Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #62641
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Makes sense. I'll swap it around tomorrow.

Thanks
I went and uploaded a pic encase you didn't see the edit...
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #62642
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Picture

http://www.bikebandit.com/2011-suzuk...2590#sch699793
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
So I'm reassembling the carb, and I have some extra parts >_>.. specifically an o-ring that I didn't see where it came from and have no idea where it goes. The service manual shows three o-rings, I know where two of them go. The third one the service manual doesn't specify where it goes in the assembly of the carb...... please help
go to link, ome, click on fuel and get the carb picture and blow it up.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #62643
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
Edit: The DR is happy with the stock 42.5 pilot jet.

If you took this out:

It might be this o-ring:

Yes, there's supposed to be a hose on that nipple.

It goes here (right side frame rail, next to snorkel), no filter, open end:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 03:40 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #62644
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Picture

http://www.bikebandit.com/2011-suzuk...2590#sch699782
Quote:
Makes sense. I'll swap it around tomorrow.

Thanks
click the link and click the full page in bottom rt corner.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #62645
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Charging/Battery Problem

I'm having some sort of charging/battery problem with my DR. I bought the bike a month or so ago and was warned by the PO that the battery was on its way out. Sure enough the battery would discharge quickly when the bike was left for a few days and even lost charge when the bike was running, getting so low that the bike wouldn't run properly, I guess due to lack of spark?

So I bought a new battery and the bike seemed to be running alright. I then put the bike in a container and shipped it to my new home in Hawaii. In the 2 weeks that the bike was in transit it completely lost its charge. To the point where I had no headlight, no taillight, nothing. I jump started it, let it run for 15 minutes, and nothing. No charge at all.

SO... I bought a battery charger/maintainer and a multimeter. I let it sit on charge overnight until the charger indicated charged completely. I measured the voltage: 13.0v. I started the bike, revved it a little and checked the voltage: 12.4v. It seems like the voltage should be higher when the bike it running, no?

So I'm thinking the regulator/rectifier or alternator is bad, but that wouldn't explain why the bike is discharging when it sits for a time, right?

Any suggestions?!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #62646
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
I'm having some sort of charging/battery problem with my DR. I bought the bike a month or so ago and was warned by the PO that the battery was on its way out. Sure enough the battery would discharge quickly when the bike was left for a few days and even lost charge when the bike was running, getting so low that the bike wouldn't run properly, I guess due to lack of spark?

So I bought a new battery and the bike seemed to be running alright. I then put the bike in a container and shipped it to my new home in Hawaii. In the 2 weeks that the bike was in transit it completely lost its charge. To the point where I had no headlight, no taillight, nothing. I jump started it, let it run for 15 minutes, and nothing. No charge at all.

SO... I bought a battery charger/maintainer and a multimeter. I let it sit on charge overnight until the charger indicated charged completely. I measured the voltage: 13.0v. I started the bike, revved it a little and checked the voltage: 12.4v. It seems like the voltage should be higher when the bike it running, no?

So I'm thinking the regulator/rectifier or alternator is bad, but that wouldn't explain why the bike is discharging when it sits for a time, right?

Any suggestions?!

A bad battery sometimes behaves like that. I have recent experience with that. When you bought the new battery, did you fully trickle-charge it before installing it?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #62647
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
A bad battery sometimes behaves like that. I have recent experience with that. When you bought the new battery, did you fully trickle-charge it before installing it?
No, just put it in the bike. It started right up, seemed fine. Then by the time it got to Hawaii it was completely dead. Maybe something is draining the battery when it's not running? But why does the voltage drop when it is running? Shouldn't it be higher?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #62648
harryhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
My new boots are Gaerne Balance Oiled. I have wide feet and big calves. The boots were comfortable right out of the box.

i got the waterproof ones, can walk and change gears all day, love them
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #62649
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Michelin Anakee 2's on my '98.....Put a hundred miles on them today and like them a lot. Smooth, quiet and not bad on dirt roads.

I've been running Pirelli Scorpions on my DR and have been happy with them so far. Pavement and dirt roads for me and they work well so far. I'm going to try some Anakee's for my next set though.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #62650
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
shaddix:
Good pics, well lit, sharp focus, good macro.
But we want to see the porcelin coloring, please. Smaller would be good, for the guys still on dial-up. I think this is one of my original DR plugs, still lying on my desk.
What is this dial-up I hear of
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #62651
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkSteel View Post
No, just put it in the bike. It started right up, seemed fine. Then by the time it got to Hawaii it was completely dead. Maybe something is draining the battery when it's not running? But why does the voltage drop when it is running? Shouldn't it be higher?
You have to properly condition a new battery when you first activate it. It needs to be on a trickle charger or a Battery Tender until it's fully charged after you add the acid. I suspect that the new battery died on the way to Hawaii.

You can't trust voltage readings when a bad battery is in line. I don't know why they behave that way, but that's exactly how mine behaved when the battery died...it showed a drop in voltage with the engine running.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #62652
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
slide is drilled, and it has the funky screws and someone already changed the phillips head screws out with the hex screws

edit.. I'm a moron it says right on the jet what size it is.... 145 main jet bbut don't know if it's DJ or that other one... pilot jet says 52 PI... does that make sense?

This last photo is showing a port that had no hose connected to it when I was removing it from the bike, however in the guide I was following, i think it shows there is a hose connected to it... I do not know what this is for or what hose I am missing
That looks like a Procycle Jet kit, so the 145 should be a stock jet, meaning not a DJ jet, 52 sounds to big for pilot
Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #62653
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 99
First Off Road Ride of the Season

Thought I would share some pics of my ride today. DR rode well. This is a ride up and over Mount Herman Road to Rampart Range Road then Woodland Park. Colorado. The mountain is Pike's Peak.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=e9053f12fb
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #62654
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Tunning by spark plug color is alittle tougher these days,gas burns alot cleaner.Google it,alot different these days:arc(where,timming),) on eletrode,color (how many,heat range) on threads and the color on the base(inside,wide open) of the insolator.
Yeah, it used to be so easy. Ride WFO for at least 30 seconds, kill the motor, drift to a stop and read plug. Black = too rich (main jet), brown = perfect, white = too lean.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #62655
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
That looks like a Procycle Jet kit, so the 145 should be a stock jet, meaning not a DJ jet, 52 sounds to big for pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Edit: The DR is happy with the stock 42.5 pilot jet.

Yes, there's supposed to be a hose on that nipple.

It goes here (right side frame rail, next to snorkel), no filter, open end:
Found where the o-ring goes!

That hose was just floating around underneath the seat... i'll stick it back on tomorrow.

I will see if I can find a smaller pilot jet to order online.... I'm never taking the carb completely out again because that was a massive pain in the butt to get it back into those rubber boots......
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote