Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #62506
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
After seeing some of the problems some have removing the clutch I will do it like you did mine is a 2011 with 2022 mi I am doing it next oil change!
your upper chain roller hole you did not use loctite? silicone?
I used the blue Loctite.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #62507
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
Just out of curiosity how many have done the valves and found no adjustment required.
I've checked mine twice -- at ~4000 miles when I bought it (PO had never checked), and again at 7000 miles. Spot on both times on all 4 valves. I wouldn't worry even if I only checked them every 15,000 miles from here on out, but it's so quick and easy that I'll probably keep checking them at the recommended interval.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #62508
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb Thats how I am going to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I did mine without removing the clutch. I used allen bolts and safety wire too. Just takes a little patience and some finesse. An allen wrench with the sort side ground down will make the job easier.

Tech23
I already have the allen bolts and the proto driver tool.
I dont wont to get it apart and have to put all the parts in a box and take it to a shop and say fix it! I have a gold master card!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #62509
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb Upper roller hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
I used the blue Loctite.
Most Brother DR Riders here use RTV silicone in the hole to keep the crap out of the frame and bunging up the threads just in case Procycle comes out with a upper roller hole solar panel add on that gets 75 mpg.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #62510
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hole

Quote:
Most Brother DR Riders here use RTV silicone in the hole to keep the crap out of the frame and bunging up the threads just in case Procycle comes out with a upper roller hole solar panel add on that gets 75 mpg.
Pencil eraser.

Just change it now and then... Mines been in for about 4 years. I better change it soon.
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #62511
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
No worries Lex. Anyone who wants a real world report on
KTM 690 long term performance only need read this Ride Report by Fish Fund. Pretty much sums it up. Orange Kool-Aid boys can spin it any way they want; heard it all before. Skip up to page Nine to get to bike stuff. The first 9 pages are fluff.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=fish+fund
I snikker every time I see you post that link. It's even funnier since I read the link. My buddy is a KTM fanatic. Yep, they're faster and yep they're rumored to be lighter (the current 690 is 142 kg (313 lb.) DRY. Oh, wait, that's only 20 pounds lighter than my DR . But I ride solo and dependability it my first concern. I love my DR650 with 30,390 miles and NO failures (well, ok........I've had an occassional flat tire ).

The KTM 500 EXC is $9899. Seems they don't want me to know how much the 690's are.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #62512
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 602
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
if you ride in the lower 3/4 of the performance envelope the simple lowering will work for you, but, if you don't flip the rear spacer and move the front spacer as instructed in the shop manual, you will have more suspension travel than clearance to the fenders. Works ok until you hit the big bump, get some air, or get really hard on the brakes, then it gets messy. Do it right the peace of mind is worth the trouble.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #62513
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
The Ricor Intiminators have a piston ring like seal that seals the perimeter of the valve against the inside diameter of the fork tube. You have to be careful when installing them that you don't pinch, invert, or misposition this seal. I would imagine that could be a possible scenario if you are experiencing excessive binding/stiction.

From what I have read and my experience with the Ricor Intiminators in my bike...the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators are better suited for off road use. I have never ridden a bike with emulators before, but the Intiminators become very harsh when braking hard with the front brake over choppy terrain. This is were the inertia valve that is such a benefit fighting brake dive on the street works against you off road. Yes I'm using the recommended 5 W fork oil.

Tech23
Spot On!
Based on my dim memories of all the banter regards Iniminators vs. Emulators ... what you've described is the conclusion most came too.
Intiminators better ON ROAD, Race Tech better off road.

Thanks for the clarification and for refreshing memories on this. It's all here but hard to track down among 60K plus posts.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #62514
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Well, then, there you have it. I have now ACTUALLY gone thru all pages from 2008 to here. I was going to go back to this info. . . .so thanks A-G for summing up. ( 3000 some-odd pages?. . .good lord, what a nerd). My wife was starting to wonder why I was always on the laptop at It's A Grind or Starbucks when we had a brew. Normally I just stare out into space.. ." another bike, some other time" . . .
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #62515
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 64
Got the DR at last. Three years without a bike. Feels like a lifetime. Fitted an eagle screen yesterday. What a huge differance it makes!!!
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #62516
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Yes, I have searched the threads

Hey All:

(See subject line). I believe I am going to pick up a 2012 DR pretty soon. I have never bought a new bike but given 0% financing, I will be able to buy gear I need too.

Questions:
- How & how much can I haggle on a bike? It's easy to get this info for cars but not bikes. One dealer is posting $5,499 + $215 freight & prep

- (Again, please see subject line) - It has been a very long time since I have ridden so I have to buy all my safety gear. This leaves me with enough $ to buy luggage for commuting. Do I need to figure out what bags I want first to determine the frame I need or is there a universal system for hooking up panniers? I'll need room to leave my riding clothes, boots & helmet.

Thanks -
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #62517
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
They'll set you back about $400, but I've read good things about the HT SL racks and Mojave bags for a neat, no-fuss set up:

http://www.happy-trail.com/Mojave-So...Bags-Pair.aspx

More here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758746

Sarah
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #62518
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
I thought I had read someone say just to take the top chain roller off as it's not really needed and can cause more damage then it's worth? I wonder if they were talking about just pulling the wheel off the peg or cutting the peg off the frame as well before in can make a hole?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #62519
mercenario27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Valves

Thanks for the help, got her done last night.
1996 Suzuki GSF750 Kan.of.tuna & 1986 Honda VF700 Intercepter
mercenario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #62520
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,571
Dumb chain related question

Sorry for the noob like question but when I checked the slack in chain today I noticed that when the bike was on the side stand, the chain was sitting right on the lower roller. I measured the movement and it was over 1 1/2 inches. The lower roller is showing some wear. The question is; Is it normal for the chain to sit on the lower roller ?

Thanks
Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote