Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #60961
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,684
http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piec...set-93388.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Info? I need

EDIT:Looks like it only available at Canadian Tire and you can't order online.
That doesn't help. If you have a link for this, please let me know.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #60962
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 214
Rough idle/hesitation

Help with this please! I've had my 99 DR for about 4 month's. Stock everything. It's developed a strong hesitation/stopping at idle. It sounds fine, then it seriously hesitates almost like I turned the key off & on quickly. I don't notice anything at full or half throttle. It runs strong down the road, but has died at stop lights a few times. I turned up the idle a bit, still does it but won't die now.

I figured a carb clean is in order, but just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this. It's just kind of abrupt when it does it.
Burnt Toast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #60963
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Info? I need

EDIT:Looks like it only available at Canadian Tire and you can't order online.
That doesn't help. If you have a link for this, please let me know.
Is this what you need?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000O5XDOG
Manic Cycles=My Blog
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #60964
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
I figured a carb clean is in order, but just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this. It's just kind of abrupt when it does it.
Yep, that's the first thing to do.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #60965
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Help with this please! I've had my 99 DR for about 4 month's. Stock everything. It's developed a strong hesitation/stopping at idle. It sounds fine, then it seriously hesitates almost like I turned the key off & on quickly. I don't notice anything at full or half throttle. It runs strong down the road, but has died at stop lights a few times. I turned up the idle a bit, still does it but won't die now.

Probably needs a new pilot jet, fresh o-rings, float adjustment and a fuel filter. Procycle sells a BST kit. On a 99, I would look at replacing the float needle if its original. The rubber tips become very hard over time.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #60966
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
Anybody? Am I making something out of nothing or this a real problem? It just seems strange for there to be so much oil standing in that area.
I don't have any idea what might cause that or what it means. I was looking forward to an answer myself, just out of curiosity. If you don't get any answers here I would call Jesse at Keintech. I'll bet he would be able to shed some light on it. Every time I've called he's been really nice and really helpful.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #60967
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
I have a strange problem. I opened the valves to check clearances and the exhaust valves side is full of standing oil. The intake side is drained but shows some oil has been there which as I recall is normal. Is there a port that is supposed to drain this that could be clogged? If so how do I unclog it and is this getting clogged a sign of some other problem?

So, it was full to the top? Never seen that on my bike, always some oil below the rockers. Nothing more than a couple ounces though.

Was the engine cold? Doesn't sound right.... That ain't normal for my bike.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #60968
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:

I have the same symptoms on my 2007. I've never been in the carb, but I guess checking the pilot jet would be a good place to start. Kind of embarrassing when your bike dies at a light right when it turns green.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #60969
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,684
Sounds like BST carb-itis. A nice TM40 pumper carb will fix that right up.

Sounds like your pilot circuit is clogged. Time for a good cleaning. Better yet, just replace the jets.

Quote:

Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #60970
boother
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
DR650 Eibach front and rear spring kit

I finally got my new to me 2009 DR out and had some fun today. The previous owner did a lot of upgrades but it was very apparent that another thing I will have to change are the front and rear springs. The PO was a much bigger guy than me and had installed the 8.4 kg/mm rear and (I think) the .55 kg/mm fork Eibach springs. Since I am about 5'6" and 160lbs these just are not going to work. Even with the preload eased up they are really stiff for me.

When I get them out and cleaned up I'll post them in the flea market. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #60971
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 214
Carb-itis

Thanks for the info guys!
Burnt Toast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #60972
boother
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
You might find that you'd be able to do a straight swap for stock springs.
Thanks but I have the original stock springs so I just want to sell these. I'm sure they will go cheap. In fact if someone that knows what they are doing happened to come by the house and swapped the Eibachs with the stock springs for me and left some beer, I'd probably be happy with that.

There is fun work to be done to the bike. Changing springs just isn't all that fun...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #60973
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by boother View Post
Thanks but I have the original stock springs so I just want to sell these. I'm sure they will go cheap. In fact if someone that knows what they are doing happened to come by the house and swapped the Eibachs with the stock springs for me and left some beer, I'd probably be happy with that.

There is fun work to be done to the bike. Changing springs just isn't all that fun...
Your springs are worth quite a bit. Around $200 or so new. Springs don't wear out. But give them away if you like ... or trade for something you need. Lots of big guys around here will LOVE those HD Eibachs, especially travelers who are packing 100 lbs. plus on the bike. Perfect for that. At 160 lbs. the stock springs should be close for you. Have fun! (BTW ... changing springs is super easy)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #60974
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by boother View Post
... The PO was a much bigger guy than me and had installed the 8.4 kg/mm rear and...
Make sure you still have the stock lower spring seat. If the PO installed an Eibach spring they require a different spring seat as an adapter. The adapter requires removing the stock parts that fit the stock spring.

Now, if the PO installed a ProCycle spring you'll be fine since the ProCycle springs are made to the same dimensions as stock and don't require the billet adapter.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #60975
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Tm40

Found a PC TM40 in my mail box today! So what choke set up did you guys do? I am thinking about useing the knob on the Carb and doing away with the handle bar choke and cable.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote