Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #59971
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,371
I don't like the idea of a bike being similar in color to the roadway or background.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #59972
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
I'll keep that in mind, after I beat up these white plastics some more.
I hear ya, mud turns them brown after awhile
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #59973
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Me...I'm a big fan of yellow.....kinda Suzuki's traditional colours IIRC.

Suzuki= yellow
Yammie= Blue
Honda= Red
Kawasaki= Green....

However I have to admit that I like my 08's black with white side panels.....looks pretty sharp IMO....
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #59974
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I don't like the idea of a bike being similar in color to the roadway or background.
LOL, good point
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #59975
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Rmz650

Just got back from my first dirt ride with the RMZ 450 front end on my DR. I slid the forks up into the triple clamps about and 1 1/4 to try and keep the front to rear height similar. This worked well enough as long as I don't put on a larger front tire. This one was scrapping the fender when I bottomed, but all in all acceptable to keep the steering angle sharp enough for good handling. My next move is to get a taller tire and or 18" rim for the rear to sharpen the steering up a little more. The front end worked surprisingly well. I read that the RMZ front end had .47 fork springs and I was running .47 springs in the original forks with Race Tech cartridge emulators. They did a good job but the bike is now very plush and I have not yet started playing with the dampening except to set the comp and rebound about 5 clicks from soft. I also have 7.6 rear spring from Jesse and it worked very well with the front end although again I will attempt to set more tension at static sag as it feels like it runs out of travel. Eventually I'll get the rear shock rebuilt by Cogent or ??? and hope to get another inch of travel in the rear after talking to Cogent people. The front end went on pretty well as I only had to fab up steering stops and a bracket for the key switch assembly. I already had 1 1/8 bars and they fit right on to the RMZ bar clamps. The front wheel was off another RMZ and at first the brakes were anemic but after a little hard braking they feel better though not as solid as the DR650 stock set up. The stock caliper works with either fork and the wheel came with a stock 270mm disk. I'll probably look for something in the 290mm range for a replacement later. My headlight went on after I cut off the bracket where it slips over the forks. I then placed velcro on the new forks where the remaining part of the headlight bracket sets up against the forks. I placed velcro on the forks between the triple clamps as well and after placing the headlight bracket up against the forks I zip tied them on top and bottom. It worked very well and though I was bottoming during my test ride the headlight bracket and shroud remained in place. If your not aware the RMZ front end (mine was a 2007) literally bolts up to the frame steering head just as the original does. The bearings are the same as are the races and steering head shaft to the triple clamps.

My DR has many other motor changes including HC piston; cam, head porting, FMF SS header pipe with GSXR muffler. If really improved the power. The usual question here is what is the reliability like but I simply don't care what its like; I like power. I'm, still running the original carb with a KTM 640 needle and Suzuki jetting, at I think 165 main jet. I have the idle screw Jesse sells. There is enough power to power wheelie in second gear but not third. I weight 220 + gear but I don't think that is a significant factor. Acceleration is noticeably brisk and the cam gave me some additional top end before shifting is necessary. It also affords a wider power band.

When I finish setting up the rear shock and wheel for optimum steering response I intend to dismantle the bike and remove extra tabs and weight from the frame.

More to come!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #59976
RDseize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Very Impressive. Did not know, thanks for the FYI.
RDseize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #59977
DIRT MAN
Tracker

Oddometer: 63
Dr 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I really like the 2012 gray (in person) but good luck making an IMS tank look good with it. I'll stick with white, black or blue (in that order). Not a yellow fan either.

Regarding that project bike with all the photos.. where'd you get that Acewell speedo? I want one to replace my Vapor after this next speed sensor dies. Since Trailtech only warrants the sensor for 90 days and they tend to die every six months, that kinda says something.

Rob
Here is the link for Baha Designs and that is where I found the Acewell speedo
http://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/...S/speedometers

Dirtman
DIRT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #59978
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
When I finish setting up the rear shock and wheel for optimum steering response I intend to dismantle the bike and remove extra tabs and weight from the frame.
it may pay to put some spiral wrap around the braided line to reinforce it a bit.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #59979
Thanas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hi Guys,

So i got my 2,50 x 19 front wheel a few days ago, from the Suzuki XF 650 Freewind. It had the 300mm brake rotor on. I was testfitting the wheel to see if the rotor would fit, but it is just a tad to large in diameter. If i could get 3mm of the radius, i would be good.

I could swap the rotor from my 21" wheel on the 19", but that is not in the best shape as is. And the 300 mm rotor is a in better shape and also a slight bit thicker. So wanted to leave that on. Anybody know how to reduce the diameter? I don't have a lathe and will need to do it manually. I tried with a file, and that was working only very very tiny amounts at a time. So it would take for ever to do it that way

I would like to get the 320 mm kit, but at this time the budget is not sufficient.... Therefore i'm wanting to modify the disc that's on.

I'll post some pics when i get the time.

Best regards,
Thanas
Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #59980
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have only one recommendation - take it back to the mechanic and tell him you want it fixed, on his nickel. after all, his nickel is the one you gave him to fix your bike. i would suspect that installing standard clutch springs will make everything all better.

if the above is not conwenient, (you mentioned being on a trip), simply replace the springs w/stock-rated springs. not sure if one brand is better than any other. i generally try to go for most reasonable price, but do research to ensure cheap doesn't mean bad.

doug s.
It would make sense to take it back but it's not an option in this case due to distance. Thanks for your help.

Procycle, I see a couple of clutch kits on your site. Would you mind weighing in on the merits of each?

Thanks,
'Hawk
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #59981
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
While in the middle of doing my RMZ250 Fork Swap (2007 RMZ) I'm about ready to unlace my SUN Supermoto Wheel that is currently laced to a stock DR650 Hub, and hopefully exchange the hub for a RMZ Hub, but any guesses to whether the spoke angles would be the same?

If not, what are my options?
I'd be interested in your stock front hub.
PM sent
maynard911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #59982
suzuki dual rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Helped the local Suzuki dealer put together a new DR today,.. Looks really good in gray.
I will be Picking up My New 2012 DR 650, Eary Next Week from the Dealer, Can not Wait !
suzuki dual rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #59983
suzuki dual rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Anyone Else got a New 2012 Dr ? Post some Pics maybe.
suzuki dual rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #59984
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
While on a recent trip I had to take my '07 to a shop for what turned out to be a loose primary nut. The mechanic suggested heavy clutch springs which I allowed him to install.

Since then my clutch is quite grabby when engaging, especially when cold. I can adjust some of that out by adjusting the cable but then the clutch doesn't seem to disengage all the way.

I never had clutch issues before the work was done but with nearly 19,000 miles I guess anything is possible. Before I open her up again I'd like to have replacement parts on hand, so any suggestions on brands: stock Suzuki, DP or others? Anything else I should look for that might be causing my problem? The NSU bolts have already been locktited BTW.

Thanks, 'Hawk
Replacing the springs would be really easy, I would go back to stock springs
Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #59985
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Well, I'm hoping to pick up an 08 soon, it's blue with 1600 miles on her, wish me luck! I should know this Tuesday
Don't feel bad, you can always paint it white.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote