Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #61201
Merkur Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thanks Sagedrifter. I dont like to lay my bike over on its side to remove the wheels. People keep stopping to ask how bad the wreck was, and if anybody was hurt.. That center stand looks usefull.

Its possible we may know each other or passed by somewhere in the Talladega NF. I moved to Arizona after living in Oxford.
I used to ride here:

Now I ride here: Its a little drier environment now. Not to many creek crossings around these parts. If you look real close, you can see my DR at the bottom, where the road ends, about 50 feet to the left of that large boulder.
That would be Laughlin NV in the distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Shu runs the SW-Motech center stand I think...

I've had one for years now. Procycle and Twisted Throttle sells them. It does not interfere with the kick stand. Its a bit short though, I carry small square pieces of plywood for rear tire work. Its a great thing to have IMO....

Merkur Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #61202
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,413
Uncorcked the dr this past weekend.

F40F0x muffler with Keintech midpipe and stock header, ProCycle Jet Kit using 150 main and clip on 4th groove of needle, DT Triple 1 air filter and cut open air box accoridng to ProCycle template.

Runs great but a fair amount of decel popping and when I wack the throttle open from 1/4 to WOT for just a tiny split second the engine revs but it doesn't feel like the bike moves much then takes off suddenly with a lurch. The sensation is similar to something like a slipping clutch that all of a sudden hooks up.

On the short ride fueling seems good, no surging, no hesitation other than what I just described, lots more power, first gear wheelies just by WOT while sitting on the seat with no suspension loading. Did the 4th gear WOT back off to 7/8th described in the tuneing instructions and no speed up or increase in power and no engine revs or misfire so I assume main jet and needle position is good.

Fwiw, I removed Harley CV carbs form sportsters, softails and touring bikes and it's a hell of lot easier to remove and replace a Harley carb than the dr carb.

blk-betty screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 08:45 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #61203
shu

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Yeah, it took 17,000 miles for my swingarm rubber protector to get warn down just enough to make SLIGHT grooves in the swingarm.
I don't get it.

I just went out with a flashlight to have a look at mine. 42,000 miles and there is only slight wear into the rubber protector- nowhere near the swingarm. Just a little flat spot in the same place where TimCC's has eaten into the swingarm.

Someone explain this wear to me since I don't seem to have it. Loose chain, tight chain? Undersprung, letting the back end bottom out too much? Too many jumps? What gives?

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #61204
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's too bad ... but perhaps not all is lost? Anyone know the retail price of this new Acerbis tank? If not too pricey it may be a nice alternative to the IMS.

For ages Acerbis has made nicer tanks than IMS. Both are pretty strong and seem to take a crash well, but generally ... Acerbis "Look" sharper on the bike, better finish and better colors.

I've used many different tanks on dirt bikes since the mid 80's. Clarke, IMS, Acerbis. Acerbis always looked the best. If the price was the same or close to the IMS, this new tank might be worth a look, even if it's "only" 5 gallons.

Looks pretty good on the WR250. Italian design makes all the difference.
I think the tanks are $359 or so. If it has dual petcocks and can use 100% of the fuel it may be alright. I still like my Safari tank and I would get it all over again. I do like a 6 gallon size though but, I guess I'll have to put up with my 9 gallon piss colored super tanker. I hate looking for fuel when I'm having fun in the middle of nowhere.....
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #61205
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Didn't bend the mounting point.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=58524

I'd hit plenty of things before, but usually they died.

Lasted for 3 1/2 years though.
One of the pics NordieBoy linked to:
Hey, did you get the broken threads out of there? And, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplustravis View Post
Hey im in need to a start/stop switch the one on the right side of the bars, my start switch lever broke off,, i may have to go for a new one but was seeing if anyone here had one for sale. Let me know thanks
A few have replaced the start switch with a Radio Shack button switch. There's room in the stock housing if you didn't break the entire assembly. Sorry no pic, no link.

Here's a nice solution:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I just checked my swingarm protector.
Not even near worn through.

What are you doing to the poor things over there?
Me too. I'm at 28,940 and only have a 1/8"-3/16" notch in mine.

As usual, an hour behind the thread.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #61206
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I don't get it.

I just went out with a flashlight to have a look at mine. 42,000 miles and there is only slight wear into the rubber protector- nowhere near the swingarm. Just a little flat spot in the same place where TimCC's has eaten into the swingarm.

Someone explain this wear to me since I don't seem to have it. Loose chain, tight chain? Undersprung, letting the back end bottom out too much? Too many jumps? What gives?

..............shu
Fast riding??? Good looks? I don't know, wish mine would last 42K. I spend most of my miles bouncing around loaded on rough roads. My chain is not tight. Please do tell your secrete, I hate popping $30 for one.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #61207
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkur Man View Post
Thanks Sagedrifter. I dont like to lay my bike over on its side to remove the wheels. People keep stopping to ask how bad the wreck was, and if anybody was hurt.. That center stand looks usefull.

Its possible we may know each other or passed by somewhere in the Talladega NF. I moved to Arizona after living in Oxford.
I used to ride here:

Now I ride here: Its a little drier environment now. Not to many creek crossings around these parts. If you look real close, you can see my DR at the bottom, where the road ends, about 50 feet to the left of that large boulder.
That would be Laughlin NV in the distance.
Many of the water crossings are going away in the Talladega NF... so sad...

I've been in Jacksonville, AL for three years now, came from western NC, the Morganton area. I want to go back out west soon, but the funds are not there. I did the Moab area two years ago, good times.

Too much of this crap around here now:

They are putting in new culverts over the creek, it was a nice crossing at one time. It got washed out from the storms and they put the dang road back. I went to take a pic of the water and its just ugly piles of stones now with some chert... I didn't feel like taking the pic.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #61208
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Uncorcked the dr this past weekend.

F40F0x muffler with Keintech midpipe and stock header, ProCycle Jet Kit using 150 main and clip on 4th groove of needle, DT Triple 1 air filter and cut open air box accoridng to ProCycle template.

Runs great but a fair amount of decel popping and when I wack the throttle open from 1/4 to WOT for just a tiny split second the engine revs but it doesn't feel like the bike moves much then takes off suddenly with a lurch. The sensation is similar to something like a slipping clutch that all of a sudden hooks up.

On the short ride fueling seems good, no surging, no hesitation other than what I just described, lots more power, first gear wheelies just by WOT while sitting on the seat with no suspension loading. Did the 4th gear WOT back off to 7/8th described in the tuneing instructions and no speed up or increase in power and no engine revs or misfire so I assume main jet and needle position is good.

Fwiw, I removed Harley CV carbs form sportsters, softails and touring bikes and it's a hell of lot easier to remove and replace a Harley carb than the dr carb.

I just went through basically the same changes with the same initial off-idle behavior and going up to the 155 main from the 150 was what it really needed. swap it and you'll see.

Greg
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #61209
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Thanks.....Might have to try the 155. I used the recommendations in the ProCycle Instructions with the 150 for free flowing exhaust and 155 for race exhaust. I assuemd the F40F0x was free flow rather than race.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #61210
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Tank ship tax

Quote:
I think the tanks are $359 or so. If it has dual petcocks and can use 100% of the fuel it may be alright. I still like my Safari tank and I would get it all over again. I do like a 6 gallon size though but, I guess I'll have to put up with my 9 gallon piss colored super tanker. I hate looking for fuel when I'm having fun in the middle of nowhere.....
2250360002 1 359.95 Acerbis 6.6gal Tank 96-up DR650 - White

Subtotal: 359.95
Shipping: 13.88
Tax: 0.00
Total: 373.83
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #61211
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Hey: i took my new to me 2003 out on a short road trip over the weekend.
Over some pot holes I hear some rattling from the rear of the bike.
could it be shot swingarn brngs or do these bikes have a top out knock sound in the shock???
Thanks.
Usually it's the thick washer under the shock bump stop.
Bump stop moves up, washer rattles. Hit a big bump and the bump stop is pushed back down and the noise stops.
It's a bugger to troubleshoot if you don't know what's going on.

They're normally bonded together. I use super glue to fix it occasionally.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #61212
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

A 155 Mikuni is like a 165 DJ main.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 09:33 PM
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #61213
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
One of the pics NordieBoy linked to:
Hey, did you get the broken threads out of there? And, how?
Drilled and thread removererer thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Me too. I'm at 28,940 and only have a 1/8"-3/16" notch in mine.
Yeah, mine looks to have a lot of life left.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #61214
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
A 155 Mikuni is like a 165 DJ main. I live near sea level and never could figure out the fat jetting folks like so much. Never needed more than a 150 main with an exhaust upgrade.

The hesitation will go away with the needle at 3, its not a BST that likes the 4th notch. Sounds like its bogging from a rich needle setting.

Procycle sets the TM40 up right for your use, I had it easy with the plug and play TM40.
Not what I wanted to hear. Pulling the carb just to change the needle clip is a bitch but yea it does kinda feel like it's bogging down. I was kinda thinking maybe with the slide drilled it was opening up too fast. I know with the DJ kits on HDs they tend to run rich and there is a lot of disagreement about drilling the slide. I've just changed the needle to an '88 sporty needle and moved up one on the pilot and main jets and left the slide alone with good success.

The hesitaiton is only when I whack the throtte to WOT from around 1/4 to full. Otherwise no hesitation and in normal riding I probably won't be doing to many off idle to full out WOT accelerations. Was getting about 45 mpg and gonna see what I get now for comparison then if significantly different will make jetting/needle changes.

Btw, at sea level as well.

blk-betty screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 09:33 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #61215
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
I have been waiting on this tank, like some others, for a while now. I was really looking forward to the 6.6 gallon capacity.

The pictures I saw before Procycle pulled them from their website showed dual petcocks.

Not having to lay the bike over to get the last half-gallon of fuel when needed might be worthwhile.

The smaller than promised capacity is a disappointment and I'm still mulling whether it is $100 worth of worthwhile for the dual petcocks, but I've not yet ruled out the tank.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote