Oddometer: 101,427

Thanks.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #63287
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
It's probably been posted around somewhere but i can't find it right now. those of you with vapor speedo's, what engine temps are you seeing? I'm usually around 270, then on long uphills I'll see up to about 310. But today while sitting in traffic 75 degrees out, i hit 355 :-(. how hot is too hot?
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #63288
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley View Post
It's probably been posted around somewhere but i can't find it right now. those of you with vapor speedo's, what engine temps are you seeing? I'm usually around 270, then on long uphills I'll see up to about 310. But today while sitting in traffic 75 degrees out, i hit 355 :-(. how hot is too hot?
My vapor remember its hottest temp and it was 328. I average around 285 when in the thick of traffic or in the desert slugging through dirt.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #63289
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Thanks for the pics, especially with the relocated turnsignals. I believe there's an Acerbis fuel tank in my future.

Is there clearance between the back of the turnsignals and the plastic of the handguards?

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #63290
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Thanks for the pics, especially with the relocated turnsignals. I believe there's an Acerbis fuel tank in my future.

Is there clearance between the back of the turnsignals and the plastic of the handguards?

Lex
The signals are just touching but the brackets can rotate forward for a bit of clearance if you need it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #63291
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

Oh.....hell yeah...... fookin' awesome.
Quote:
Excuse the KTM helmet decal......

Oh......hell yeah.......like that's gonna happen. Fixt........ to save the integrity of the DR650 thread.

Quote:
I admire folks who will go off-road on bikes they can't easily pick up themselves, especially riding alone. I'm too chicken to do that.
Lex, my body clock is broken. The riders I know want to eat breakfast at 7am and be riding by 8. That just doesn't work for me. Most of my riding is within walking distance of something that might have traffic (someone to help). If I didn't take those chances, I couldn't ride dirt. This is why I've had to eliminate my solo Utah Canyonlands rides, it could kill me. Hoping to buy an XT225 soon.

Quote:
I remember when I bought my Valkyrie in '98, it was easy to lay down on the engine guard and pick back up - doing a power lift, not the sissy back-into-the-bike way. Then, in 2011, I had to lay if down to slosh enough fuel from the right to the left side of the fuel tank to get to the next gas station. I was amazed how much heavier that bike had gotten in a decade! Well, I was loaded for camping the second time... Anyway, I almost had to resort to the girly way, and would have, but there was too much traffic going by and I didn't want to look like a pussy. Good idea having a lifting strap available, gotta remember that for later.

Lex
I learned that same lesson on the DR (in less than 10 years), luckily I was within walking distance of help. Since the DR lies flat on the ground, backing up doesn't work, even with a strap. DAMHIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
We do have one of those caps on each bike, but I also have one of these:

And I figured some of the other 3 ends might one-day come in handy. I did separate it by pressing out the threaded pine so it isn't a "+" shape. Now it packs smaller and is less likely to damage other stuff.

I also have a space valve core, stem nut, and plastic cap, in case I drop something and lose it or get it hopelessly sandy.
Sounds like you have it covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
The bungee cord worries me a little. If the clips let go, won't the whole pack be bouncing around on the bungee, with the potential to slide into the wheel?
I wondered about it myself at first. But with the elasticity of the fender and the tubes themselves, I'd ride the Baja 1000 with this set-up. Well, I would if I was 30 years younger.

Edit: you can get the straps really tight, not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
And there's plenty of room on the left side between rack and bike for a Koplin Tactical Gun Boot for my AR-15
Bikes and guns.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 09:21 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #63292
atpalmer
Broken

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
It's a 17x5 something rear, and a 19x2.25 front.
150 rear x 120 front.

Zero clearance issues. Setup works great for me. Only complaint is the TKC's melt like butter on the pavement, but that was expected. Worth it once I hit the dirt. She's a ripper!

Awesome, I can see the building I work at in this picture.
atpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #63293
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,974
Loving the DR...But hating how high up the foot pegs are. They feel awkward while sitting and standing. I'll be taking care of that soon.

Been diggin' the Wolfman (explorer lite) tank bag on the DR...it fits perfectly with the IMS tank and it sure does make carrying the essentials a simple thing.

I cleaned up the handlebar area, and made some more room...got rid of the bulky stock switch housings and replaced them with some nice ones from Highway Dirtbikes. I'm using a perch mount for the start/stop switches and the new headlight switch has an added "completely off" option for the headlight for stealth mode and keeping it off while trail riding. Paul at HDB makes some very nice parts that will fit our DRs...Check 'em out on his website: Highway Dirt Bikes.

Olas screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 10:27 PM
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #63294
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 606
Wanted to get a set of hard boxes for the bike on a budget, so I picked up a set of mermite cans and opened them up and refinished them. The insides have been bedlinered, and then the exterior is painted with hammer tone dark gray. I snagged a used ProMoto rack that should be here soon so I can get the mounts made and get them installed! Should be a very slick setup when its done!

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #63295
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
07 DR650 with GSXR can and Happy Trails rack & panniers?

Hi everyone,

Yes, I searched, and asked at Happy Trails, but no joy so far. I have a 2007 DR650 with the much sought after GSXR 40F0 muffler on it. It's hung with the little Kientech adapter and Kientech oversize midpipe, with an FMF powerbomb header. (and yes, with the recommended air box mods and procycle jet kit, it uncorked it nicely, thank you very much)

I am considering purchasing the Happy Trails Teton pannier system, and wonder if I will have any issues fitting it with that muffler. I believe it sticks out a hair farther than the stock setup but can't really be sure.

Anyone know? Anyone?

Any insight would be appreciated.

What an awesome thread!

Thanks,
Dean
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #63296
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
My vapor remember its hottest temp and it was 328. I average around 285 when in the thick of traffic or in the desert slugging through dirt.
Sounds like mine's running a bit hotter than it should.
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #63297
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
It's a 17x5 something rear, and a 19x2.25 front.
150 rear x 120 front.

Zero clearance issues. Setup works great for me. Only complaint is the TKC's melt like butter on the pavement, but that was expected. Worth it once I hit the dirt. She's a ripper!

Nice! What seat do you have on it? Procycle or Seat Concepts?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #63298
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,305
I'm liking that seat too . . .

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #63299
advchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Heat Shield

Anybody have a heat shield that goes on the pipe near the right leg for sale!!! Gets a little hot without one

Jenna
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #63300
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE View Post
I'm liking that seat too . . .
That's a ProCycle seat
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote