Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #62536
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Sorry for the noob like question but when I checked the slack in chain today I noticed that when the bike was on the side stand, the chain was sitting right on the lower roller. I measured the movement and it was over 1 1/2 inches. The lower roller is showing some wear. The question is; Is it normal for the chain to sit on the lower roller ?

Thanks
Canoli
"Yes". . . fairly normal. HOW MUCH it sits there can depend on your sprocket sizes, but if it didn't sit there it could mean your chain is waaaaay too tight. That chain thingy will be moving away from the roller as you get your weight on it and ride. BTW: Those adj. snails won't allow a proper adjust anyway. Mine is either at the loose limit or too tight. I'm grinding the bugger smooth today. I'll put some additional indexers of some sort for help. Remember: alignment VERY important also.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #62537
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post
"Yes". . . fairly normal. HOW MUCH it sits there can depend on your sprocket sizes, but if it didn't sit there it could mean your chain is waaaaay too tight. That chain thingy will be moving away from the roller as you get your weight on it and ride. BTW: Those adj. snails won't allow a proper adjust anyway. Mine is either at the loose limit or too tight. I'm grinding the bugger smooth today. I'll put some additional indexers of some sort for help. Remember: alignment VERY important also.
I've never worried about mine as I prefer to keep the chain on the loose side anyway. Agree about the alignment, this is your friend...

some have found their snail adjusters aren't aligned, but fortunately mine are OK.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #62538
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
930 millimeters = 36.6141732 inches
Alot of short guys around here!
every time I would stop I would fall down.
a big reason I got the DR was lower seat.
Try sitting on a Duke. I ride a DR with the seat height lowered via the factory route, and I can easily get both feet down on a Duke (31" inseam). I've heard that the 2012 Duke 690 isn't coming stateside, though. The underframe exhaust on the Duke does limit ground clearance, which might make curb-hopping a challenge.

I'm sure that the 690 Enduro can be lowered, if you really want the extra oomph over the DR.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #62539
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
Lowered pegs

So finally got some decent boots, Tech 3 to stay drier on the rides.

Test run find I am having trouble shifting as now difficult to angle my foot underneath the shifter. I know they need breaking in but just the angle needed to shift up is pretty uncomfortable, even if they were worn in.

I tried angling the shifter so I can get my boot under easier but now find I can hit it back enough to shift up. So now as heading offroad tomorrow am putting shifter back in stock position and riding with old boots on.

Do the lowered pegs you see selling out there alieviate this problem?
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #62540
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibizkit View Post

Test run find I am having trouble shifting as now difficult to angle my foot underneath the shifter. I know they need breaking in but just the angle needed to shift up is pretty uncomfortable, even if they were worn in.

I tried angling the shifter so I can get my boot under easier but now find I can hit it back enough to shift up. So now as heading offroad tomorrow am putting shifter back in stock position and riding with old boots on.

Lowered pegs might help a little but the one thing that will make the biggest difference in this case is a set of Pivot Pegz.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #62541
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post
Well, then, there you have it. I have now ACTUALLY gone thru all pages from 2008 to here. I was going to go back to this info. . . .so thanks A-G for summing up. ( 3000 some-odd pages?. . .good lord, what a nerd). My wife was starting to wonder why I was always on the laptop at It's A Grind or Starbucks when we had a brew. Normally I just stare out into space.. ." another bike, some other time" . . .
No worries Sumo ... no need to read it all ... just ask here. Most here don't mind repeating info or linking you to the Index. You have found the DR650 Index pages ... right? Lots of specific info there; short and sweet.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

I'd leave the shim washers behind and either get a FRC or TM40 Carb or get the Dyno Jet needle and DJ kit for stock Carb. Stock needle is crap. The DJ needle really wakes things up and the DR runs better all the way around with proper jetting and breathing.

Follow Jesse's advice. I screwed around with shimming and jetting for ages before I tried the DJ needle. Night and Day.

Suspension and brakes also need attention ... when you get round to it.

Near Loreto, Baja Sur - new pavement ... new tires!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #62542
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Lowered pegs might help a little but the one thing that will make the biggest difference in this case is a set of Pivot Pegz.
I was checking those out on your site.

What if they combined those pegs with the lower mount? Double whammy.

If you want I can try them out and report back
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #62543
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemory View Post
Just unscrew the original roller/post and install a set screw with blue loctite. No cutting needed. Very simple and highly recommened to avoid the big hole in frame later. I know some will argue that a properly adjusted chain will not rip out the post, BUT, I seem to have read several posts where the chain was properly adjusted and the post was still ripped off. Your choice.

Chris in Topeka
Your choice in pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
The numbers I've seen for the KTM 690 Enduro R are 331 pounds full of fuel, 65hp, 49ft-lb. For the DR650, 366 pounds, 37hp, 34ft-lb. So the weight difference is closer to 35 pounds than 20 pounds, and the power difference is night and day.
Yes, there is always the HORSEPOWER.

Quote:
For me it's low maintenance and simplicity. But I can easily see how riders wanting a lot more power are going to go KTM, Husky, or Husaberg. High-compression liquid-cooled engines are what's required for that.
I can understand the draw. I owned a 400cc 2 stroke; it was a rush and light. As another victim of a 30" inseam, I'll never know.

Quote:
$10.2K is what I've seen for 690 MSRP.
Thanks for finding the $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
930 millimeters = 36.6141732 inches
Alot of short guys around here!
every time I would stop I would fall down.
+1 With my DR at stock height and a Corbin, it's tippy toes only.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #62544
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
I was checking those out on your site.

What if they combined those pegs with the lower mount? Double whammy.

If you want I can try them out and report back
Thanks for the offer but there's really no need. I have the lowered Pivot Pegz combo on my own DR and would never go back to the stock peg setup.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #62545
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Thanks for the offer but there's really no need. I have the lowered Pivot Pegz combo on my own DR and would never go back to the stock peg setup.
Beer of the day RED CHAIR NWPA from Bend Oregon.
So have you heard from Acerbis on the tanks? It is riding season in Arizona!
I think I may give the lowered Pivot Pegz combo a try. next order sure it will be soon.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #62546
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

First use of NEW, stiff off road boots are always a challenge, very weird feeling ... but hang in ... you will adapt to them. This is common and well known. Buying a bunch of stuff you don't really need is fine ... but a couple days riding on the bike using the new boots ... all will be fine.

Golng up one spline on the shift lever can help (it's what I do) but mostly you'll need to get used to the numb feel with the Dirt bike boots on your feet. They won't really break in all that much (plastic guards prevent this) but your brain will adapt over time and miles, re-learn muscle memory. Takes a day or two riding for most.

Good news regards new boots is they can save broken toes, ankle or foot and even Tibia ... but are very awkward at first.

BTW, if you want them to be waterproof ... use SNO-SEAL on the leather, bake in a very low oven (125F max) for 10 minutes. Do this every season. Dry feet.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #62547
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,763
^^^^^^ +1
This was a stiff pair of boots!! I loved them.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #62548
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

The KTM 500 EXC is $9899. Seems they don't want me to know how much the 690's are.
If you got to ask, you can't afford it.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #62549
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
^^^^^^ +1
This was a stiff pair of boots!! I loved them.

Captain America boots!!!!!!!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #62550
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
First use of NEW, stiff off road boots are always a challenge, very weird feeling ... but hang in ... you will adapt to them. This is common and well known. Buying a bunch of stuff you don't really need is fine ... but a couple days riding on the bike using the new boots ... all will be fine.

Golng up one spline on the shift lever can help (it's what I do) but mostly you'll need to get used to the numb feel with the Dirt bike boots on your feet. They won't really break in all that much (plastic guards prevent this) but your brain will adapt over time and miles, re-learn muscle memory. Takes a day or two riding for most.

Good news regards new boots is they can save broken toes, ankle or foot and even Tibia ... but are very awkward at first.

BTW, if you want them to be waterproof ... use SNO-SEAL on the leather, bake in a very low oven (125F max) for 10 minutes. Do this every season. Dry feet.
Thanks for the advice. Find I really have to hyperextend to get under the shift lever.
Did the spline move and will stick to road for a bit with new boots. As for now riding in the old and coming back with wet feet tomorrow.