Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #61276
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,434
The 705's are great for asphalt, and they do just fine for gravel road work, but if things get wet or muddy, or any more difficult than gravel, fuggetabbboutttit.

http://www.fy-yff.com/2010/11/michel...ar-update.html

http://www.fy-yff.com/2011/07/shinko-705-tires.html

If I were heading out on a 3,000 mile dual-sport trip, I would just get the T63's and plan replace them when I get back. Peace of mind. If the trip was going to be 90% asphalt with 10% light dirt roads, then the 705's would be great, and there'd still be tread left at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I don't see a lot of people using the T63's here but I've been real happy with the one on my bike so far. I think I might try the 705's for this trip though. For $100 what's to lose?

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #61277
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
The 705's are great for asphalt, and they do just fine for gravel road work, but if things get wet or muddy, or any more difficult than gravel, fuggetabbboutttit.

http://www.fy-yff.com/2010/11/michel...ar-update.html

http://www.fy-yff.com/2011/07/shinko-705-tires.html

If I were heading out on a 3,000 mile dual-sport trip, I would just get the T63's and plan replace them when I get back. Peace of mind. If the trip was going to be 90% asphalt with 10% light dirt roads, then the 705's would be great, and there'd still be tread left at the end.

Thanks for the links, good info there. I plan to ride at least 4200 miles on this trip so it'll probably end up closer to 5K in the end. I think the T63's will do that mileage but I'm not sure. At 3K my T63 rear is about 1/2 warn but losing its effectiveness in mud. I don't care if they're shot when I get back but If they're not going to be much better than the 705's after 2-3K then maybe I'm just better off with the Shinkos. The majority will be pavement but I do expect some mud along the way. Pricewise it's not a big difference either way, I just need to decide what will work best for the majority of the trip.
So the Shinkos suck in the mud even when they're new eh?

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #61278
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
I concur. The 705 rear can get you through a little mud here and there but you won't enjoy that part. It is my favorite for paved and dry road conditions. The Kenda K761 is a little better in mud and about equal with the 705 for the rest so I would go that route if mud is likely.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #61279
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Thanks for the links, good info there. I plan to ride at least 4200 miles on this trip so it'll probably end up closer to 5K in the end. I think the T63's will do that mileage but I'm not sure. At 3K my T63 rear is about 1/2 warn but losing its effectiveness in mud. I don't care if they're shot when I get back but If they're not going to be much better than the 705's after 2-3K then maybe I'm just better off with the Shinkos. The majority will be pavement but I do expect some mud along the way. Pricewise it's not a big difference either way, I just need to decide what will work best for the majority of the trip.
If you're going to be riding mostly pavement and want to have any fun in the twisties I wouldn't even consider the T63's. I've run them and hated them on pavement. I've got a set on my DR350 for mud season, but I'll take them off in a couple months, worn out or not, just like I did last year because I dislike them so much on pavement. I run TKC80's on the DR650 I have in ME and they'd be a good choice for your trip, but pricey, and they'll be used up when you're done with the trip.

I put almost 4k on my other DR650 over the last couple months running Shinkos in Southeastern AZ and Baja. I ran a 705 rear and a 700 front. I was extremely happy with the performance both on and off road, and after 4k the rear still has a decent amount of tread left, and the front is in great shape. I didn't have to ride through any mud though, and I don't think the 705 would do very well if you're expecting a lot of deep mud. A little mud here and there - no problem. A set of 700's front and rear might be a good combo for the type of riding you described.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #61280
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post

I put almost 4k on my other DR650 over the last couple months running Shinkos in Southeastern AZ and Baja. I ran a 705 rear and a 700 front. I was extremely happy with the performance both on and off road, and after 4k the rear still has a decent amount of tread left, and the front is in great shape. I didn't have to ride through any mud though, and I don't think the 705 would do very well if you're expecting a lot of deep mud. A little mud here and there - no problem. A set of 700's front and rear might be a good combo for the type of riding you described.
If I'm in deep mud I'm probably going to be fooked anyhow but I don't plan on getting into any on this trip. So why run the 700 on the front instead of the 705? Almost seems like those two tires are different enough that you wouldn't want to mix them together.

Strange, Motorcycle Superstore carries the rear in the 700 but not the front.

Tom Waits
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #61281
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
If you're going to be riding mostly pavement and want to have any fun in the twisties I wouldn't even consider the T63's. I've run them and hated them on pavement.
Quote:
I run TKC80's on the DR650 I have in ME and they'd be a good choice for your trip, but pricey, and they'll be used up when you're done with the trip.
Really? I've gone through 2 sets of TKC's and 3 sets of T63's, and found their performance both off-road and on-road to be nearly identical. They also last about the same mileage. The only difference I've seen is price. On twisty paved roads, they both work very well, especially once they've worn a bit. In fact, I find the front T63 to be superior to the front TKC for both dirt and street duty (not by much, but still...). And quieter. For the rear, I find they are identical.

Quote:
A set of 700's front and rear might be a good combo for the type of riding you described.
Couldn't go wrong with a set of 700's either, from the info I've seen. A friend of mine ran them on his KLR and really likes them for all round use and good value for money. I'm thinking about a set of 700's for my WR on an upcoming Baja trip.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #61282
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Running a more aggressive tire in front vs rear allows for better steering feel and handling on loose surfaces while still preserving enough pavement grip to be fun. I am running a Kenda big block front and K761 rear now and its great on road and casual offroad. I.have run similar combos of irc and shinko models with success also. The big block.front and 705 rear would be my top pic so far.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #61283
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Couldn't go wrong with a set of 700's either, from the info I've seen. A friend of mine ran them on his KLR and really likes them for all round use and good value for money. I'm thinking about a set of 700's for my WR on an upcoming Baja trip.
It looks like the 700's could do a bit more in the dirt. I just haven't heard much about them so hadn't given them much thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnlight View Post
Running a more aggressive tire in front vs rear allows for better steering feel and handling on loose surfaces while still preserving enough pavement grip to be fun. I am running a Kenda big block front and K761 rear now and its great on road and casual offroad. I.have run similar combos of irc and shinko models with success also. The big block.front and 705 rear would be my top pic so far.
That makes sense, thanks.

Tom Waits
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #61284
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
The US $ is worth little on the world market yet a Safari tank here in Australia where they are made costs US$692 (AU$650) + shipping

They simply drop the price to get sales in the US,profit by volume.

Pivot pegs are no different,made in Australia yet I saved some $60 buying them in the US including the postage.
Bingo! Safari are doing the "loss leader" strategy to establish a nice foothold in the US market, where they are largely unheard of. Huge potential market here in the US ... and they know it. So they are thinking ahead.

Both Clarke and IMS have been around and advertising in the US for 30 years. Safari are new and are trying to be competitive, so are taking a small loss for now ... to get established in US. I'd guess these prices won't be forever.

In the meantime it appears they are pissing off a lot of Oz local customers.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #61285
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
To get that swing arm into position where the chain could grind it at that angle, the rear wheel would need to be swung up all the way to the end of it's travel. Maybe that bike had a heavy rider or was overloaded and the rear shock kept bottoming out? Funny that the chain shows no signs of wear on the inner edge. .............shu
Could be a combo of things to do that. Soft stock spring, not enough preload, heavy rider riding HARD over whooped out terrain, ... add a small front sprocket.

All could contribute to that sort of wear. My two stroke race bikes would get wear on the rubber swing arm rubber guide too.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #61286
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
How about the Shinko 700's? They look a little more aggressive. Anyone been using them?
I think the 700 could be a good compromise. More off road than the 705. I've not run the 700 but reports are good. I have run the 705. Not an off road tire beyond mild fire road. My rear wore out at 4000 to 4500 miles. Front 705 lasts well.

My inclination would be to run a "Mullet" set up. A good street legal knobby up front (there are many), Shinko 700 out back. The front is the key player once on dirt.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #61287
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Maybe in deep mud on a heavier bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Although I consider the 80/20 bit to mean 20% pavement...

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #61288
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
I payed AU$8500 on the road from NT Motorcycles in January 2008.
Strangely at that time (08) the NT retail of $7500 (+$1000 orc) was equal to around NZ$10000 but a DR there cost around NZ$8000.

AU$7300 is around US$7781 on the current exchange rate.

Apples and oranges,swings and roundabouts.
$5400 out-the-door in March of 2009, for my '09 in NorCal.

Lex
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #61289
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Aussiespeak

"ugly as a robber's dog"
"like a cap full of arseholes"
And, even "arsehole" for our U.S. "a$$hole."

You guys in OZ (maybe NZ, too) slay me with your colorful terminology.

Any chance one of you more colorful-speaking Aussies could give us a list of the most useful terms? I like to try 'em out on my mates here in NorCal.

Lex
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #61290
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Looks like the 705's run around $100 a set, damn, can't beat that price. The T63's around $130 a set. Since my trip is in the spring and likely to be wet I'm wondering if the T63's might be better for muddy dirt roads. I'm sure the 705's will be a whole lot smoother on pavement but what are they like on muddy roads? I've only had the DR for 7 months so don't have much experience with different dual sport tires. I might want to get off the road and onto a trail to find a stealth campsite a few times.
Wet roads can suck with knobs tho? Kenda 270 is pretty good 50/50 tire. They do dirt decent and pavement decent. Just got done with M21's. Down right scary on wet pavement. Not great on dry eaither but kick ars in the dirt.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote