ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #61741
boother
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Really, really flat Indiana
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I guess a lot depends on the type of backpain. My back is a wreck: Broke my tailbone years ago which causes me pain if I sit on it too much (which makes me slump a lot), and my lower back hurts about every other day (especially when I slump a lot). I couldn't ride the stock seat more then 60 miles and I would be DONE! I have the Corbin and love it. As long as I keep good posture my back doesn't hurt and I have never had a problem with my tailbone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr View Post
I have a blown out back with plates & screws so sympathize.

I use a Sargent seat, this helps the butt. To help the rest you need to concentrate on your posture and core strength. Also check handlebar height in relation to your size. You want your forearms to be parallel with the ground with out alot of forward lean. Having the correct height for your frame will help you maintain good posture.
I find a good back protector with a wide waist belt helps with support and posture. Not to mention it helps protect your back. I use an AlpineStars bionic one. no more slouching, good support and no more pain.

__________________
Famous last words..."Hold my beer and watch this!"
boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #61742
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Don't get me wrong, what I meant by GS wanna be is that I'll use it the same way. No goat tracks or motocross tricks, just exploring fire roads and puttering around dirt roads in the national parks around here. Plus a 1000 mile day every now and then. one of my big things is not HAVING to stop. I want to stop when I want to, not when a puny gas tank tells me to.
No goat tracks or MX tricks, the DR is almost perfect. Not a problem, IMS and Acerbis both make 5 gallon tanks for the DR.

This idea was stolen from Smilin Jack. The pic doesn't show the three bungees that secure the tank to its shelf.

__________________
2004 DR650: 60,466 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #61743
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer
 
basketcase's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Roll Tide Central...
Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
So I have put about 11,000 miles on my DR with a stock seat (with an Alaska sheep skin cover). I threw my back out today and have a feeling that the stock seat added to my problem. My question is not if a seat upgrade for the DR is a good thing. I know that it is.
My question is a comfortable seat for the DR allow one with back pain to ride it with little or no pain?
Thanks,
J
Weeellll .... now that the injury is done it's hard to say how much an aftermarket seat might help.

That said, I have the Sargeant and the wide, flat seat pan puts both my "cheeks" squarely on the platform. If there is value in having the alignment of your spine correct due to firm sit bone placement then yes, an aftermarket seat might just be the ticket.

I do know that after riding the DR 5,000 miles in three weeks in July 2010 that the Sargent was worth every penny I spent.
__________________
'00 R1100RT
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #61744
vnsfxr
BornAgainDirtyRider
 
vnsfxr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Lake County California
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by boother View Post
I find a good back protector with a wide waist belt helps with support and posture. Not to mention it helps protect your back. I use an AlpineStars bionic one. no more slouching, good support and no more pain.

Forgot to mention I use this to help the lower back, giving it support http://www.whitehorsegear.com/back-a...k-support-belt and yes it does help. Also doubles as a kidney belt
__________________
Socialism – Tax dollars at work for those who don’t
vnsfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #61745
Toxic Mark
Adventurer
 
Toxic Mark's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
My first thought is steering head bearings.
Have you checked them out closely?

Next, have you only used one front tire?

That not it? then check:
Front wheel bearings
Rear wheel bearings
Swing arm bearings
Rear tire...

Remember the back of the bike can cause steering problems at speed if there is any play that allows the rear wheel to move out of alignment with the front wheel. The tail wagging the dog. Or the trailer driving the car.

More serious reason could be a bent frame or swingarm.
.

I have not gone through the bike and ensured all bearings are properly greased yet, including the steering head. However the bike has only 500 miles on it. Also, I had the OEM tires on it previously. They tracked rain grooves a bit, but didn't wobble. With the Kenda BBs as soon as I hit 65 the handlebars get really touchy. The slightest edge trap on the road and the handlebars start to oscillate in a tank slapper motion. I've been running them at above 25 psi on pavement. Starting to sound like that's too high. I'm 6'2" but skinny. I'll post a pic of my rig in a sec.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #61746
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
One of the reasons I got a DR650 was the Safari tank. I also like GSA's and RT's. I think my Honda ST was 7.4 gallons or so. My 9 plus gallon Safari tank has those bikes beat though. I don't think my previous bikes could go 450 miles on one fill.

I like going out in the middle on no where and getting lost far from civilization.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #61747
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer
 
Rugby4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate SC (GSP area)
Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
One of the reasons I got a DR650 was the Safari tank. I also like GSA's and RT's. I think my Honda ST was 7.4 gallons or so. My 9 plus gallon Safari tank has those bikes beat though. I don't think my previous bikes could go 450 miles on one fill.

I like going out in the middle on no where and getting lost far from civilization.
I know what you mean. one of the bikes I wish I still had was a '75 BMW R60/6 with a 9.5 gal Hella tank. 450 miles between fill-ups. I would do 1000 mile days with only 2 gas stops and still have enough gas for 2 weeks of commuting.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #61748
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Mark View Post
I have not gone through the bike and ensured all bearings are properly greased yet, including the steering head. However the bike has only 500 miles on it. Also, I had the OEM tires on it previously. They tracked rain grooves a bit, but didn't wobble. With the Kenda BBs as soon as I hit 65 the handlebars get really touchy. The slightest edge trap on the road and the handlebars start to oscillate in a tank slapper motion. I've been running them at above 25 psi on pavement. Starting to sound like that's too high. I'm 6'2" but skinny. I'll post a pic of my rig in a sec.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Its the tires.

Even TKC-80's wobble at speed on pavement and they are pretty tame as far as knobbies go. TKC-80's have the best road manors of the knobby like tires I've tried.

I gave up on knobs since I ride too much high speed stuff on pavement. I think the Shinko 700 is as aggressive as I can go and still blast down interstates at 75 mph with no wobble loaded up with camping gear. I like cheap tires.

We are talking Kenda Big Blocks here, that ain't no mild pavement stomper. the 60/40 cracks me up. Its a 50/50 at least.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 08:31 PM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #61749
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
My question is a comfortable seat for the DR allow one with back pain to ride it with little or no pain?
Thanks,
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I guess a lot depends on the type of backpain. My back is a wreck: Broke my tailbone years ago which causes me pain if I sit on it too much (which makes me slump a lot), and my lower back hurts about every other day (especially when I slump a lot). I couldn't ride the stock seat more then 60 miles and I would be DONE! I have the Corbin and love it. As long as I keep good posture my back doesn't hurt and I have never had a problem with my tailbone.
Another vote for the Corbin. I've seen several Corbin seats on DR650's and not all are the same. Mine is leather covered and quite firm. Other have a waffle pattern and are a bit softer than mine. Corbin seats are heavy. IMHO, a good thing. Less vibes, less fatigue. No idea how it would affect your back ... but a slight forward lean can help the lower back.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #61750
Mongle
Knuckle dragger
 
Mongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina Y'all
Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Another vote for the Corbin. I've seen several Corbin seats on DR650's and not all are the same. Mine is leather covered and quite firm. Other have a waffle pattern and are a bit softer than mine. Corbin seats are heavy. IMHO, a good thing. Less vibes, less fatigue. No idea how it would affect your back ... but a slight forward lean can help the lower back.
I have the waffle pattern from Procycle and it seems really firm to me. Now you make me want to compare it to another! I know when I got it I felt it and thought "this is no better; maybe worse then stock" but one ride proved that wrong. I think the foam is like a firm Temporpedic (spell?) Bed and gives a lot of support.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #61751
Mongle
Knuckle dragger
 
Mongle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina Y'all
Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by boother View Post
I find a good back protector with a wide waist belt helps with support and posture. Not to mention it helps protect your back. I use an AlpineStars bionic one. no more slouching, good support and no more pain.

Does it help hold your gut in too? That wouldn't hurt me any with the ladies! LOL
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #61752
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
My back sucks, I have the Corbin custom on mine. Its hard and wide. Forward lean helps greatly. When I ride sport touring bikes like my old FJR my back feels much better.

I've also learned to use my legs more and loft my but off the seat or stand when crossing even a speed bump. I think the Sargent saddle has better foam, its firm but not harsh. Its hard to say really, I just know my Corbin tall seat has not softened one bit over years of use. Its a supportive seat, mine is vinyl covered and built up for my tall self. They asked me how much I weighed too, so maybe Corbin has different foam densities? I don't know for sure.

Maybe some day I'll try a Sargent long term, that is if my Corbin ever wears out...
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #61753
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Don't get me wrong, what I meant by GS wanna be is that I'll use it the same way. No goat tracks or motocross tricks, just exploring fire roads and puttering around dirt roads in the national parks around here. Plus a 1000 mile day every now and then. one of my big things is not HAVING to stop. I want to stop when I want to, not when a puny gas tank tells me to.
An Iron Butt guy eh? I find the quality of the roads ... and the destinations to be more important than their length.

Once you get on dirt you'll discover a new world you never new existed on street bikes or a GS. 100 miles could take you all day. But you'll be smiling the whole time. If you develop the skills to exploit what the DR650 can do and you can ride where it's capable of going ... it may surprise you.

From stock it needs some help ... but costs a pittance compared to what the GS / KTM gang spend on their bikes.

You sound like a candidate for the 8. something gallon Safari fuel tank. Not cheap, but the biggest tank out there for the DR650. If bike is set up right, should give 400 mile PLUS range. (I don't own one ... so these figures may be a bit off)

Next up for LD riding is a better seat. Lots of info/opinions here on seats ... most agree the stock seat has to go. A one hour seat for some.

Next? HID lights, suspension and that's about it ... to start with.

I'd resist the temptation to turn your DR into wanna be GS1200 Adventure, decked out with $5000 worth of Tourtech Bling Gold Wing Luxo yacht.
I'd go lean and mean. Skip big shield, fancy dash work, Aux lights, hard bags, pannier bags and hundreds of other "questionable" farkels that clutter, complicate and weigh down the DR650.

Ride it a few months, learn it. By then you'll know the weak areas and where to spend your money ... or sell it off and go back to your GS!?

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 09:21 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #61754
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
300 miles with a full Safari, that's some gas hog DR650. I get around 420 to 450 miles out of mine. But, the sucker holds more than 7 gallons. :eek:

When it was new it held 8, now its over 9. Its probably the ethanol swelling it. :

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #61755
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....
 
goodcat8's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 2,964
Just got this all hooked and wired up. Now I'll only get lost when I want too. Diggin' it.





Used this RAM mount. Maybe the 5th RAM piece I've had (I mounted this to an older bar mount from RAM I had floating about). Love their stuff. The GPS is going NOWHERE. Super tight and secure.

__________________
2014 Triumph Scrambler
Prior: 3rd Battalion - 6th Marines - 2nd Marine Division - Lima Company - 2nd Platoon - 0311
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014