Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #63781
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
Thanks msanna for the link. I'm needing to get my rear redone soon; I'll look into axis.

Cheers, matt

Try finding a used shock on Fleabay so you can get it re-worked while still riding on yours. Then you can sell yours to recoup some of your expenses.

I'm doing something similar to that. I picked up a shock (08 DR650) for $149 and forks (07 DR650) for $100 and I'm sending those off to be modded with straight rate springs and valving for more aggressive off-road oriented riding.

When I install them, then I'm going to send my stockers off to another company for different valving and progressive spring rates more oriented for street/light trail work.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #63782
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
What would be a good bag to attach to the rear cargo rack for carrying a change of clothes, a couple bottles of water? Can the stock rack hold say 15 pounds?

NC
The DR650 rear sub frame is pretty strong. You can easily carry 20 to 25 lbs. on the tail rack, even over rough terrain. Where KLR, BMW, XR-L sub frames bend or break with a load, the DR seems strong enough to handle it.

I have a few tail bags, but use my old Tourmaster Cortech (old style). It's not waterproof and leaks dust. I use inner bags. Pics below.

I mounted a simple piece of plywood on the stock Suzuki rack to widen the platform to hold a wider bag securely.

This was loaded for a 5 day ride and included Winter gear, (electric jacket, extra gloves and more)

Another random tail bag. Not sure who makes it. This one is directly on the rack itself. A bit small me thinks. l

Saddlemen make some nice tail bags at decent prices. They have a couple nice ones.
http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...ndex&cPath=239
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #63783
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Try finding a used shock on Fleabay so you can get it re-worked while still riding on yours. Then you can sell yours to recoup some of your expenses.

I'm doing something similar to that. I picked up a shock (08 DR650) for $149 and forks (07 DR650) for $100 and I'm sending those off to be modded with straight rate springs and valving for more aggressive off-road oriented riding.

When I install them, then I'm going to send my stockers off to another company for different valving and progressive spring rates more oriented for street/light trail work.
That's a great idea; and one I would be all over if I had the cash. It's hard enough to come up with $500 for the shock. Earlier this winter I planned to get the Cogent treatment while the bike was hibernating, but that didn't work out. Me and the missus had a son a few months ago; and strangely enough there is less $$$ for moto upgrades . (I told her she better start budgeting for two riders in the house! )

Cheers, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #63784
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Hi Paul

So on the 1st full tank since I installed your carb, i still only got 36 mpg, all commuting to work at 35-60 mph on city streets and knobby tires. I just dont believe all you people saying you getting 50+ mpg! :(

So not sure what to think now. I will say it seems to be idling quite high. I don't know how to see what RPM its running at though.

Anyway, I guess my problems are continuing. Too bad.

I was getting 45 to 50 mpg when I took it off and I am getting 50 mph with the tm40.
So I do not know what to tell him.
Any Ideas to help Putzy?
Replace the 2 O-rings on the float assy. It's possible that you are getting extra fuel in the float bowl while running. It doesn't show up as a problem while the bike is off because the petcock is vacuum operated.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #63785
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider58 View Post
so your KTM400 is geared too low and vibrates too much on the pavement? This too was one of my possible options for a lighter trail bike.
It's not that bad. I have 13/52 spkts. I put a 14th on for longer road sections. I also got the EE tall/soft seat for it, because sitting on a KTM seat is as bad or worse than the DR650. (I still have the stock seat on my DR) Vibes are nothing like I used to get on the KTM 2 stroke. 5 miles was torture. I routinely ride the 400 for 50+ miles on true dualsport rides, where the dirt roads far out number the trails. Not a problem, you will like the 400 a lot. Just don't expect to street ride it as your commuter bike and like it. But you can race the 400 in any enduro and still be smiling at the end.

With these 2 bikes I can do everything that interests me about motorcycling. Even planning a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall. I have a bunch of family members who are street riders and invited me along. I have never had any interest in street riding but will do so to take a week long trip with "the family". DR650 with a tire change and sprocket change (back to stock in both cases) and I'll have a street bike. Might borrow an AirHawk seat pad from my uncle also.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 12:27 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #63786
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
as far as bags go, i love my giant loop, can't even tell its there, the weight stays low and tight to the bike.
i rode in this morning through a rainstorm and all is dry
Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #63787
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
I used the Coretech Tailbag on my WR250X/R and it held pants, shirt, shoes, and a couple bottles of Snapple. Seems about the size you're looking for...

As for what the stock rack can hold, I have no idea. My 2012 didn't come with a Tail Rack. I'm still looking for a decent one.
You're right. My 2011 doesn't have one either. In my mind I was envisioning the grab handles as extending over the fender.

NC

NumberCruncher screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 02:00 PM
NumberCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #63788
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
+1 Coretech tail bag, no rack, fastened to grab bars. I find that something over the top (Rok straps), to hold the bag down, helps quite a bit. The stock bungee cord set-up only holds the bottom still. The stuff in the bag can sway at will. The stock bungies are dead, almost no elastic action remaining. The bag is a 2004 IIRC

Great bag and great signature line.

You are Denverish?? I'll be taking my DR650 and TXC250 to Colorado this summer. Looking forward to taking the DR650 up Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Crystal Mill, etc.

NC
NumberCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #63789
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
That's a great idea; and one I would be all over if I had the cash. It's hard enough to come up with $500 for the shock. Earlier this winter I planned to get the Cogent treatment while the bike was hibernating, but that didn't work out. Me and the missus had a son a few months ago; and strangely enough there is less $$$ for moto upgrades . (I told her she better start budgeting for two riders in the house! )

Cheers, matt
Do the work yourself, that way you don't have to waste the money paying someone to do it, and you get it done the same day.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #63790
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Replace the 2 O-rings on the float assy. It's possible that you are getting extra fuel in the float bowl while running. It doesn't show up as a problem while the bike is off because the petcock is vacuum operated.

This was a almost brand new carb sold by Zdiver to putzy, zdiver was getting like 50 mpg on his bike, and upgraded to the TM40, putzy bought his BST in hopes to fix his mpg problems
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #63791
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
This was a almost brand new carb sold by Zdiver to putzy, zdiver was getting like 50 mpg on his bike, and upgraded to the TM40, putzy bought his BST in hopes to fix his mpg problems
I wonder if it came with the choke plunger and if it is seated properly.
Any DR should be able to get 20 kms (12 miles) per litre. (56 mpg / imperial = 4.5 litre) easy.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #63792
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
as far as bags go, i love my giant loop, can't even tell its there, the weight stays low and tight to the bike.
i rode in this morning through a rainstorm and all is dry
Size looks right on the DR. Which GL is that? Great Basin or Coyote?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #63793
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
Coyote. I have the same one. Don't use it for a daily bag though, mostly an overnight or weekend. It's sturdy when mounted up and survived with just a rub when I rode it into the ground going about 30 on the dirt.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #63794
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
You can now add me to the list of expectant DRs.

Can't even really tell the extra weight is there, but I can definitely feel it when I'm trying to grip the bike with my knees.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #63795
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Tank & Panniers

The Tank looks great ...

How do you like those panniers ??

Thanks ...
Quote:
You can now add me to the list of expectant DRs.

Can't even really tell the extra weight is there, but I can definitely feel it when I'm trying to grip the bike with my knees.