Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #60616
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Why am I the only one who doesn't complain about the stock seat? Its a dirtbike, not at barcalounger. The stock seat is fine.
There are few like you...but not all butts are made the same.

About 15-20 minutes was the max I could take before screaming for help.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #60617
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,682
I think it's this:

http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F

75 euros = just under $100 USD

EDIT: it seems that shipping is either $35 or 35 euros, I can'te tell which. The bottom of this page says:

"XR650 RallyRaid Fairing, also fits the XR400 just a quick note we need your zip code to give you a acurate price for shipping, approx shipping prices, usa & canada = �35.00, OZ & new zealand = �40.00, holland, france, spain, portugal = �25.00 uk = �10.00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
Where can I get it, and how much does it cost?
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.

thumpididump screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 09:33 AM
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #60618
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I've done a couple of 500 mile days on the stock seat, and it's doable, but for me, an aftermarket seat makes a big difference in my comfort. So does bar risers, heated grips, wind screen, etc. Personal preferences.

Quote:
Why am I the only one who doesn't complain about the stock seat? Its a dirtbike, not at barcalounger. The stock seat is fine.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #60619
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Just bought a Laminar Lip 'B-King' windscreen from Procycle to replace my Parabellum 25" (or compliment it). The Parabellum is really nice, but way tall, and I thought I wouldn't mind looking through the screen but I do. I read other reviews that the lip puts clean air on the helmet and removes the wind pressure from the chest, hopefully this remains true for my 5'8" frame. I've tried so many shields so far, and just cant find the right one. So far I've had:

A cheapo eBay scooter shield- good protection, vibrated the bars a lot;

the dual sport shield from procycle (in various positions), too much helmet buffet, no protection;

spitfire (in various positions), too much helmet buffet, no protection;

23" parabellum, good except got some nasty buffeting on my helmet at highway speed. and finally;

25" parabellum- fine other then looking through it annoys me, and it looks dumb being as big as it is.

I'm tired of searching
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #60620
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,682
Out of curiosity, I emailed them with some questions about shipping. Within minutes, I had a reply.

Shipping to Canada/USA is 40 pounds... That's $63 USD. However, if you order more than one, then subsequent screens are shipped for 12.50 pounds ($20 USD).

Oh, and they keep stock on hand in red and white. Other colours are available to order (and I assume this would take a bit longer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I think it's this:

http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/prod...?prod=RRXR650F

75 euros = just under $100 USD

EDIT: it seems that shipping is either $35 or 35 euros, I can'te tell which. The bottom of this page says:

"XR650 RallyRaid Fairing, also fits the XR400 just a quick note we need your zip code to give you a acurate price for shipping, approx shipping prices, usa & canada = �35.00, OZ & new zealand = �40.00, holland, france, spain, portugal = �25.00 uk = �10.00"
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.

thumpididump screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 11:10 AM
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #60621
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Just bought a Laminar Lip 'B-King' windscreen from Procycle to replace my Parabellum 25" (or compliment it). The Parabellum is really nice, but way tall, and I thought I wouldn't mind looking through the screen but I do. I read other reviews that the lip puts clean air on the helmet and removes the wind pressure from the chest, hopefully this remains true for my 5'8" frame. I've tried so many shields so far, and just cant find the right one. So far I've had:

the dual sport shield from procycle (in various positions), too much helmet buffet, no protection;

23" parabellum, good except got some nasty buffeting on my helmet at highway speed. and finally;

25" parabellum- fine other then looking through it annoys me, and it looks dumb being as big as it is.

I'm tired of searching
Maybe it is time to try something shorter...

I am 5' 8" too and have been searching for the perfect windshield forever. I have tried about 4 or 5 till now.

This FZ1 shield seems to do the work for most part. It blows at your neck, but no buffeting You can find this one cheap or maybe free from the FZ1 owners (this is from the gen 1 FZ1 which is from 2001-2005).

Try it out if possible.

This is not very tall and seems to do the job for me. Not adjustable and needs holes to be drilled in the fairing though.

From what I have seen, there are a lot of factors that will factor in when trying to find the perfect windshield. The height, weight, seating position, etc... So something that can work for me may not work for another person even if he is of the same height.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #60622
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
You're not alone. I'm fine on it too, whether riding dirt or riding across the country.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #60623
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
You're not alone. I'm fine on it too, whether riding dirt or riding across the country.
Count me in hhere as well
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #60624
catfishdan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post

I'm tired of searching
I just installed the b king wind screen on Sunday. I like it so far. It takes the wind blast off my chest and no helmet buffeting. It is a little louder at speed though. You might consider replacing the little Velcro dots with long strips of Velcro so you can move the shield up and down. I wish I had but I didn't think of it till after I was done.
catfishdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #60625
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
WHOA!!!

I have just about had it with the DR650's stock front fairing cluttered-ness...
Possibly just do an extension on each side of the cowl using a flat metal plate? Just push it forward an inch or two to gain some room. Mine is getting an overhaul this summer so I can more easily fit the HID, heated grip wiring and the Eastern Beaver 4 circuit set up. Adding a power outlet and independently switched spot lights & monitor for battery draw, too.

I like the Honda based product in the past few posts but like my current option of removing the shield.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #60626
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
I think your right, bike is 14 years old, should be good for another 14 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
If you saw how quickly they put those motors together you would be surprised they ran at all! I've seen car motors where the machine ran out of head gaskets, head bolted right to the block...wouldn't surprise me to find an oil ring installed in-correctly now and then (1 in 100,000)?

As for running it...I can't say. Those oil rings are tough, may have never had a problem. If it was mine...If i could feel the wear at all (or measure-which is hard to do on a small spot like that) I would have done like you and had it re plated. I've never had much luck half assing stuff and it work out.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #60627
TDY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Ottawa DR650 Riders

Not to take anything away from this great thread, I'll still be here, but I wanted to announce that I've started a local DR650 thread for DR650 riders in Ottawa Ontario Canada.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post18094504
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #60628
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
Where can I get it, and how much does it cost?
As has been said its the Rally Raid unit from the UK.
A bunch of us here in Aus got together and they did a special order in white. Price delivered was about 120 Aus dollars I think.
I believe its reasonably straight forward to fit it to a DR keeping the stock light and brackets.

I decided to pimp it up and go for twin lights which are just 70mm lights I bought at a local auto store.

neilaction screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:44 PM
neilaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #60629
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
DR650 for sale in AL

Anybody in the SE US looking for a nice clean DR my almost stock 2009 is for sale, flea market link here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767039
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #60630
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Count me in hhere as well
The stock seat doesn't seem bad to me either, though my longest day on the DR so far is ~5 hours.

I also have the gel seat. Based on only a couple short rides right after I bought the DR last August, the gel seat didn't seem any better, so I put the stock back on because it looks better and is a little taller.

I wish I had extra seat hardware so I could swap back and forth more easily, and do a more thorough comparison. It's nice having 2 seats in case I decide to get a Seat Concepts.

jon_l screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:38 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote