Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #61786
HiJincs
Dreamer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Sweet i will check that and ADV Grifter info.

I will let you all know what it is.

B
Re: the big electrical connector under the tank!

Oh man, I had that happen to me also. It led to this:

The shame of being towed by a bimmer

When I got the bike home and finally figured out what it was, I was pissed 'cause I had everything I needed to find adn fix it on the trail.

When I die, show no pity, send my soul to Juggalo City.
Dig my grave six feet deep and put two Sidi's on my feet.
Put some leather over my chest and tell my family I did my best!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #61787
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 460
What would happen if your on the freeway going 80 mph and your electrical dies out? Would it be the same as running out of gas as mine pretty much starts to shut down when i run out of gas but it drifts still and i can control the bike and pull the clutch in and either turn the RES on or drift to the outer lane.

But when electrical goes out do the wheels semi lock up due to being in gear? And that wont be good if since the power goes out instantly.

Yes I am worried that due to my blunder of stretching a cable out that it more easily might pull out again while riding.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #61788
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJincs View Post
Re: the big electrical connector under the tank!

Oh man, I had that happen to me also. It led to this:

The shame of being towed by a bimmer

When I got the bike home and finally figured out what it was, I was pissed 'cause I had everything I needed to find adn fix it on the trail.

Does anyone have a picture of which connection we are talking about? Want to double check mine
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #61789
shu

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by advchick View Post
hey taz which mirrors are these on your setup?
That's my bike, advchick. Plain old stock mirrors. I don't have any trouble with them, set them wide and just tuck my elbow a little to see directly behind me.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #61790
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
What would happen if your on the freeway going 80 mph and your electrical dies out? Would it be the same as running out of gas as mine pretty much starts to shut down when i run out of gas but it drifts still and i can control the bike and pull the clutch in and either turn the RES on or drift to the outer lane.
It will be like running out of fuel....it will be exactly like accidentally hitting the kill switch at speed....stops running but does not lock up.
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #61791
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
My # 30 fuse on the right hand under side cover is blown and keeps blowing after i think i found an issue i replace with another 30 and try the ignition again. Pop its gone.
I don't see any open wires or pinches. No kinks against the head stop. Cant sleep going over and over in my mind what the hell did i do...ugggghhh.
I have checked everything you all have told me but will go over it again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!!
Boulder
The place I would look now is the wiring bundle that travels from under the tank to the headlight assembly. If you have a Volt Ohm Meter you can start testing wires from start to finish. Wires in that bundle may have worn and are touching thus the fuse pop goes the weasel routine. I have found that to be the cause of a couple of machines. Might not be it but worth looking at. Sorry for your troubles. Roger
Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #61792
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,949
The unplugged connectors under the seat are used for overseas bikes with different laws and lighting regulations.

I doubt this was Boulder's problem but it fits here:
I saw this connector mentioned before, so when I had my tank off I checked it. On the right side of the bike, just behind the tank mount cushion, factory routing puts the white connector in front of the harness, behind the head stay bolt. You can see the small tear in the harness tape where it was rubbing. In that location, it points straight out, into the side of the tank. On the left end of the connector, you can see how the wires are bent 90*. This is were the connector was pushing against the tank. So I unplugged it, and worked it behind the wiring harness.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #61793
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Budget Hardbags

Does anyone know of an affordable hard saddlebag option for thr DR? I just can't see spending half as much on bags as I spent for the bike ('08). I'm almost to the point of bungie-cording a pair of igloo coolers to the seat.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #61794
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Back brake caliper

Hi
Can anyone tell me if the DR 650 and DR350 back calipers are the same ? The reason i ask is the 350 has a nice built in stone guard and as i off road the big un a lot it'd be good to have the guard
Cheers Phil
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #61795
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
It will be like running out of fuel....it will be exactly like accidentally hitting the kill switch at speed....stops running but does not lock up.
Great news thanks!! Didn't want to test the theory.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #61796
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The unplugged connectors under the seat are used for overseas bikes with different laws and lighting regulations.

I doubt this was Boulder's problem but it fits here:
I saw this connector mentioned before, so when I had my tank off I checked it. On the right side of the bike, just behind the tank mount cushion, factory routing puts the white connector in front of the harness, behind the head stay bolt. You can see the small tear in the harness tape where it was rubbing. In that location, it points straight out, into the side of the tank. On the left end of the connector, you can see how the wires are bent 90*. This is were the connector was pushing against the tank. So I unplugged it, and worked it behind the wiring harness.

Yep mine was fine but I am rerouting them like yours.

And below the tank I have a green one and a white one just under the tank. A large green connector and behind that one is a white one.

bouldertag screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 10:08 AM Reason: messed up tank vs seat connectors
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #61797
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Does anyone know of an affordable hard saddlebag option for thr DR? I just can't see spending half as much on bags as I spent for the bike ('08). I'm almost to the point of bungie-cording a pair of igloo coolers to the seat.
Saddle bags only if you can rig something up like go to a surplus store/army store and get some ammo cans for cheap.

But i did get me a great top case for cheap. Nice finish and looks great.

Take a look at it. Fits my XL helmet in it fine and whatever you want plus it locks up. And not too expensive of a loss if you crash and it breaks.

Emgo Travel Trunk 72-32440
$65.49
In Stock
Sold by: Powersport Superstore
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #61798
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Saddle bags only if you can rig something up like go to a surplus store/army store and get some ammo cans for cheap.

But i did get me a great top case for cheap. Nice finish and looks great.

Take a look at it. Fits my XL helmet in it fine and whatever you want plus it locks up. And not too expensive of a loss if you crash and it breaks.

Emgo Travel Trunk 72-32440
$65.49
In Stock
Sold by: Powersport Superstore
That's a great idea on the ammo cans, I hadn't thought of that. I think 20mm belt cans would be big and sturdy enough. Gonna make some calls right now.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #61799
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Just like Shu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advchick View Post
hey taz which mirrors are these on your setup?

I also use the stock mirrors on both my DR650's. Despite the complaints, they are very sturdy and almost vibration free (at least on my bikes), and when properly adjusted, I can see directly behind me. Longer stemmed mirrors tend to vibrate more and are easily damaged in a tip over.

Taz
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #61800
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
How much do you want to spend? Someone has these (http://www.allcases.com/) on their DR and they look pretty sharp. The ones he/she was using were around $35 or so a piece (plus having to buy the mounting racks of course).

EDIT:

Wrong board, this is the guy I was talking about - it's a few posts down from the OP:

http://drriders.com/topic3929.html?s...ffdbc7028f5b60
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote