Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #62746
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I only get 2 seasons out of a battery. When they are marginal, even though they will turn the motor over, they won't fire up. Mine was to the point this spring, that unless I had it on the charger right before I tried starting, it wouldn't start up. New battery, touch the button and it's running. Must need plenty of juice to spin the motor and feed the ignition.
Speaking of, what is the best brand to buy? I heard Westco is good?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #62747
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,218
Yes. I used Westcos in my bmw's with good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #62748
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
That spec in the manual is really only useful for testing the OEM pulse coil. If the original pulse coil tests out of spec then you know you have a problem. Too much resistance = broken wire or bad connection, too little resistance = internal short. That doesn't mean that the system won't work with a good coil that has different resistance. The new coil probably generates a stronger signal from the increased windings. I would write the resistance of the new coil in the manual to aid in future troubleshooting.
Thanks a billion. That was what I was trying to figure out.

As soon as I get the new gasket from you guys (ordered it last night), I will put that one in and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #62749
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
JUST READ THE LAST 100 PAGES. EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD GETS RECYCLED ABOUT EVERY 20 PAGES. WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE, WHAT TIRES SHOULD I BUY, HOW DO I ADJUST THE JETTING IN MY CARBURETOR, ETC? OVER AND OVER, AND....SO ON.

Taz9
Hey there are New DR owners coming on like me everyday! We need to hear about all the great mod and fix ideas people like you have and had gotten from others when you started as a noob! Now if I can just get rid of the XT on my Avatar and put up my new DR that would be great!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #62750
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
sorry

sorry guys, i was just feeling down about the experience.

i felt so exhausted and the bike was such a beast on the trail... it's not worth replacing the DR with something else, I just need a trail bike. and then i need a guzzi. then i'll need a street tracker. probably a sport bike........
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #62751
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
So I went for a ride Monday on some kinda gnarly, sometimes rocky, tight singletrack. No doubt I'm still new to this whole dirtbike thing, but wrestling my DR was a bear.
Give yourself a break. The DR is not the easiest to manage single track bike ... especially for a Noob dirt rider. If you're serious about learning off road riding, get a 250 to start on. Far less intimidating and lots more fun.

Quote:
It didn't help that my battery died for unexplained reasons, and I had to push this 400lb-ish beast 1/2 mile up and down this gnarliness (~3 hrs pushin'). Bump starting was a no-go on at least a dozen tries.
I'd guess lack of technique regards bump starting. Off road, bumping is a learned skill ... and having assistance helps. I would never push that bike ... that is insane. Tow Rope, Foot peg push, anything but you pushing. Get it running. You do realize the DR650 will bump start and run fine ... even with a dead battery?

No doubt your battery is finished. Many riders don't discover their battery is near it's end until they've done repeated stalls and re-starts, which is typical when riding off road. It's a small battery, not much in reserve.

Quote:
So, do you guys even bother riding this stuff with the DR? I'm feeling like I need something in the 250-400cc range for this stuff... and a kick start. The DR just feels like it's too heavy, too big and not enough suspension travel (I bottomed out many times).
Suspension works better once upgraded ... but more seat time is what you really need.

I chose my Off Road riding carefully when riding my near 390lbs DR650. (IMS tank full of fuel) I've been riding dirt bikes for decades but still, the DR is not really a single track weapon. Fine on dirt roads, two track, even Desert sand. But steep, technical single track is not it's strong suit.

Once you do a couple years on a smaller "real" dirt bikes and learn to tackle more technical stuff, then the DR650 gets easier to manage. Seat time and technique always help.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #62752
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:

i felt so exhausted and the bike was such a beast on the trail... it's not worth replacing the DR with something else, I just need a trail bike. and then i need a guzzi. then i'll need a street tracker. probably a sport bike........
add a set of 'motard wheels to your dr650; a 'tarded dr650 makes a pretty sweet sport bike...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #62753
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,323
From memory, on the dr, the battery has nothing to do with the ignition system.
I thought it had its own coil on the stator to power the cdi unit, plus the trigger coil.
So if the battery was stone dead, you could push start the dr just fine.

Quote:
I only get 2 seasons out of a battery. When they are marginal, even though they will turn the motor over, they won't fire up. Mine was to the point this spring, that unless I had it on the charger right before I tried starting, it wouldn't start up. New battery, touch the button and it's running. Must need plenty of juice to spin the motor and feed the ignition.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #62754
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
From memory, on the dr, the battery has nothing to do with the ignition system.
So if the battery was stone dead, you could push start the dr just fine.
What! Who wants to play Fred Flintstone! Battery=Key part of ignition system!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #62755
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,323
Getting tired is good for you, you get used to it, then don't get tired any more.
On my dr with upgraded suspension, the weight of the bike only bothered me on big endless whoops, and crashing.
And really, just the crashing. I could slow down for the whoops.

A little lighter bike is easier and more fun, but it does not have the power/torque, or cant be ridden to the dirt, or needs rebuilding every month.

The wr250 would be a better pick for really rough stuff I hear.

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #62756
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
What! Who wants to play Fred Flintstone! Battery=Key part of ignition system!
His point is that you can BUMP START your DR650 ... even with a dead battery.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #62757
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
I would do whatever it takes to avoid pushing a DR for 3 hours on hilly single-track!

2 years is terrible. Do you buy good batteries? I buy Yuasa because they seem to be the best, and batteries are 1 thing I don't worry about getting a cheaper alternative. I shop for the best price on the best battery, but not the cheapest battery.

Our bikes stay on a Battery Tender Junior year-round, unless parked away from home. The previous owner said my 2006 had the original battery in it. I bought it in Aug 2011, and it has never missed a beat. I will replace it regardless, if the bike decides to stick around in my garage after this season.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #62758
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...Search=PTX9-BS about $45 shipped. with one year warranty.

I bought this same battery from another vendor, almost 3 years and still running strong...
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #62759
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
I'd buy the Yuasa YTX9-BS

Here is the first vendor I found price is decent:
http://www.atbatt.com/product/23902/...tx9-bs/battery

jon_l screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 01:46 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #62760
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Upgrade your springs...OEM springs are too soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
There was a post sometine back or on another forum where the guy was selling his brace because it hit his fender. I haven't mounted my brace yet but will be doing so in about a week. Will try to post if there is a problem of not.

TravelGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
None of the DRs around the shop have a Superbrace installed so I can't take a close look. I haven't ever heard about an interference problem and after reading many thousands of forum posts I believe this is the first time this has been mentioned. I'm interested to know what the manufacturer says but I suggest you get their permission before repeating their private reply to you in a public forum.
I have a Superbrace on my 2005 DR650. It broke my Acerbis supermoto fender after bottoming out a few times. I am 180 LBS without gear and have the IMS 4.9gal tank along with tank panniers (tubes, irons, & small pump inside). I have Ricor Intiminators and was running Eibach .48kg straight rate springs (I think stock is .45kg?), which still is under sprung. I have since upgraded to the big boy .55kg straight rate springs found on the ProCycle website (the item description states it is for aggressive riders). The difference is night & day! The on-road plushness is no longer there but it rides and tracks so much better off-road. The fork eats up the rocks, bumps, and ruts without much notice compared to before.

If you are looking for improved off-road manners and are willing to sacrifice on-road plushness, get yourself some stiffer springs. It will transform your machine into a more dirt-friendly one. It worked for me, YMMV.

Just my .02cents

M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote