Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #62926
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408

I like the Shinko 700's. The front cups very little when properly inflated. I run 24 psi most of the time. The rear wears faster than a 705, but it will last as long as a TKC. That's about 4K on the bike pictured above. I usually just replace the front around the second rear. On tours I run a 700/705 combo so I can make 6K on one tire set.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #62927
Robman1204
Blah!

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
The PO of my DR did Renthal bars risers and lowered the foot pegs. He was about 6'2" or taller. TheDR is very comfy to stand on. So I suggest you do it all. Procycle has everything I believe. How is the suspension?
You know, I have o ly ridden my dr offload so I do not know anything better than what the stock suspension provides. At the time I am happy with it. I have read that tweaking it to suit my style is beneficial, but I have built my style around the stock suspension. Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I am staying stock.
Robman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #62928
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,045
I dont mind the stock shock. Forks were a .it harsh over haed hits but race tech cured that. I like my rides plush. Just take a dramimine and ride. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #62929
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,902

Stock taillight rattled apart on me the other day... I had to zip tie it together for the ride home. DRZ250 tailight is now on order. I was hoping to use the stock one for at least a season but it didn't even last me one ride.

Next up on the list of mods will be a 35w hi/lo hid system, and while I am doing that I will be getting rid of the stock switches and replacing them with some nice Highway Dirtbike's units.

New tires are on the list...I got the bike with almost new Pirelli scorpions and they seem to do alright but something more aggressive would be very nice.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #62930
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I'm sure this in in here somewhere...

Sorry for any repetition, but I didn't find any specific answers when I searched.

Just changed the clutch plates, ready to put the cover back on. My gasket came off clean and intact on the cover, and for some reason unknown to me I decided to replace it anyway since I have a new one in hand. My problem now is that it's practically welded on, requiring enough force with a blade to take small bits off that I'm concerned about damaging the cover. I'm a virgin, are there any tricks? Heat, chemical, black magic?

TIA
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #62931
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Sorry for any repetition, but I didn't find any specific answers when I searched.

Just changed the clutch plates, ready to put the cover back on. My gasket came off clean and intact on the cover, and for some reason unknown to me I decided to replace it anyway since I have a new one in hand. My problem now is that it's practically welded on, requiring enough force with a blade to take small bits off that I'm concerned about damaging the cover. I'm a virgin, are there any tricks? Heat, chemical, black magic?

TIA
The autoparts store has gasket remover that you apply. The gasket comes right off, no scraping.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #62932
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post

TIA
Gasket remover, scrape, gasket remover, scape...
Let the chemical do it's work though.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #62933
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

Stock taillight rattled apart on me the other day... I had to zip tie it together for the ride home. DRZ250 tailight is now on order. I was hoping to use the stock one for at least a season but it didn't even last me one ride.

Next up on the list of mods will be a 35w hi/lo hid system, and while I am doing that I will be getting rid of the stock switches and replacing them with some nice Highway Dirtbike's units.

New tires are on the list...I got the bike with almost new Pirelli scorpions and they seem to do alright but something more aggressive would be very nice.
pm
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #62934
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Gasket remover, scrape, gasket remover, scape...
Let the chemical do it's work though.
+1 My gasket also stuck to the cover (breaking in several pieces) . I set it on the counter, applied gasket remover, scrape etc. I try not to use a steel scraper on alum, so it took a while. I'd scrape, apply remover, watch TV, repeat. Shortened my fingernails real nice though.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #62935
njjisu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Wolfman Gen2 rack compatibility with Kientech GSXR exhaust hanger??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Was in the neighborhood and stopped by the Wolfman store to see what's new. As it turns out, Eric and Berg have developed their 2nd gen DR650 panier mounts. Not sure if they are even on the website yet. They were just in the process of kitting them up and I couldn't wait.

Brought them home and the fit-up was perfect. The mounting is incredibly solid with the addition of a 3rd mounting point (per side). Lots of options are also available for moving the turn signals (required with hard cases), cross bar support (recommended for hard cases), foot-peg elimination spacers, and spacers for other top racks.

My pics show an ebay-special top rack with an adapter plate to attach a knock-off Givi case. Never mind my broken tail light; stock bracket busted on hard trails last weekend.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Does anyone know if the Wolfman Gen2 racks will work if you have the Kientech GSXR exhaust hanger installed? It looks like it mounts to the same hole in the frame that the hanger uses.

njjisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #62936
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman1204 View Post
You know, I have o ly ridden my dr offload so I do not know anything better than what the stock suspension provides. At the time I am happy with it. I have read that tweaking it to suit my style is beneficial, but I have built my style around the stock suspension. Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I am staying stock.
that's funny cause I've been saying that to myself lately. I would like to try improved suspension, but for some of us its out of the financial boundaries. which sucks, but my advice, (though I don't know your weight) is if you ever get around to it, pull the shock out, clean it, and put in 15w shock fluid. This "increases" rebound a little. I weight 230, and I notice a difference. It's not all "ooh ahh" or spectacular, but it's an improvement.

Also, scew with the preload on the forks, it's easy to do, you don't even have to pull your forks off. just pop the caps off, and add or remove spacers. I added about .5 inch I think in thick washers.

Works good for me.

TIRES:
As for the tires, I'm running Shinko 705, they have about 3.5k miles on 'em, as others say, front looks good, rear is gettin' down there... so I might have to give the ol' 700's a try. Heck, they're a good performing cheap tire.
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #62937
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
I'm sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Also, scew with the preload on the forks, it's easy to do, you don't even have to pull your forks off. just pop the caps off, and add or remove spacers. I added about .5 inch I think in thick washers.

Works good for me.
I weigh 210 wearing my gear and I had no intention of spending the money necessary for suspension upgrades. So I put 1/2" spacers under my fork caps, too stiff. Dropped down to 1/4", too soft; but both made a big improvement in my brake dive (which is what I was trying to improve). 3/8" would have been perfect for my weight. Pick your weight, add some preload to the forks and ride.

If you like to tinker, there's also air preload:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/935..._fromsearch__1

I had 1/4" plexi, so it's what I used.

But I had already done the Cogent shock group buy a year earlier, so I decided to splurge and do fork springs and emulators.
Hoooolllllllyyyyyyyy sheeeeeeet.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 01:49 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #62938
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Throttle tube..

Cut as much away as you can,soft wire wheel being careful.
5 minutes maybe and looking like new.

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #62939
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 533
Picked up an '07 650 a couple weeks ago since my brother was going to start riding the DR200 to get his feet wet...it's been fantastic! Put about 90 miles on her today going over to the state forest for a ride with no problems at all!

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #62940
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Well since I just picked up a used 2000 DR650 I thought that I would take a few minutes and throw on some new grips! I went to slice them off like all the other bikes I have ever done and was a bit surprised to find out that the thorttle grip is formed on to the tube. This is all that I could find from the past that was posted on this subject:

"My stock throttle grip was hell to remove, vulcanized (I think that's the term) to the throttle tube. Are you sure you were dealing with the factory grips? Don't mean to dispute, just wondering.

Sarah

So live and learn can I get some ideas from someone on how you handled this or any tricks you did to reuse the one that is on there? HELP! Thanks.
Yea it's a B I T C H! Must be at least 50 posts on the topic. That's why you need to read the WHOLE THREAD! Or at least the Index topics.

I used a Disc grinder to shave off the old rubber. The smart guys just replace the whole throttle tube.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote