User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #60616
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Always more work than you think....rear shock upgrade

So I pulled the shock off my 2000 DR tonight to swap out the spring with a new one from procycle. All part of the many mods i have been making since getting it almost 2 months ago. So after I pull it out, what do I see? Well, not a bottoming bumper, that's for sure! :( My bad for not looking really close at it all before ordering the new spring.

So now I have a shock sitting on my bench with a new spring dying to go on it, but no bumper. I was not planning to do any mods to the internals now, for lack of energy and money at this point. But I guess I got no choice but to pull it apart and put a new bumper on it. So then do I add a gold valve too? And maybe a new seal head? Or just say "screw it" and go all in and get the complete shaft assembly. I mean, its only plastic money anyway...

*** Note to self: always upgrade suspension first, then spend any money left on bling. ***

Guess i'll be calling Procycle tomorrow....
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #60617
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,539
I think you should buy theProcycle "Shock Shaft Assembly with 8.1 spring" for $498.00 Tell me how much you like it! :)

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #60618
Copie
The resident new guy

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I've been following the DR650 thread for at least a year now.....have always been a lurker.....so, figure I'll start to join in on the fun.

The DR650 had, for several years, been on 'The List' of bikes to buy......Eventually bought a 2003 to play with for a couple months --- after totaling up everything I wanted to do with the bike, I decided to flip the '03 and buy an '07 with some of the additions I wanted to make. After beating the crap out of the DR chasing 450's in the woods most of the summer --- decided this winter to make the bike more of a street tracker, back road explorer.

Before....

Bike came with a Clarke Tank, WER damper, .50 fork springs, TM-40 pumper, FMF Q2 can, and a Renazzco seat. I quickly upgraded the bars to ProTaper EVO's, Galfer steel braided brake line, and installed the FMF Powerbomb header.

After this winter..... (Thanks to Christmas money....and selling off a bunch of extra parts laying around)

Upgraded the springs to .47's in the front w/ RaceTech Emulators & 10Wt Maxima, rear shock 7.5 kg/mm w/ 7WT Maxima. I internally lowered the suspenion, but kept the rear shock mounted in its higher 40mm position to keep the bike with a more forward weight Bias. Also gave WER a call and swpped out the damper fluid to 10wt fork oil for better street manners.

I had Procycle lace me up a set of BMW GS wheels..... 2.75x19" front, and a supermoto 4.25x17" rear. (110-80-19 front, 150-70-17 rear) Which allow me to run TKC-80's......or Sport-Touring tires. I'm running the Continental Road Attack 2's this summer.....I might switch to a Shinko 705 or Michelin Anakee to play around.

Swapped out the Tank to the IMS, changed plastics to white with an Acerbis supermoto fender, new moose handguard plastics, AMP engine guards, RSW billet upper triple, Superbrace Fork Brace, changed out most of the bearings, installed 520 (15/43) sprockets, new RK XW chain, Skateboard Axle Sliders, and I just installed an SW-Motech rear rack.....

I had to strip the bike pretty far down.....this is after I re-installed the forks & rear swingarm. I didn't pull the motor this time around.....but I did check the valves, swap out the plugs, and serviced the TM-40.

I had rust and bad bearings everywhere.....she needed some love.....so, I created a little 'paint booth' in the garage to selectively paint some areas that had bad rust.

After everything was finished.....

Hi,

What are the black things on the wheel bolts? and where did you get them from? they look like a set of oggies.

Safari Tank, B&B bashplate/rear rack, Eagle 360mm Screen, Corbin seat, Front + Rear suspension rebuilt w/ RG3, Pivot Pegz, VSM Lowering brackets, MT90 A/T F+R.

Link to pics
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #60619
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think you should buy theProcycle "Shock Shaft Assembly with 8.1 spring" for $498.00 Tell me how much you like it! :)
Did it. Love it.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #60620
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Bike is 2 yrs old, I bought it new, 27,000 miles on it so far. Was running fine one day, then the next it wouldn't start.

How old is the bike? How many miles did it take for the pick up coil to fail? My bike is racking up the miles...
[/QUOTE]

28,427 miles on mine when the pickup coil went tu. It happened in the garage luckily last October.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #60621
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Uh-oh, I'm at 28,600.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #60622
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Did it. Love it.
Cool! Thanks.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #60623
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
WHOA!!!

I have just about had it with the DR650's stock front fairing cluttered-ness...

I'm concerned about my wiring over time wearing through the insulation and shorting out a wire due to vibration, and not enough space back behind the "fairing". Also I am sick of all the wiring in there anyway! I just want to go ride my bike but this has been bugging me for a while and just don't know what to do. I messed around with it for a while and cant get it to work nicely. I can hardly get the headlight cover on! Its too tight a fit. I'm at a loss after tonight...

How do you guys do it? Expecially you guys with wired in GPS's, 12v outlets, heaters, extra lights, vapor, ect.

I've only got the HID, and symtec grip warmers, I really can't get things to work out up there, I feel like rewiring the whole friggin bike!!!

Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #60624
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Cobie......

They're a set of 100a superhard skateboard wheels connected together by hose covered threaded rod run through the axles......they act as axle sliders if you lay the bike down in the street/track.

arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #60625
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #60626
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishdan View Post
Just got all my goodies installed and went for a ride. The procycle low pegs are way more comfortable. The moose racing hand guards are solid but a bit of a pain to install. The ims tank went on without any problems and I was able to keep the charcoal canister ( I know... But I'm a bit of a tree hugger). The b-king wind screen seems like the ticket for high speeds. It just takes a little bit of wind blast off my chest. It might be just what you need for the freeway, jaws. I think I will return the factory pro jet kit and save up for a tm40. Thanks for the advice.

I've got the TM40 carb, it's a beast. Great for aggressive riding.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #60627
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,433
Fairing fitted

Finally got around to fitting the new screen.

Decided to ditch all the standard lights, mounting brackets and hardware and start from scratch.

Cockpit view is a bit agricultural.

Low and high beam.

For what its worth this set up weighs 2kgs and the stock light and screen etc weighs 1.5kgs, give or take.

And before someone jumps in, no I don't think its ADR compliant. But what on my bike is?

neilaction screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 03:24 AM
neilaction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #60628
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe View Post
That looks good. What seat is that? Thanks Joe
Sargent low seat. It's nice and low, and very comfortable, but there's not a lot of foam on the pan so you feel more vibration than the stock seat. I have thought about getting a regular height seat with softer foam to get rid of the vibes.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #60629
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Why am I the only one who doesn't complain about the stock seat? Its a dirtbike, not at barcalounger. The stock seat is fine.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #60630
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
Once I rode 200 miles in a day on the stock seat and it was terrible. Airhawk pad changed it all.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote