Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #61036
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
It's a 2007 with 3300 miles.
The oil is probably off to make itself useful.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #61037
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Adjustable Passenger Back Rest.

So, I was out in my garage, going through all my extra motorcycle stuff, and found a couple of good looking things.

Amongst all my "shit" was a Reynolds Rack model 240 that I originally purchased for my '95 BMW K75. I had it installed for a little while, but Kristi my girlfriend, didn't enjoy the constraint it posed, and it never really matter to her.

Well, I started thinking. I recently rode from Everett, WA to Buenos Aires on an '07 DR650. Then I sold it to a traveler, flew home, bought an '09 DR650 in Alabama, and rode it to San Diego before catching a ride up I-5 back home.

What I experienced was nearly 3k miles of highway/interstate on my cross country USA trip, and several thousands more on my trip to Argentina.

Has anyone ever seen a back rest on a DR650? I suppose if you special ordered a Corbin, you could get a back rest installed. Or maybe even a Russell Day Long with that option.

I went a different route.

I was looking at the rear rack on my DR650. It's a variety of the Billet Rear rack, made by

So I took the top of the rack off it's mounting brackets, via the 4 removable screws, and who would have thought, my Reynolds Rack model 240 lined right up.

Now, it's nothing special, and surely there are many of you guys out there that use your DR650's as legitimate dual sporting terrain tacklers. Well with 4 easily removed bolts, this bad-boy comes off. Don't stress yourselves gents.

There are two mounting tabs on the Rack, and two of the bolts are installed on the inside, connecting to the tabs. The other two bolts go in from the outside. Also, as you can see, the Billet Aluminum rack is currently held on by 4 zip ties. It'll do for now.

Currently, the back rest pad sits a bit high. I am 6'6", and the pad rests a bit below, and directly between my shoulder blades. Anyone about 6' or less would find this to SUCK.

As for now, this is what is looks like. I will drill 4 more holes in the rack to make it have an adjustable position. I intend to make it able to move 4 inches forward, for a comfortable back rest position for solo riding.

Further more, the back rest will be made to be adjustable in height and position. This may lead to the rack staying in the same position while the back rest moves instead.

I like it for now. I will be cutting of the length of the back rest mounting legs that extends beyond the rear of the seat. About 4 to 5 inches or so.

I found another one on sale on EBAY. Similar to what I paid for mine about 3 years ago. Many others would work as well I am sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-85-97-RE...9ed047&vxp=mtr

Anyhow, it was a mildly productive day as I changed the oil too.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #61038
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
It's ironic.

The guys in the KTM 950 SM thread are discussing inadequate suspension on our bikes as well. (fully adjustable front and rear WP) I love my 950 suspension, and after some mods very pleased with my DR suspension as well.

It's all relative I suppose.

I get "fiddling" is half the fun with bikes, but sometimes just ridin the damn thing, whatever it is, is lost in the complications of searching for 'perfect'.
It's the same with BMWs.

Standard my F800 was a little bit better than a standard DR - you could carry a pillion on the BMW, I wouldn't have tried that on the DR.

But still for a dual sport role, completely inadequate.

Apparently being the most expensive bike on the market shouldn't give me any sence of entitlement in regards to quality.

My 2 DRs and all their mods cost far less than the BMW did.

One is set up as a trail bike, one is set up as an Adventure Bike. It will carry a pillion anywhere.

Just in case you were thinking of upgrading, I have the choice of 3 dual sports bikes and I ride my chopped and ratted DR the most off road. It rocks.

The BMW is my mid life crisis. My Vietnam. My nemesis.

The DR keeps me sane.

Be careful what you wish for......you just might get it.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #61039
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
mine did that for a bit then went away.
just clean it up w/ simple green and water.
Mine weeps oil at the cam plug too. Same deal above the spark plugs. Its minor so far.

I'm 6'-4" and it does not take much to create a back rest. I use the bag with my camping gear to lean back on. No camping stuff.... A baja bag stuffed with rain gear works. :what:

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk

sagedrifter screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 04:17 AM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #61040
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Back Rest

The rack on my DR is off an old CB750 Honda. A little modification and it fits fine.

There is a back rest that plugs in (small pipes into larger pipes), which makes the back rest adjustable front to rear. Only use it on longer trips, the rest of the time the back rest hangs on the garage wall. The top box is an old Samsonite luggage w/wheels.

Keep your eyes open at garage sales. The guy that sold the rack also gave me a rack for an XL250, but it wouldn't fit the XL350. It's in the barn waiting...

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 03:01 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #61041
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
So, I was out in my garage, going through all my extra motorcycle stuff, and found a couple of good looking things.

Amongst all my "shit" was a Reynolds Rack model 240 that I originally purchased for my '95 BMW K75. I had it installed for a little while, but Kristi my girlfriend, didn't enjoy the constraint it posed, and it never really matter to her. . . .

. . . I will be cutting of the length of the back rest mounting legs that extends beyond the rear of the seat. About 4 to 5 inches or so . . .
As a K75 owner, the thought of you chopping up that Reynolds Rack makes me cringe. There aren't many of those around and they're not making any more. You could get a good price for that on any K-bike forum.

My brick
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #61042
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
I know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
As a K75 owner, the thought of you chopping up that Reynolds Rack makes me cringe. There aren't many of those around and they're not making any more. You could get a good price for that on any K-bike forum.
I know it. I've had it on my bike (the DR) for a couple of days in the garage, and I just can't bring myself to chop it. I think what will happen, is that I will sell the Reynolds Rack 240 to another Kbike enthusiast, and modify a different rack to fit. Gotta keep the Reynolds racks alive.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #61043
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,598

John Deere and DR pics..... Nice pics bigalsmith101.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #61044
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's the same with BMWs.

Just in case you were thinking of upgrading, I have the choice of 3 dual sports bikes and I ride my chopped and ratted DR the most off road. It rocks.
GO FOR IT SNOWY

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #61045
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,853
My favorite mod so far...Heated grips!

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #61046
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,240
Metal in oil after oil change

Ok so what's the most likely cause?

Bought a used 09 with 2500 miles, PO siad he had the first service work done so I was going to wait until 4K miles to change the oil but recently found out he did not do any of the recommended service so at about 3400 miles I changed the oil...left it sitting in the drain pan until this afternoon when changing oil in 4Runner.

Poured the DR oil into a sealable contanier and noticed some very small metal filings and a large (to me) piece of metal. Should of taken a pic but it was about 4mm long and 2 mm thick with one side rounded.

Bike runs great, makes no noise and has been ridden about 100 miles since the oil change.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #61047
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,352
Piece of an NSU bolt? I'd be checking that right away.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

Bought a used 09 with 2500 miles, PO siad he had the first service work done so I was going to wait until 4K miles to change the oil but recently found out he did not do any of the recommended service so at about 3400 miles I changed the oil...left it sitting in the drain pan until this afternoon when changing oil in 4Runner.

Poured the DR oil into a sealable contanier and noticed some very small metal filings and a large (to me) piece of metal. Should of taken a pic but it was about 4mm long and 2 mm thick with one side rounded.

Bike runs great, makes no noise and has been ridden about 100 miles since the oil change.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #61048
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

Your bike is almost new, unless you have really bad karma, it's just a bit left over from the production process.

One thing about the internet: it makes us paranoid. We hear about every stutter, surge, stumble, hiccup and sneeze that happens to any DR worldwide.

The first purchase one should make for any new (or used) motorcycle, would be a magnetic drain plug. It's a long term preventative maintenance item that never quits protecting our motors from the itty bitty, really really hard pieces that occassionally chip loose from our trannys. It also tells us when there are too many new, loose pieces between oil changes. And the 'once inna while' NSU screw:

Pic courtesy of NordieBoy:

Mine after the last oil change:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 06:58 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #61049
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Eh? Yowza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
GO FOR IT SNOWY

Thanks for the laughs!

I am sure glad I wasn't drinking anything when I saw this picture as I would have spit it across the room
I was laughing out loud so hard that everyone wanted to know what I had seen.
There are some bikes called "Frankenstein", but none I can recall deserve the name more than this monster.
Whomever this bike belongs to, more power to you Bro!
It would take a real character to ride this one in public....
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #61050
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Your bike is almost new, unless you have really bad karma, it's just a bit leftover from the production process.

One thing about the internet: it makes us paranoid. We hear about every stutter, surge, stumble, hiccup and sneeze that happens to any DR worldwide.

The first purchase one should make for any new (or used) motorcycle, would be a magnetic drain plug. It's a long term preventative maintenance item that never quits protecting our motors from the itty bitty, really really hard pieces that occassionally chip loose from our trannys. It also tells us when there are too many new, loose pieces between oil changes. And the 'once inna while' NSU screw:

Pic courtesy of NordieBoy:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll pick up a magentic drain plug and I'm debating pulling the cover to check the NSU screw...I'll do it eventually, probably at next oil change.

Curious why these particles (like I saw) don't get trapped in the oil filter. Clearly they are large enough that they shouldn't pass through the filter. Is it that they are too heavy and stay in the bottom of the engine case and never make it up to the filter?