User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #59971
Thanas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi Guys,

So i got my 2,50 x 19 front wheel a few days ago, from the Suzuki XF 650 Freewind. It had the 300mm brake rotor on. I was testfitting the wheel to see if the rotor would fit, but it is just a tad to large in diameter. If i could get 3mm of the radius, i would be good.

I could swap the rotor from my 21" wheel on the 19", but that is not in the best shape as is. And the 300 mm rotor is a in better shape and also a slight bit thicker. So wanted to leave that on. Anybody know how to reduce the diameter? I don't have a lathe and will need to do it manually. I tried with a file, and that was working only very very tiny amounts at a time. So it would take for ever to do it that way

I would like to get the 320 mm kit, but at this time the budget is not sufficient.... Therefore i'm wanting to modify the disc that's on.

I'll post some pics when i get the time.

Best regards,
Thanas
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #59972
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have only one recommendation - take it back to the mechanic and tell him you want it fixed, on his nickel. after all, his nickel is the one you gave him to fix your bike. i would suspect that installing standard clutch springs will make everything all better.

if the above is not conwenient, (you mentioned being on a trip), simply replace the springs w/stock-rated springs. not sure if one brand is better than any other. i generally try to go for most reasonable price, but do research to ensure cheap doesn't mean bad.

doug s.
It would make sense to take it back but it's not an option in this case due to distance. Thanks for your help.

Procycle, I see a couple of clutch kits on your site. Would you mind weighing in on the merits of each?

Thanks,
'Hawk
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #59973
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
While in the middle of doing my RMZ250 Fork Swap (2007 RMZ) I'm about ready to unlace my SUN Supermoto Wheel that is currently laced to a stock DR650 Hub, and hopefully exchange the hub for a RMZ Hub, but any guesses to whether the spoke angles would be the same?

If not, what are my options?
I'd be interested in your stock front hub.
PM sent
maynard911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #59974
suzuki dual rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Helped the local Suzuki dealer put together a new DR today,.. Looks really good in gray.
I will be Picking up My New 2012 DR 650, Eary Next Week from the Dealer, Can not Wait !
suzuki dual rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #59975
suzuki dual rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Anyone Else got a New 2012 Dr ? Post some Pics maybe.
suzuki dual rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #59976
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
While on a recent trip I had to take my '07 to a shop for what turned out to be a loose primary nut. The mechanic suggested heavy clutch springs which I allowed him to install.

Since then my clutch is quite grabby when engaging, especially when cold. I can adjust some of that out by adjusting the cable but then the clutch doesn't seem to disengage all the way.

I never had clutch issues before the work was done but with nearly 19,000 miles I guess anything is possible. Before I open her up again I'd like to have replacement parts on hand, so any suggestions on brands: stock Suzuki, DP or others? Anything else I should look for that might be causing my problem? The NSU bolts have already been locktited BTW.

Thanks, 'Hawk
Replacing the springs would be really easy, I would go back to stock springs
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #59977
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Well, I'm hoping to pick up an 08 soon, it's blue with 1600 miles on her, wish me luck! I should know this Tuesday
Don't feel bad, you can always paint it white.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #59978
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,862
I am about to start my new project of installing a complete front end of a DRZ400 on my DR650, i already have everything ready except of the handlebard adaptors (from 7/8 to fat bars) & front head light holders.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #59979
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Don't feel bad, you can always paint it white.
Well, I'm also looking at a new 2011, she's white, LOL.
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #59980
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Well, I'm also looking at a new 2011, she's white, LOL.
Don't feel bad, you can always paint it gray.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #59981
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
White or Blue

You found the white one? What happened to the blue one?
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #59982
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
It's alive!!!!!!!

For all you good folks that have helped me out with this rear wheel issue over the last few weeks, it's back on and spinning nicely! Thanks again for all the help. New bearings (sealed both sides), new cush rubber, new (used but working freely) caliper, new pads, new fluid! Spins like a charm. I've never done most of this stuff, even the pads were a new project, that's where this started actually. I've learned a ton and can basically do whatever I need to do now when it comes to wheels I think, except lace up spokes but I've done that on bicycles so don't count me out on that just yet.
I was hoping to put the racks on for the HT panniers I picked up but I'll have to remount the signals elsewhere so that can wait. I'm not quite sure how to do that but I can figure that out. Meanwhile, I tried the racks on the Tiger and they are pretty close to fitting. I think I can make a few extensions at work and get them to fit although I might have to have someone fab up a rear support. Here's what they look like on the Tiger and soon I'll have pics of them on the DR.

and here's how far the racks are from fitting. I need to build out the rear mount an inch or so and the passenger footpeg mount only needs a steel extension plate about an inch long.

I'm not sure what the forecast is tomorrow but I'm riding the DR to work regardless. I'm stoked to have this back together. BTW, I sanded the pins on the used caliper and gave them a light greasing and the pads that were on them were pretty good so I'll use those up and have the new ones to put on after they wear out.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 05:32 PM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #59983
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Gray one

The gray one looks like they raided a naval ship paint locker. I wonder what other bikes in history were battleship gray? I think the one that steve mcqueen, the British one, maybe it was grey. I'm thinking they are running out of bike pigment. Paint getting uglier, price going up. I mean who did a poll and came up with gray for the new color of the DR?
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #59984
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
Funny, I want one, but I always have liked utilitarian paint jobs.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #59985
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
It looks way better and faster than the yellow ones!

3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote