Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #63436
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
I have the new Acerbis and the stock fit Corbin. It doesn't fit in its stock form, BUT it's easily fixed. The brackets are too far back by a full inch. So I just moved the brackets toward the from of the seat, using the closest stock hole, then drilled a hole for the furthest forward bolt and pounded in a threaded spacer as an impromptu heli coil and bolted her down. Fits perfect now. The below pic shows how I moved it, before I drilled it.
Is this the new '96 - '12 acerbis tank?

I saw a listing in their online catalogue with the part numbers in red. Is it backordered or something? I'm looking for one up here in the Great White North or one that will ship USPS across the border.

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #63437
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Thanks for the help I will give that a try.
It is easier than it seems, Like msanna said, start from the front and then go towards the back with staples about 8-10 inches apart and then you can come back and put some staples in between. It helps if you have somebody to hold the seat when you try to pull and staple the cover. A good stapler helps too.

I did it in about half hour.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #63438
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie View Post

I saw a listing in their online catalogue with the part numbers in red. Is it backordered or something? I'm looking for one up here in the Great White North or one that will ship USPS across the border.
I got mine @ http:// justgastanks.com with free shipping ( in the U.S.)
Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #63439
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

Yeah it's the new one. I got mine from Pro Cycle. Seems like only the white ones made it across the pond to the U.S so far, with Natural and black coming. Folks over in Australia got the black ones in hand already. You may be finding them in short supply in places as this is the very first production run and the container they shipped over on just arrived a couple weeks ago and may be spoken for already. Not sure though.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #63440
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Irish75 View Post
Yeah it's the new one. I got mine from Pro Cycle. Seems like only the white ones made it across the pond to the U.S so far, with Natural and black coming. Folks over in Australia got the black ones in hand already. You may be finding them in short supply in places as this is the very first production run and the container they shipped over on just arrived a couple weeks ago and may be spoken for already. Not sure though.
I don't need a second petcock if I'm willing to to lay the bike on it's side to slosh to the left hand side, correct?

Will the stock locking gas cap work on the acerbis tank?

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #63441
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
I don't need a second petcock if I'm willing to to lay the bike on it's side to slosh to the left hand side, correct?

Not likely It looks like the Acerbis is threaded similarly to a dirt bike tank
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #63442
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Thumb When you get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
So my Acerbis tank should be here today or tomorrow. I am a little confuzzled and was trying to work it out reading through the thread but couldn't piece it together. Soo the tank comes with the supplied petcock facing the wrong way(forward)? I will have to have Acerbis ship me a different petcock then? I understand what you 2 petcock guys are going for but I am not going that route yet. I just want to throw it on there and go. (Dont mind tipping the bike to get the last drops if needed) Thanks guys.
Rinse it out a few times, I put some gas in it shook it up down and around drained it found small white plastic bits and did it again.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #63443
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I'm not even sure you will need a second petcock regardless. Sounds like they put a lot of R&D into this to run on one petcock. I bought the locking Acerbis gas cap and it fits and works great. It's self venting and you can use it with or without locking it. The stock Suzuki cap will not fit this tank.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #63444
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Is this normal ? I have done an 07' and an 09' NSU screw locktite job. Both were typical jap philips head type screws.
Today I opened up a 2012 with only 200 miles on it and saw these screws.
Unheard of or no fellas ?
I would be curious enough to remove the lower allen bolt and see if the NSU has a metal insert/sleeve in it now. That would likely keep them tight. If there is no metal insert/sleeve that the bolt passes through I would still remove one bolt at a time and either apply loctite or drill the bolts and safety wire them. It's hard to tell from the pic...are those allen flange style bolts or allen bolts with washers or maybe allen bolts with captive washers?

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #63445
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Went for a spin down to the river and took this one. It's like the bike absorbs light and just looks "meh" no matter where it is.

I'll see how well the white version looks when they arrive.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #63446
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
On another post I remember someone saying they went into Autozone with the part#/sku and the counter guy disappeared into the back and returned with the plug. Probably the last guy to ever try to help.

Procycle has them for $11.95. That won't help you today though.

Edit: Maybe O'Rielly(sic?), Pep Boys, etc may show something locally.
From my personal experience, I was able to locate the proper size and thread pitch oil drain plug from and auto parts store. Sorry I can't remember which auto parts store it was. First off the magnet was very weak. The magnet would barely support the weight of the drain plug when I stuck it to the side of my tool box, the plug slid right down the side of the box. Also the plug threaded in half way and got tight like it was a tapered pipe thread. The threads looked fine?! I didn't want to risk wiping out the the threads in the crankcase so I put the stock drain plug back in it. I returned the plug to the auto parts store for a refund and ordered one from Pro Cycle. I believe it was a bike master brand magnetic drain plug. It fit properly and had a much stronger magnet on it. Also using PC's oil filter magnet.

Tech23

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #63447
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
It is easier than it seems, Like msanna said, start from the front and then go towards the back with staples about 8-10 inches apart and then you can come back and put some staples in between. It helps if you have somebody to hold the seat when you try to pull and staple the cover. A good stapler helps too.

I did it in about half hour.
Finally got it all done. It started out as a nightmare as neither the heavy hand stapler or my buddies electric would do the job! Had the wife giving me a hand and a little way into it she got tired of me swearing at the SOB crappy staplers and told me just to run over to Harbor Freight and buy the air powered one! So with about 20 mangled staples sticking out all over my little project it was a trip to Harbor! 20min's after getting the right tool the job was done and looks great!
Two words of advice I would give to anyone else going to do this job. Either get an air stapler right away and save yourself some headaches and a crappy stapling job. Or have your wife help you and swear up a storm until she tells you to go buy one! Thanks for all the ideas and help from everyone on here!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #63448
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Finally got it all done. It started out as a nightmare as neither the heavy hand stapler or my buddies electric would do the job! Had the wife giving me a hand and a little way into it she got tired of me swearing at the SOB crappy staplers and told me just to run over to Harbor Freight and buy the air powered one! So with about 20 mangled staples sticking out all over my little project it was a trip to Harbor! 20min's after getting the right tool the job was done and looks great!
Two words of advice I would give to anyone else going to do this job. Either get an air stapler right away and save yourself some headaches and a crappy stapling job. Or have your wife help you and swear up a storm until she tells you to go buy one! Thanks for all the ideas and help from everyone on here!
Good advise, I've tried manual staple guns and even an electric stapler, neither one would sink the staple all the way home into the plastic seat pan. The electric gun would on occasion sink a staple properly but it took way too many attempts on each and every staple. That was one reason I sent my seat out. I would have no use for an air stapler with a manual staple gun and an electric staple gun around the house. Having the right tool makes all the difference.

Tech23

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #63449
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 624
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
to me..... It sounds like they put a lot of b&s into this to run one petcock. I reckon (based on nothing but the smell of it ) that this tank was originally engineered to be sold with dual petcocks, but that they bottled out and deleted the rhs petcock so they couldnt be dragged thru the courts if some buffoon allowed the rhs fuel line to leak/contact the exhaust header and .

"we only have one petcok coz we went to so much clever design effort to leave it out" (even though the internal boss for the second petcock is still moulded in - by all accounts).

I smell spin .

Regardless, if the acerbis was 6.6 gal as originally thought, i'd have me one in a heartbeat.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #63450
Go Irish75
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Spin or not, its still a decent tank, looks good and holds alot of fuel. As with all the other plastic tanks, its going to stretch and will hold more than 5.3 gallons anyway.