Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #61741
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
My question is a comfortable seat for the DR allow one with back pain to ride it with little or no pain?
Thanks,
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I guess a lot depends on the type of backpain. My back is a wreck: Broke my tailbone years ago which causes me pain if I sit on it too much (which makes me slump a lot), and my lower back hurts about every other day (especially when I slump a lot). I couldn't ride the stock seat more then 60 miles and I would be DONE! I have the Corbin and love it. As long as I keep good posture my back doesn't hurt and I have never had a problem with my tailbone.
Another vote for the Corbin. I've seen several Corbin seats on DR650's and not all are the same. Mine is leather covered and quite firm. Other have a waffle pattern and are a bit softer than mine. Corbin seats are heavy. IMHO, a good thing. Less vibes, less fatigue. No idea how it would affect your back ... but a slight forward lean can help the lower back.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #61742
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Another vote for the Corbin. I've seen several Corbin seats on DR650's and not all are the same. Mine is leather covered and quite firm. Other have a waffle pattern and are a bit softer than mine. Corbin seats are heavy. IMHO, a good thing. Less vibes, less fatigue. No idea how it would affect your back ... but a slight forward lean can help the lower back.
I have the waffle pattern from Procycle and it seems really firm to me. Now you make me want to compare it to another! I know when I got it I felt it and thought "this is no better; maybe worse then stock" but one ride proved that wrong. I think the foam is like a firm Temporpedic (spell?) Bed and gives a lot of support.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #61743
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by boother View Post
I find a good back protector with a wide waist belt helps with support and posture. Not to mention it helps protect your back. I use an AlpineStars bionic one. no more slouching, good support and no more pain.

Does it help hold your gut in too? That wouldn't hurt me any with the ladies! LOL
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #61744
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
My back sucks, I have the Corbin custom on mine. Its hard and wide. Forward lean helps greatly. When I ride sport touring bikes like my old FJR my back feels much better.

I've also learned to use my legs more and loft my but off the seat or stand when crossing even a speed bump. I think the Sargent saddle has better foam, its firm but not harsh. Its hard to say really, I just know my Corbin tall seat has not softened one bit over years of use. Its a supportive seat, mine is vinyl covered and built up for my tall self. They asked me how much I weighed too, so maybe Corbin has different foam densities? I don't know for sure.

Maybe some day I'll try a Sargent long term, that is if my Corbin ever wears out...
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #61745
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Don't get me wrong, what I meant by GS wanna be is that I'll use it the same way. No goat tracks or motocross tricks, just exploring fire roads and puttering around dirt roads in the national parks around here. Plus a 1000 mile day every now and then. one of my big things is not HAVING to stop. I want to stop when I want to, not when a puny gas tank tells me to.
An Iron Butt guy eh? I find the quality of the roads ... and the destinations to be more important than their length.

Once you get on dirt you'll discover a new world you never new existed on street bikes or a GS. 100 miles could take you all day. But you'll be smiling the whole time. If you develop the skills to exploit what the DR650 can do and you can ride where it's capable of going ... it may surprise you.

From stock it needs some help ... but costs a pittance compared to what the GS / KTM gang spend on their bikes.

You sound like a candidate for the 8. something gallon Safari fuel tank. Not cheap, but the biggest tank out there for the DR650. If bike is set up right, should give 400 mile PLUS range. (I don't own one ... so these figures may be a bit off)

Next up for LD riding is a better seat. Lots of info/opinions here on seats ... most agree the stock seat has to go. A one hour seat for some.

Next? HID lights, suspension and that's about it ... to start with.

I'd resist the temptation to turn your DR into wanna be GS1200 Adventure, decked out with $5000 worth of Tourtech Bling Gold Wing Luxo yacht.
I'd go lean and mean. Skip big shield, fancy dash work, Aux lights, hard bags, pannier bags and hundreds of other "questionable" farkels that clutter, complicate and weigh down the DR650.

Ride it a few months, learn it. By then you'll know the weak areas and where to spend your money ... or sell it off and go back to your GS!?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 09:21 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #61746
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
300 miles with a full Safari, that's some gas hog DR650. I get around 420 to 450 miles out of mine. But, the sucker holds more than 7 gallons. :eek:

When it was new it held 8, now its over 9. Its probably the ethanol swelling it. :

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #61747
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Just got this all hooked and wired up. Now I'll only get lost when I want too. Diggin' it.

Used this RAM mount. Maybe the 5th RAM piece I've had (I mounted this to an older bar mount from RAM I had floating about). Love their stuff. The GPS is going NOWHERE. Super tight and secure.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #61748
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
No goat tracks or MX tricks, the DR is almost perfect. Not a problem, IMS and Acerbis both make 5 gallon tanks for the DR.

This idea was stolen from Smilin Jack. The pic doesn't show the three bungees that secure the tank to its shelf.

Did a similar thing for my Morocco trip 5lt steel jerry can, now have a IMS
Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #61749
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
Dont mean to slide too far off DR topics, but regarding lower back pain. I got off my Corbin saddled DR yesterday after a mere 100 miles and still suffer from lower back pain. It sucks. Riding my GSA is even worse. I have one of these on order. I tried the inversion table but just could not stand being upside down and the blood rushing to my head. So hopefully this will be the ticket.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #61750
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
My first thought is steering head bearings.
Have you checked them out closely?
Just turning the bars back and forth with no weight on the front wheel may be enough to feel any tiny amount of uneven movement. But it would be better to pull the top triple clamp and examine, and then and re-grease them. Of course when putting it back together make sure they are adjusted for correct tension.

Next, have you only used one front tire?
If so, see if you can find a local DR rider who will be willing to let you put his front wheel on your bike for a test ride. Or, get another front tire and mount it on your wheel. A defective tire can cause weird handling but look fine visually. Tires are the connection to the ground so any imperfection in them may cause handling problems even though they are new or look excellent.

That not it? then check:
Front wheel bearings
Rear wheel bearings
Swing arm bearings
Rear tire...

Remember the back of the bike can cause steering problems at speed if there is any play that allows the rear wheel to move out of alignment with the front wheel. The tail wagging the dog. Or the trailer driving the car.

More serious reason could be a bent frame or swingarm.
Not bent enough to see, just that the wheels are not aligned vertically.
I have bought several damaged bikes at insurance auctions and most have a slight twist in the frame that you can see when looking head on front or rear to see that the wheels are not vertically aligned. That will cause weaving and corner transition instability at speed.
I know that most of the buyers at auction just replace the damaged parts & plastic and maybe a bit of paint and then sell the bike to an unsuspecting rider. If the bike now has a reconstructed title (req'd here) then the seller will have to admit he replaced some damaged parts but he may not know or will not tell if the frame is tweaked.
Only one bike I have bought at auction had obvious frame damage.
You forgot the obvious: It's the windshield, acting like a fishing lure and wobbling in the airstream. I had a bar-mounted windshield on a street bike 30 years ago that did exactly that. Took it off and the wobble went away.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #61751
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You forgot the obvious: It's the windshield, acting like a fishing lure and wobbling in the airstream. I had a bar-mounted windshield on a street bike 30 years ago that did exactly that. Took it off and the wobble went away.
I tried a small one on my DR. Not sure why I talked myself into it, other then I thought it looked sporty. It was the most finicky thing I ever tried. I must have tried a thousand different angles. It went from vibrating my head so bad I could hardly focus to no better then not having one. And it did seem to add an odd handling dynamic, at higher speeds, to what I consider a pretty darn good canyon bike. The fishing lure thing sounds about right, although it didn't wobble

More power to those of you that have found one that fits your needs. Maybe if my riding needs were different (like a lot of cold weather riding) I would consider trying some other styles a little more, but for now I am pretty happy without one.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #61752
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I tried a small one on my DR. Not sure why I talked myself into it, other then I thought it looked sporty. It was the most finicky thing I ever tried. I must have tried a thousand different angles. It went from vibrating my head so bad I could hardly focus to no better then not having one. And it did seem to add an odd handling dynamic, at higher speeds, to what I consider a pretty darn good canyon bike. The fishing lure thing sounds about right, although it didn't wobble

More power to those of you that have found one that fits your needs. Maybe if my riding needs were different (like a lot of cold weather riding) I would consider trying some other styles a little more, but for now I am pretty happy without one.

I ride without a windshield either, even in the Maine fall and spring weather, when I ride in the 20s and 30s, I don't see the need or want the hassle of a windshield. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth. Plus, IMO, they are ugly. But, I am also one of those wackos that thinks the stock seat is fine
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #61753
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I ride without a windshield either, even in the Maine fall and spring weather, when I ride in the 20s and 30s, I don't see the need or want the hassle of a windshield. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth. Plus, IMO, they are ugly. But, I am also one of those wackos that thinks the stock seat is fine
+1. On my 91 DR I never felt like I needed a shield. I just picked up a new 2011 DR650 yesterday and rode 125 miles on the inaugural ride. 30 on dirt and the rest on backroads and the slab. Going 80+ on the freeway was a breeze without a windshield. Compared to my old Triumph Speed Triple, which was a beast, I could hang on easily and not get tired or suffer from too much wind blast. I might save up for a Britannia Composite Lynx fairing but that is way down the road and a windshield is one thing I happily wont be buying until then. No need at all IMO. More money for different farkles.

P.S. Ill post pics of the new DR soon.
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #61754
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Big boo boo

I will spear you the story why I put 3 inch risers on my bars but I did. I unhooked all tied down cables upfront that were connected to my bars to relieve some tension. i pulled on all of them and it gave 3 inches of space so I thought i was good. I put the risers on and clamped it down. The only tight area was the left side cables that are pinched against the front frame just below the tank. When i turned all the way right it got real tight so i placed my bars an inch forward to give more slack.

Well can any one guess what happened next?

I go to turn on the bike with the ignition key and nothing comes on no lights just nothing.

Now i just exhausted all my wife approved funds to modify this bike and I am terrified i need to get a pro to fix wiring.

Can anyone help this Idiot out our have any ideas what could of happened?

I am just freaking out as I was so excited to ride today!!

Boulder
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #61755
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
+1. On my 91 DR I never felt like I needed a shield. I just picked up a new 2011 DR650 yesterday and rode 125 miles on the inaugural ride. 30 on dirt and the rest on backroads and the slab. Going 80+ on the freeway was a breeze without a windshield. Compared to my old Triumph Speed Triple, which was a beast, I could hang on easily and not get tired or suffer from too much wind blast. I might save up for a Britannia Composite Lynx fairing but that is way down the road and a windshield is one thing I happily wont be buying until then. No need at all IMO. More money for different farkles.

P.S. Ill post pics of the new DR soon.
You know you have a damn good point there. I recall never having a windshield on my 85 wide-glide Harley back in the day, and I could care less if I had one or not. Didn't bother me as I thought that is how Motorcycles suppose to feel with full wind in your face.. Unfortunately I didn't wear helmets back then because i thought i was cool. Good thing I am still alive. And no longer cool..

Just a side note i was 22 years old so concerning windshields i wonder if that should be taken into consideration. Back then I could have ridden through a flock of seagulls and would of thought it was awesome getting hit by them..So I guess if your good with no windshield then good for you one less dime to spend.

Congrats on your second bike!!
Boulder