ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #62851
oldcodger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You young guys and your technology.

I never had a paypal account. Never even been to FaceBook and this new ad on TV touting the AT&T feed that allows you to have the TV anywhere in the house. I've had that all my life, it's called an antenna. Yep, I don't have cable. When I finally got the Internet in late 2005, I sent an email to my sister declaring that I was "on", she emailed me back saying "welcome to the '90's" That's why I like my DR650 so much, reminds me of the good ole days, but with electronic ignition (we use to have points for the young'uns) and better brakes.

Frank: what the hell is tapatalk?
I'm another oldschool type, but I have a PayPal account. It insulates my card from the internet and vendors who would (wrongfully) store the card details on their virus-ridden Windows based systems. I've only used the card directly a couple of times in the past couple of years and a couple of times it has been maxed out by scum bags.
Cash is nice, but difficult to securely send across the country or the world and has the disadvantage of zero financial and consumer protections.

PayPal is not perfect, but it is better than nothing and when dealing with online vendors it is a deal breaker if it is not available.
oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #62852
french horn
Just Add venture
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bundaberg Qld. Australia
Oddometer: 416
Talking about SAFARI TANKS.....

I installed mine last weekend, during the week a workmate noticed that the bracket for the reflector on the left fork leg had caused a gouge to the tank. I prevented further damage by filing the top corner of the bracket. I should have noticed the contact point during the install but due to the close fit and the brakeline in the way, I simply missed it.

Posting this as an alert to others to check the area (left and right sides) .

Cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #62853
justscoutin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
justscoutin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee, Chattanooga
Oddometer: 127
anyone got pics of shinko 700's on their DR? can't seem to find a pic of them mounted. thanks.
__________________
03 DR650 xo40f muffler, jetted
98 Bandit 1200 in pieces
72 SL125 mid-restoration
72 SL70
Save Aetna Offroad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758193
justscoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #62854
Nibis
Where to next?
 
Nibis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Troy, Mo.
Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Sad but you're probably right. I think most riders that take pride in their machines consider the fuel tank to be the center of attention when looking at their bike or even others bikes. Of all the aftermarket large capacity tanks there is always some discussion about how they look on the bike. Most riders feel bad when they go down or somehow damage their tanks. To have a new unit delivered in this condition says a lot about the manufacturer and the pride they take in their products. Maybe I'm just more particular than most. Accepting merchandise like this gives them no reason to change anything. I've got Coleman water jugs that have a better finish and zero flaws.

Tech23
What's sad is that they could just recycle it, yes they lose a bit of money, but the plastic could be ground up and reused for the next batch of blue tanks.
__________________
Jim
2008 DR650
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #62855
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You young guys and your technology.

I never had a paypal account. Never even been to FaceBook and this new ad on TV touting the AT&T feed that allows you to have the TV anywhere in the house. I've had that all my life, it's called an antenna. Yep, I don't have cable. When I finally got the Internet in late 2005, I sent an email to my sister declaring that I was "on", she emailed me back saying "welcome to the '90's" That's why I like my DR650 so much, reminds me of the good ole days, but with electronic ignition (we use to have points for the young'uns) and better brakes.

Frank: what the hell is tapatalk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
I'm another oldschool type, but I have a PayPal account. It insulates my card from the internet and vendors who would (wrongfully) store the card details on their virus-ridden Windows based systems. I've only used the card directly a couple of times in the past couple of years and a couple of times it has been maxed out by scum bags.
Cash is nice, but difficult to securely send across the country or the world and has the disadvantage of zero financial and consumer protections.

PayPal is not perfect, but it is better than nothing and when dealing with online vendors it is a deal breaker if it is not available.
old school is one thing, but no paypal? with the demise of bricks-n-mortar stores of all types, paypal is about as essential as a credit card was thirty years ago, me-thinks. i am w/oldcodger on this one. thanks to my kids and relatives

i have a facebook account, but i never use it. what a freaking mess that is.

i have always been an internet fan - being a cheapskate and being an information hound, i have found it to be an indispensable tool. (as i am sure everyone else has, which is why it has been such a game changer worldwide - historically on the same lever as the wheel, the iron age, the auto, the phone, etc.)

regarding cable, i don't have cable either. no need when i don't have tv! tv everywhere in the house? tv anywhere in the house is intolerable, imo!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #62856
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by justscoutin View Post
anyone got pics of shinko 700's on their DR? can't seem to find a pic of them mounted. thanks.


This is an old pic not long after I got the bike. Nice tires. I have a new set in the garage to go on when my 705s wear out.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #62857
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aerocycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Oregon (The valley)
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post


This is an old pic not long after I got the bike. Nice tires. I have a new set in the garage to go on when my 705s wear out.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NICE! I'm gonna have to buy a set, my 705's are wearing down.... well the rear is anyway. Who makes those side cases you got there? Size?
__________________
2006 DR650
Oregon Tag-O-Rama
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=752387&page=3
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #62858
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 450
Thumb Case saver chain guard

Two months ago my sons friend from LA road his 2010 Yamaha 250cc street bike to Phoenix on I-10( BIG BALLS) so when he got here he did a left hand turn and his chain came off.
He put it back on and adjusted it. so he made it back to LA and it was loose again so he adjusted again and the chain came off going 60 mph and tore a large hole in the engine case, he took it to a dealer and his warranty would not cover it but his insurance did cover it.
That is when I ordered the PC case saver.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #62859
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 450
Question Fork brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post


This is an old pic not long after I got the bike. Nice tires. I have a new set in the garage to go on when my 705s wear out.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
so how do you like your fork brace! does it hit the fender?
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #62860
Slideways#96
scooter trash
 
Slideways#96's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Oddometer: 470
dr650 rear disc guards

Anyone know of a good rear disc guard that doesn't require it be welded to swing arm? Been doing some searching but coming up empty. Any suggestions much appreciated..
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #62861
3DChief
"Moto therapist"
 
3DChief's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 411
I have been testing out my luggage and tweaking the packing the past few days. I think I made the right choice in luggage with the Giant Loop bags. I love how stable and secure they are, plus 30 seconds to install or take off is awesome! The only thing I haven't put on is the 2 gal gas can I will add when I get to the western part of the TAT. Here are a couple of pictures of my bike all loaded up for 3 months of traveling this summer:







See my trip planning thread in my sig line for more details.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #62862
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
so how do you like your fork brace! does it hit the fender?
The fork brace is long gone. Since I lowered the bike, including moving the fork tubes up about 1", it was hitting my fender regularly, until it finally broke the fender (even after notching the sides of the fender). So I put the stock fender back on and sold the brace. I couldn't tell a difference without the brace either, so I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #62863
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster
 
Flashback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Mariana Islands via Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,079
Engine oil weep

Purchased my 2009 DR used in January with an oil drip @ the shift lever. The seal had popped loose and that was an easy fix.

After I fixed the shift lever seal, the engine started weeping higher up. I narrowed it down this morning to a leak originating from the circled spot in the photo.



I've tried tightening the screws with an allen wrench (very difficult to get to) but it is still weeping.

Can someone tell me what this thing is/does and why it is on my engine?. No clue at all and no luck locating an engine diagram that tells me.

Also wondering if this is a common leak area and if there are any suggestions for how to stop the leak.

I've searched and must not be searching in the right places cause I'm striking out on finding the information I need.

- Thanks-
__________________

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #62864
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 450
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The fork brace is long gone. Since I lowered the bike, including moving the fork tubes up about 1", it was hitting my fender regularly, until it finally broke the fender (even after notching the sides of the fender). So I put the stock fender back on and sold the brace. I couldn't tell a difference without the brace either, so I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Rob
Good feedback on the brace, I have taken it off my list.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #62865
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post

Can someone tell me what this thing is/does and why it is on my engine?. No clue at all and no luck locating an engine diagram that tells me.

Also wondering if this is a common leak area and if there are any suggestions for how to stop the leak.

I've searched and must not be searching in the right places cause I'm striking out on finding the information I need.

- Thanks-

That's the cam chain tensioner. Mine leaked too. Order a new seal for it (factory part / cheap). Changing it is pretty simple, though right this instant I can't remember the exact procedure; hopefully somebody will post it again.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014