Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #62461
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryC View Post
Here are some pics of the Wolfman setup.

Nice hangar you got there. Space is a luxury. I am so jealous!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #62462
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Jack for Canadians

For anyone in range of Canadian Tire, they have a really decent jack on sale for 1/2 price, starting today.

I can't include a photo because the site is all Flash, but here is a link:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I have an older version that I bought used last year. Works well on the DR650. Wish I had waited and bought this new at 1/2 price, but then I have used it many times since then, so....
Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #62463
GarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Nice hangar you got there. Space is a luxury. I am so jealous!
Yes, but as always I'm wishing it were bigger. My toys expand to fill the space. Here is what lives in the hangar with the 6 motorcycles.

2011 R1200GS
GarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #62464
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/201...-dr-setup.html Sounds like Jay.

Very helpful. Buy a T-Shirt :)

From Jay's site. A great write up and incredible ride reports.

Holy crap! Very cool but people complain about drivers on their cell phones! How does he operate all that stuff going down the road and where is the lap top!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #62465
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
I'm guessing Jay isn't flippin' switches on the move. Check his site to see where he rides and I'm not sure it matters most of the time. Pretty interesting build - solar charger and all.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #62466
mercenario27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
Ya, the lock system works pretty well. for sure won't go down if the pump fails. The handle is easy to remove too, which is nice while you're working on the bike, the long handle isn't in your way. Lifts plenty high too, can get wheels several inches off the ground.

I had looked at some of the cheap, lever action MX stands. But all seemed very small for our bikes. Very glad I bought this one. Only complaint is it is all steel, so quite a bit heavier than the similar, but much more expensive, aluminum model.
The jack will fail. Mine did last winter. Still worth the $69 I paid at HF
1996 Suzuki GSF750 Kan.of.tuna & 1986 Honda VF700 Intercepter
mercenario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #62467
mercenario27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Time mark on crank

I was trying to adjust my valves last fall when I stripped the crank access cover, not a big deal since I can spin the rear tire to find the timing mark. Problem is I couldn't find the "T" stamped on the crank. All I could find is this:

1996 Suzuki GSF750 Kan.of.tuna & 1986 Honda VF700 Intercepter
mercenario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #62468
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
sears lift

I've had this same Craftsman lift for about 5 years. I've read a lot of reviews where people have had the pump fail...but I've used it to lift my dirtbikes, my old 700lb cruiser, and even my John Deere riding mower.

I haven't done anything to maintain it or baby it in any way, so I don't know why this one continues to work when others fail. Maybe that's the secret, use it like you stole it and it'll keep on going strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the lifts guys! I bit the bullet and went out and got one like bross posted. Sears had them on sale on line for $84.99 and I did and instore pickup to save the $50 delivery charge. I have already had the bike up on the lift and put on a new 14 tooth front sprocket which worked out pretty nice!
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #62469
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Happy to see we're so friendly with each other!

OK, we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't know squat about KTMs, only what I hear from my friend, I thought all 690 motors are substantially the same.

I do you one better on the oil change, I remove the drain bolt when I return from a ride, then finish the oil / filter change the next day. Saves time, which I can tell is important to you.

Shim kits at ktm-parts.com cost over $80. Too much money for maybe 6-8 shims that will be used over the course of the bike’s life. I recall for my KLR650, individual shims were $7 and a kit of (16) was around $90. I bought individual shims, as needed - and traveled to the Kawasaki dealer for the shims the one time I need them.

A serious question: Mike, my friend with the KTM, would like to know where you buy shims for $1.75, at that price he plans to order a few in the common sizes to have on hand. And, at that price, what does a kit of all the shim sizes cost?

Thanks in advance for the info on where to purchase those shims.

Here's a friendly smilie, for helping out my friend:

And, apologies to the DR crowd for hijacking the thread for this post and Albie's reply, like some others of us, Mike is currently unemployed and trying to cut costs.

Lex
I just buy a shim kit from HotCams so I have shims on hand. My closest dealer is over an hour away, so 2 hours travel time plus gas. $80 is a bargain, especially when you use the shim you calculated should be the right one, but it's a little too close to being outside spec, so you look in your shim kit and hey, there's the one I really need right there. Doing your own maintenance and NOT being close to civilization makes things like a shim kit pretty valuable to have around. $80 for 140+ shims seems like a good deal.

Shim Kits

Still have one for our sons KTM that was the wrong size for my CBF so I have both sizes of shims now.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #62470
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,235
Could this be true ?
My friend who is a Suzuki dealer told me Suzuki has stopped production on DR650's and 400's now. The last of them are here and thats it. He is thinking they may be revamping it for 2013.
Speculation, misinformation or fact ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #62471
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Could this be true ?
My friend who is a Suzuki dealer told me Suzuki has stopped production on DR650's and 400's now. The last of them are here and thats it. He is thinking they may be revamping it for 2013.
Does this mean stopped production for all markets or just stopped bringing them into the US like they did back in 2010? Manufacturers like to place bikes in markets with strong sales. For example, Canada still gets the DRZ 400SM the US doesn't.

If they are revamping the DR I hope they don't let the person at Suzuki responsible for the DRZ 400SM graphics have at it, because at Suzuki "revamp" means bold new graphics. You would think the tooling on the DR production line would be thoroughly worn out by now though.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #62472
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenario27 View Post
I was trying to adjust my valves last fall when I stripped the crank access cover, not a big deal since I can spin the rear tire to find the timing mark. Problem is I couldn't find the "T" stamped on the crank. All I could find is this:

Tried with two people? Comes by faaaaast. Might need a spotter if doing it by wheel.
Really, as long as you are in that long sweep of "No Lift" area of a cam. . .makes no matter for valve lash adjustments. Watch the rockers to (both in + ex.) completely come up, tad more for luck, then do it.
Now for other things to do. . . BE THERE.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #62473
keenerkeen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Could this be true ?
I call BS on the DR 650 ...why would they?
keenerkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #62474
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenario27 View Post
I was trying to adjust my valves last fall when I stripped the crank access cover, not a big deal since I can spin the rear tire to find the timing mark. Problem is I couldn't find the "T" stamped on the crank.
edit: 205'd by DS. Here's the long version.

First remove the tank and hose off the debris that's going to fall into the open plug hole, including the spark plug recess. Then remove the rocker covers and the outside spark plug. Drop something long, soft and skinny into the plug hole (I use a straw), as vertical as possible (Push it toward the frame. You're trying to keep the straw from bending as the piston rises). Rotate the engine until the straw is at TDC.

Now wiggle the rockers, if they're loose you're at TDC on the compression stroke (where you want to be). If they're tight, you're on TDC of the exhaust stroke. Both valves are at the overlap position on the cam and both are slightly open. Do this two or three times to make sure you're on compression TDC. As a second check: if the feeler gauge is tight on all four rockers, you're probably on the wrong TDC; rotate 360* and try again.

I'm going to speculate here, so YMMV, IMO, yada yada yada. Since both valves are closed for almost one full revolution (BDC, compression, power, BDC) the straw is more than accurate enough. The exact position of the "T" doesn't matter.

If this is wrong, someone speak up and I'll edit it.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #62475
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryC View Post
Here are some pics of the Wolfman setup.
The first 4 pics are of my wife's 2007 DR with the original Wolfman racks.
The rest of the pics are of my 1997 DR650 with the "Gen 2" racks
Garry,
Been a while since I've seen the Wolfman bags mounted up. Do they use any sort of over the seat type strap ... or is the entire weight taken by the side racks?

If that is the case then I would not use them in that configuration. I've already seen the threaded mounting bolt points on the DR650 either crack or strip.
Hanging a pannier with 20 to 30 lbs. of gear in it and doing rough terrain may stress the mounting points after a few 1000 miles. (or sooner)

A throw-over design takes most of the stress off the pannier frames/mounting points. I like the design and lowness of the Wolfman. I think I'd rig a big strap over the seat to take some or most of the load. I'm sure the panniers themselves are strong enough but I can guarantee you that the threaded mounting points on the DR are not. Been there, done that.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote