and I are noticing some issues with the DR popping out of 2nd gear from time to time. It happens to me mostly when farting around in the mountains but my buddy is now experiencing the problem while riding to work. Thoughts? Problem? The reason I ask one of our friends was changing his oil a couple weeks ago and found a metal shaving on his mag oil plug ... long story short it appears to be a gear issue and now a major repair is under way.

Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #58717
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Hey guys need a little wisdom from those with more DR experience. My buddy and I are noticing some issues with the DR popping out of 2nd gear from time to time. It happens to me mostly when farting around in the mountains but my buddy is now experiencing the problem while riding to work. Thoughts? Problem? The reason I ask one of our friends was changing his oil a couple weeks ago and found a metal shaving on his mag oil plug ... long story short it appears to be a gear issue and now a major repair is under way.

See if the shifter is hitting the case when you shift. May have bent it or the shift shaft. Or may just have to reposition the lever.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #58718
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanas View Post
The question is, will 15-43 require a longer than 110 link chain on the DR?
Thanks,
Thanas
Hi Thanas,
For DR650 parts in Europe try Hessler:
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sit...d=45&Itemid=75

They have a really good selection of DR parts.

The 110 chain will be fine going to a 43T rear sprocket. No problem. You could also use a 14T front sprocket ... will help to give you lower gearing.

In any case, buy NEW sprockets when you buy your NEW chain. If you do commuting and lots of kms, I recommend the 525 DID X-Ring VM-2 chain. It's very strong and worth the extra money. Will last OVER 20,000 miles
(30K kms)

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 09:55 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #58719
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
See if the shifter is hitting the case when you shift. May have bent it or the shift shaft. Or may just have to reposition the lever.
Rusty's point above is very important. This exact thing happened to a friend who thought sure the Trans was toast. I took one minute to straighten the shift lever ... problem went away! Trans was perfect!

When you fall ... lever gets pushed into case ... interfering with shifting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #58720
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
What are the equations? With a estimation of sprung weight, we could plug in the min and max of the frequency range to derive the spring rate range one should be considering.
Wheel rate in kg/mm=Wf/248.5 where W= laden sprung weight in kg and f= desired natural frequency in Hz. Spring rate in kg/mm=(0.5Cos)(wheel rate) where is the rake angle in degrees.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #58721
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Wheel rate in kg/mm=Wf/248.5 where W= laden sprung weight in kg and f= desired natural frequency in Hz. Spring rate in kg/mm=(0.5Cos)(wheel rate) where is the rake angle in degrees.

Regards,

Derek
That hurts. What is a # that would be a value for desired rate? ( what are we shootin' for?)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #58722
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
That hurts.
It's not really that hard.
Quote:
What is a # that would be a value for desired rate? ( what are we shootin' for?)
As mentioned previously (see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=58842), it's known that a resonant frequency in the range of 1-2.5 Hz is optimal. Available travel and individual preference plays into determining the exact number (less available travel requires a higher frequency).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #58723
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Bent shifter or foot brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Rusty's point above is very important. This exact thing happened to a friend who thought sure the Trans was toast. I took one minute to straighten the shift lever ... problem went away! Trans was perfect!

When you fall ... lever gets pushed into case ... interfering with shifting.
Oh yes, this does happen, especially way out in the woods. My tool kit includes a 10" adjustable wrench to gently bend those levers back to original shape. Works for me.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #58724
BKLYNBullit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
valve train noise

Hey fellas,
Just did the first service valve adjustment on my new (2011) DR. The exhausts needed only minor tweaking but both intakes were so tight they needed two to three complete turns each before I could slip the gauge in. It's a wonder to me that the engine could function in that state.
Well, I got it to spec and the And the valve clatter is now very pronounced. This is something I've come to associate with a healthy running pushrod single (my RE Bullet in particular), but is it normal for the DR's?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Chuck.
BKLYNBullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #58725
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
i've tried to find a thread on this, but no luck.

so the stock rear tire for the DR is a 120. many people move up to the 130 size. some people try to jam a 140 or 150 in there as i've heard.

is there a real advantage to a bigger/fatter tire when offroading, or do people just think it looks awesomer?

if you know of a thread on this, don't hesitate to flame me!

The 130 is a common size and it works fine. I don't waste HP on large rear tires, I ran a 130 TKC-80 because there was no 120 available. 120/90/17 tires usually are cheaper so, I'll run them in a Shinko 705 for example.

Other tires come in 5.10 or 130 for a better price... The rim is narrow though, the 120 or 130 works the best.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote