Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #61336
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
IRC has a 130/80/17 HD tube thats rubber. I had one recently till a long nail sunk into it.

But, I bet many guys also run the 130/80/18 or 140/80/18 size, like the Kenda HD's.

IRC's get back ordered this time a year, I do run a 17" tube when I can get one. I went through 4 tubes this year already, all rear ones. I need to restock soon.
How do you feel about reusing a tube that has no problem, just changing tires. I have a mefo I took off on count of a flat from a nail and was going to start reusing it on one of my sets of wheels that has a stock deathwing in need of replacement.
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #61337
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Anyone notice their TM40 weeping gas out the overflow tubes. It's not much, and I'm thinking part of the cause is my short kickstand. If I lean the bike over on the stand to get the rear wheel off the ground, I can get a small puddle under the bike.

I also hit reserve on the highway today, pulled over and got gas, checked my mileage, only got 40 mpg, last tank was around 46.

The carb is setup like procycle sends it out, air box cut per procycle, stock air filter, and GSXR exhaust. I been trying to remember to turn off the petcock on the IMS tank and I don't see any signs of gas in my oil.

Some have said to drop the needle one slot, but I'm wondering if I should put a 145 main jet in.
Reset your float level and check and clean the float needle ASAP. A little weep is normal, puddles are not! Don't ignore it.

I get 50 to 54 mpg with the needle at 3 and a 150 main. A 145 will be very lean on the top end if your air box is cut and your exhausted properly with a non-anchor muffler. You may want to verify your needle setting.

Remember, main jets don't matter as much as needle position and float height! I've thought about going to a 155, I would never go to a 145 with the cut air box and GSXR exhaust. That would be too lean say at 70 mph...

sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #61338
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The main jet doesn't have much effect on fuel economy unless you are riding around with the throttle pinned wide open. Experiment with the needle height first. Individual bikes differ in jetting requirement so some tuning may be required.

Thanks, I'm not running it pinned LOL, so I guess I'll drop the needle one position
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #61339
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
How do you feel about reusing a tube that has no problem, just changing tires. I have a mefo I took off on count of a flat from a nail and was going to start reusing it on one of my sets of wheels that has a stock deathwing in need of replacement.
I reuse tubes if I know they aren't to old, I air them up first to see if there are any questionable areas or leaks. I just reused my rear, no problems
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #61340
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:

I look them over and keep on using them till something is wrong usually. My original front stayed in till last year, so about 5 years and 4 tires. I changed it to a HD tube for that warm and fuzzy feeling. The original is my spare now.

My tubes usually die from tire spoons ie... me being too rough when I'm tired. Nails would take second place.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #61341
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Reset your float level and check and clean the float needle ASAP. A little weep is normal, puddles are not! Don't ignore it.

I get 50 to 54 mpg with the needle at 3 and a 150 main. A 145 will be very lean on the top end if your air box is cut and your exhausted properly with a non-anchor muffler. You may want to verify your needle setting.

Remember, main jets don't matter as much as needle position and float height! I've thought about going to a 155, I would never go to a 145 with the cut air box and GSXR exhaust. That would be too lean say at 70 mph...

Ok, great, and FYI the puddle is only if I tip the bike over on the stand, so it's pretty much sideways.

I don't have a good way to measure the float, guess I need to get something
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #61342
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
My tubes usually die from tire spoons ie... me being too rough when I'm tired.

^^^^^^^ I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #61343
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Ok, great, and FYI the puddle is only if I tip the bike over on the stand, so it's pretty much sideways.

I don't have a good way to measure the float, guess I need to get something
Harbor Freight ...

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #61344
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 193
Exhaust plug bolts ???

2007 DR 650. 7000 miles. Stock exhaust has two "clean out" bolts on the bottom. They turn about 1/2 rotation then tighten up again.

Thinking of using penetrating oil overnight, and again in the AM, and then forcing them loose tomorrow night. Do not need another expense either.

Thought about just ignoring them, but then why did Suzuki put them on ???

Please advise.
thx
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #61345
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
2007 DR 650. 7000 miles. Stock exhaust has two "clean out" bolts on the bottom. They turn about 1/2 rotation then tighten up again.

Thinking of using penetrating oil overnight, and again in the AM, and then forcing them loose tomorrow night. Do not need another expense either.

Thought about just ignoring them, but then why did Suzuki put them on ???

Please advise.
thx
I would ignore them, but if you must mess with them, do like you said and use the oil, but do it for a couple days, and if they don't want to come out, don't fix it if it aint broke
Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #61346
Nibis
Where to next?

Well, I moved the clip on the need to the number 2 slot, that was easy, better than a CV carb. We will see how that works out with the next tank. Wish I could take it out now to see how she runs, but it's been raining and I'm watching the kids while my hottie is at college
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #61347
shu

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
I re-use good tubes for 2 tire changes. I figure it's no big deal for a tube to go 10-15,000 miles. If it's still good after 2 tires I'll carry it as a spare.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #61348
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
Thanks guys. It's the Procycle retainer plate that I still have in my bag. I haven't even taken the cover off to see what's up in there. Daylight now so that's my first order of business. The mech. must have used a c-clip or ? I'll report back, hopefully with pics.

I learn a little more about this bike every day thanks to the collective knowledge of fellow DRers.

Grifter ... I'm in Puerto Madryn on my way south to where else - Ushuaia. Been on the road almost 6 months at this point. Fun? I can't begin to describe hahaha.
Here are a couple of pics of the 14T sprocket installed without the Procycle spacer. I don't even know what that o-ring type thing is but it's obvious a spacer is required.

Re-installed the original 15T and all's well again except it's not as much fun to drive in the city.

H'mm, something's changed. I don't even see an option to add a picture file here so I guess I'll call it a day. Thanks again to those who replied.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #61349
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
I posted this on another forum too but here its goes.

The rear brake rotor is rubbing against the caliper bracket. I am running a 150 in the rear.
It doesnt rub if I keep the axle nut loose, only when I tighten a bit, it starts rubbing. So I wanted to leave it a little loosebut the problem is, when I do that, there is a horizontal "play" in the whole tire for about half to 3/4 of a centimeter. Is that okay?

What do I do?? Is this a common problem or should I post pics for better understanding?
HEY!! When you ask a question, we'd like to know what fixed it.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #61350
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hope the weather holds for you. Getting late for Ushuaia, no? Such a great area, worth exploring, especially the Chilean side! Have fun, ride safe!
Thanks ADV G. Yes, it is a tad late to be running for Ushuaia but that's just the way things have unfolded. The weather so far has been great but then again I've got another two days before I get there and the forecast sucks. Such is life.

Planning on heading north up the Chilean side but everything's fluid in my "plans".

cheers