Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #62851
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Question Fork brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post

This is an old pic not long after I got the bike. Nice tires. I have a new set in the garage to go on when my 705s wear out.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
so how do you like your fork brace! does it hit the fender?
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #62852
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 519
dr650 rear disc guards

Anyone know of a good rear disc guard that doesn't require it be welded to swing arm? Been doing some searching but coming up empty. Any suggestions much appreciated..
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #62853
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I have been testing out my luggage and tweaking the packing the past few days. I think I made the right choice in luggage with the Giant Loop bags. I love how stable and secure they are, plus 30 seconds to install or take off is awesome! The only thing I haven't put on is the 2 gal gas can I will add when I get to the western part of the TAT. Here are a couple of pictures of my bike all loaded up for 3 months of traveling this summer:

See my trip planning thread in my sig line for more details.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #62854
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
so how do you like your fork brace! does it hit the fender?
The fork brace is long gone. Since I lowered the bike, including moving the fork tubes up about 1", it was hitting my fender regularly, until it finally broke the fender (even after notching the sides of the fender). So I put the stock fender back on and sold the brace. I couldn't tell a difference without the brace either, so I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #62855
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Engine oil weep

Purchased my 2009 DR used in January with an oil drip @ the shift lever. The seal had popped loose and that was an easy fix.

After I fixed the shift lever seal, the engine started weeping higher up. I narrowed it down this morning to a leak originating from the circled spot in the photo.

I've tried tightening the screws with an allen wrench (very difficult to get to) but it is still weeping.

Can someone tell me what this thing is/does and why it is on my engine?. No clue at all and no luck locating an engine diagram that tells me.

Also wondering if this is a common leak area and if there are any suggestions for how to stop the leak.

I've searched and must not be searching in the right places cause I'm striking out on finding the information I need.

- Thanks-

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #62856
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thanks

Quote:
The fork brace is long gone. Since I lowered the bike, including moving the fork tubes up about 1", it was hitting my fender regularly, until it finally broke the fender (even after notching the sides of the fender). So I put the stock fender back on and sold the brace. I couldn't tell a difference without the brace either, so I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Rob
Good feedback on the brace, I have taken it off my list.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #62857
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post

Can someone tell me what this thing is/does and why it is on my engine?. No clue at all and no luck locating an engine diagram that tells me.

Also wondering if this is a common leak area and if there are any suggestions for how to stop the leak.

I've searched and must not be searching in the right places cause I'm striking out on finding the information I need.

- Thanks-

That's the cam chain tensioner. Mine leaked too. Order a new seal for it (factory part / cheap). Changing it is pretty simple, though right this instant I can't remember the exact procedure; hopefully somebody will post it again.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #62858
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Anyone know of a good rear disc guard that doesn't require it be welded to swing arm? Been doing some searching but coming up empty. Any suggestions much appreciated..
If we could get 50 people to buy one, Scotts would build them. I've got one on my DR350 and would love to get one for the 650. I tried to drum up some interest, but could only get maybe 10 people interested. I had a thread at drriders and TT and posted in this thread a while back. Maybe I'll start a separate thread here and see if we can get more interest.

I believe if it was on Procycle's web site, it would sell.

It's not an inexpensive item, but it's really nice. Yes, it costs more than the rotor it's protecting, but I would still buy one if it was available.

I'm wondering if a complete DR350 rear end would work on my 650 so I can run the 350 version along with an 18" rear wheel for my off road wheel set. Otherwise I may break down and have one welded on my brake carrier. I know the DR350 wheel is a bolt on swap, but I don't know if the Scotts guard/brake carrier would mate up with teh 650 swing arm. I may have to give it a try since I have both here.

It replaces the brake carrier. Here's an example. This is NOT for the DR650.

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)

GaThumper screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 01:26 PM
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #62859
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,911
Quote:
Purchased my 2009 DR used in January with an oil drip @ the shift lever. The seal had popped loose and that was an easy fix.

After I fixed the shift lever seal, the engine started weeping higher up. I narrowed it down this morning to a leak originating from the circled spot in the photo.

I've tried tightening the screws with an allen wrench (very difficult to get to) but it is still weeping.

- Thanks-
It's the CCT (cam chain tensioner) and a common leak on the DR, but read this before you start.

There have been a few killed motors because guys have just jumped in (looks simple enough), without knowing the potential consequences.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/950..._fromsearch__1

Including this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715659

Edited to add the short version.

Kezzajohnson wrote:
Oil leak from Cam Chain tensioner at 24,000km roughly-cause unknown but maybe slightly overfull oil and long trip/high revs constantly. Engine to TDC on compression, remove oil pipes and exhaust header, retract and removed CCT, remove old gasket, clean up gasket surfaces and fitted new gasket with gasket goo also. refit and 6000kms later no oil leaks-clean as a babies bottom.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 01:08 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #62860
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Quote:

- Thanks-
That is your automatic cam chain tensioner (CCT) gasket. It is a pretty common leak spot. Tightening the bolts will probably not fix it. Easiest repair is a new gasket. Check out this thread for some information about it and some links to some write-ups of repairing it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636395

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #62861
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Hah...Oh boy.

I just jumped in and removed the bolts that hold it on, then it popped out on its own...all this on an incline in my driveway.

Should have found a procedure first. I'm guessing I created a problem for myself.

But sure enough the gasket is torn under the housing, clearly no amount of tightening of the mount screws would have stopped the leak.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now to see if I can put it back together.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #62862
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 519
disc guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
If we could get 50 people to buy one, Scotts would build them. I've got one on my DR350 and would love to get one for the 650. I tried to drum up some interest, but could only get maybe 10 people interested. I had a thread at drriders and posted in this thread a while back. Maybe I'll start a separate thread here and see if we can get more interest. I believe it it was on Procycle's web site, it would sell. It's not an inexpensive item, but it's really nice. Yes, it costs more than the rotor it's protecting, but I wold still buy one if it was available.

I'm wondering if a complete DR350 rear end would work on my 650 so I can run the 350 version along with an 18" rear wheel for my off road wheel set. Otherwise I may break down and have one welded on my brake carrier.

It replaces the brake carrier. Here's an example. This is NOT for the DR650.

That's what I'm talking about. That's a nice piece, thought it won't fit the 650. May have to talk to a few buddies with machine shops and see if we can get something made for mine. Seems like certain after market or non oem parts for the fatchick are had to find.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #62863
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,361
Front wheel spacer position?

Had my first flat today (nail) and was able to get a tow to a shop that would R&R the tire and put a new tube in but I had to remove and install the wheel from the bike.

No problem, just put it on its side in the parking lot and pulled the front wheel off but since the left hand side was down I didn't get a good look at the positioning of left side spacer. I reinstalled it how "I think" the spacer fits but I'm not sure its right.

Does the larger diameter end of the spacer go up aganist the fork or the wheel hub?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #62864
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,911
The small end plugs into the wheel bearing seal, the large end against the fork.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #62865
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Who makes those side cases you got there? Size?
Not my bike, but the side cases look like Givi E21's (21 L).