Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #62476
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Does anyone have and use one of the light $39 foot powered lifts you can get at Harbor F? I just picked up a DR650SE and wanted to know if they will work at lifting that heavy of a bike and hold is steady? It would be nice to get the HDuty one but they are about $100 and I'm a little tapped out after buying the bike right now.
i bought this lift from HF using a coupon from a bike mag. Got it for $69. Works quite well to lift my DR, though does need a board across the lift arms as they are too wide for the DR without. I would buy it again for sure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #62477
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
i bought this lift from HF using a coupon from a bike mag. Got it for $69. Works quite well to lift my DR, though does need a board across the lift arms as they are too wide for the DR without. I would buy it again for sure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html
I looked at that one at lunch today and it is a nice heavy unit as well. The thing thats nice about both of them is the racheting lock system that keeps the bike up even if the pump fails.
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #62478
GarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi Joe View Post
Nice pics of the Wolfman racks. Have you used the 2gen. racks much? I'm wondering if the 2gen racks will be rougher on the mounting straps. Thanks for posting the pics I'm wanting to get that set up. Are you happy with them? I have read they are very tough. Thanks Joe
I just installed the Gen 2 racks on my bike a couple of weeks ago and toured Big Bend Natl Park. We installed the original Wolfman racks on my wife's bike last May. For a write up of my experiences installing the Gen 2 racks see post # 62620 a couple of pages back. We are really happy with the set up. The bags are easy to pack and pull tight to the racks. We haven't had any leaks and the bags appear to really tough. They mount on the Gen 2 racks the same way as on the earlier racks so I don't think there should be any additional stress on the straps.
GarryC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #62479
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Can't comment on a 07 690 SM, but then we're talking about a 690 Enduro which the manual states 6K miles per oil change. Which as I said is a moot point I change both the same intervals. In fact just did a change yesterday on the 690 and it was around 30 minutes including the warm up time before draining the oil, and the warm up time after the change for the final level check which is 10 minutes of that 30. A lot of that time was also just waiting for all the oil to drain. I can pop out the screens, hit em with a blast of air and pop them back in while the oil is still dripping out of the drain hole. Your buddies ineptitude as a mechanic hardly reflects on the bike. Here's your smilie...

Well gee, ya got me there, I guess if I do have to change the shim it's gonna take me longer if I don't have it in my kit. And of course at $1.75 I'm sure most DR owners would balk at such a huge cost in maintenance. Oh look, here's that smilie again.

While you have a buddy to compare with, I ACTUALLY have both bikes that I ride and maintain. That's how I KNOW you're wrong. New smilie for ya.
Happy to see we're so friendly with each other!

OK, we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't know squat about KTMs, only what I hear from my friend, I thought all 690 motors are substantially the same.

I do you one better on the oil change, I remove the drain bolt when I return from a ride, then finish the oil / filter change the next day. Saves time, which I can tell is important to you.

Shim kits at ktm-parts.com cost over $80. Too much money for maybe 6-8 shims that will be used over the course of the bike’s life. I recall for my KLR650, individual shims were $7 and a kit of (16) was around $90. I bought individual shims, as needed - and traveled to the Kawasaki dealer for the shims the one time I need them.

A serious question: Mike, my friend with the KTM, would like to know where you buy shims for $1.75, at that price he plans to order a few in the common sizes to have on hand. And, at that price, what does a kit of all the shim sizes cost?

Thanks in advance for the info on where to purchase those shims.

Here's a friendly smilie, for helping out my friend:

And, apologies to the DR crowd for hijacking the thread for this post and Albie's reply, like some others of us, Mike is currently unemployed and trying to cut costs.

Lex
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #62480
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
I still like the Colors on the '97 Decals !

I agree. I think at some point I'll swap out the yellow gaiters and go w/ a solid black seat, but the colors on the tank and the purple frame on my '98 are groovy.......

KTM budget/DR350 skill set.....
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #62481
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
I looked at that one at lunch today and it is a nice heavy unit as well. The thing thats nice about both of them is the racheting lock system that keeps the bike up even if the pump fails.
Ya, the lock system works pretty well. for sure won't go down if the pump fails. The handle is easy to remove too, which is nice while you're working on the bike, the long handle isn't in your way. Lifts plenty high too, can get wheels several inches off the ground.

I had looked at some of the cheap, lever action MX stands. But all seemed very small for our bikes. Very glad I bought this one. Only complaint is it is all steel, so quite a bit heavier than the similar, but much more expensive, aluminum model.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #62482
godaddygo
drdude

Oddometer: 231
Looking...

help...I am looking for a post on this site where the "man" built a tach and speedometer (vapor) and brought it up and forward under the windshield...it was a instrument box that was up like a Dakar just below the windshield. Damned if i can find it again...anyone help a guy form Idaho out here?
godaddygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #62483
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/201...-dr-setup.html Sounds like Jay.

Very helpful. Buy a T-Shirt :)

From Jay's site. A great write up and incredible ride reports.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...

TrophyHunter screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 09:46 PM
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #62484
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Thumb Putzy Carburetor problem! FIXED

Well I just fixed Putzy Carburetor problem! He just bought my carb that I took off my 2011 with 1900 mi two weeks a go after I up graded to my (PC) TM 40 both were and are getting around 50 mpg.
I also included my near new throttle & choke cables PC jet kit and new breather hose and filter and two PC stickers!

zdiver1 screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 06:47 AM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #62485
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Shinko 705?

Good day all,
I've been running the Shinko 705 120/90-17, but thinking of running the 130/90-17. Sorry for such a noob question, but are there any drawbacks to running this size? I've had a 130/80-17 on before, and it just seemed a tad be shorter from top to bottom and a touch wider?
Thanks in advance.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #62486
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryC View Post
Here are some pics of the Wolfman setup.

Nice hangar you got there. Space is a luxury. I am so jealous!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #62487
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,641
Jack for Canadians

For anyone in range of Canadian Tire, they have a really decent jack on sale for 1/2 price, starting today.

I can't include a photo because the site is all Flash, but here is a link:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I have an older version that I bought used last year. Works well on the DR650. Wish I had waited and bought this new at 1/2 price, but then I have used it many times since then, so....
Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #62488
GarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Nice hangar you got there. Space is a luxury. I am so jealous!
Yes, but as always I'm wishing it were bigger. My toys expand to fill the space. Here is what lives in the hangar with the 6 motorcycles.

GarryC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #62489
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/201...-dr-setup.html Sounds like Jay.

Very helpful. Buy a T-Shirt :)

From Jay's site. A great write up and incredible ride reports.

Holy crap! Very cool but people complain about drivers on their cell phones! How does he operate all that stuff going down the road and where is the lap top!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #62490
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
I'm guessing Jay isn't flippin' switches on the move. Check his site to see where he rides and I'm not sure it matters most of the time. Pretty interesting build - solar charger and all.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote