Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #60166
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Very nice, like the YZ fender and what you did with the vapor. How did you run the tach wire? On my last DR, I ended up running it to the CDI, after not having any luck wrapping the wire around the plug wire. Either way the RPM's seemed eratic

Nibis screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 08:47 AM
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #60167
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I wrapped it around spark plug wire. I haven't ridden the bike with the vapor installed yet but I did start it and it seemed to be picking up the tach signal ok. I am not too worried about that function anyway, I mostly switched over to the Vapor out of necessity after installing the Warp 9 front wheel which doesn't accommodate the oem speedo drive.

I need to get front and rear springs, fork brace, seal savers, and maybe a new headlight installed before spring and then call it good for the upcoming riding season. I am hoping over next winter to install the Procycle 790 kit and cam.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #60168
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I wrapped it around spark plug wire. I haven't ridden the bike with the vapor installed yet but I did start it and it seemed to be picking up the tach signal ok. I am not too worried about that function anyway, I mostly switched over to the Vapor out of necessity after installing the Warp 9 front wheel which doesn't accommodate the oem speedo drive.

I need to get front and rear springs, fork brace, seal savers, and maybe a new headlight installed before spring and then call it good for the upcoming riding season. I am hoping over next winter to install the Procycle 790 kit and cam.

Ahh, I see. The speedo was very accurate after calibration on my 2003, one complaint about the vapor, I wish the wires were a little thicker
Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #60169
MAXNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Can anyone help me identify what type of rear shock this is? I'd assume it was stock but the guy who owns the bike says the PO put this aftermarket shock on there because he was a heavy guy...This is on a '99 DR.

Yeah, I know, the pictures are bad...It was dark in the garage and these are the best I could get short of taking the shock off the bike.

The spring is a progressive 1193 350/390...I'm assuming the 1193 is the part # and the 350/390 is the weight/rate..am I correct? Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean?

That is not the stock shock. Not sure of the brand,hopefully some experts can help you out with that. Looks like you have rebound adjustments though,which is nice.
MAXNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #60170
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Can anyone help me identify what type of rear shock this is?

Looks like a Progressive Suspension shock which is no longer made.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #60171
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
Fork Oil Change

As far as I know PO never changed fork oil on my 06.

Red came out, is that Suzuki or indicates a different weight. I am replacing with Belray 10wt which is greenish.

I removed 440ml from each tube, manual calls for 565 ml and it to be 6.5" from the surface of oil to upper lip of tube.

I checked it with 550ml after pumping it up and down and managed to get it to settle at 5.5" spring top to upper lip. Same for both.

I also put in new progressive springs. Which are def. stiffer and am lookin forward to the first ride.

Question is should I be okay with this setup despite losing 1.5" in air space and with adding less oil. Seals are good and no leaks.

Thanks to all as I couldn't be doing what I do with my bike without you folks.

chilibizkit screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 04:32 PM
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #60172
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
How does your Tsukigi compare to Sarah's DG, with the baffle in it?
sorry, i never heard the dg; can't say. but i have read that folks think it's loud, even w/baffle...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #60173
tv guy
Commuter

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibizkit View Post
I checked it with 550ml after pumping it up and down and managed to get it to settle at 5.5" spring top to upper lip. Same for both.

I also put in new progressive springs. Which are def. stiffer and am lookin forward to the first ride.

Question is should I be okay with this setup despite losing 1.5" in air space and with adding less oil. Seals are good and no leaks.

Thanks to all as I couldn't be doing what I do with my bike without you folks.
I would take some of the oil out to get the correct air space. The added air space tends to soften the ride.

10w fork oil is the stock fork oil weight, I can't help with the color code but you should be good to go with the Belray oil.

Oops I just re-read your post did you measure the air space with the spring installed? Usually it is done without the spring so your 5.5" might be OK. Check the level again with the spring out.

It's Transportation!
tv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #60174
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oops I just re-read your post did you measure the air space with the spring installed? Usually it is done without the spring so your 5.5" might be OK. Check the level again with the spring out.[/QUOTE]

No def spring out, also done with fork compressed.

If spring was in and fork compressed there would be alot of spring sticking out above lip and impossible to measure level.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #60175
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Looks like a Progressive Suspension shock which is no longer made.
Thanks. That's exactly what it is...a progressive suspension 420 series rear shock.

Can anyone tell me if these are good/bad shocks? Rebuildable? I really can't find that much on them, except that they are not longer made.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #60176
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Thanks. That's exactly what it is...a progressive suspension 420 series rear shock.

Can anyone tell me if these are good/bad shocks? Rebuildable? I really can't find that much on them, except that they are not longer made.
they're no longer made, but the company is still in biz, and they might have some answers about it for you.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #60177
Nibis
Where to next?

Gsxr

Went outside to cool off after my workout, and what did I see? my mid pipe on the doorstep !

Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #60178
TN Sporty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
New DR Owner

I picked up a 2000 model today with 3900 on the clock. So far I am loving this bike.

Here she is on slight detour on the way home.

TN Sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #60179
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Frickin nice bike! Have fun.

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #60180
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Sporty View Post
I picked up a 2000 model today with 3900 on the clock. So far I am loving this bike.

Here she is on slight detour on the way home.

The love affair is just beginning. The more miles the more smiles