Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #61336
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
What year of Hayabusa muffler do you speak of?
Here ya go. Only $9500 and it will come with tires included for that price.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772852

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #61337
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
we Northern Hemispherians are modding up for a new riding season - spring has sprung here in TX and thank God for the rain.... drought is epic

but I'm wondering if any of you have come up with the end-all/be-all windshield solution ??? we go through this conversation every couple of years and I'm just wondering if anyone has one they really, really love yet?
For us south of the equater its coming up to riding season as well.
Off road riding is a winter sport for me thats for sure.

So far i'm happy with this set up.

I've got a 2500+ kilometer ride coming up in a few weeks so i'll know more after that.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #61338
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
I didn't always wear ear plugs, just started a few years ago. I tried a set like those, they were very uncomfortable for me, I prefer the expandable ones, but after years of riding, I think it has taken it's toll, I get ringing in my ears and it's hard to hear things when there is background noise
\

I have worn earplugs every working day for the last 12 years and highly recommend 3M 1100's for anyone who finds earplugs uncomfortable. The only disposable plug that I can wear for more that 2 hours at a time. The only thing better are my custom molds. But the 3M's work better with a helmet on.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-1100-Foam-E.../dp/B0002YK9YG
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #61339
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
\

I have worn earplugs every working day for the last 12 years and highly recommend 3M 1100's for anyone who finds earplugs uncomfortable. The only disposable plug that I can wear for more that 2 hours at a time. The only thing better are my custom molds. But the 3M's work better with a helmet on.

Those look like the ones I wear, I get mine from the hardware store.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #61340
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Side Stand

Looking for a regular side stand, if you have lowered your bike and still have your regular stand, and want to part with it, or would like to trade for a short stand? Not sure how we would do that, unless you have a center stand you can use till we trade, LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #61341
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,404
ear plugs

Last year, I went for my first ever hearing test in my 41 years. It was noted that I had slightly lower than average hearing for a man my age, a little more pronounced in the left ear. For the last 5 years or so, I used all sorts of hardware store disposable ear plugs (never wore them during the first 25 years of riding). I always looked for the highest density foam I could find, the kind rated for 30-32 dB.

I talked with the audiologist about ear plugs and she recommended a much lower density, but custom moulded ear plug. I was skeptical because the ones she was recommending were only rated at 23 dB. Her reasoning made sense, yet I was still hesitant. This was her argument: for motorcycling, the idea is not to block out the sound, rather, block out the frequencies that cause the damage (the frequencies of the wind noise) and to reduce the intensity enough to prevent damage. Turns out that almost any ear plug will reduce the intensity sufficiently to prevent damage to the ear drum. And being a custom made ear plug, it will fit properly, which goes a long way to ensure your ear drums are protected.

So, $60 later, I had a custom set of 23 dB silicone ear plugs. They had every colour under the rainbow, so I chose something bright -- easy to spot of if you drop it in the dirt. They will also last a very long time. Easy to clean. I've also worn them for sleeping. The fact that they fit perfectly is the biggest bonus. I can wear them for 24 hours straight and not feel any discomfort. Also, because they're only rated at 23 dB, I have no trouble hearing my Scala Rider bluetooth headset, even when cruising at highway speeds, wether talking with a fellow rider, listening to a podcast, or talking on the phone.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #61342
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Looking for a regular side stand, if you have lowered your bike and still have your regular stand, and want to part with it, or would like to trade for a short stand? Not sure how we would do that, unless you have a center stand you can use till we trade, LOL
I looked and I still have mine. It's not a garage queen, but it can be had. Check your PM's.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #61343
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
\I have worn earplugs every working day for the last 12 years and highly recommend 3M 1100's for anyone who finds earplugs uncomfortable. The only disposable plug that I can wear for more that 2 hours at a time. The only thing better are my custom molds. But the 3M's work better with a helmet on.

Ear Plugs are kind of personal.
I like these.
http://www.uline.com/BL_1071/Laser-Lite-Ear-Plugs

Buy the box of 200 and pass 'em out to all your friends. The Howard Leight
Laser Lights are very soft, yet damp out quite well ... if you get them in far enough.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #61344
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Bike wouldn't start this morning. Not even a click. This was of course when I was already running late for work and fully suited up in rain gear. Had to take the car. There were a couple of times over the last couple of weeks when it would happen, but I assumed it was my half broken start button (tore it out of the housing on a hill climb crash). I took the switch housing apart and tested both kill switch and start button for continuity and they were fine. Next I checked the fuses. They were fine. Battery was at 12.8V, so that wasn't it. Thought about the kickstand switch, but that should only affect it in gear, but I still tried jumping the leads in the plug just in case. Thought it might be something that could take a while to fix, so I took a break and put the license plate back on my WR400 so I could at least ride it for the next couple days if I had to. Figured I would come on here and ask for some tips, but checked Google first. Sure enough, something obvious that I had not thought to check yet. The clutch switch. Went outside and jumped the leads under the headlight fairing and it fired right up. The DR needs some attention anyway, so I think I'll disconnect the rest of the sensors so I don't have one of these things fail in an inconvenient spot.

tl;dr, Clutch switch failed.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #61345
Cpl.Steve
swilkins

Oddometer: 8
test

test message
Cpl.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #61346
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl.Steve View Post
test message
PASS
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #61347
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Flea market post selling:Mikuni BST40ss carb for DR650

selling:Mikuni BST40ss carb for DR650
Mikuni BST40ss carb

This carb is off my 2011 with 1900 miles I just upgraded to a TM40 pumper.
My set up is FMF powerbomb header-FMF Q4 muffler-open air box with this carb I was getting 45 to 50 mpg.
This carb has a Procycle jet kit and will include the kit and air box cutout stencil and the nearly new throttle cables and breather hose and filter.
What a deal for $150. includes shipping to lower 48.Paul
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #61348
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,077
Quote:
\

Those are the ones I use for everything I do that needs hear protection.Can be had a Northern Tool in huge boxes for $10 or $12,if the economy hasn't sent the price to visit the moon.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #61349
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
Bike wouldn't start this morning. Not even a click. This was of course when I was already running late for work and fully suited up in rain gear. Had to take the car. There were a couple of times over the last couple of weeks when it would happen, but I assumed it was my half broken start button (tore it out of the housing on a hill climb crash). I took the switch housing apart and tested both kill switch and start button for continuity and they were fine. Next I checked the fuses. They were fine. Battery was at 12.8V, so that wasn't it. Thought about the kickstand switch, but that should only affect it in gear, but I still tried jumping the leads in the plug just in case. Thought it might be something that could take a while to fix, so I took a break and put the license plate back on my WR400 so I could at least ride it for the next couple days if I had to. Figured I would come on here and ask for some tips, but checked Google first. Sure enough, something obvious that I had not thought to check yet. The clutch switch. Went outside and jumped the leads under the headlight fairing and it fired right up. The DR needs some attention anyway, so I think I'll disconnect the rest of the sensors so I don't have one of these things fail in an inconvenient spot.

tl;dr, Clutch switch failed.
Google is your friend,

I need to remember that more often. One day my Valkyrie had the same problem, not even a click. Jumped the starter solenoid, started right up, so I knew the problem was electrical and not starter or ignition electrical. Three hours later, after inspecting/cleaning the clutch and sidestand lockouts and inspecting all the wiring, I go to Google. Right away, I read how to fix the starter switch contacts, a 15 minute job. I had looked at the starter switch earlier, but did not see what was wrong.

Google is my friend.

Lex
Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #61350
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,791
earplugs

We use these moldable silicone plugs made for swimming:

Fit like custom, stay in fine, and when they get dirty, toss them and start again.