If one were to make a choice in the case of protection between:

a: The Happy Trail's Highway Peg

http://happy-trail.com/ProductInfo.a...RSAL%20HIGHWAY

or

b. the Baja Designs Guard shown below

Which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep
The side case is vulnerable to the shifter. I slapped one of these on it and it has saved it a couple times.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/Ne...50_guards.html

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 07-22-2007 at 02:32 PM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #6017
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
^^
Small plastic zip-tie?
That's the one.
Attached Images

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #6018
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I think some got left in the engine somewhere. In the head maybe?

Don't worry about it, just fill it up untill you see the oil in the sight glass.
Lean the bike over to the right for a minute and see if more oil drains.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #6019
montanajoe
Love to ride

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Lean the bike over to the right for a minute and see if more oil drains.
Did that too, but it was fully drained. Like I said, this is the second time now, so I really don't know what's going on. It ran fine when I thought it was a little over-filled, but I would rather run it at the proper level. I guess I will run it down the road for a short trip and see what I come up with. Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #6020
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
oil

I had a similar issue when I first got mine. I use Torco oil, which I didn't realize come 1.056 quarts to the bottle, not exactly one quart but I was pouring two and a half bottles into my case which would show over full in the sight glass and oil would 'sweat' through the valve cover gaskets.

Check your oil bottles to see if they are exactly one quart.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47
I just changed the oil on my 07 650 for the second time (1000 miles) and found that I can only get 2 quarts of oil in the bike before it shows full. When I changed the oil for the 600 mile service, I added 2.5 quarts, and it showed overfull the entire way to 1000 miles. Any reason why the capacity of my engine seems to be smaller than it should be?

Also, I check the oil according to the manual, and changed the filter both times. I also make sure that no oil is still in the bike before I reinstall the plug and install the new filter and add oil.

I'm stumped.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #6021
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

side case protection

Both. The highway pegs may help but if the rock or ground still may be able to puncture this vulnerable spot. It's cheap insurance. I want a set of them highway pegs. Does anyone know if they'll fit the dual-star skid plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion
If one were to make a choice in the case of protection between:

a: The Happy Trail's Highway Peg

http://happy-trail.com/ProductInfo.a...RSAL%20HIGHWAY

or

b. the Baja Designs Guard shown below

Which would you choose?
My YouTube
Old 07-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #6022
montanajoe
Love to ride

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
I had a similar issue when I first got mine. I use Torco oil, which I didn't realize come 1.056 quarts to the bottle, not exactly one quart but I was pouring two and a half bottles into my case which would show over full in the sight glass and oil would 'sweat' through the valve cover gaskets.

Check your oil bottles to see if they are exactly one quart.

-Rich
I'm using Honda 10W-40, straight from the dealer. 1 US quart. Like I said, this whole thing seems a little weird to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #6023
hobnobber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Question chain issue from newbie 06 dr650 e owner

Have an 06 dr650se with 3K on the clock. It has developed a chain slap noise, that comes and goes with throttle application or release, sounds almost like a rod bearing going out in an old vw engine. I tensioned the chain up and the noise got better but don't like riding with so much tension on the chain.

Ordered/recieved new chain from Suzuki and my old chain has definitely stretched when compared to the new one. I had to grind off the rivet heads from old and new chain to remove and install. Its a 525 DID o-ring chain and the spare links I ordered are rivet style too. Is it possible to order a "clip type" master links like I use on my smaller Kawis/Hondas to get around the rivet deal?? If so any sources for these ??Thanks. Any other DR riders ever have a chain slap issue??

thanks
hobnobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #6024
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

chain slap sound

It sounds like the typical slap of the chain against the upper chain roller. There's been a lot of posts regarding that here. In fact, go back a couple of pages and you'll see the latest one.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnobber
Have an 06 dr650se with 3K on the clock. It has developed a chain slap noise, that comes and goes with throttle application or release, sounds almost like a rod bearing going out in an old vw engine. I tensioned the chain up and the noise got better but don't like riding with so much tension on the chain.

Ordered/recieved new chain from Suzuki and my old chain has definitely stretched when compared to the new one. I had to grind off the rivet heads from old and new chain to remove and install. Its a 525 DID o-ring chain and the spare links I ordered are rivet style too. Is it possible to order a "clip type" master links like I use on my smaller Kawis/Hondas to get around the rivet deal?? If so any sources for these ??Thanks. Any other DR riders ever have a chain slap issue??

thanks
My YouTube
Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #6025
Lone Rider

Quote:
It sounds like the typical slap of the chain against the upper chain roller. There's been a lot of posts regarding that here. In fact, go back a couple of pages and you'll see the latest one.

Rich
My guess also. Remove it.

I doubt the oem chain was gone in 3k miles....if it was set correctly when you took delivery.

Sure, you can get either the clip or rivet master link. Swig the beer that tastes best to ya.
I haven't read reports of the rivet link coming off.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #6026
Ken Ackerson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Hey anyone use'n the kenda k-270's?I'm looking for a good 70/30 tire.
The kendas price is right,but hows there street performance?I like to throw the old DR around abit.
And i'd like to get decent wear.[5,000 to 6,000 miles with proper care]I ride mostly dirt and gravel roads and some fire roads.And back country pavement.
I had no real problems with the OEM trail wings[good grip on the road,and you could tell when they were going to break loose in the dirt.]But they've had it in about another 1,000 miles[atleast the rear],so it's time to start figure'n on a new set.And i don't want to drop a $100+ a pieace on tires for the dual sport.The street only bikes are bad enough!
I love the Kenda 270s and expect to get about 6000 out of the rear and 7-8000 out of the front. They handle good on the pavement and hook up great off road including the dreaded Florida sugar sand. I'll be buying many more sets at less than $100 a set!

Ken
05 Vstrom, sold
Ken Ackerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #6027
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47
Did that too, but it was fully drained. Like I said, this is the second time now, so I really don't know what's going on. It ran fine when I thought it was a little over-filled, but I would rather run it at the proper level. I guess I will run it down the road for a short trip and see what I come up with. Thanks guys.
Dunno, really.

I'd warm it up by riding or standing, whatever, and just check that sight window.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #6028
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnobber
I tensioned the chain up and the noise got better but don't like riding with so much tension on the chain. thanks
A normal chain setting on the DR seems unnaturally loose. Leave that chain on the loose side!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #6029
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
A normal chain setting on the DR seems unnaturally loose. Leave that chain on the loose side!
+1 I am running a 14/45 and that is the lowest gear you can run with the stock chain and it seems to be OK.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #6030
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

chain

Ditto! A chain with too much tension can snap that upper roller off the frame or tweak the counter sprocket shaft. Keep it on the loose side brutha.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
My YouTube