Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #61741
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
My first thought is steering head bearings.
Have you checked them out closely?
Just turning the bars back and forth with no weight on the front wheel may be enough to feel any tiny amount of uneven movement. But it would be better to pull the top triple clamp and examine, and then and re-grease them. Of course when putting it back together make sure they are adjusted for correct tension.

Next, have you only used one front tire?
If so, see if you can find a local DR rider who will be willing to let you put his front wheel on your bike for a test ride. Or, get another front tire and mount it on your wheel. A defective tire can cause weird handling but look fine visually. Tires are the connection to the ground so any imperfection in them may cause handling problems even though they are new or look excellent.

That not it? then check:
Front wheel bearings
Rear wheel bearings
Swing arm bearings
Rear tire...

Remember the back of the bike can cause steering problems at speed if there is any play that allows the rear wheel to move out of alignment with the front wheel. The tail wagging the dog. Or the trailer driving the car.

More serious reason could be a bent frame or swingarm.
Not bent enough to see, just that the wheels are not aligned vertically.
I have bought several damaged bikes at insurance auctions and most have a slight twist in the frame that you can see when looking head on front or rear to see that the wheels are not vertically aligned. That will cause weaving and corner transition instability at speed.
I know that most of the buyers at auction just replace the damaged parts & plastic and maybe a bit of paint and then sell the bike to an unsuspecting rider. If the bike now has a reconstructed title (req'd here) then the seller will have to admit he replaced some damaged parts but he may not know or will not tell if the frame is tweaked.
Only one bike I have bought at auction had obvious frame damage.
You forgot the obvious: It's the windshield, acting like a fishing lure and wobbling in the airstream. I had a bar-mounted windshield on a street bike 30 years ago that did exactly that. Took it off and the wobble went away.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #61742
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You forgot the obvious: It's the windshield, acting like a fishing lure and wobbling in the airstream. I had a bar-mounted windshield on a street bike 30 years ago that did exactly that. Took it off and the wobble went away.
I tried a small one on my DR. Not sure why I talked myself into it, other then I thought it looked sporty. It was the most finicky thing I ever tried. I must have tried a thousand different angles. It went from vibrating my head so bad I could hardly focus to no better then not having one. And it did seem to add an odd handling dynamic, at higher speeds, to what I consider a pretty darn good canyon bike. The fishing lure thing sounds about right, although it didn't wobble

More power to those of you that have found one that fits your needs. Maybe if my riding needs were different (like a lot of cold weather riding) I would consider trying some other styles a little more, but for now I am pretty happy without one.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #61743
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I tried a small one on my DR. Not sure why I talked myself into it, other then I thought it looked sporty. It was the most finicky thing I ever tried. I must have tried a thousand different angles. It went from vibrating my head so bad I could hardly focus to no better then not having one. And it did seem to add an odd handling dynamic, at higher speeds, to what I consider a pretty darn good canyon bike. The fishing lure thing sounds about right, although it didn't wobble

More power to those of you that have found one that fits your needs. Maybe if my riding needs were different (like a lot of cold weather riding) I would consider trying some other styles a little more, but for now I am pretty happy without one.

I ride without a windshield either, even in the Maine fall and spring weather, when I ride in the 20s and 30s, I don't see the need or want the hassle of a windshield. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth. Plus, IMO, they are ugly. But, I am also one of those wackos that thinks the stock seat is fine
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #61744
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I ride without a windshield either, even in the Maine fall and spring weather, when I ride in the 20s and 30s, I don't see the need or want the hassle of a windshield. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth. Plus, IMO, they are ugly. But, I am also one of those wackos that thinks the stock seat is fine
+1. On my 91 DR I never felt like I needed a shield. I just picked up a new 2011 DR650 yesterday and rode 125 miles on the inaugural ride. 30 on dirt and the rest on backroads and the slab. Going 80+ on the freeway was a breeze without a windshield. Compared to my old Triumph Speed Triple, which was a beast, I could hang on easily and not get tired or suffer from too much wind blast. I might save up for a Britannia Composite Lynx fairing but that is way down the road and a windshield is one thing I happily wont be buying until then. No need at all IMO. More money for different farkles.

P.S. Ill post pics of the new DR soon.
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #61745
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Big boo boo

I will spear you the story why I put 3 inch risers on my bars but I did. I unhooked all tied down cables upfront that were connected to my bars to relieve some tension. i pulled on all of them and it gave 3 inches of space so I thought i was good. I put the risers on and clamped it down. The only tight area was the left side cables that are pinched against the front frame just below the tank. When i turned all the way right it got real tight so i placed my bars an inch forward to give more slack.

Well can any one guess what happened next?

I go to turn on the bike with the ignition key and nothing comes on no lights just nothing.

Now i just exhausted all my wife approved funds to modify this bike and I am terrified i need to get a pro to fix wiring.

Can anyone help this Idiot out our have any ideas what could of happened?

I am just freaking out as I was so excited to ride today!!

Boulder
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #61746
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
+1. On my 91 DR I never felt like I needed a shield. I just picked up a new 2011 DR650 yesterday and rode 125 miles on the inaugural ride. 30 on dirt and the rest on backroads and the slab. Going 80+ on the freeway was a breeze without a windshield. Compared to my old Triumph Speed Triple, which was a beast, I could hang on easily and not get tired or suffer from too much wind blast. I might save up for a Britannia Composite Lynx fairing but that is way down the road and a windshield is one thing I happily wont be buying until then. No need at all IMO. More money for different farkles.

P.S. Ill post pics of the new DR soon.
You know you have a damn good point there. I recall never having a windshield on my 85 wide-glide Harley back in the day, and I could care less if I had one or not. Didn't bother me as I thought that is how Motorcycles suppose to feel with full wind in your face.. Unfortunately I didn't wear helmets back then because i thought i was cool. Good thing I am still alive. And no longer cool..

Just a side note i was 22 years old so concerning windshields i wonder if that should be taken into consideration. Back then I could have ridden through a flock of seagulls and would of thought it was awesome getting hit by them..So I guess if your good with no windshield then good for you one less dime to spend.

Congrats on your second bike!!
Boulder
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #61747
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

It just seems like people have so many problems with finding a windshield that doesn't throw all of the wind at their head, create instability, etc but maybe they just forget that running NO windshield is an option, maybe a better and cheaper option. Wind hits my chest but I think I would rather have the wind hit my chest and my head then have it ALL redirected at just my head.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #61748
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I will spear you the story why I put 3 inch risers on my bars but I did. I unhooked all tied down cables upfront that were connected to my bars to relieve some tension. i pulled on all of them and it gave 3 inches of space so I thought i was good. I put the risers on and clamped it down. The only tight area was the left side cables that are pinched against the front frame just below the tank. When i turned all the way right it got real tight so i placed my bars an inch forward to give more slack.

Well can any one guess what happened next?

I go to turn on the bike with the ignition key and nothing comes on no lights just nothing.

Now i just exhausted all my wife approved funds to modify this bike and I am terrified i need to get a pro to fix wiring.

Can anyone help this Idiot out our have any ideas what could of happened?

I am just freaking out as I was so excited to ride today!!

Boulder

Follow every switch harness to make sure they havent unplugged from the tension. Then check to see if the steering stop didnt pinch any wires causing a short to ground. Then check your main fuse under the right side cover.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #61749
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Dont mean to slide too far off DR topics, but regarding lower back pain. I got off my Corbin saddled DR yesterday after a mere 100 miles and still suffer from lower back pain. It sucks. Riding my GSA is even worse. I have one of these on order. I tried the inversion table but just could not stand being upside down and the blood rushing to my head. So hopefully this will be the ticket.
how long did you try an inwersion table before you decided you couldn't stand the blood rushing to your head? did you work up to full inwersion slowly? there's a strap on the table you can use, to limit how far over you go, and you can work up to fulll inwersion over a period of time.

the fact is, besides helping your back immensely, full inwersion is also good for your head, your brain, your scalp, your face, etc. all the blood cleans you out well.

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #61750
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
It just seems like people have so many problems with finding a windshield that doesn't throw all of the wind at their head, create instability, etc but maybe they just forget that running NO windshield is an option, maybe a better and cheaper option. Wind hits my chest but I think I would rather have the wind hit my chest and my head then have it ALL redirected at just my head.
In my youth, my first bike (a Yamaha Twin Jet 100!) came with a windshield. Rode it about 3 times with that on and took it off. Never had another windshield until I strung together three 500 mile plus days on the DR and was beat to crap. Got a (real ugly and I don't care) Parabellum. Love it. Love it for long trips, love it for winter commutes. Take it off (four bolts, ten minutes) for summer commutes, riding around the mountains and any kind of dirt. You know, whatever works.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #61751
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I have not had any issues running a S-06 windshield on my DR650. People should just ride more and get a feel for the bike, try different things and see what works. Every rider is unique and has unique wants. If you have aggressive tires with say 36 psi or 20 psi, the bike will handle like crap.

After a few rides I had my shield dialed in perfect and I don't take it off much at all now. I bought it for winter riding and I ended up liking the thing year round. Its just fine at 85 mph, no wobbles.... I would try a 100 mph but, the throttle won't twist far enough.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #61752
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Thanks all for the seat/back issue ideas. I am a massage therapist and have the tools to put my back in a good place. Injured it 9 years ago and have been able to keep it healthy for a while through yoga and exercise. been lazy and now am paying for it. Will have to get a new seat, I am just poor, but I don't want to get rid of the DR. Hmm, almost time to get a bigger, more comfortable old mans bike at age 41??? Hmm not yet.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #61753
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought a lot of old men got the DR650 because it was more comfortable, not the other way around
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #61754
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Ill try without the windscreen and report back. It's a Screens for Bikes windscreen. I already lowered it a bit on the cowl, but that had no effect.

[IMG]file:///H:/Pictures/DR650/ready.JPG[/IMG]
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #61755
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Having trouble getting a picture of my bike up. I'll put one up when I have it figured.
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote