User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #62716
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Oh crap.

Looks like I gotta read 4195 posts to catch up on the bike I just bought today...

I guess I'll sleep next month...

Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color

And yet another Edit to say I think my first mods will be the Pro Cycle Seat kit, bash plate, D606s, and suspension.(re-valve & re-spring for my fat arse)

I'll save the intake/exhaust mods for later...

notarat screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 04:54 PM Reason: posts...not pages
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #62717
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I called Sudco and they told me they do not carry parts for the BST40 carb. Those parts are Suzuki only. Unless I could provide them with Sudco part numbers, they could not help me. That's disappointing.
Sorry about the bad lead! I got parts for my FCR there and just assumed they would have the BST parts as well.

Next place to try my be inmate motolab!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528038

Also lot's of great info in the BST Bible thread....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

and on Rob's web site.

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_012.htm

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #62718
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Sounds good. I think I am going with the 17 / 4.25 rear and 19 / 2.50 up front. But I love the front of your bike as it looks real stable. I am tired of getting caught in 2 - 4" cracks that are in the freeways at times as my bikes current OEM 21 front likes to follow those cracks. I call them Satans autopilot cracks.
SM or adventure front set up looks real appealing with either a 17 or 19 up front.
boulder

Boulder: I relate to those Satan cracks. Those demons exist as friggin inline road splits elsewhere and have soiled me enough times. Those guys who haven't almost scraped an elbow from those haven't a reason in the world for a wide 19" or 17". That's ok. A guy should set-up for where they spend 98% of their time, s'pose. OR for what rep's their greatest terror.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #62719
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Wow very nice!!

So you added the Ohlins spring?
No the new forks still need to go to the shop to have the Ohlins cartridges fitted and the rear shock serviced and re valved.
The TR5T has taken priority over the DR.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...T/IMG_2137.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...d/IMG_2273.jpg

The Eldorado is waiting for a going over also and the Hypermotard needs a new chain etc.
Poor old DR waits.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #62720
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
I purchased a Superbrace from Procycle and installed it per instructions. Measuring between the brace and the fender mounting bosses (fender removed) with the front supported off the ground there is 8 1/4 inches of clearance.With the fender installed it would be an inch or so less. My bike is not lowered. The front suspension travel is supposed to be 10.2 inches, so the brace is going to be hitting hard parts long before the fork gets to the end of travel. If you look closely at DirtySumo's picture (post 62853) you can see that there is nothing like 10+ inches of clearance. I have emailed both the maker and Procycle about the problem, but have not yet received a reply, when I do I will post it here.
Post it when you hear from them.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #62721
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I was going to get one thinking "I will never use all the suspension anyway"...yeh right! I had a spare tube zip tied to my front fender (all the way around so the tie was under the fender too) and was riding down a nice dirt road and hit a washed out area about 2 ft deep- 3 ft wide! How I didn't crash is beyond me, but that spare tube went flying from the front tire taking out the zip ties! Made me wonder: would I have crashed with 2" less travel?

Like I tell my wife- Two more inches isn't important until you need it!

There you go then. . . " No more for Brace for You !" heh heh.. . ( I hope Seinfeld doesn't file ) .
Glad you didn't crash. I think the brace is more for people who are more concerned about street stability than off-road fork travel.. . . and even then for guys that have lots of front tire grip in turns. Unlike most DR's , I suppose mine is a bastard. Fits the owner, tho.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #62722
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Oh crap.

Looks like I gotta read 4195 posts to catch up on the bike I just bought today...
4195 pages, 62915 posts.

Quote:
Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color.

Quote:
After you read a few posts/pages, it will become apparent that intake/exhaust mods cause as much heartache as satisfaction; kinda like a redheaded any girl friend.

Welcome

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #62723
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
4195 pages, 62915 posts.

After you read a few posts/pages, it will become apparent that intake/exhaust mods cause as much heartache as satisfaction; kinda like a redheaded any girl friend.

Welcome
And to think my first edit was to change pages to posts...I guess I was right, but then I was wrong.

Then I went to pro cycle and got

Front Disk Fork guard
Case Armor
Skid Plate
Clean-up Backside Kit
Seat Concepts Foam & Cover kit

I think I should stop shopping soon or I'll be sleeping in a van down by the river...

I'm actually going to try my hardest not to mod the intake/exhaust to limit myself on performance. I ride with a pair of complete novice riders. As in one of them is getting his permit next month. (he rides well in the field...no road experience at all.) I don't want to find myself too far ahead of them, or make them feel they need to "keep up" and cause 'em to exceed their own capabilities. The cynic in me says, "yeah...that'll last a week." but I'm gonna give it an honest try.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #62724
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Just read the last 100 pages...

Quote:
Oh crap.

I guess I'll sleep next month...

Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color

And yet another Edit to say I think my first mods will be the Pro Cycle Seat kit, bash plate, D606s, and suspension.(re-valve & re-spring for my fat arse)

JUST READ THE LAST 100 PAGES. EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD GETS RECYCLED ABOUT EVERY 20 PAGES. WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE, WHAT TIRES SHOULD I BUY, HOW DO I ADJUST THE JETTING IN MY CARBURETOR, ETC? OVER AND OVER, AND....SO ON.

BUT, THERE IS SOME VERY GOOD INFORMATION HERE, SORTING THROUGH IS THE PROBLEM.

YOU WILL LOVE THE DR650!!

RIDE SAFE,

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #62725
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Follow PC install instructions

Quote:
And to think my first edit was to change pages to posts...I guess I was right, but then I was wrong.

Then I went to pro cycle and got

Front Disk Fork guard
Case Armor
Skid Plate
Clean-up Backside Kit
Seat Concepts Foam & Cover kit

I think I should stop shopping soon or I'll be sleeping in a van down by the river...

I'm actually going to try my hardest not to mod the intake/exhaust to limit myself on performance. I ride with a pair of complete novice riders. As in one of them is getting his permit next month. (he rides well in the field...no road experience at all.) I don't want to find myself too far ahead of them, or make them feel they need to "keep up" and cause 'em to exceed their own capabilities. The cynic in me says, "yeah...that'll last a week." but I'm gonna give it an honest try.
On the case armor make sure you put the right amount of high-temp red RTV silicone on, this is a very important part of the armor shock. I still think I could of put it on a little thicker.

zdiver1 screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 07:39 PM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #62726
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD GETS RECYCLED ABOUT EVERY 20 PAGES. WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE, WHAT TIRES SHOULD I BUY, HOW DO I ADJUST THE JETTING IN MY CARBURETOR, ETC? OVER AND OVER, AND....SO ON.
So true...

And there's also 10 answers to every question from 10 different people...but, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just a tad superfluous.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #62727
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
Quote:
JUST READ THE LAST 100 PAGES. EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD GETS RECYCLED ABOUT EVERY 20 PAGES. WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE, WHAT TIRES SHOULD I BUY, HOW DO I ADJUST THE JETTING IN MY CARBURETOR, ETC? OVER AND OVER, AND....SO ON.
Cynic.

Quote:
BUT, THERE IS SOME VERY GOOD INFORMATION HERE, SORTING THROUGH IS THE PROBLEM.
Ohhhhhh, lookie here: Krusty's DR650SE INDEX. The idea is to keep the daily drivel here, on the DR650 Thread. The INDEX is meant for answers, not questions: "The Good Stuff".

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

Quote:
YOU WILL LOVE THE DR650!!

RIDE SAFE,

Taz9

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #62728
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
So I went for a ride Monday on some kinda gnarly, sometimes rocky, tight singletrack. No doubt I'm still new to this whole dirtbike thing, but wrestling my DR was a bear.

It didn't help that my battery died for unexplained reasons, and I had to push this 400lb-ish beast 1/2 mile up and down this gnarliness (~3 hrs pushin'). Bump starting was a no-go on at least a dozen tries.

So, do you guys even bother riding this stuff with the DR? I'm feeling like I need something in the 250-400cc range for this stuff... and a kick start. The DR just feels like it's too heavy, too big and not enough suspension travel (I bottomed out many times).

:(

Sent from a little black box.
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #62729
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
To big?

Hello.

Love my dr but kind of agree. Been riding forever and got the dr as better on freeway to get to off road places in SoCal.
Went to Anza Borrego Desert two weeks ago and went up a rocky road. My friend went up 4 sections on his xt225 and I fell 3 times going up and once going down. My fat ass on the lowered bike bottomed out many times. Huge dent in my Utah skid plate. Off road on technical stuff I should be riding something smaller and lighter but will try and get used to it as I really like it everywhere else.

Heirhead

heirhead screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 10:22 PM Reason: punkuation!!!!!
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #62730
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
So I went for a ride Monday on some kinda gnarly, sometimes rocky, tight singletrack. No doubt I'm still new to this whole dirtbike thing, but wrestling my DR was a bear.

It didn't help that my battery died for unexplained reasons, and I had to push this 400lb-ish beast 1/2 mile up and down this gnarliness (~3 hrs pushin'). Bump starting was a no-go on at least a dozen tries.

So, do you guys even bother riding this stuff with the DR? I'm feeling like I need something in the 250-400cc range for this stuff... and a kick start. The DR just feels like it's too heavy, too big and not enough suspension travel (I bottomed out many times).

:(

Sent from a little black box.
Skid plate, appropriate tyres, lower gearing.

That said, I prefer my little TT350 for playing on now. Get stuck on a few steep hillsides and you'll be wishing for a magic button to start the bugger though.