Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #63631
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Just so you know, a number of us have had trouble with the venting in those IMS lockable caps. They work fine for a while but eventually clog up and create a vacuum in your tank: poor fuel flow, especially when you've sucked down 3 or 4 gallons in the 5 gallon IMS tank. I like the 'no hose sticking up from my tank' so I replace my lockable cap when it starts to screw things up. Kind of a pain, I've gotten used to thinking of those caps as a "wear item'.

.............shu
Is there a way to "clean out" or "Clear" the IMS locking cap? I bought one a while back from an inmate ... it's been working fine so far. Could it be there are some passages that get clogged up with mineral deposits from water or dirt ... or a combo of both? Maybe the Locking Cap could be soaked? Or perhaps there are passages that could be clean with a thin Guitar string approach? Any ideas on this?
EDIT: I just saw Pro Cycle's earlier post ... Thanks! I will check mine out if I have any venting probs.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 09:40 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #63632
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
All true, but most riders don't have the knowledge, experience or parts availability to make those changes correctly for their particular machine. Setting the idle mixture screw just slightly to the lean edge works very well. Setting it to the rich edge generally doesn't work well and can cause a running problem that most DR owners can't otherwise tune out.
Getting one's hands on a smaller pilot jet and trying it should not be too difficult, I don't think. Neither should trying more float height. I will give you pilot air bleed size, emulsion tube size and needle base diameter, however I do wonder why has no one with the equipment and skills has figured out how to solve the problem properly. Once it was figured out, I would think most could apply the solution, no matter which of these it was.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #63633
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Getting one's hands on a smaller pilot jet and trying it should not be too difficult, I don't think. Neither should trying more float height. I will give you pilot air bleed size, emulsion tube size and needle base diameter, however I do wonder why has no one with the equipment and skills has figured out how to solve the problem properly. Once it was figured out, I would think most could apply the solution, no matter which of these it was.

Regards,

Derek
Hey Derek,
I've seen pro tuners at the races trying to juggle the many changeable carb elements ... and get so wound up they end up chasing their tail and never solving the problem ... or going backwards.

Every change usually affects every other element in the circuit. For the very experienced this is no problem. If you have testing equipment & parts and endless hours available for comprehensive testing, then no problem. Most don't ... and just prefer a "Kit" that hopefully fills in all the gaps and gets the bike running pretty well.

Didn't you work for Mark at Factory?

I didn't know the BST40 had a Pilot Air Bleed screw that was changeable.

Cheers for all the good info!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #63634
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I've had three of those filler caps in the past two yrs, 30,000 miles, and all three have leaked. Rubber gasket failed in each. This last time, I was over 800 miles away from home, stopping at each motorcycle store, NAPA, lawnmower shop I could find to try and get another gasket. I think I ruined my brand new Wolman Small Enduro tank bag from all the fuel it took on. How do I get the smell of fuel out?
I don't think I'll use this cap again.
There has been an upgrade IMS gas cap, is yours the newer one? I'd clean your tank bag with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemacduf View Post
Thanks for the advice about regional forum. I had a Vmax stage 3 with a 4 into 1 Kerker in the 90's...Ahhhh the memories.!!
If I'd had the V-Max in the 90's, it would have killed me ; too young and dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Top photo. Exact spot. I'll put up with it till I can get around to it. Doesn't look like it requires immediate attention?
Thanks for that.
Lyle
Yep, it can wait until you have the time.

Grifter, you must have missed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #63635
AZchris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
If you have $160 bucks to spend on your DR650 would you spend it on a seat concepts seat or a windshield?
1979 Vespa--------Left her in South Africa, fun little bike.
1982 CX500-------Crashed, but great first bike
AZchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #63636
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZchris View Post
If you have $160 bucks to spend on your DR650 would you spend it on a seat concepts seat or a windshield?
SEAT.

No question.

Don't forget Procycle makes a seat now too.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #63637
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
i have the procycle saddleman seat cover kit, no gel, and it was worth the investment.
It's not perfect, but 100 times better than stock, thats for sure.
only issue with the wider seats is my giant loop bag doesn't fit as snug over the seat anymore
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #63638
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
the stock seat is a torture dewice, imo...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #63639
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Looks like my Procycle order arrived yesterday evening.

I tried to pick it up but the danged USPS told me I had to wait until today
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #63640
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
No Dought SEAT!!! I paid less than $50.00 for my Spitfire windshield that I don't use that often. The seat get's used everyday!!!
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #63641
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,251
Quote:
The seat.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #63642
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,

Derek
A smaller pilot is definitely not the answer. The stock pilot jets works fine and going up or down from there only makes additional jetting issues. I suspect the off idle bog is related to the overlap where the pilot circuit is handing off to the needle. Sure, it might be solved by a needle with a different base diameter or a different size needle jet (emulsion tube) but those things are not readily available if they even exist at all - which I doubt. In the meantime the easy answer that works very well is to set the mixture screw slightly leaner than the best idle.

I challenge you to be the guy to develop the definitive DR650 jet kit. Do that and I could supply the outlet to sell a few zillion of them.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #63643
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I didn't know the BST40 had a Pilot Air Bleed screw that was changeable.
I think I went up 2 on the pilot and 1 on the pilot air.
Got the ratios closer to what the KTM's use.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #63644
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Grifter, you must have missed this:
Originally Posted by procycle
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roger that ... I posted before catching up on up dates. See my Edit.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #63645
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Welp yesterday I 12 O'clocked my DR being a damned hooligan. Bike is absolutely perfect except for the license plate bracket and shift lever. (Case armor rocks btw!) SS brake lines, Shift lever x2, tail tidy kit shipped today. Thanks ProCycle!
Mikey Boy is online now   Reply With Quote