Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #63286
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Is anybody using a Tusk front fender bag like this?

I put one on this weekend in anticipation of an upcoming trip. It looks good; aside from the 2 tire irons, it holds all the necessities - spare 21" HD tube, valve stem fishing tool, valve core tool, a little plastic vial of dish-soap, a tube patch kit, a rag, and a MSR 15' tow strap.

Wondering if this thing will stay put on and off road, and whether anyone puts a tether of some sort on in case it comes loose. I'd really have to lose it, but I would especially hate to crash because it slipped and got tangled in the front end.
I run a simple version of the Tusk. No tire irons or other stuff in the pouch.
I keep an eye on mine, making sure pull straps are cinched down tight. They loosen up over time. The notching idea might help ... but check them, especially riding off road. My pack stays on all the time.

I don't carry a heavy duty tube, just a standard tube. Years ago I used to put lots more in my fender bags, but found it affected handling off road. So now I run the minimum. The stuff you are carrying is EXCELLENT! Especially the valve fishing tool (I have yet to buy one of these!) soap, the valve stem tool! Must haves!
My cinch straps usually stay tight, but I check and re-tighten. After a year or so, check your tube. They can degrade over time, (wrap in plastic if possible) abrade and rub a hole.

I use a 3 liter Camel Back, it has zipped pockets/pouches to carry lots of odds and ends, like the small tire tools and more: (not levers) Lighter, patch kit, tiny telescoping magnet, LED headlight, rubber gloves, Simple Green, Epoxy, Super Glue, Zip Ties, Instant Skin, and lots more.

I carry my levers in my skid plate, and an extra in my tail bag. I also carry a spare rear tube in my tail bag and nut and bolt kit.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #63287
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:

Thanks. I read that in the instructions, but I thought that was to prevent the bag from sliding forward. Since our fender is wider in the front, sliding shouldn't be an issue.

How did you safety wire? Underneath the fender, side-to-side?

I thought about bolting through the fender, but aside from preferring no holes in the bag or fender, it's not really convenient, as I don't need the bag on all the time.
I have the much larger Moose Fender Bag. I also carry a set of Aerostitch Jumper Cables. I never had to receive a jumpstart, but have saved several others from a long push or tow.

I secured mine by drilling a tiny hole and using tiny ZipTies.

very clean and easily removed and replaced again.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 12:15 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #63288
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Tedred... Thanks for the reply and tips. The insight about the cylinder base gasket being changed after 2004 is exactly the kind of DR-specific advice and intel I'm trying to educate myself on. Any other year or model-specific insight you folks can advise on?

Also... thanks for the general advice when giving a potential purchase a look-over. I was curious about and assumed alot of folks probably changed the speedometer to an aftermarket digital alternative... good advice... if a bike has a low mile, shiny, original speedometer and is an otherwise worn out machine I'll steer clear... Thanks!

I like the DRZ400 too as a potential first bike... but believe the 650 would better serve my intended riding scenarios and style. When buying used I'm hoping this a plus in my favor... I'm hoping and assuming that when comparing the 650 and 400 there are more 650's out there with gentle miles (commuter, FS roads, etc)... I know that if I had the DRZ400 it would have more abusive miles!

Thanks for responding... Any other tips or sound advice out there?
I would begin reading this thread ... after a few months you'll know about everything to know.

The DRZ would be good if your emphasis will be Off Road. The DRZ is a bit lighter weight, better off road suspension. Many here have owned both ... like me.

It's child's play to disconnect the DR speedo ... but as discussed, they are lots of "tell tales" to determine type of use/abuse. The under side of a bike can tell you a lot. I would keep a look out for a nice low mileage bike, 2004 or newer. Seems we have about one or two new owners show up here per week. That's been going on for three years. So big group or DR650 riders.

Someday we'll have to organize a DR650 Rally! The V-Strom guys did this very successfully ... This from the first Reno rally in around 2005.

Reno John's V-Strom rally! (about 200 riders showed up from all over USA)

Rally in Germany
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #63289
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
I guess it it got removed after I posted about it? It was there when I posted the link, honest!
That's okay. You are one of the people who gave me the idea to buy the used shock so I got a friend with a Fleabay acct to buy one to pay me back for a Radeon 6970 Video card I had lying around.

I'll send that one to Cogent and let them do their magic on it while I continue riding my bike on the stocker.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #63290
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Very nice!
Thanks Diver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Track day. A good place to learn. I learned you should take the Ram ball mirror mounts off in case you overcook a corner. Hobbling around with a deep bruise to my right hip. All around, a good day.

An airborne DR......more nightmares.

Quote:
Is anybody using a Tusk front fender bag like this?

I put one on this weekend in anticipation of an upcoming trip. It looks good; aside from the 2 tire irons, it holds all the necessities - spare 21" HD tube, valve stem fishing tool, valve core tool, a little plastic vial of dish-soap, a tube patch kit, a rag, and a MSR 15' tow strap.

Wondering if this thing will stay put on and off road, and whether anyone puts a tether of some sort on in case it comes loose. I'd really have to lose it, but I would especially hate to crash because it slipped and got tangled in the front end.
I like the notched idea.

A short lesson in physics:
Heavy, really, really, really........................heavy. Fookin' wind gust. A guy can't even pee in peace.

I drug it over to the bank and it was still heavy. (I carry one of those 6' ratchet straps and use it over my neck and shoulder, so I can lift with my legs). So using a lesson I learned on ADV, I used my tire irons to dig two holes under the tires. Luckily there was a fresh layer of road base and it was easy to dig. And the reason for the physics lesson, now you can see how my fender bag is bungeed. My forces are under hard braking in the downhill rough stuff, this keeps the bag under the head light. I will be looking into the notch idea. There are two tubes, nothing else. My 16" tire irons are in the tailbag. Replacing a tube is a PITA, there's no reason for getting home and having to put the correct size tube in.

Valve core tool, one on each wheel, hard to lose, always have a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Sandwash & GC8 & ER70S-2 - thanks for posting up the pics. Part of the enjoyment is seeing other parts of the world occasionally without bouncing to the RR threads.

Still lovin' the bike setup, Goodcat8.
Thanks TH.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #63291
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
Hello, does your bike have 17 X 4.25 rear and 19 X 2.5 front. If yes did you have any interference issues? I like that set up and think it would work well around here.
Your bike looks great glad to see your back on a DR650.

Regards
It's a 17x5 something rear, and a 19x2.25 front.
150 rear x 120 front.

Zero clearance issues. Setup works great for me. Only complaint is the TKC's melt like butter on the pavement, but that was expected. Worth it once I hit the dirt. She's a ripper!

Excuse the KTM helmet decal......

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #63292
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I run a simple version of the Tusk. No tire irons or other stuff in the pouch.
I keep an eye on mine, making sure pull straps are cinched down tight. They loosen up over time. The notching idea might help ... but check them, especially riding off road. My pack stays on all the time.

I don't carry a heavy duty tube, just a standard tube. Years ago I used to put lots more in my fender bags, but found it affected handling off road. So now I run the minimum. The stuff you are carrying is EXCELLENT! Especially the valve fishing tool (I have yet to buy one of these!) soap, the valve stem tool! Must haves!
My cinch straps usually stay tight, but I check and re-tighten. After a year or so, check your tube. They can degrade over time, (wrap in plastic if possible) abrade and rub a hole.

I use a 3 liter Camel Back, it has zipped pockets/pouches to carry lots of odds and ends, like the small tire tools and more: (not levers) Lighter, patch kit, tiny telescoping magnet, LED headlight, rubber gloves, Simple Green, Epoxy, Super Glue, Zip Ties, Instant Skin, and lots more.

I carry my levers in my skid plate, and an extra in my tail bag. I also carry a spare rear tube in my tail bag and nut and bolt kit.
Good stuff. Thank you. I'll unpack it and put the tube in a heavy ziplock with maybe a wrap of duct tape for abrasion resistance.

After this trip, I may consider a switch to a reg duty tube, as the HD is expensive and heavy. But I suck at changing tires, so went HD thinking at least I won't have to do it again right away.

Wife and I can share tubes, so I have the 1 spare for both of us. After that, it's patches.

jon_l screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 05:20 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #63293
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Good stuff. Thank you. I'll unpack it and put the tube in a heavy ziplock with maybe a wrap of duct tape for abrasion resistance.

After this trip, I may switch to a reg duty tube, as the HD is expensive and heavy. But I suck at changing tires, so went HD thinking at least I won't have to do it again right away.

Wife and I can share tubes, so I have the 1 spare for both of us. After that, it's patches.
I like HD tubes fine and run them from time to time. But I don't carry HD spares due to bulk/weight. HD will resist flats better (especially pinch flats). I would carry at least two tubes for your bikes. I hate flat repair too ... I try to use the "Tom Sawyer" technique when friends are around to do the job.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #63294
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 435
I admire folks who will go off-road on bikes they can't easily pick up themselves, especially riding alone. I'm too chicken to do that.

I remember when I bought my Valkyrie in '98, it was easy to lay down on the engine guard and pick back up - doing a power lift, not the sissy back-into-the-bike way. Then, in 2011, I had to lay if down to slosh enough fuel from the right to the left side of the fuel tank to get to the next gas station. I was amazed how much heavier that bike had gotten in a decade! Well, I was loaded for camping the second time... Anyway, I almost had to resort to the girly way, and would have, but there was too much traffic going by and I didn't want to look like a pussy.

Good idea having a lifting strap available, gotta remember that for later.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
A short lesson in physics:
Heavy, really, really, really........................heavy. Fookin' wind gust. A guy can't even pee in peace.

I drug it over to the bank and it was still heavy. (I carry one of those 6' ratchet straps and use it over my neck and shoulder, so I can lift with my legs). So using a lesson I learned on ADV, I used my tire irons to dig two holes under the tires. Luckily there was a fresh layer of road base and it was easy to dig. And the reason for the physics lesson, now you can see how my fender bag is bungeed. My forces are under hard braking in the downhill rough stuff, this keeps the bag under the head light. I will be looking into the notch idea. There are two tubes, nothing else. My 16" tire irons are in the tailbag. Replacing a tube is a PITA, there's no reason for getting home and having to put the correct size tube in.

Thanks TH.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #63295
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
It's a 17x5 something rear, and a 19x2.25 front.
150 rear x 120 front.

Zero clearance issues. Setup works great for me. Only complaint is the TKC's melt like butter on the pavement, but that was expected. Worth it once I hit the dirt. She's a ripper!

Excuse the KTM helmet decal......

Where did you get that headlight? Want.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #63296
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

very clean and easily removed and replaced again.
I like the small holes and cable ties idea. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #63297
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Where did you get that headlight? Want.
Light here.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/...NCH_RACELIGHTS

Screen here.

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/flyscreen.html
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #63298
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 414
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I hate flat repair too ... I try to use the "Tom Sawyer" technique when friends are around to do the job.
Good idea. But then you have to carry all those apples with you..
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #63299
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Thanks TH.
We do have one of those caps on each bike, but I also have one of these:

And I figured some of the other 3 ends might one-day come in handy. I did separate it by pressing out the threaded pine so it isn't a "+" shape. Now it packs smaller and is less likely to damage other stuff.

I also have a space valve core, stem nut, and plastic cap, in case I drop something and lose it or get it hopelessly sandy.

The bungee cord worries me a little. If the clips let go, won't the whole pack be bouncing around on the bungee, with the potential to slide into the wheel?

jon_l screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 05:39 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #63300
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
A Rather Productive Weekend

The UPS and FedEx trucks were fighting for space in front of the house last week as everything I ordered for the bike came at the same time. Just like Christmas, some assembly required.

First a before picture, Pretty much stock except for the mirrors

Then came the TCI rack system, universal fit top case, and a pair of army surplus electronics shipping cases for saddlebags.

And there's plenty of room on the left side between rack and bike for a Koplin Tactical Gun Boot for my AR-15

And then came the Acerbis tank from Just Gas Tanks. It came drilled for the petcock only on the L/S but I received a R/S petcock. I drilled the R/S for the petcock and mounted it. I was planning to use the stock petcock on the L/S but it was a different shape than the hole already formed on the tank. I called JGT and Tom was very helpful. He said that since I ordered the tank when their website was advertising the tank as having dual petcocks, he would priority ship a L/S one to me at no cost. Now that's customer service!! So here's the latest version of my idea of an adventure bike... until the next delivery truck arrives that is.