Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #61951
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,059
Air box mod ? If not enough air it will behave that way.

[QUOTE=greer;18297720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman View Post
I have a 03 DR with a gxr pipe, jet kit and the opened airbox, i can't seem to get it to run right. i have been inside the carb so much in the last 2 weeks i could do it in my sleep. 155 main jet, clip in the bottom groove because thats the only place it will run decent.

I have called and talked to i think it was carl at pro cycle, he gave me a few tips but nothing seems to help.

The bike runs great everywhere but at cruising speed where it seems to cut out or surge, almost feels like it is running out of fuel, i have been able to play with the needle and make it better but cant get it to go away.

I would welcome any advice on where to start, this is the 3rd DR i have had and it runs worse than the stock one i had.

I still have the stock pipe and jets and have thought about going back to stock, can i tape up the airbox or do i have to get a new one?

Thanks Greg[/QUOTE

Have you tried pre-loading the slide spring? Just a short piece of fuel line pushed over the plastic post in the top of the carb cap will do the trick. As has been mentioned, that does sound rich on the needle.

Sarah

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #61952
rwf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I just picked up a new 2011 DR. All the things I loved about my KLR this seems to do better. 2009 KLR soon to be posted in the flea market.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #61953
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
[QUOTE=DockingPilot;18299852]Air box mod ? If not enough air it will behave that way.

airbox mod has been done, i was thinking it was getting to much air, but at this point i dont know what to think
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #61954
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=zdiver1;18299458]
Quote:
Is it new or have you had this set up for sometime and it started running bad?
i bought it used, po used it more for dirt than street, said he thought it surged a little at 50 ,, he had a 14 tooth countershaft.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #61955
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=sagebrushocean;18299571]
Quote:

You say that it surges at part throttle, but does it run OK at WOT? If you're leaning out at higher fuel flows (not just a part throttle) perhaps your fuel filter is partly clogged. That little filter in the carb inlet is small and easily plugged. If you've added an inline filter, have you checked (or bypassed) that to test for adequate fuel flow?

If your bike runs fine at WOT then it isn't a shortage of fuel delivery.

And did you drop the needle all the way down (in case it is a too-rich midrange problem)?
it runs decent at WOT, i took the little filter out. it seems to run better with the clip all the way to the bottom, so needle all the way up correct? thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #61956
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Rusty Rocket;18299575]
Quote:

Do you have the side cover off the airbox? Put it back on if not. My bike came from the prev-owner with that cover missing. I made a trip to the dealer and promptly ordered one along with the special nuts and the bolts. Problem solved.
side cover is on, top has been modified. thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #61957
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Olas;18299705]
Quote:

Have you checked the float level?
yes i have, using method from this site. thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #61958
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull600 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the excellent photos, not only for this issue but a range of things that you have put up over time.

Great work

Cheers
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Thanks all.

Still have an issue. I removed the arm to adjust per ER70S-2's post, and now can't get the splines engaged again.
The arm bolt fits in the notch, the arm won't go back on with the bolt in. It's also a very snug fit, so you have to get it straight onto the spline. This is important because the arm must be on the correct spline, off one either direction won't work.

Edit to add: the arm looks correct here, remove the bolt, slide the arm down, bolt and ride. :-)

Quote:
Yesterday when Nordie Boy said to rotate the shaft clockwise, that worked easily, but today after removing the arm, I have tried the same thing a dozen times, and the cable still flops in and out with no resistance.
Put the arm on without the cable or bolt; rotate it left, take a photo, rotate it right and take another photo. Post them. Also note if it swings freely between these two positions.

Quote:
It's frustrating because I just know this is simple, and I want to ride.

Is there a trick to this?
Yep, experience and patience. You'll get through this.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 12:12 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #61959
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://www.procycle.us/info/question...l#pc_jet_kit-1 some reading.

Do you have the stock fuel petcock Vacuum? I have the raptor and had to cap off the vacuum port on the Carburetor.
i have the non vacuum ims petcock. thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #61960
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Pop the arm off, twist the splined shaft clockwise with your fingers, put the arm back on.
Oops. Anti-clockwise.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #61961
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for checking in Guzzi. A lot of DR riders are watching for Shorai reports. I'm getting about 3 years out of the stock lead-acid battery, but I change it pro-actively ... not waiting for it to fail. My bikes live on Battery Tenders (I have four) when not in use so many batteries last 5 years or longer.

The real test will be what will happen when the Shorai ... for whatever reason ... is run down to dead or near dead. Lots of things could cause this:
Intermittent elec. short
An accessory left ON
Starting trouble ... lots of cranking to get it going
Stator failure

The real test will be how the battery recovers, and in the end, how long it lasts before crapping out 100%. I have high hopes that Japan based Shorai
have done their homework and this product will be world class and become the "new" standard.
I have 2 Shorai's installed now. First one went into my Honda CBF1000 when the stator crapped out and took the OEM battery with it. Second one into my wife's DR200 to replace her 5 year old OEM battery that she finally killed running her electric vest for 4 days straight on a dual sport ride, lots of slower riding so I knew she wasn't getting her battery charged back up.

I've been running the CBF Shorai for a year now and I'm kinda on the fence with them. Bike has never failed to start, BUT there's been too many instances where it barely started. Cold starts are the problem. We're in Canada, so I typically winterize and put the bikes away in Nov till Apr. But this winter we decided to try the "snowbird" thing and head south for a few months. We took the CBF and Street Triple to AZ and CA. On chilly mornings in AZ when it was 50 degrees, I had a bear of a time getting the CBF to start. Happened about 6 times and I would be getting ready to pull the seats off the bikes and grab my booster cables, but try "one last time" and sure enough the bike would reluctantly start. This never happened if we left later in the morning once it had warmed up.

It seems counter intuitive but these batteries will have more cranking power once warmed internally so they suggest putting a load on the battery first, *before* trying to start your bike. I tried this a few mornings, turning the key on and just leaving the headlight on for 5 minutes to "warm" the battery up but it didn't seem to make any difference.

So even though my bike never failed to start, I don't have total confidence in the Shorai.

You can buy an American made AntiGravity lithium which from my research seem to do better with cold starts. They claim to be popular with the snowmobile crowd, so if they'll start a sled in minus temps, they should have no trouble starting a bike. I'll try an Antigravity next to see if it's any better than the Shorai's.

As for running down near dead... here's Anti Gravity's response from their site:

You can damage the battery if you let it drain to below 10v volts. This is true of ANY battery, lead/acid or lithium. Draining a battery to this level will damage the battery cells. This is not a concern if you remember to turn off your ignition, or turn off any accessories that are not ignition switched. You should also make sure your vehicle does not have an “parasitic drain” or “short circuit”. A “parasitic drain” is something like an accessory that is pulling energy from the battery even though the ignition is “off”… Sometimes a short can also be the cause of a drain on the battery though all accessories are “off”.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #61962
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Actually my vascular surgeon says that i will probably lose my left leg at some point due to the reoccuring blood clots. Oh well, I'll just get in all the riding I can before then... and then buy a Can-Am Spider.
Shit, sorry to hear that, sounds like a trike will be a good fit, post up some pics when you turn it into a DS
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #61963
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
I spooned on a set of Trackmaster II's for this summer.
After a test ride today, i notice that the tire rubs slightly on the swing arm (brake side). I have the snail adjusters even and the wheel looks straight.
Is it possible to loosen the spokes a 1/4 turn on the brake side and tighten the spokes a 1/4 turn on the chain side to shift the rim over on the hub?
It looks like there is enough room on the chain side.
I looked at mine with a 130 T63, there is more room on the left side of the tire. I'd take an angle grinder and trim the side knobs. I would not mess with my wheel. Many riders are able to run a 140 size tire on the DR, but they're probably more sumo type tread.

Quote:
Oh well, I'll just get in all the riding I can before then... and then buy a Can-Am Spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Bross; thanks for the battery info. Like many others, I'm wondering how the new technologies will perform in the real world.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 12:10 PM
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #61964
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
OK guys I need help. I'm really getting a kick out of riding the DR but the climb aboard is tough. I got crushed in a car wreck 13 years ago (gotta stay away from those dangerous 4 wheel vehicles). Anyway, I have a bad left leg and walk with a cane and I'm having a hard time getting my right leg over the seat. This things even higher than my Hypermotard. Right now it is all stock and I need it about 2 inches lower. What's the best way to do it?
Don't know if this will work for you , but two of my riding buddies leave their bikes on teh kick stand and step on the left footpeg with their left leg to assist in getting their right leg over the seat. It seems to work well for them, just not sure if this will work for you with your bad left leg.

If that doesn't help maybe lower the bike?

Another crazy thought might be to relocate the kick stand to the right side and use the technique above from the right side?

I'm assuming you've already tried just mounting from the right off your "good" leg?

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #61965
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Check the Vacuum port on the carb for cap leaking past. check tank vent hose and unscrew tank cap when it starts acting up.

Quote: