Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #61201
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
So guys, I have a GSXR muffler question:

I have the FMF header pipe but the used Mid-Pipe I bought is for stick header. WHat can I do to make this fit?
Here is what I am thinking. Let me know if there is an easier method.

Options
a)Heat it up to expand it.
b)Use some sort of gasket & silicone combo to close the gap down
c)Get a stock header and swap out the FMF.
Maybe it will expand on a machine? I remember some one else saying the local muffler shops couldn't expand a small pipe. Can't hurt to ask...

d) option could be to get the right mid pipe...

A used stock header would be an easy solution, thats probably the less costly way to go if your mid pipe already has the flange on it. Or sell the sucker as a combo if you like your FMF set up. Make some money on a package deal.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #61202
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
Yes, I have the FMF hi-flo. Wouldnt expanding be good?

The thing is, I am hapy with the FMF and just repacked it. But I bought the GSXR muffler because it was really great deal.
Now, I dont wanna spend $220 on the midpipe alone.
you could prolly expand it, sure. but you won't be getting any hi-flow benefits; it will still be restricted to the narrower diameter of the midpipe. i cannot tell you how to spend your cash, but i can say i bought the keintech hi-flow mid pipe. it cost me $180, cuz i didn't need the bracket adapter w/the tsukigi gxsr can i got... but you likely paid less for your gsxr can than i did for the tsukigi...

look at it this way - no more fmf repacking; you will get your money back from the midpipe inwestment. sell the standard-size midpipe and freshly packed fmf muffler to help w/the initial up-front costs...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #61203
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Thumb High flow header to midpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i am assuming you mean you bought the fmf high-flow wersion? i would recommend selling the midpipe and getting a
high-flow midpipe...

doug s.
+1
Post up an offer to trade if someone has the high flow midpipe and wants to return to stock size. Hey, it could happen.

Or post it up for sale and use that money to buy the high flow midpipe.

OR, if you don't care about the slightly decreased performance of the smaller midpipe, any muffler shop can expand the end out for just a few dollars.
Take the headpipe with you and tell them you want the midpipe to fit snugly in the headpipe.
They can only expand a couple inches (length not dia) but that is more than you need to connect the midpipe to the headpipe.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #61204
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
hi all,

I'm beggining to research the feasibility of doing carb mod to my stock standard 2011 DR650. I was intending to buy the Dynojet Kit, however, noticed the Procycle option. Are both of these kits relatively the same and with the same expected results?

Most of the mods I've read are with Dynojet have been reasonably successful but hoping people can give me any success stories with the procycle kit??

Any guidance would be appreciated.

thanks heaps.
Another option for you to consider. I had pretty good results with my old DR650 just getting the parts from Jesse @ Keintech and cutting the airbox and setting the carb up per his specs. At the time, He sold me a shim for the the stock needle, larger main jet, had me drill out the plug and adjust the mixture (I added the extended adjuster screw) and cut the airbox. I had a Yoshimura slip-on exhaust.

I was pretty happy with that carb setup, but when I got the new DR last year I decided to find an FCR and skip over rejetting the BST this time. Of course I'm really REALLY happy with the FCR, but there is a big bump in cost to go that route. I think it was worth it, but the main improvements were in throttle response and smoothness of the throttle. Once you get the slide open on the properly jetted BST it's still a big improvement over stock, and a lot less expensive than the FCR.

I haven't used it (and they may have changed it since then) but the Dynojet kit had a radical needle, big jet, and recommended a REALLY open airbox. If I was to try and work with the stock BST now I would call Jesse and talk to him for the least expensive option, or consider the Procycle kit. I just took a look at it and it looks like a nice and well thought out kit.

After getting the FCR installed, I am glad I decided to bite the bullet and skip rejetting the BST in favor of the FCR. If you can afford it, I'd take the money you'd spend on the Procycle jet kit and put it towards an FCR or a TM40. If it takes a while to make that happen, I'd get the jet and shim the needle.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)

GaThumper screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 04:23 PM
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #61205
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
I just installed a procycle jet kit and modded my airbox and added a new muffler with good results. Just be ready to spend a little time getting the details right if your are not lucky on the first test ride. Lots of folks here to give pointers.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #61206
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I still rather not have my pegs below the skid plate. I would do damage to those plates in short order. It would suck riding home with a torn off peg or two.

You can shorten the stock pegs or get the Procycle offering, no set back, but they don't hang down.

Adam on his Short Way Round blog actually bent the mounting point on the frame. I run loaded and I'm fairly fat so I was concerned this could happen to me:

The blog.... a good read if your not aware of it: http://shortwayround.co.uk/2011/12/2...ano/#more-1622
Didn't bend the mounting point.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=58524

I'd hit plenty of things before, but usually they died.

Lasted for 3 1/2 years though.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #61207
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Shameless Plug

I'm selling my DR650

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772277
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #61208
surplustravis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Anyone

Hey im in need to a start/stop switch the one on the right side of the bars, my start switch lever broke off,, i may have to go for a new one but was seeing if anyone here had one for sale. Let me know thanks

pm me or email t o tiji@carolina.rr.com
surplustravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #61209
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Yeah, it took 17,000 miles for my swingarm rubber protector to get warn down just enough to make SLIGHT grooves in the swingarm.
I just checked my swingarm protector.
Not even near worn through.

What are you doing to the poor things over there?

It has had a ScottOiler on from new though.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #61210
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
I agree, The 700's rock. Much better tire than I've seen in a while. Although those 244's are even less and fast becoming the tire of choice for DS bikes here in the PNW.
I'm busy over here convincing everyone that Shinko 705's are the perfect tyre
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #61211
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
circlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCC View Post
Hello everyone, I've recently joined the DR650 family. I bought this beast off of craigslist this winter.

It's a 2001 with a pumper carb, modified airbox, and two brothers m7 muffler. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and didn't know it's history and was even less mechanically inclined than I. I replaced the headlight and redid a lot of the wiring up front. It has a Vapor tach so the mileage is unknown, he claimed it was about 11,000. Most of the issues I have found are minor and I'm working on a list of farkles that I want. Last night when I took off the sprocket cover to identify the countershaft sprocket I found this damage to the swingarm.

The chain has worn thru the slider and has eaten into the swingarm. It looks like it is caused by a combination of too tight chain tension and excessive seat loading. The question I have, how much of a worry is this? Will it fail as soon as I take it off road, or do I just monitor it for cracking and keep riding?
I do believe your master link clip is on backwards. It is easy to snag and pop off when it is facing this direction. But it does look like you got bigger issues to deal with at the moment.

Chris in Topeka

Oops , I see this issue has already been commented on. Sorry.

Chris

cemory screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 06:43 PM
cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #61212
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by surplustravis View Post
Hey im in need to a start/stop switch the one on the right side of the bars, my start switch lever broke off,, i may have to go for a new one but was seeing if anyone here had one for sale. Let me know thanks

pm me or email t o tiji@carolina.rr.com

Go to Highway Dirtbikes and get their kill switch. $37 if I remember correctly. You need a on/off for the kill switch and a momentary on switch for the starter. It is way more durable and 1/2 the price of an OEM switch!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=634120&page=3

See post #40 in above link for picture and more details.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #61213
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
How I responded to Acerbis tank

Reply to PC- sorry to hear this if you do not plan on stocking them in the near future then send me a white IMS tank and refund me the difference. thanks for email. Paul Wakefield

zdiver1 screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 07:24 PM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #61214
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsOnMyBoard View Post
Hey guys, just received a message from Jeff at Procycle regarding our eagerly anticipated Acerbis tank. Huge bummer! Thought this would be the perfect tank! . How silly to essentially replicate the IMS offering at higher cost!

Im sending this email because you have preordered one of the new Acerbis fuel tanks for your DR650. The Acerbis literature states these tanks would be 6.6 gallons (25 liters) capacity but in reality the actual production tanks are only slightly more than 5 gallons (20 liters) capacity. As you can imagine I am deeply disappointed! ProCycle had a lot riding on this new product. We were all very excited!

I have cancelled our initial stocking order of 60+ tanks and I will be cancelling all the open customer orders and returning those payments. If you paid by credit card it may take a couple of days for the returned payment to appear on your account.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Please take a moment to make a quick reply to this message so I can keep track of everyone who has been notified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Thats stupid to release a tank that offers nothing new, why spend the R&D effort? I guess they think a nicer finished version on the IMS will sell. I bet IMS owners won't feel the need to "upgrade" much..

Why can't they copy the old 6.6 and make it work on a second gen DR650? Sounds too simple I guess. No sense in producing a 5 gallon version, what a waste.
That's too bad ... but perhaps not all is lost? Anyone know the retail price of this new Acerbis tank? If not too pricey it may be a nice alternative to the IMS.

For ages Acerbis has made nicer tanks than IMS. Both are pretty strong and seem to take a crash well, but generally ... Acerbis "Look" sharper on the bike, better finish and better colors.

I've used many different tanks on dirt bikes since the mid 80's. Clarke, IMS, Acerbis. Acerbis always looked the best. If the price was the same or close to the IMS, this new tank might be worth a look, even if it's "only" 5 gallons.

Looks pretty good on the WR250. Italian design makes all the difference.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #61215
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 805
Hey: i took my new to me 2003 out on a short road trip over the weekend.
Over some pot holes I hear some rattling from the rear of the bike.
could it be shot swingarn brngs or do these bikes have a top out knock sound in the shock???
Thanks.
ADVwanaB is offline   Reply With Quote