Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #60166
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
from research i did before i bought my tsukigi, no one else has repacked one, either. that's why i sprung for one, when i wasn't able to find a stock gsxr can quickly. i lucked out, and got an nos tsukigi ti can for $100 shipped. mebbe they're loud on gsxr's, busa's and zx-14's, but the tsukigi gsxr1000 can on a dr650 is not loud. and, however durable they are on the bigger bikes, i am sure they will be even more so on the dr650...

ymmv,

doug s.
Any straight through muffler with packing will wear out some day. I've put many miles on many mufflers, been there done that. A thumper is hard on packing. Most people have no clue and never repack any after market muffler.

When you said it didn't need repacking I was hoping for a baffled muffler without packing.

The only aftermarket one I've found is from Marving, from what I've read its too heavy and very low on the thumper sound most of us like.

Regardless, I'm glad you like your muffler. They are better than average build wise. The welds and the finish is usually good.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #60167
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,404
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
What is the most popular aftermarket bars for the DR, in the KLR world, seems like the Pro Taper SE ATV High was really popular. I'm not looking to go to fat bars.

Also, so many seat options at Procycle, I'm going to need a wider seat, looks like the Seat Concepts deal is good,
Pro Tapers are usually what I get. Choose the bend that fits you.

I've ran the CR High's on the last two bikes along with risers. I prefer the fat bars though....

I run a custom Corbin, but today I would probably choose between the Procycle cover, the seat concepts or the Sargent. Being a tall guy I would try Sargent first to see if they would build me a tall saddle. I've always felt my Corbin is too hard, but it does well overall.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #60168
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Any straight through muffler with packing will wear out some day. I've put many miles on many mufflers, been there done that. A thumper is hard on packing. Most people have no clue and never repack any after market muffler.

When you said it didn't need repacking I was hoping for a baffled muffler without packing.

The only aftermarket one I've found is from Marving, from what I've read its too heavy and very low on the thumper sound most of us like.

Regardless, I'm glad you like your muffler. They are better than average build wise. The welds and the finish is usually good.
i have had to repack my buell's factory race muffler several times. not sure how anyone could not know a muffler needs repacking, if it does - the racket is intolerable. i don't have nearly enough mileage on the tsukigi to make any personal observations - it's been on <1k miles. but, the few folks on the gsxr forum who responded said the tsukigi didn't need it. time will tell...

and yes - you would need to put some sort of screen on the end, to make it spark-arrestor compliant. not an issue for me, as my bike is set up as a motard, and won't be going off-road...

and yes, i do like it - it sounds nice, and, w/the other exhaust & carb mods i have done, it runs great!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #60169
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,358
True. And many people don't realize that the Gixxer cans don't have a spark arrestor either.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
That's not gonna fly as a spark arrestor. Necessary for offroad in most states and all Nat'l Forests.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #60170
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
True. And many people don't realize that the Gixxer cans don't have a spark arrestor either.
But as it's not a straight through, it is a spark arrestor?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #60171
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,358
I know that those forest ranger folks in the US like to check for that "USFS approved" stamp. Otherwise, it's no good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #60172
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Maybe somebody should ask Mr.Ranger if the muffler on his/her service vehicle has that stamp?Not trying to be an ass but somewhere on ADV site this was discussed.ALL motor vehicles approved for road use Cars,Trucks and Motorcycles meeting the Federal DOT standards have spark arresters built in,don't have the stamp.Otherwise you would not be able to drive in the National Parks and Forests with your vehicles.I think this was added for the off-road people to jump thru hoops to please the enviro groups.Years ago many of us had competition vehicles that had NO restrictions at all !! Remember the un-muffled exhausts,loud and no spark arresters.Many areas close to my home closed cuz of this.

So all the street bikes have a DOT exhaust with DOT approval stamp.Of course convincing Mr Ranger you know the LAW and he doesn't could be tricky.I'd recommend putting on the USFS approved spark arrester screen.That would end any controversy.Just my 2 cents.Thanks for listening...David
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #60173
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk
Twas from a KTM, not Berg

he knows that - YOU are berg, not the bike!

doug s.

I see you caught that Doug.... That's OK BergDonk...I appreciate your input on the matter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe View Post
I have been on the quest for an adj. shorty lever. No luck. I picked up a master cylinder from a (Dirt) DRZ400E. I am going to use a set of MSR levers. The brake is adj. for reach. For the brake switch I am going with a hydraulic switch. The mirror will mount on the back half of the split perch with a mount built into it. I will post pics when I get it done.
Cool, let me know how it works out. I'm just looking for a lever with adjustable reach without losing my mirror and stock hand guards. I'm wondering if there's an adjustable lever from another Suzuki that's a direct bolt on. I sent an Email to ASV to see if they had anything or had plans to make an adjustable standard length or even a shorty reach adjustable front brake lever for the DR 650. I made sure to include in my Email the DR 650 has remained unchanged since 1996. I don't know if the front brake switch is the same from 1996 to current. I know the clutch micro switch has changed somewhere along the line.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #60174
Stopelizard
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sharp edged shock shaft

First, I'll introduce myself. The name Stopelizard comes from exploring old mines (stopees on the DR are too much adrenaline for me). I'm new to posting on this forum, but have been on bikes for 33 years. The stable has seen twin shock trials to a VMAX and I don't know how many in between. I've been a member for quite some time, but after reading the whole DR650 thread, I haven't had anything to contribute. Until now. I don't think this has been brought up, My DR's rear shock started leaking at less than 6000 miles. I have not experienced this on a Japanese bike. As I started to put on the new head seal, I found a very sharp edge on the shaft next to the valve stack. If this was there on the initial assembly, it could have very well cut the seal and caused the premature failure. I took a small stone and made a smooth radius out of that sharp edge and the seal went on easily. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone. It would be a shame to jam an expensive seal on and have your shock leak soon after all that work.
Thanks to all of you who contribute so much to this thread!
Stopelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #60175
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,860
Can anyone help me identify what type of rear shock this is? I'd assume it was stock but the guy who owns the bike says the PO put this aftermarket shock on there because he was a heavy guy...This is on a '99 DR.

Yeah, I know, the pictures are bad...It was dark in the garage and these are the best I could get short of taking the shock off the bike.

The spring is a progressive 1193 350/390...I'm assuming the 1193 is the part # and the 350/390 is the weight/rate..am I correct? Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean?

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #60176
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXmcrider View Post
Maybe somebody should ask Mr.Ranger if the muffler on his/her service vehicle has that stamp?Not trying to be an ass but somewhere on ADV site this was discussed.ALL motor vehicles approved for road use Cars,Trucks and Motorcycles meeting the Federal DOT standards have spark arresters built in,don't have the stamp.Otherwise......
Excellent point. I read their manual, found online, trying to answer this. There must be over 20 pics and explanations of aftermarket exhausts in it. Even emailed the Rangers locally. No response. Our local folks are fine, but I just spent the $30 for an insert so we didn't have to debate this trailside.

Stopelizard - first I've heard of a leaky rear shock. Thx for the tip, it'll be in my mental toolbox for when I service mine.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #60177
Thanas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hi Guys,

So i've mounted my 19" front wheel and am weighing my options for the rear.

Have settled on a 4,25 x 17 with 150/70-17.

Are a few options for those.
Warp9
Excel
Behr
Akront / Morad

There is someone selling a set of 17", i'm only interested in the rear, but they are from a 93, so a SP43 of SP44, i own a 2006, so a SP46. As far as i can tell, they would not fit my bike. Pity

Am seriously considering going with the warp9 and lace them myself. Cheapest option by far. Although the Excel will be the coolest by far and possible the best quality.

Regards,
Thanas

Thanas screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 03:54 AM
Thanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #60178
Heavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
How does your Tsukigi compare to Sarah's DG, with the baffle in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i got my hi-flow kientech kit for $180 w/o the bracket; otherwise it woulda been $220..

tsukigi mufflers, whether ti, al, or s/s, do not need repacking. and they are not at all loud...

doug s.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #60179
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Finally got the rear wheel on. 2006 with 17,000 miles.

Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #60180
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Pro Tapers are usually what I get. Choose the bend that fits you.

I've ran the CR High's on the last two bikes along with risers. I prefer the fat bars though....

I run a custom Corbin, but today I would probably choose between the Procycle cover, the seat concepts or the Sargent. Being a tall guy I would try Sargent first to see if they would build me a tall saddle. I've always felt my Corbin is too hard, but it does well overall.
Thanks for the input. I had the chance to sit on a DR with a corbin, and I thought it was too hard, but I like the width.
Looks like the seat concepts is in my budget.

As for the bars, it gets super confusing with all the different bends, I've just heard good things about the ATV high, and CR high. Looks like I could get the CR's in blue.

I don't see much wrong with the stock bars, except that the cross bar is lower than on my KLR, which is making it alot harder to mount my Ram mount for the GPS
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote