Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #61951
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
...I'm thinking of adding a center stand and climbing on the foot peg, then rocking back and riding off of it. Anybody else doing this?
i am fortunate that i do not have your difficulties; i hope you can maintain as long as possible. truly sorry!

my ducati darmah does not have a side stand; all it has is a center stand. so, every time i ride it, i have to rock it off its stand. but, i don't do this while it's in gear and running. i can't, most of the time - ie: when it's in the garage, it's facing forward, a few inches from something. and, even if i could, i would not be comfortable having the bike simply take off on me, like that. but, it is easy enough to do anyway, w/o the bike running... and, the darmah weighs ~480lbs...

best,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #61952
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Running issues with a 03 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
got it thanks i have checked that even though mine has a nipple type plug on it.
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #61953
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
For UPSMAN
Service manual- Engine runs poorly at higher speed range
1.weakened valve springs
2.worn camshaft
3.valve timing out of adjustment
4.too narrow spark plug gaps
5.ignition not advanced sufficiently due to poorly working timing advanced circuit
6.defective ignition coil
7.defective cdi unit
8.too low float-chamber fuel level
9.clogged air filter
10.clogged fuel hose.
thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #61954
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
I have the center stand when on the stand seat is to high to get on. the center stand for the DR is not a role off type.
I am sure the side stand could hold over a thousand pounds.
And it is a job getting the bike up on the center stand.
Getting it on the center stand isn't a problem (bench press 325, curls 125 in 3 sets of 10). The upper body still works fine. I think if I throw my weight forward it should come off the stand easy enough. I just want confirmation from someone running a SW Motech center stand now.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #61955
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Yep, everyone knows the blue ones are the fastest.
No, no! Yellow is the fastest! That's Suzuki's racing color. Watch Wharton and Alessi on Supercross.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #61956
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
No prob, they haven't chopped it off yet (may be years from now or next week depending on when the big one hits). Even then I may get a fancy titanium prosthetic and an electric shifter but that still leaves me with the issue of getting aboard.
I think your only solution is to never get off, keep riding and send us ride reports LOL

I've had bikes you could roll off the center stand, but never had a center stand on a DR so I'll leave that one to those that do.

As far as the stand and frame holding you as you get on, I would not worry about that, just make sure the ground under the stand is firm enough
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #61957
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
No, no! Yellow is the fastest! That's Suzuki's racing color. Watch Wharton and Alessi on Supercross.
So, your saying I have to change plastics now, ahh, procycle already has enough of my money
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #61958
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman View Post
got it thanks i have checked that even though mine has a nipple type plug on it.
Give up and just get a TM40, did you say you have other DR's, try swapping a carb?

Nibis screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 02:54 PM Reason: stupid spelling
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #61959
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Give up and just get a TM40, did you say you have other DR's, try swapping a carb?
nope i have had other dr's, cant swing the pumper right now would love one. guess i will keep trying. thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #61960
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I think your only solution is to never get off, keep riding and send us ride reports LOL
Isn't that the goal of all of us here?

Rugby4life screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:08 PM Reason: left out a word
Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #61961
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the SW Motech center stand. I am going for a ride now (rain delay nascar) I will give it a shot also when the bike is up on the stand it is close to rolling off on its own.
Thanks, let me know how it goes... or what hospital to send the flowers.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #61962
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Yeah man. I've been climbing onto my left peg and then

swinging my right leg over too. It's MUCH easier than trying to swing my leg over from ground level. I learned to do this when I had a KLR. I've got a really arthritic hip that doesn't allow me to raise my legs laterally much at all. I can't even sit "indian style," but climbing aboard that left peg first allows me to mount the bike without straining. The DR pegs are plenty strong. Have no doubts about their strength and learn to mount this way; it sure works for me.

Quote:

I've had bikes you could roll off the center stand, but never had a center stand on a DR so I'll leave that one to those that do.

As far as the stand and frame holding you as you get on, I would not worry about that, just make sure the ground under the stand is firm enough
Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #61963
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman View Post
nope i have had other dr's, cant swing the pumper right now would love one. guess i will keep trying. thanks
I can't remember where I read it now, but someone cured a surge issue by moving the carb vent hose (the one with the filter on it) that sits on top of the airbox.
IIRC after opening up the top of the air box the filter ended up positioned to where it was either in the opening or hanging down in the air box, which was disrupting it ability to vent the carb properly. According to him as soon as he moved it out of the air intake path the surge went away.
Good luck!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #61964
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Well i went out and messed with some of the hoses coming off of the carb, rerouted one, took the little k&n off of the other and made a little duct tape dam around the top of the air box and the thing runs great at all rpm's. The bad news is i did too many things at once and im not sure which fixed it. Any guesses ?

Thanks for all the help Greg
Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #61965
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
swinging my right leg over too. It's MUCH easier than trying to swing my leg over from ground level. I learned to do this when I had a KLR. I've got a really arthritic hip that doesn't allow me to raise my legs laterally much at all. I can't even sit "indian style," but climbing aboard that left peg first allows me to mount the bike without straining. The DR pegs are plenty strong. Have no doubts about their strength and learn to mount this way; it sure works for me.
I've been doing the same thing for years. I broke right hip when i was a kid and it didnt set right. No injun style sitting either. I can get on from the right side from the ground but not from the leftl side. Just what we have to do to keep riding.

Good luck - Frank
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote