Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #62926
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
that's funny cause I've been saying that to myself lately. I would like to try improved suspension, but for some of us its out of the financial boundaries. which sucks, but my advice, (though I don't know your weight) is if you ever get around to it, pull the shock out, clean it, and put in 15w shock fluid. This "increases" rebound a little. I weight 230, and I notice a difference. It's not all "ooh ahh" or spectacular, but it's an improvement.

Also, scew with the preload on the forks, it's easy to do, you don't even have to pull your forks off. just pop the caps off, and add or remove spacers. I added about .5 inch I think in thick washers.

Works good for me.

TIRES:
As for the tires, I'm running Shinko 705, they have about 3.5k miles on 'em, as others say, front looks good, rear is gettin' down there... so I might have to give the ol' 700's a try. Heck, they're a good performing cheap tire.
you'll love the 700's, on my second set...
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #62927
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Gasket removal

Use a plastic card such as an old credit card to scrape gasket without damaging aluminum.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #62928
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Picked up an '07 650 a couple weeks ago since my brother was going to start riding the DR200 to get his feet wet...it's been fantastic! Put about 90 miles on her today going over to the state forest for a ride with no problems at all!

Great pic! Thx. Feet wet, ya say.....

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #62929
njjisu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Works on mine.

Cool. Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
njjisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #62930
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Is that a backup light?
It's the "Eye of God" Whelen TiR6 red LED flasher with clear lens as a brake light.

MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #62931
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
LED is niceee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardschok View Post
It's the "Eye of God" Whelen TiR6 red LED flasher with clear lens as a brake light.
Cool very nice! the clear lens made me think it was a white light.
Is it just a brake light some have turn signals?

zdiver1 screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 05:15 PM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #62932
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
That's what I'm talking about. That's a nice piece, thought it won't fit the 650. May have to talk to a few buddies with machine shops and see if we can get something made for mine. Seems like certain after market or non oem parts for the fatchick are had to find.
I run the Scotts on my Bergs and wanted one for the DR too. The PC one was so cheap, it wasn't worth making my own. Any welding shop with Al Mig or TIg should be able to weld it up in a few minutes. I drilled mine to save a few grams

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #62933
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Cut as much away as you can,soft wire wheel being careful.
5 minutes maybe and looking like new.

All done and thanks for the constructive advice! One of the things I would do different is to maybe grind the little cone off the end or at least grind it flat. I put on some 714 Cushion grips and since they are so spongy the cone would curl the end back a bit. But it all worked out pretty well.

Ride-til-sore! screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 06:46 PM
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #62934
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
All done and thanks to those the gave some constructive advice! And to the rest!
What non constructive advice did you get? With this attitude you'll get no advice about anything in the future.

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #62935
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

Stock taillight rattled apart on me the other day... I had to zip tie it together for the ride home. DRZ250 tailight is now on order. I was hoping to use the stock one for at least a season but it didn't even last me one ride.

Next up on the list of mods will be a 35w hi/lo hid system, and while I am doing that I will be getting rid of the stock switches and replacing them with some nice Highway Dirtbike's units.

New tires are on the list...I got the bike with almost new Pirelli scorpions and they seem to do alright but something more aggressive would be very nice.
Nice Alfredo! When did you join the DR club? Nice looking bike (and tank bag )! Hope to see you on the Dinosaur ride...
Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #62936
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

I was first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
What non constructive advice did you get? With this attitude you'll get no advice about anything in the future.

Steve
My advise was get a new throttle tube it is not worth my time to F--- with a piece of plastic, so I ordered an Aluminum one and I will never have this problem again.
I was using a razor knife and cut the tube a few times.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #62937
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Steve
There fixed just for you Steve. RTS. Steve also.
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #62938
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I weigh 210 wearing my gear and I had no intention of spending the money necessary for suspension upgrades. So I put 1/2" spacers under my fork caps, too stiff. Dropped down to 1/4", too soft; but both made a big improvement in my brake dive (which is what I was trying to improve). 3/8" would have been perfect for my weight. Pick your weight, add some preload to the forks and ride.
If you like to tinker, there's also air preload:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/935..._fromsearch__1

I had 1/4" plexi, so it's what I used.
But I had already done the Cogent shock group buy a year earlier, so I decided to splurge and do fork springs and emulators. Hoooolllllllyyyyyyyy sheeeeeeet.
I agree ... NOT splurging for Race Tech Emulator's IMHO, is being Penny Wise and Pound Foolish. It's such a great upgrade ... and gives just that much more tunability with your forks.

Don't forget to try different weight oil in the tubes and different oil levels in the tubes. Makes a nice difference. The Emulators come with 3 little springs of their own. Soft, Medium, and Firm. So you've got those to mess with. Plus pre load.

The goal should be to ride higher in the stroke yet still be able to use most of the travel without harshness in the last 25% of stroke. Getting the forks perfect for both Road and OFF Road is tough ... but with some fiddling and comprehensive testing and notes you can get close.

Neglecting the rear end is also a mistake. The stock Shock sags too much and rides way down in the travel. The DR will Stink Bug on you and wander off road. It also won't do it's best in deep sand. A heavy spring alone, IMO, is not enough.

I don't worry about brake dive. If you know how to brake on a dual sport bike then this should rarely be a problem. USE BOTH BRAKES. With the rear brake employed ... front end dive will be reduced dramatically.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #62939
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
sorry guys, i was just feeling down about the experience.

i felt so exhausted and the bike was such a beast on the trail... it's not worth replacing the DR with something else, I just need a trail bike. and then i need a guzzi. then i'll need a street tracker. probably a sport bike........
I went on a really nice ride today my shifts were on and my stops were smooth and this reminded me of my three wheeler days when I was one with the bike moving with the bike when the rear would kick out I would kick it some more and whip it back and forth fish tailing in the sand! not stiff and not moving with the bike and not fighting it !
Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #62940
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh This week is Christmas for me!

I have my Acerbis 5.3 tank coming and my Mark 3 Pivot Pegz and will be installing my Gafler SS FT and rear high-performance brake lines !Later bed time!