Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #62731
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
So I went for a ride Monday on some kinda gnarly, sometimes rocky, tight singletrack. No doubt I'm still new to this whole dirtbike thing, but wrestling my DR was a bear.

It didn't help that my battery died for unexplained reasons, and I had to push this 400lb-ish beast 1/2 mile up and down this gnarliness (~3 hrs pushin'). Bump starting was a no-go on at least a dozen tries.

So, do you guys even bother riding this stuff with the DR? I'm feeling like I need something in the 250-400cc range for this stuff... and a kick start. The DR just feels like it's too heavy, too big and not enough suspension travel (I bottomed out many times).

:(

Sent from a little black box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello.

Love my dr but kind of agree. Been riding forever and got the dr as better on freeway to get to off road places in SoCal.
Went to Anza Borrego Desert two weeks ago and went up a rocky road. My friend went up 4 sections on his xt225 and I fell 3 times going up and once going down. My fat ass on the lowered bike bottomed out many times. Huge dent in my Utah skid plate. Off road on technical stuff I should be riding something smaller and lighter but will try and get used to it as I really like it everywhere else.

Heirhead
Sounds like you guys are discovering why I decided to do a Supermoto conversion on my DR. The DR will always be a heavy dirt bike. The more technical the terrain the more it's shortcomings become apparent. In Supermoto form I ended up with a good handling, nimble, lightweight street bike. I only ride street these days but I did the dual sport (enduro) bike thing back in the early eighties. The more serious I got about riding off road on my XL 600R the less I liked it, but it was a blast on the street. I ended up getting real dirt bikes for off road work, they just plain work better. Even a smaller displacement dual sport will be more forgiving on the trail but... it will be less comfortable on the street. Compromise bikes are just that. IMO it's true what they say about off road bikes...it's more to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #62732
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Horses for courses guys !!! i'm 5ft 9in and 12 stone piss wet through and have taken my DR 650 places a goat wouldn't go , but i'm a bit nuts
Did Morocco last year Tar , Sand , Dry river beds and steep boulder stroon gorges !!!! do have to admit i wish i was on my DR250 at times but thats no magic button
A smaller bike will nearly always do better than a lump in tech stuff but once you get the balance of the beast it's amazing where you can push it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #62733
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
quote "Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color"

I like that. I think its a colour that will grow on you. Agree about the seat.
Post some picks
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #62734
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
The DR is of course not as nimble as my WR450, but it'll go where ya point it if you can hang on.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index..._1#entry115479

Watch the rocky trail video on page 2 if ya want.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #62735
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper
Sorry about the bad lead! I got parts for my FCR there and just assumed they would have the BST parts as well.

Next place to try my be inmate motolab!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528038

Also lot's of great info in the BST Bible thread....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

and on Rob's web site.

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_012.htm
No problem on Sudco. And, I had a nice chat with Derek (motolab) over lunch. It appears I need to check quite a few other things to be sure my carb is good-to-go for the long haul. Might as well do it right the first time.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #62736
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Horses for courses guys !!! i'm 5ft 9in and 12 stone piss wet through and have taken my DR 650 places a goat wouldn't go , but i'm a bit nuts
Did Morocco last year Tar , Sand , Dry river beds and steep boulder stroon gorges !!!! do have to admit i wish i was on my DR250 at times but thats no magic button
A smaller bike will nearly always do better than a lump in tech stuff but once you get the balance of the beast it's amazing where you can push it.

SOOOoooooo true.
Tech23 is also on.
Looooong ago, there I was on top of a ridge, waaaay up a knarly single track trail that had me thinking I just made it up a trail few humans have reached. I AM AMAZING on my 250.
Then up blasts two guys on a couple of beat-up Honda big-bore dual-sports like they were looking for the local cafe.
They weren't even dirty. Heck. I'd just crashed out ten times trying, and had to go partly down in places because it was too knarly twisy steep to start back up.
I've returned there since, a hundred times on a thumper. Sheeese, like going up a driveway. We learn.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #62737
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
How concerned should I be that the "new" pick up pulser coil I bought from Regulator Rectifier is testing at 360 ohms (when the Suzuki manual puts it at 170 to 256 ohms)?

I only tested it on a whim, not considering that the new one might have problems. But it is is pretty consistent at 360-365 ohms on the multimeter with the attached wires. Should I just put it in and see what happens? Hate to have to do this twice.
That spec in the manual is really only useful for testing the OEM pulse coil. If the original pulse coil tests out of spec then you know you have a problem. Too much resistance = broken wire or bad connection, too little resistance = internal short. That doesn't mean that the system won't work with a good coil that has different resistance. The new coil probably generates a stronger signal from the increased windings. I would write the resistance of the new coil in the manual to aid in future troubleshooting.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #62738
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
I purchased a Superbrace from Procycle and installed it per instructions. Measuring between the brace and the fender mounting bosses (fender removed) with the front supported off the ground there is 8 1/4 inches of clearance.With the fender installed it would be an inch or so less. My bike is not lowered. The front suspension travel is supposed to be 10.2 inches, so the brace is going to be hitting hard parts long before the fork gets to the end of travel. If you look closely at DirtySumo's picture (post 62853) you can see that there is nothing like 10+ inches of clearance. I have emailed both the maker and Procycle about the problem, but have not yet received a reply, when I do I will post it here.
None of the DRs around the shop have a Superbrace installed so I can't take a close look. I haven't ever heard about an interference problem and after reading many thousands of forum posts I believe this is the first time this has been mentioned. I'm interested to know what the manufacturer says but I suggest you get their permission before repeating their private reply to you in a public forum.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #62739
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Last Sunday I started the DR maybe 25 times. After about 5 starts, and when the motor was at operating temperature, when I pushed the Start button, simultaneous with the immediate ignition/run was a loud "clink." Heard the noise during two of the next five starts, then never again. Never before, either.

The noise sounded exactly like what you'd hear by striking two open-end wrenches together.

I've thought about this and looked around this site, but came up with nothing. I thought about the problem the previous generation of DR had with the starter, but mine's too new for that. My bike is a 2009 with 14+k miles on the odometer, well cared for.

I have occasionally hear the mild "screech" sound on starting a cold engine, indicating that I'll need to grease the end bearing in the starter motor this Summer.

Anyone else hear this noise? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lex
That's kinda weird or eery but mine has done the same thing twice in the last week. BUT mine was at first start when cold, I'm talking 32F. And I have 20W50 oil in it, so I figured mine was due to lack of oil at those temps. Never intended to be riding the DR this early but hey the snow melted, the driveway was clear.

Haven't heard it again in the past few days since it's now warmed up, 46F. Mine's a 2007 w/ 11,000kms on it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #62740
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 558
There was a post sometine back or on another forum where the guy was selling his brace because it hit his fender. I haven't mounted my brace yet but will be doing so in about a week. Will try to post if there is a problem of not.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
None of the DRs around the shop have a Superbrace installed so I can't take a close look. I haven't ever heard about an interference problem and after reading many thousands of forum posts I believe this is the first time this has been mentioned. I'm interested to know what the manufacturer says but I suggest you get their permission before repeating their private reply to you in a public forum.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #62741
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
There was a post sometine back or on another forum where the guy was selling his brace because it hit his fender. I haven't mounted my brace yet but will be doing so in about a week. Will try to post if there is a problem of not.

TravelGuy

Was it the superbrace or the RSW brace? The RSW brace will interfere with the fender much easier than the superbrace.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #62742
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello.

Love my dr but kind of agree. Been riding forever and got the dr as better on freeway to get to off road places in SoCal.
Went to Anza Borrego Desert two weeks ago and went up a rocky road. My friend went up 4 sections on his xt225 and I fell 3 times going up and once going down. My fat ass on the lowered bike bottomed out many times. Huge dent in my Utah skid plate. Off road on technical stuff I should be riding something smaller and lighter but will try and get used to it as I really like it everywhere else.

Heirhead
Most of the time the DR makes it through stuff just fine when set up right and you take it slow. My DR got nicknamed "The Water Buffalo" by my friends. It's big and heavy and tries to buck you off when you start hitting stuff too fast. I only got turned around a couple of times on the trails, and those were at single track hillclimbs with sharp turns, rocks and roots. The DR will get you through just about anything you need to when traveling, but for doing technical trail riding, it's a couple of generations behind a real dirt bike and about 50lbs ahead. I used to wonder why people complained about the stock suspension until I got off fire roads and onto technical trails. I have a lot more fun on the trails with my WR400. I can go faster and don't feel completely exhausted after a mile of trails.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #62743
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post

I've returned there since, a hundred times on a thumper. Sheeese, like going up a driveway. We learn.
People ask me how i learned to wheelie so well. I tell them it's like playing PacMac, you put in enough quarters and you get better. Wheelies, you buy enough rear fenders, you get better. I ride my DR650 places that would have been un rideable to me as a noob, even on a full race ready offroad bike. Time in the seat will make you better.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #62744
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordieboy View Post
skid plate, appropriate tyres, lower gearing.

and buy a new battery or figure out why it isn't charging, so the button works, because it is a lot easer to ride it than to push it
fixed
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #62745
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
fixed
I only get 2 seasons out of a battery. When they are marginal, even though they will turn the motor over, they won't fire up. Mine was to the point this spring, that unless I had it on the charger right before I tried starting, it wouldn't start up. New battery, touch the button and it's running. Must need plenty of juice to spin the motor and feed the ignition.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote