Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #61741
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Dont mean to slide too far off DR topics, but regarding lower back pain. I got off my Corbin saddled DR yesterday after a mere 100 miles and still suffer from lower back pain. It sucks. Riding my GSA is even worse. I have one of these on order. I tried the inversion table but just could not stand being upside down and the blood rushing to my head. So hopefully this will be the ticket.
how long did you try an inwersion table before you decided you couldn't stand the blood rushing to your head? did you work up to full inwersion slowly? there's a strap on the table you can use, to limit how far over you go, and you can work up to fulll inwersion over a period of time.

the fact is, besides helping your back immensely, full inwersion is also good for your head, your brain, your scalp, your face, etc. all the blood cleans you out well.

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #61742
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
It just seems like people have so many problems with finding a windshield that doesn't throw all of the wind at their head, create instability, etc but maybe they just forget that running NO windshield is an option, maybe a better and cheaper option. Wind hits my chest but I think I would rather have the wind hit my chest and my head then have it ALL redirected at just my head.
In my youth, my first bike (a Yamaha Twin Jet 100!) came with a windshield. Rode it about 3 times with that on and took it off. Never had another windshield until I strung together three 500 mile plus days on the DR and was beat to crap. Got a (real ugly and I don't care) Parabellum. Love it. Love it for long trips, love it for winter commutes. Take it off (four bolts, ten minutes) for summer commutes, riding around the mountains and any kind of dirt. You know, whatever works.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #61743
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,457
I have not had any issues running a S-06 windshield on my DR650. People should just ride more and get a feel for the bike, try different things and see what works. Every rider is unique and has unique wants. If you have aggressive tires with say 36 psi or 20 psi, the bike will handle like crap.

After a few rides I had my shield dialed in perfect and I don't take it off much at all now. I bought it for winter riding and I ended up liking the thing year round. Its just fine at 85 mph, no wobbles.... I would try a 100 mph but, the throttle won't twist far enough.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #61744
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Thanks all for the seat/back issue ideas. I am a massage therapist and have the tools to put my back in a good place. Injured it 9 years ago and have been able to keep it healthy for a while through yoga and exercise. been lazy and now am paying for it. Will have to get a new seat, I am just poor, but I don't want to get rid of the DR. Hmm, almost time to get a bigger, more comfortable old mans bike at age 41??? Hmm not yet.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #61745
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I thought a lot of old men got the DR650 because it was more comfortable, not the other way around
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #61746
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You forgot the obvious: It's the windshield, acting like a fishing lure and wobbling in the airstream. I had a bar-mounted windshield on a street bike 30 years ago that did exactly that. Took it off and the wobble went away.
Ill try without the windscreen and report back. It's a Screens for Bikes windscreen. I already lowered it a bit on the cowl, but that had no effect.

[IMG]file:///H:/Pictures/DR650/ready.JPG[/IMG]
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #61747
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Having trouble getting a picture of my bike up. I'll put one up when I have it figured.
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #61748
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Follow every switch harness to make sure they havent unplugged from the tension. Then check to see if the steering stop didnt pinch any wires causing a short to ground. Then check your main fuse under the right side cover.
Thanks will do!!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #61749
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,010
Boulder:
Follow the clutch safety wire from the clutch lever to above the headlight. Someone had his come unplugged.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #61750
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I recently scored a used but unmounted Lynx from an inmate and I like it. I'm 5'8" and my seat is a Suzuki gel. With no windscreen it puts my head in clean air. If/when you purchase one get the HID lights. The low beam is good but the high beam rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
+1. On my 91 DR I never felt like I needed a shield. I just picked up a new 2011 DR650 yesterday and rode 125 miles on the inaugural ride. 30 on dirt and the rest on backroads and the slab. Going 80+ on the freeway was a breeze without a windshield. Compared to my old Triumph Speed Triple, which was a beast, I could hang on easily and not get tired or suffer from too much wind blast. I might save up for a Britannia Composite Lynx fairing but that is way down the road and a windshield is one thing I happily wont be buying until then. No need at all IMO. More money for different farkles.

P.S. Ill post pics of the new DR soon.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #61751
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle007 View Post
I recently scored a used but unmounted Lynx from an inmate and I like it. I'm 5'8" and my seat is a Suzuki gel. With no windscreen it puts my head in clean air. If/when you purchase one get the HID lights. The low beam is good but the high beam rocks.
Thats good to know. I am 6'1" so the air will definitely be clear on my head. I was going to go for the HIDs for sure. If youre spending that much why not spend a little extra for some pretty blue eyes. How do you like the fit? Is it durable and anchored well? The only thing im worried about is smacking that thing with my head if I slip forward off a peg, or if I crash and it rips off the bolts.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #61752
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
Thanks all for the seat/back issue ideas. I am a massage therapist and have the tools to put my back in a good place. Injured it 9 years ago and have been able to keep it healthy for a while through yoga and exercise. been lazy and now am paying for it. Will have to get a new seat, I am just poor, but I don't want to get rid of the DR. Hmm, almost time to get a bigger, more comfortable old mans bike at age 41??? Hmm not yet.
old man at 41? i have 15 years on you, and i don't feel like an old man. and i am sure there's many others on this list older than i am. the only comfort issue i have w/my dr is i need to figure out how to get some bars on it that will have me leaning forward a bit, not so upright. it would be perfect if my torso were a little closer to how it is when i am on my ducati darmah or buell s2.

ymmv,

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 10:50 AM Reason: typo
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #61753
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Back Pain & DR650's

My back was sore after a couple 500 mile rides on my stock DR, so I did mods based on my old R100GSPD.

I did 800+ mile days comfortably on the GS's due to the seating position. The pegs are located more directly under your butt. You're also leaned comfortably forward & slightly weighted on the bars..this is key. The GS's 'saddle' type seat (Corbin is pic'd) with 2" of rear flange supports the lower back, it also has a dished groove for the tailbone. The Krauts just nailed the seating position on these & 12 hour riding days were no problemo. A full Parabellum windscreen made it serene...almost Goldwing like ;)...of course it vas a 450lb panzervagen vich is vhy I now own ze 300lb DR.

The DR is awesome, but it's more focused on offroad. The footpegs are forward, the reach to the bars shorter & lower, the seating position is more upright, good for rippin up fireroads, trails, etc, but there's more pressure/compaction on the lower back.

Like many on here, I've remedied my DR w higher rise bars, angled far forward to put torso weight on my hands, which becomes neutral at speed. I'm 6' & also needed to ride standing up on the DR comfortably. I bought Procycles lowered/rearset pegs (some guys cut/reweld their own) to put my feet under my butt...a Lot better..but still not rearset enough. I widened my seat 2" which helped, but a Sargent, or Mayer, would be my choice for doing long distances. Hope that helps.

And to help your back, try putting some traction into it w/ a yoga Inversion Sling..@ $80-90. I hang mine from the
rafters in the garage & hang for a few minutes..soo much better afterwards, especially after banging around on dirtbikes all day...Google search will bring up one of these; ...and no, that's not me in the richard simmons outfit..fyyff ;)

ADVBedouin screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 01:02 PM
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #61754
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I thought a lot of old men got the DR650 because it was more comfortable, not the other way around
Haha. I'm 25 and I got the DR650 cause my dirt skills are severely lacking (hence the trackday avatar)so I need all the help in the dirt I can get. I love the low seat height.The XR650Ls, comparatively, were too expensive and tall. KLRs are KLRs. I rode my buddy's DR350 and crazy enough it is actually taller than the 650. I cant believe they make lowering links for the 650. It is already so accessible to a broad range of riders. Suffice it to say that I am incredibly happy with the bike. It is absolutely perfect for my needs. The DR is in!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #61755
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I will spear you the story why I put 3 inch risers on my bars but I did. I unhooked all tied down cables upfront that were connected to my bars to relieve some tension. i pulled on all of them and it gave 3 inches of space so I thought i was good. I put the risers on and clamped it down. The only tight area was the left side cables that are pinched against the front frame just below the tank. When i turned all the way right it got real tight so i placed my bars an inch forward to give more slack.

Well can any one guess what happened next?

I go to turn on the bike with the ignition key and nothing comes on no lights just nothing.

Now i just exhausted all my wife approved funds to modify this bike and I am terrified i need to get a pro to fix wiring.

Can anyone help this Idiot out our have any ideas what could of happened?

I am just freaking out as I was so excited to ride today!!

Boulder
I'm surprised you have an elec. problem. I was thinking it would be something worse ... Can you guess what I'm referring to? How does a stuck wide open throttle sound?

With a 3" rise I'm not sure you have enough slack in your cables to allow proper freedom from binding ... or from pulling cables when you turn your handlebars left to right. I know many guys have been through this sort of thing ... some even survived. I would be very certain throttle is not hanging up in any way. For a 3" rise I'm pretty sure I would have bought longer throttle cables ... you know ... like the Chopper guys do! (3 inches!! that's huge!)

Electrical
My "guess" is you've possibly shorted something out ... maybe blown a main fuse? I believe the clutch cut out switch and the KILL switch both will still show dash lights even if faulty, but starter motor won't crank if either are not grounded. Not positive on this ... so I would check these connections anyway.

But something has been pulled ... and somehow has knocked out all your lights and ignition. Probably a pulled connection or something (obviously!) Sounds like a good VOM and lots of checking continuity and voltage will be on the menu'. Should be an educational experience! Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote