Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #58861
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Just replaced my rear wheel bearings. Approximately 12k miles. Very little water, not enough off road and I am pretty anal about proper chain adjustment. My cushions are getting hard and a little sloppy. Kind of questioned if lose cushions contribute to bearing failure. With only a single bearing in the hub it seems like a lot of load on it. I will replace my cushions everytime I replace my bearings FWIW, Just my two cents.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #58862
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I bought a nice new Yamaha R6 throttle tube as recommended by several riders.
It decreases the rotation required to go to full throttle.
I only was able to try it on a couple rides before winter arrived with lots of snow but I was pleased with the improvement.

However, while reinstalling my carb after doing the Procycle jet kit, I discovered the "quick throttle" does NOT open the carb fully. I mean that when the cable is tight I can still rotate the cam another 1/4" or so. Yes, the other (close) cable is loose, it is not stopping the throttle.

My guess is that I need to file away some of the plastic on the throttle tube that acts as the stop so that it will rotated more.

Has anyone else noticed this or have this problem? I don't remember reading of it before.

I see it was anwsered better in a post above.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #58863
keenerkeen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
You are kidding with that windshield, right?
must be kidding
keenerkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #58864
gumbometer
hairy reasoner

Oddometer: 33
GSXR x40f0x muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post
Thanks...

Anyone knows of anywhere that i can find a used GSXR1k Muffler?
Tried Ebay but couldnt find anything there...
I ordered one from this place after reading about it on drriders.com (after scouring craigslist and ebay for a few months):

"For those looking for this pipe, here is a source that claims to be able to get them with realitive ease. It's where I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

M.I.D.S. Cycle Salvage
Sumter, SC
803-773-3535
ask for Shane

I have no connection to them other then the fact it's where I found mine. Just thought it might help anyone out that has been looking.

Dan"

http://drriders.com/topic2998.html

Shane was the one that answered when I called, and he seemed to have no shortage of those mufflers. He was aware that DR650 owners are looking for them, too.

Good luck -- I hope you find one!
gumbometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #58865
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
So I have been riding with my new FMF powerbomb and see that it gets much hotter (or so it appears) than what I was used to with the stock muffler. It scares me a little but runs purrrrrrfect and have seen a nice low end power increase. Not to mention wheelie heaven! So I was thinking about wrapping the muffler, but don't know if this will increase engine heat or not. As it stands now the vapor shows temps nearing 310 degrees when idling and when really on an uphill push for extended periods. What are some thoughts here about the wrap? Any ideas? Has anyone done this before with the same exhaust? Thanks in advance John
I don’t think wrapping the exhaust header would lower cylinder head temperatures. It might make the pipe feel cooler and seem cooler but the heat would have to be conducted through an additional medium versus the bare metal pipe.
My 2009 DR frequently runs at 300 and sometimes hits 320 at sustained revs on 80+ degree days. It would be interesting to hear from others who use a cylinder head temp gauge and have noted operating temperatures.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #58866
keenerkeen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
You are kidding with that windshield, right?
could be dangerous ..mounting a bit far back for riding off road

keenerkeen screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 08:59 PM
keenerkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #58867
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Sooo.... I went for a ride all over today, it was so nice out! I went up some pretty beat up logging roads and the bike did great! Especially considering I am 250lb suited up, and have stock suspension.

When I got home, I just happened to grab my rear sprocket and it has a little side to side play. Does that mean it's Cush rubber time? I have read a lot of you guys posting about them. I haven't touched the rear tire/sprocket since I bought the bike, I've just been maintaining the chain. So yay/nay? Cush Rubbers? Or something else? Or is a little side to side play okay....
They are not unknown to fail, and it can be near catastrophic when they do. Not hard, or expensive, to change sooner rather than later.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post15720809

I ended up with a double row bearing that outlasts the original, but still got the wobbles after a while.

And IMHO rider weight is not a criteria for chain adjustment, its the alignment of the countershaft, swing arm pivot, and axle that determines the longest distance, and the chain needs to be adjusted accordingly. If a heavy rider is aboard and the swingarm sits above this line then the distance shortens. An over tight chain not only prematurely wears cs and wheel/cush bearings and the chain and sprockets, it compromises the suspension performance.

Steve
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #58868
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Among my friends who get terrible tread wear, they all use too much air pressure.

I stay around 22/25 psi in my tires. If I put 32 psi in the rear, I wouldn't make 3,000 on any tire. Been there, done that. If I run higher pressures up front the tire looks like a saw blade. Fully loaded, 24 psi works well in the front.

Too little or too much psi has a great impact on tread life. I hate changing tires, so I do run a 705 on the rear most of the time. Most of my friends run 36 psi on pavement and real low pressures off road.... They don't get good tread life either.

On my 07 FJR1300 I could wear out a Pilot Road in 4K if its all tight curves. The edges go quicker up in western NC. I just run them smooth some where between 5,500 to 5,800 front and rear. My buddy rides slower and never sees more than 4,200 on the same tire. Its all about being smooth and the amount of engine braking you use. Switch backs and rough roads like 80 in NC near Marion will kill a rear tire quick.

If your having fun, just burn them up. The only time a care about tire life is when I tour. I like to know how far I can go loaded up with camping gear. If I go out west to Utah or some thing like that, I run a 705 on the rear and some thing more aggressive out front. I can get 7K out there in the wide open spaces. Thats enough to get me home on one set of tires. The roads out west give better tread life, they must be rougher here in the SE. Or maybe its the tighter curves. I don't complain about curves....
I never run more then 25 on my 690 or 450. Usually around 15-20. Still get crap for tire life. Never over 1K miles on tires like Mt-21's, T-63's &49's, 756's etc. On the motard wheel set for the 690 I've tried as low as 24 and as high as 38 and tire life is the same, get about 1200-1300 miles out of a Diablo Corsa or Pilot Power.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #58869
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I never run more then 25 on my 690 or 450. Usually around 15-20. Still get crap for tire life. Never over 1K miles on tires like Mt-21's, T-63's &49's, 756's etc. On the motard wheel set for the 690 I've tried as low as 24 and as high as 38 and tire life is the same, get about 1200-1300 miles out of a Diablo Corsa or Pilot Power.
I guess wheelspin on demand and regularly returning the front tyre to the ground has a negative effect on tyre life.

It's a good problem to have
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #58870
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E Ahnung View Post
I ordered one from this place after reading about it on drriders.com (after scouring craigslist and ebay for a few months):

"For those looking for this pipe, here is a source that claims to be able to get them with realitive ease. It's where I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

M.I.D.S. Cycle Salvage
Sumter, SC
803-773-3535
ask for Shane

I have no connection to them other then the fact it's where I found mine. Just thought it might help anyone out that has been looking.

Dan"

http://drriders.com/topic2998.html

Shane was the one that answered when I called, and he seemed to have no shortage of those mufflers. He was aware that DR650 owners are looking for them, too.

Good luck -- I hope you find one!
Thanks alot for your input!

Still finding...
The drriders.com doesnt have one for sale!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #58871
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
Nat,

I think Ken was suggesting you call Shane at M.I.D.S. Cycle Savage.

Sarah
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #58872
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Nat,

I think Ken was suggesting you call Shane at M.I.D.S. Cycle Savage.

Sarah
Hi Sarah!
I know that, but I'm not based in the USA...
Not too familiar on making overseas call!

If there were some sort of email link, maybe it will help... hmmm
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #58873
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
Oh heck, sorry about that; fill out your profile!

Sarah

http://www.midscyclesalvage.com/
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #58874
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I just don't know how some of you guys do it. I mean I don't even get 3.5K miles out of a Pilot Road on my Strom. Never come close to 3K on ANY 50/50 dual sport tire I've ever tried. Never got 1.5K out of any knobbie. Now I just picked up a DR and even if I can get twice the milage on it that I get out of a tire on my 690 or my 450 EXC that still won't even come anywhere close to what you're getting
I get 1000-200miles from a rear knobby on my DR and about 2000 from the front. I run a Kenda 130/90-17 rear TrakMaster II and on the front a tire I feel no one seems to know about, but fantastic in the real slimy going: a Bridgestone ED-03
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #58875
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,152
Hey Russ..Can you or anybody..tell me if a smaller tail light will fit right into my stock fender..My blinkers or what is left of them need to be replaced ..is this stuff just plug and go..?...Getting reafy to go through the DR..been a loong season for that bike..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote